P-8I maritime patrol aircraft

plugwater

awesome! but the date of introduction into the navy is 2013, so does it mean that the plane will be tested for 2 years?
Yes they are going to test it for 2 more years. But we ll get this AC by the time US gets it.

debasree

Country flag
navy will have a potent eye and weapon to guard indian coastline betterly hope when all bids arrived chineese snooping in our territory will be blocked parmanently

plugwater

Indian Navy's first Boeing P-8I maritime recce aircraft to fly soon

Boeing will soon conduct the first flight of a 737-800-based P-8I maritime patrol aircraft intended for the Indian Navy (IN), with the first unit emerging from the manufacturer's Renton Field assembly site in Washington.

Photographed at the facility early this month by a private aerospace enthusiast, (Image: Brandon Farris), the aircraft has emerged painted in Indian markings and assigned the registration IN320.
It is the first of eight IN P-8Is on order. The Boeing fleet will replace the Indian Navy's current Tupolev Tu-142 turboprops.
Derived from the P-8A Poseidon, now in development testing for the US Navy, India's next-generation maritime surveillance aircraft is scheduled to enter operational service sometime early 2013.

domain-b.com : Indian Navy's first Boeing P-8I maritime recce aircraft to fly soon

plugwater

Indian Navy's Boeing P-8I Completes 1st Flight

Boeing statement: The first P-8I aircraft for the Indian Navy completed its initial flight on September 28, taking off from Renton Field at 12:02 p.m. Pacific time and landing two hours and 31 minutes later at Boeing Field in Seattle.

During the flight, Boeing test pilots performed airborne systems checks including engine accelerations and decelerations and autopilot flight modes, and took the P-8I to a maximum altitude of 41,000 feet prior to landing. In the coming weeks Boeing will begin mission systems installation and checkout work on the aircraft at a company facility near Boeing Field.

"The P-8I program is progressing well and we are looking forward to this potent platform joining the Indian Navy as part of its fleet," said Rear Adm. DM Sudan, assistant chief of Naval Staff (Air), Indian Navy.

"The P-8I will provide India with the necessary speed and reliability to satisfy the Indian Navy's maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare requirements," said Dinesh Keskar, Boeing India president.

Based on the Boeing Next-Generation 737 commercial airplane, the P-8I is the Indian Navy variant of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing is developing for the U.S. Navy. In order to efficiently design and build P-8 aircraft, the Boeing-led team is using a first-in-industry, in-line production process that draws on the company's Next-Generation 737 production system.

"Flying the first P-8 for an international customer is a key milestone for our entire team," said Leland Wight, Boeing P-8I program manager. "We have transitioned to P-8I production, and remain on track to deliver the first aircraft to the Indian Navy in 2013."

The P-8I is the first of eight long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft Boeing is building for India as part of a contract awarded in January 2009. An option for four additional P-8I aircraft was included in the original contract.

The aircraft features open system architecture, advanced sensor and display technologies, and a worldwide base of suppliers, parts and support equipment. The P-8I is built by a Boeing-led industry team that includes CFM International, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Spirit AeroSystems, BAE Systems and GE Aviation.

Livefist.

Galaxy

Country flag
Boeing P8I Aircraft completes 1st Flight

SEATTLE, Sept. 28, 2011 -- Boeing's [NYSE: BA] first P-8I aircraft for the Indian Navy completed its initial flight today, taking off from Renton Field at 12:02 p.m. Pacific time and landing two hours and 31 minutes later at Boeing Field in Seattle.

During the flight, Boeing test pilots performed airborne systems checks including engine accelerations and decelerations and autopilot flight modes, and took the P-8I to a maximum altitude of 41,000 feet prior to landing. In the coming weeks Boeing will begin mission systems installation and checkout work on the aircraft at a company facility near Boeing Field.

"The P-8I program is progressing well and we are looking forward to this potent platform joining the Indian Navy as part of its fleet," said Rear Adm. DM Sudan, assistant chief of Naval Staff (Air), Indian Navy.

"The P-8I will provide India with the necessary speed and reliability to satisfy the Indian Navy's maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare requirements," said Dinesh Keskar, Boeing India president.

Based on the Boeing Next-Generation 737 commercial airplane, the P-8I is the Indian Navy variant of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing is developing for the U.S. Navy. In order to efficiently design and build P-8 aircraft, the Boeing-led team is using a first-in-industry, in-line production process that draws on the company's Next-Generation 737 production system.

"Flying the first P-8 for an international customer is a key milestone for our entire team," said Leland Wight, Boeing P-8I program manager. "We have transitioned to P-8I production, and remain on track to deliver the first aircraft to the Indian Navy in 2013."

The P-8I is the first of eight long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft Boeing is building for India as part of a contract awarded in January 2009. An option for four additional P-8I aircraft was included in the original contract.

The aircraft features open system architecture, advanced sensor and display technologies, and a worldwide base of suppliers, parts and support equipment.

The P-8I is built by a Boeing-led industry team that includes CFM International, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Spirit AeroSystems, BAE Systems and GE Aviation.

Boeing, the world's leading aerospace company and the largest manufacturer of commercial jetliners and military aircraft combined, has significantly expanded its footprint in India in both civil aviation and defense. India has selected the P-8I to fulfill its long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine requirements and the C-17 Globemaster III for its strategic and tactical airlift needs.

Boeing: Boeing P-8I Aircraft Completes 1st Flight

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
We've got a pretty good replacement for the Bears, however i believe we should not retire the bears yet, we should try and mordenise the bears and use them in low risk anti-piracy missions in east Africa(base them out of Madagascar/the Maldives maybe) and for airborne patrolling by the coast guard around Indian Ports.Those platforms still have a lot of life left in them.

also x2 to what Tronic said she's a wonderful lady the P8i is!

agentperry

IN should field them on lakshwadeep and andaman islands. it will give them better snoop capability. moreover number just to fill the vacancy are not enough. they should order some extra crafts so that in case we face enemy like plan or high on adrenalin pakistan(fidayeen)navy then we can have some replacements too.

Galaxy

Country flag
IN should field them on lakshwadeep and andaman islands. it will give them better snoop capability. moreover number just to fill the vacancy are not enough. they should order some extra crafts so that in case we face enemy like plan or high on adrenalin pakistan(fidayeen)navy then we can have some replacements too.
we need appropriately 21.

3 for each of the 7 naval port (Including Andamaan, Nicobar and Lakshwadeep)

We have order of 12, May be we buy more later. Even 12 can make good start. :thumb:

US has plans to acquire 117 P8A. :rolleyes:

plugwater

We have order of 12, May be we buy more later. Even 12 can make good start. :thumb:

We need much more than 21 with decent number of Global Hawks.

Japan operates 80 P-3C!

agentperry

us is afterall us. few hundred thousand american out of job cant affect the destiny of usa. they got more trouble back then in world war era but they came back and that too strong

StealthSniper

We need much more than 21 with decent number of Global Hawks.

Japan operates 80 P-3C!

And look at the size of Japan. I would like to have Global hawk in our inventory but I would hope in the coming years DRDO can maybe develop something that is as capable as the Hawk but domestically produced. Maybe Israel can help make a Indian Global Hawk a reality.

plugwater

And look at the size of Japan. I would like to have Global hawk in our inventory but I would hope in the coming years DRDO can maybe develop something that is as capable as the Hawk but domestically produced. Maybe Israel can help make a Indian Global Hawk a reality.
Problem with Global hawk is cost, it is more than 100 million for a piece.

DRDO with take 2 decades to produce something like global hawk, with Israel help it ll take minimum one decade.

We should not expect everything to be developed in India.

Articles