Nirbhay Cruise Missile Development

Country flag
@LETHALFORCE, the HSDTV is not for this age, but for the next decade. And I can bet on it that by then it will be the requirement, and most definately not an overkill.
I have absolutely no doubt about this but IMO HSDTV will be more of a global bomber
and possibly a vehicle for space??

Last edited by a moderator:

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
Problem in Nirbhay cruise missile identified: Antony

New Delhi: Scientists have identified the problem in Nirbhay cruise missile, which led to its malfunction during the first test flight last month, and corrective design is being implemented, Defence Minister AK Antony on Wednesday said.

In a written reply in Rajya Sabha, he said, "Scientists have identified that Inertial Navigation System has malfunctioned and corrective design/modification are being implemented."

On whether the missile achieved only partial success, Antony said, "Yes. Except for covering the full range by flying in all way points, all the objectives set for the cruise missile functionality have been met fully."

Maintaining that the missile had a perfect launch with the navigation systems correctly touching the "first way point", he said, "Deviation was observed while going to second way point. When the deviation extended the safety limit, mission abort command was issued from the ground and the destruction mechanism inside the missile was activated."

In reply to a separate question, the Minister said DRDO has proposed to set up a missile testing centre and a launch pad at Machilipatnam in Andhra Pradesh at an estimated cost of Rs 1200 crore.

"The proposal is at a very initial stage. So far, only proposal for requirement for land has been initiated with the Government of Andhra Pradesh.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Noob question...

Would there be any legal ramifications to use the Brahmos propulsion in subsonic Nirbhay, thus making it a long range supersonic CM?

@sayareakd

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Noob question...

Would there be any legal ramifications to use the Brahmos propulsion in subsonic Nirbhay, thus making it a long range supersonic CM?

@sayareakd
Well it is not physically possible to do that both are different tech, but this LRCM is under development.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Plan 2012-2017 means possible induction by 2025... right? What's the name of the project?

Well it is not physically possible to do that both are different tech, but this LRCM is under development.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Dont know about CM but ballistic missiles are inducted after 3 successful tests, after that user trials. Now we have powerful supercompters to simulate the design. So development period has been cut shot. I hope same will be for CM.

Patriot

Country flag
Dont know about CM but ballistic missiles are inducted after 3 successful tests, after that user trials. Now we have powerful supercompters to simulate the design. So development period has been cut shot. I hope same will be for CM.
AFAIK, Nirbhay being our first project of this type, shall require extensive testing becuase of it's multi mission requirement & high tactical importance . Apart from that Nirbhay may also have Air Launch & sub lauch versions. I think , it may require atleast 10 -15 tests depending upon it's role definition, for a period of 2 to 4 years.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
@pat most of the system and sub systems are already tested on Lakshya. When all of them were found fit only then full version nrbhay was tested. Yeah each version rsquire new testing.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
@sayareakd... Only Livefist seems to have any info on this LRCM...

LFRJ-LRCM seems to be just a fanboy rumor like Surya ICBM.

Patriot

Country flag
@pat most of the system and sub systems are already tested on Lakshya. When all of them were found fit only then full version nrbhay was tested. Yeah each version rsquire new testing.
You are right about the testing & validation of those systems but what is required is validation of Nirbhay for various mission objectives. As I have read at some palce that Nirbhay mission profile could be in the range of 30 to 40 numbers with different types of payload categories, flight trajectories & waypoint mechanisms.

It is really good now we have such plaforms where we can test varioussub- systems in advance during the initial development phase itself, which helps shortens the development cycle. On the other hand we need this system fast & upgraded version of this like Nirbhay-2/3/4/5 with increased range, payload,ECCM & stealth capability.

Decklander

I wud request members to read my posts when this test failed. I had stated very clearly that it was not a malfunction of the hardware of the missile but failure of onboard software of navigation system. That can happen even with fully operational missiles anytime. I had also posted much before the world came to know that this missiles was chased and photographed real time by a SU-30. Infact the destruct button was pressed by SU-30 pilots.

venkat

^^^ok sir !! you may have access ..but why are you posting classified info?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
@Decklander sir, i wish they have control crash, so that engine could have been reused.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Noob question...

@sayareakd
1. Nirbahy and Brahmos are absolutely different classes of missiles.
2. It doesn't make sense having a very long range supersonic cruise missile (weight, utility)
3. It does make sense in having a very long range cruise missile (weight, utility)

Twinblade

Country flag
Second Nirbhay missile test likely by November
By SP's Special Correspondent
May 20, 2013:

Following the partial success of the Nirbhay subsonic cruise missile on its March 12 debut test, the development team has managed to identify the glitch in the inertial naviation system (INS) that forced them to push the kill button 17 minutes into the flight, following a perfect launch sequence. Defence Minister A.K. Antony confirmed in the Parliament that the problem had been identified and was in the process of being fixed.
The Nirbhay will be tested till 2017, following which it will be inducted into the armed forces. An air-launched and ship-launched version will also be developed and tested in tandem.
http://www.spsaviation.net/exclusive/?id=207&h=Second-Nirbhay-missile-test-likely-by-November

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles