New Assault Rifles for Indian Army

Which Contender`s Rifle has more chances of winning than others?

• Total voters

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Isn't the weight of weapon a factor which controls the recoil of weapon? If so how we can expect very light weapons like Arx160 and scar to perform well using 7.62mm rounds which needs considerable amount of weight as in case of kalashnikovs?Also what about the issue of stocking of 3 or more types of barells for a same gun in same armory?Isn't that gonna pose problems?Technically speaking multicals are good idea but am doubtful about its practical use.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Also what about the issue of stocking of 3 or more types of barells for a same gun in same armory?Isn't that gonna pose problems?Technically speaking multicals are good idea but am doubtful about its practical use.
Well in presently instead of only barrel, IA keep entirely different firearms together with there different spares too..

AKM also Insas also SVD, Bren also INSAS LMG, Sound practical ? though they do on regular basis..

Immanuel

Country flag
we currently have 7 Para SF and 3 Para Airborne Battalions, 8th para SF being raised. I am saying we need 10 Para SF, and 7 more para airborne battalions.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
we can also start heli borne para, specially after we are going to go for number of helicopters.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
PARA SF is used for heliborne, They are used over every terrain including marine environment...

In every major exercise or any Operation the involvement of third dimension is essential this is where heliborne troops ' PARA SF ' comes into the play..

AshutoshNSingh

Guns And Butter In Billion Dollar Arms Deal. India Today http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/billion-dollar-arms-deal-in-army-gun-manufacturers/1/221665.html

Last edited:

commando elite

instead of having so many calibres why doesnot IA standardise an intermediate round between the 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 for assault rifles and lmgs

Last edited:

pmaitra

instead of having so many calibres why doesnot IA standardise an intermediate round between the 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 for assault rifles and lmgs
Valid question.

I sometimes wonder why they even switched from 7.62 mm to 5.56 mm in the first place.

Now they will probably tout 6.2 mm. Fine by me. After another 5 years, they will come up with some new calibre.

They should simply stick to the following:
  • 7.62x39mm
  • 7.62x51mm
  • 7.62x54mm

Looks like MoD has been infiltrated with people hell bent of making India's weapons inventory completely heterogeneous, so that at the time of war, it becomes a logistics nightmare.

uvbar

Makes me sick that we can design a f...ing gun.
we can make a gun even taliban makes there own guns the problem is we have a reputation of no reverse engineering and making a gun with the IA requrements (no jamming , improved ergonomics, relaiblity ) is difficult

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If you see they also asked for 6.8 as well as 6.5mm..

In my view these are for study which is the better and hence if preformed better may replace 5.56mm so does M43 ..

So then IA might go for ( Suppose ) 6.8mm & 7.62x51mm ..

Valid question.

I sometimes wonder why they even switched from 7.62 mm to 5.56 mm in the first place.

Now they will probably tout 6.2 mm. Fine by me. After another 5 years, they will come up with some new calibre.

They should simply stick to the following:
  • 7.62x39mm
  • 7.62x51mm
  • 7.62x54mm

Looks like MoD has been infiltrated with people hell bent of making India's weapons inventory completely heterogeneous, so that at the time of war, it becomes a logistics nightmare.

abingdonboy

Country flag
What's the latest on this then? Who is leading and who is even in the fray? Do we even know which rifles the IA evaluated?

SOOOO much secrecy/amiguity around Indian arms purchases and especially the F-INSAS project.

smestarz

Country flag
NEW DELHI: Seeking to arm its infantry soldier with a lethal and sophisticated assault rifle from a foreign vendor, the Army has started the field trials for procuring over 60,000 assault rifles in a deal worth Rs 13,000 crore.
Of the 40 overseas vendors, whom the Ministry of Defence sent a request for proposal, only four have applied for the tender and the winner will replace the 1990's vintage indigenous 5.56 mm INSAS assault rifle inducted by the Army in its inventory reluctantly.
The four vendors had submitted their bids by mid-February. The Army wants its latest rifles to be equipped with detachable under-barrel grenade launchers, night-vision devices, laser designators and so on. The other requirement is that the rifles should be able to fire locally-produced ammunition. Sources said, "The trials have begun and considering the requirements of the force, the guns will be tested in deserts, extreme cold weathers, high-altitude regions and so on. At all the places earmarked, the guns for testing will be fired to check its accuracy, stoppages if any and any other technical requirements."
The tender for 66,000 rifles was dispatched to over 40 overseas vendors in December last year. According to Army officials, the size of the deal is set to increase as the force would equip all its infantry soldiers. The Central Paramilitary Force and state police undergoing modernisation programme would soon follow suit. According to the Indian Procurement Policy, the selected vendor will have to transfer of the technology to the state-owned Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) which will then manufacture the guns under licence within the country.
The present INSAS rifles were inducted into the Army in 1997-98 and has been employed extensively in the counter-insurgency in the area. However, the Army has always felt the rifle inadequate in meeting its operational requirement. On many a occasions in cold regions, the firing mechanism of the guns used to get jammed. The gun was designed by the military research body Defence Research and Development Organisation over a period of 10 years and manufactured by the OFB in another four years.
Seeing its track record, the Army decided to import one lakh Kalashnikov-designed AK-47 rifles from Bulgaria in 1995 for counter-insurgency operations. Its special counter-insurgency force Rashtriya Rifles continues to use AK-47. The INSAS Assault Rifles malfunctioning became an issue of contention between India and Nepal in 2005, when Nepalese Army complained that the rifles supplied by India to fight Maoist guerillas malfunctioned repeatedly, resulting in heavy casualties.

Army begins trials for new assault rifles
13000 crores for 60,000 assault rifles that is about 21 lakhs per rifle.. are you serious??
You can get assault rifles at few thousand dollar.. some top of the line SNIPER RIFLES come at about $ 10,000 which is about 5.5 lakhs I really wonder what they are using with 21 lakh assault rifle?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
That must be coz of the additional barrels and other parts coming with it, Every Rifle have conversion kit..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
13000 crores for 60,000 assault rifles that is about 21 lakhs per rifle.. are you serious??
You can get assault rifles at few thousand dollar.. some top of the line SNIPER RIFLES come at about $ 10,000 which is about 5.5 lakhs I really wonder what they are using with 21 lakh assault rifle?
Since RTI is not applicable to Defence and national security, people will have free run. That is why we had strong CAG, now they will put more then one member to tame him. Actually commission agent and middlemen were making peanuts when they saw 2G and coal scams. So they must have hiked the figure for purchase, to be at par with great scams of India.

Reactions: uss

mikhail

Country flag
What's the latest on this then? Who is leading and who is even in the fray? Do we even know which rifles the IA evaluated?

SOOOO much secrecy/amiguity around Indian arms purchases and especially the F-INSAS project.
hi mate,its a real pleasure to have a guy like you in this forum:wave:!i think the IA will be inclined to something like FN-Scar if it comes with the multi caliber version.btw please upload some of your amazing videos regarding the Indian Armed Forces!

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
That must be coz of the additional barrels and other parts coming with it, Every Rifle have conversion kit..
Not just that but if you read the IA's RFI on the F-INSAS rifle you will see they are asking for a bunch of add-ons/accessories and not just basic, stripped down rifles in the form the INSAS is/was delivered to the IA. And when you add optics, laser designators (visual and IR), UBGLs,flashlights, foregrips, bipods etc etc (of course not every rifle will have all of this equipment as that is not possible) then the cost very quickly escalates. Decent optics alone can range from $500-1000+ USD depending on what you are looking for (red dot/telescopic). I am quite impressed though with the foresight shown by the IA. With my cynical hat on I'd have said "yeah the IA will buy high-tech, state of the art rifles from abroad but they will come stripped down and will be in effective" but the IA seems to be going about this in a snesible and proffesional way and I have to say I am rather excitied about the prospect of a new rifle in the IA's hands!.

hi mate,its a real pleasure to have a guy like you in this forum:wave:!i think the IA will be inclined to something like FN-Scar if it comes with the multi caliber version.btw please upload some of your amazing videos regarding the Indian Armed Forces!
Thanks a bunch mate-much appreciated. I do try to upload my vids here where possible!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles