North East Security Watch

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
In retaliatory and defensive operations against these terrorist groups who are using sophisticated arms against the civilian population, around 30 of these terrorists have been killed in different areas. A few have also been arrested by the security forces, said CM N Biren Singh: Manipur Govt
https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1662787967587606528/photo/1

Cheran

Country flag
Why has this rebellion turned so bloody? Why are Kuki militants so hellbent on eradicating Meites, and as a result, Meites are also picking up guns?
Anybody with a better knowledge of the situation, explain to me why has this suddenly turned so bloody and turned into a full-fledged insurgency operation?
There were some reports of disproportionate growth of population in the Kuki dominated hills. Some people allege that these are refugees from Myanmar (Kuki,Chin,Zo) (via Mizoram). Others say millitants (KNA) in the guise of civillians also entered via Mizoram. There are also allegations that the violence was started by these militants.

maybe these milliants are still hiding in the hills & IA is hunting them down.

notaname

Country flag
Anybody with a better knowledge of the situation, explain to me why has this suddenly turned so bloody and turned into a full-fledged insurgency operation?
Or maybe government has decided to weed out the problem one's and for all, and took up the opportunity provided?

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
There were some reports of disproportionate growth of population in the Kuki dominated hills. Some people allege that these are refugees from Myanmar (Kuki,Chin,Zo) (via Mizoram). Others say millitants (KNA) in the guise of civillians also entered via Mizoram. There are also allegations that the violence was started by these militants.

maybe these milliants are still hiding in the hills & IA is hunting them down.
If I remember our govt. had a peace pact with these militant groups (NSCN-IM IIRC). But still, such widespread violence is not possible with a handful of militants unless one side has too much motivation and has escalated pretty far.

Or maybe government has decided to weed out the problem one's and for all, and took up the opportunity provided?
And the problem is ?

Vinash

Country flag
If I remember our govt. had a peace pact with these militant groups (NSCN-IM IIRC). But still, such widespread violence is not possible with a handful of militants unless one side has too much motivation and has escalated pretty far.

And the problem is ?
Peace pacts don't work.

They merely provide time for militant groups to regroup and increase their strength.

Cheran

Country flag

And the problem is ?
Myanmar was pounding militants in the Chin province. This caused an exodus, Mizoram gave a good number of them (noraml civilians + disguised (alleged) militants) refuge. Some might have crossed over to Manipur hills.

Also Manipur government end truce with kuki militants.

1685282605210.png

It might be that the IA & government decided enough is enough & is smoking those terrorists who were already present plus the one who might have crossed over due to Myanmar crack down.

Illegal migration + Pan ethnic solidarity (Kuki/Chin/Zo) + poor border management

Last edited:

tomthounaojam

Country flag
Why has this rebellion turned so bloody? Why are Kuki militants so hellbent on eradicating Meites, and as a result, Meites are also picking up guns?
Union Minister for State for Home, Shri Nityanand Rai is in town and I guess they wanted him to hear their voices I guess. And Honorable Home Minister is coming to Manipur Tomorrow.
Why Bloddy?
Desperate time calls for desperate acts.
1) I guess this is their last stand make it or break whatever happens next may sway either each side or return to the status quo.
2) Kuki have clear agenda they
A) They want to implement the 6th schedule which the Meitei opposed cause this may lead to an eventual separate state.
B) They are stateless like Kurds and desperate to have their own state, but so their cousin Mizo has their state so must be frustrating and sad not having their own state.
3) They wanted to eradicate Meitei from the hills and create such an atmosphere in Imphal with their minion to instigate violence so that they can play the victim card, and say like see how the meitei are kicking us out. Which is the return they would say see all Kuki are hills and Meitei in the Valley time to divide the hills and Valley.
4) Meiteis are picking up guns but mostly 12-bore short guns but no match for Kuki terrorists who are armed with high-end guns. What anger me most is that Kuki is saying they are villager defending their village, I was like with Aks and M-16.
5) Lastly they have not factored in the Naga part so let's see.
Ps: I heard the Kuki also fought/clashed with Tamil here in Manipur which is an extremely small community in Moreh town.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Union Minister for State for Home, Shri Nityanand Rai is in town and I guess they wanted him to hear their voices I guess. Desperate time calls for desperate acts.
Why Bloddy?
Desperate time calls for desperate acts.
1) I guess this is their last stand make it or break whatever happens next may sway either each side or return to the status quo.
2) Kuki have clear agenda they
A) They want to implement the 6th schedule which the Meitei opposed cause this may lead to an eventual separate state.
B) They are stateless like Kurds and desperate to have their own state, but so their cousin Mizo has their state so must be frustrating and sad not having their own state.
3) They wanted to eradicate Meitei from the hills and create such an atmosphere in Imphal with their minion to instigate violence so that they can play the victim card, and say like see how the meitei are kicking us out. Which is the return they would say see all Kuki are hills and Meitei in the Valley time to divide the hills and Valley.
4) Meiteis are picking up guns but mostly 12-bore short guns but no match for Kuki terrorists who are armed with high-end guns. What anger me most is that Kuki is saying they are villager defending their village, I was like with Aks and M-16.
5) Lastly they have not factored in the Naga part so let's see.
Ps: I heard the Kuki also fought/clashed with Tamil here in Manipur which is an extremely small community in Moreh town.
Thanks for the explanation. Few follow-up questions if I may -
  • Why do Kuki militants want a separate state? Are their rights/demands not fulfilled in the current state (Mizoram/Manipur)?
  • What enmity do they have vs. Meitei/other communities ?
  • How integrated/developed is the Kuki community in India/Manipur in general ? Are they all willing to pick up arms against the State of India/Police force in a full-fledged independence struggle ?

tomthounaojam

Country flag
Thanks for the explanation. Few follow-up questions if I may -
  • Why do Kuki militants want a separate state? Are their rights/demands not fulfilled in the current state (Mizoram/Manipur)?
  • How integrated/developed is the Kuki community in India/Manipur in general ? Are they all willing to pick up arms against the State of India/Police force in a full-fledged independence struggle ?
    Answer: That is something I can't explain but hey like all insurgency they started by demanding a separate country, They have 30+ different outfits among themselves so the agenda could be vast. Their Right: I would say there is Valley and Hills development index is disproportionate, they would say all the funding goes to the Valley but not the hills, My counter question is what your MLA doing? They all want to stay in Imphal and have posh homes and whatnot, you named it they have it. Also, Imphal is the capital of the State with Two districts so the Capital of course would have all the facilities like anywhere in the world but, you built a narrative that we are being neglected, are they neglected? Yes, but to the extent they are saying hail, NO.
    Do you mean Kuki, they don't have enmity with only Meitei, they fought with Naga, Paite, Tamil, Meitei, Karbi so least goes on.
    They are well integrated, recent UPSC exam two Kuki were cleared(ST quota) and most TOP post in Manipur are held by them. There are many high-ranking Kuki in many Indian prestigious services.
    They are picking up arms as of now but were under so-called Suspension of operation and was talking to GOI and GOM but I guess they have run out of their patience to fulfill their aspiration. They are smart enough to say all peace talks will be under the framework of the constitution. The problem is demanding the state to crave out from such a small state that it creates problems with each own. Ans Kuki will start claiming other minor tribes as them so that they can a bigger political and geographical agenda.

Crazywithmath

Country flag

And the problem is ?
The 'Hindu' CM is on record as saying encroachers (mostly Kukis and some other tribes) are going to be kicked out of govt/forest lands (to facilitate forest conservation, tourism and infrastructure developments). Also threatened to jail all 'illegal' Kukis.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
    Answer: That is something I can't explain but hey like all insurgency they started by demanding a separate country, They have 30+ different outfits among themselves so the agenda could be vast. Their Right: I would say there is Valley and Hills development index is disproportionate, they would say all the funding goes to the Valley but not the hills, My counter question is what your MLA doing? They all want to stay in Imphal and have posh homes and whatnot, you named it they have it. Also, Imphal is the capital of the State with Two districts so the Capital of course would have all the facilities like anywhere in the world but, you built a narrative that we are being neglected, are they neglected? Yes, but to the extent they are saying hail, NO.
    Do you mean Kuki, they don't have enmity with only Meitei, they fought with Naga, Paite, Tamil, Meitei, Karbi so least goes on.
    They are well integrated, recent UPSC exam two Kuki were cleared(ST quota) and most TOP post in Manipur are held by them. There are many high-ranking Kuki in many Indian prestigious services.
    They are picking up arms as of now but were under so-called Suspension of operation and was talking to GOI and GOM but I guess they have run out of their patience to fulfill their aspiration. They are smart enough to say all peace talks will be under the framework of the constitution. The problem is demanding the state to crave out from such a small state that it creates problems with each own. Ans Kuki will start claiming other minor tribes as them so that they can a bigger political and geographical agenda.
Very interesting, thanks for the reply.

So if I understand correctly, Kukis are divided among themselves, and they don't have a strong reason or motivation to fight for independence/a separate state. Since they are well-integrated into the Indian govt. and community this will further stop them from turning this into a bloody insurgency like Kashmir.

Their demand for a separate state is really unlikely unless they capture a part of Myanmar and declare it theirs, which we will be happy to accept as part of India.

So what short & long-term solution do you see to this problem? Also, why is the Manipur govt acting so spinless and helpless, or is it deliberate by the administration?

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Meitis are son of the soil, must ask then to lay down arms and let the army handle it or else they will get caught up as well.

tomthounaojam

Country flag
On a trivial note, Kuki land systems can lead to problems as well, like say the village chief has 3-4 sons and only can inherit the village chief post after his passing, the other can go someplace and claim that this is his place and he is the new chief so they are settlement keep on growing and this lead to land dispute as well.

shade

Country flag
Kuki tribals came over from Myannmar side including your insurgent groups, some directly crossed over as "refugees", giving heartburn to Manipur govt, and were detained, some were given open borders and red-carpet by Mizoram govt, since Mizo and Kuki are related tribes.

The already existing Kuki folks in Manipur are a minority along with the Nagas and live in the hill areas( 90% of state's land area ), Metei's live in the Imphal valley.

I guess the scheme here is to start a Kuki insurgency with the stated demand as a seperate country of Cookie-stan or whatever, but the actual play is to negotiate into getting a seperate Kuki state being carved out of Manipur.

TLDR this is an imported unga-bunga problem, I doubt the local/native Cookies would like to start some shit in which they will get smacked in response.

Govt should cleanse the state of the imported Cookies and drive them back into Myannmar, otherwise Meteis will run their own insurgency, and Govt will have to play police, mediator etc, too messy :facepalm:

shade

Country flag
Because you're literally dealing with imported Cookie insurgents hardened by fighting the Burmese Tatmadaw + Cookie civilians who have been flooding Manipur and Mizoram since the past one year.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles