New Assault Rifles for Indian Army

Which Contender`s Rifle has more chances of winning than others?

• Total voters

abingdonboy

Country flag
Don't place the bets now, Its not the time..

DRDO multi-cal is very secretive, we hardly know about it, the project seems dead now, But who knows it will be used for FINSAS anyways..
Sir i agree that it is too early to rule it out but if it is true the DRDO multi-cal will make its way into the F-INSAS project does that not mean the IA will be operating 2 different types of rifle for the foreseeable future (DRDO multi-cal and foreign rifle). The selection process for a foreign rifle is in quite advanced stages and a gun should be selected next year with it entering service in 2014. I don't see the why the IA would go down the route of trailing a multiple rifles and selecting them if they thought that they'd soon be getting just a good system from DRDO soon.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
@Kunal Biswas

So the IA is going to be inducting 2 different types of rifle for the F-INSAS project? I find this hard to belive. This news is that a foreign rifle (say ARX-160) will be ordered and inducted by early 2014 intially 60,000 units will be bought with full TOT coming that means the entire IA will eventually be equipped with this rifle. This I always assumed was because the DRDO rifle had failed to materialise (it has never even been shown except in some tiny picture at a defence exhibit and is scarcly mentioned) as such the IA was looking elsewhere. Also the IA wants to get the F-INSAS project moving along and not having a rifle will serverly hinder the project and the DRDO mulit-cal has got to be atleast 3-5 years away from being anywhere near ready to be inducted into the IA. But if the DRDO rifle is on track why is the IA going ahead with a foreign buy?? The two seem mutually exclusive- you buy one or the other, NOT both!

This news about a forign gun order seems more than concrete so I am going to hedge my bets and say the DRDO multi-cal rifle is never going to see active service in the IA.

It is sad but it is what it is

abingdonboy, FINSAS is next generation of rifle, what is asked in the present tender is this generation rifle, Plus FINSAS is not about rifle only.

Plus we have something called Defence dealers and agents they are bent on making India puppet in the hands of arms makers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I am talking about future solider programs..

=======================
=======================

For example :

=======================
=======================

DRDO rifle is just not Multi-cal but lot other qualities such as MRSP, Inbuilt electronics such as thermal / cam, etc future stuff..

Sir i agree that it is too early to rule it out but if it is true the DRDO multi-cal will make its way into the F-INSAS project does that not mean the IA will be operating 2 different types of rifle for the foreseeable future (DRDO multi-cal and foreign rifle). The selection process for a foreign rifle is in quite advanced stages and a gun should be selected next year with it entering service in 2014. I don't see the why the IA would go down the route of trailing a multiple rifles and selecting them if they thought that they'd soon be getting just a good system from DRDO soon.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
not related to this but interesting info

Our Price: $1,660.10 which is 90923.6770 Indian rupees
Mepro MOR M&P Tri-Powered Reflex Sight with Red Laser & IR Pointers
It does't need batteries, so its dont never goes out. Plus it has red and infrared laser.

It is not that our forces are not worth using the sight, but INR 90K for sight is on higher side. BTW Trijicon ACOG cost 18000 USD.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Riflew for special forces are ok, they needed full auto an light version weapons with scopes and all the goodies to perform well.
For reat of tender Mera Bharat Mahan.

Anoop Sajwan

Can any one tel about the price of rifle because ARX160 looks best but perhaps also more costly but bren look good with reasonable price.

So in opinion bren have better chances.

Anoop Sajwan

Can any one tel about the price of rifle because ARX160 looks best but perhaps also more costly but bren look good with reasonable price.

So in opinion bren have better chances.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Shorter & Lighter Rifle with reasonable accuracy >> TAR-21 bullpup..

M4 was not needed and even if it is, why M4 ? Why not HK416 even US SOF prefer HK over M4..

The SFs have Tavors in large numbers- pretty much enough to equip all the SFs. IIRCA the M4s were bought because they are lighter and have a retractable stock meaning they can be made shorter- this was required for airborne operations.

AshutoshNSingh

If that was the logic then, TAR-21 / X95 would not be in the list..

We dont know that TAR-21 / X-95 also have a 7.62m43 version, But it does have other wise wont be in competition on first place..

thats what even I wondered somewhere frm inside that if it doesnt have 7.62M43 how was it in the list? A bullpup 7.62M43 rifle has so far never been a success. If this one is, then TAR/X95 is perhaps the best option for Army. Already in service, and serving perfectly.

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
I believe only Colt CM901, Beretta ARX-160 and CZ-UB CZ805 Bren are multicaliber assault rifles.While the ACE is available in 3 different calibers but is not multicaliber like the HK416/HK417 and the TAR-21 Tavor & SG550 series are only available in 5.56mm NATO (SG550 production variant only has 5.56mm, 7.62x39mm is only prototype and TAR-21 is available in 5.45x39mm for Ukraine)

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Now then, what have the MoD decided to get for the INDIAN ARMED FORCES......?

Any news about that?

AJ-47

NEW DELHI, Nov. 19 (UPI) - The Indian army is implementing its Future Infantry Soldier Program 2020.
~
A key component of the program is to upgrade Indian army infantry weapons. The upgraded weapons to be acquired include foreign-made assault rifles, carbines, light machine guns and sniper rifles over the next two years..
To fill an initial order for 60,000 assault rifles, in the past two weeks the army has completed initial user trials of five guns contending for the contract, including

1.Beretta
2.Colt,
3.Israel's IWI,
4.Switzerland's Sig-Sauer
5.Czech Republic's Ceska.

Technical evaluations are to commence shortly, The Pioneer newspaper reported.
~
The winning assault rifle will come equipped with 5.56mm and 7.62mm (M43) caliber with interchangeable barrels conversion kits, with the 5.56mm option being used in a conventional war fighting role as the barrel will provide longer range, while 7.62mm configuration will be used in counter-terrorism and the counter-insurgency environment, as it will provide troops the capability to fire like AK-56 rifles.

Indian army to upgrade infantry weapons - UPI.com
1. I don't understand the idea behind the 2 different clibers. Is the 7.62/39 is so much better than the 5.56 in close range, that it's worth to go to all the dificulty in logistic, to have 2 type of ammo. and more parts?
In the same way of thinking we need to get maybe a third option with 7.62/51 for longer range.
A better way to go, is find the right calibre and built the rifle around it. May be a 7.00/43 will be the best choice.
2. Its look to me like few guns are missing, like HK-416, Remington ACR and maybe some more. Any reason for that?

Thanks
AJ

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
1. I don't understand the idea behind the 2 different clibers. Is the 7.62/39 is so much better than the 5.56 in close range, that it's worth to go to all the dificulty in logistic, to have 2 type of ammo. and more parts?
In the same way of thinking we need to get maybe a third option with 7.62/51 for longer range.
A better way to go, is find the right calibre and built the rifle around it. May be a 7.00/43 will be the best choice.
2. Its look to me like few guns are missing, like HK-416, Remington ACR and maybe some more. Any reason for that?

Thanks
AJ
well it comes from the doctrine of wounding and killing the enemy. 5.56 for wounding (for enemy military) and 7.62 for killing him (for terrorists).
Since wounding the enemy soldier will use up 6-9 enemy manpower, therefore it is better to wound enemy soldier then to kill him, as dead soldier is useless.
For terrorists it is opposite. Wounded terrorists does not use up any terrorists as they never care for their fellow terrorists and they dont come to their aid. So dead terrorist is best terrorist.

Since IA is banging their heads for both this calibers therefore multi barrel rifle.

Anoop Sajwan

Thanks
AJ
Right now there is no ammo which have combine capability these 2 ammo.

Where 5.56mm has better penetration capability, on the other hand 7.62 is much bigger round give wound, has greater energy than 5.56 & can cause instant kill.

IA want 5.56 ammo for conventional warfare where enemy has bulletprof vest etc.
while terrorist doesn't have this so 7.62 is better option bez instant kill by 5.56 is really rare.

IA is already using 2 type of these ammo for COIN & training so that IA using two type of gun for this Ak-47 & INSAS.
SO inducting muti-barrel rifle will decrease logistic problems drastically.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
6.5 & 6.8 have capability of both..

6.5 have more kinetic energy at close ranges and out preform most other rounds where as 6.8mm have better results at longer range..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles