Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
5th extension for bid submission on 29,762 for NIGHT SIGHT (IMAGE INTENSIFIER (II)) FOR ASSAULT RIFLES

now it's may 23.

I still don’t understand the utility of weapon mounted night sights v. Helmet Mounted ones. Aren’t you going to remain blind in the dark when you aren’t looking through the sights and holding the weapon up the whole time? Rather that being able to see in whichever direction you look without lifting up your weapon each and every time.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I still don’t understand the utility of weapon mounted night sights v. Helmet Mounted ones. Aren’t you going to remain blind in the dark when you aren’t looking through the sights and holding the weapon up the whole time? Rather that being able to see in whichever direction you look without lifting up your weapon each and every time.
maybe this is for spotting movement and initiate fire from farthest distance possible from a post at night when required.
these are not the only NVG they are buying, this is one form factor.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Are these in use by any other contemporary army of other nations ? Or is it that others started with night sights and moved away from it in favour of nvg ? Because it looks suspiciously like yet another case of outdated thinking by IA

ManhattanProject

Country flag
Its stupid, Thermal scopes make much more sense mounted on a rifle.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
10 years is a reasonable time span for a reality check.

what improved for IA infantry in terms of equipment since 2013 to 2023?

keep it to infantry wide changes, part of the standard kit all over the country, not theatre specific improvements and acquisitions, .
leave out equipment in trails or small/partial quantities or yet to be delivered.

some i could think of :
- uniform (in progress)
- MRE rations

Mangal

Country flag

keep it to infantry wide changes, part of the standard kit all over the country, not theatre specific improvements and acquisitions, .
leave out equipment in trails or small/partial quantities or yet to be delivered.

some i could think of :
- uniform (in progress)
- MRE rations
Helmets.
Rigs.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
aren't these are being seen in specific theatres in north and east? haven't started showing up in regimental exercises in large numbers.
helmets and BPJ order number is around 2 lakh each so far i think.
And don't forget the whole fiasco around SMPP bpjs that were brought.still haven't seen them used by troops in the field

Mangal

Country flag
aren't these are being seen in specific theatres in north and east? haven't started showing up in regimental exercises in large numbers.
helmets and BPJ order number is around 2 lakh each so far i think.
Yes that's correct. But I have seen security wearing a mix of new and old rigs at cantonments. But your point by and large is more valid.

NotASussyBoi

Country flag
And don't forget the whole fiasco around SMPP bpjs that were brought.still haven't seen them used by troops in the field
i saw some pics of them being used by rr and was it artillery corps? its used but i'm afraid the quantity is lacking for the smpp bpj

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
i saw some pics of them being used by rr and was it artillery corps? its used but i'm afraid the quantity is lacking for the smpp bpj
The last I heard about it was the soldiers were taking the plates out of SMPP vests and using them on their fisherman vests because SMPP vests were so heavy

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag

some i could think of :
- uniform (in progress)
- MRE rations
Mp9s
Better helmets although not in huge numbers
Some sniper rifles although don't know if infantry has them
And ngev lmg instead of insas lmg in process ig

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Mp9s
Better helmets although not in huge numbers
Some sniper rifles although don't know if infantry has them
And ngev lmg instead of insas lmg in process ig
yes, MP9s are showing up more what they used to be 10 years ago.
16000 NGEV LMG would suffice for entire infantry?

another_armchair

Country flag
yes, MP9s are showing up more what they used to be 10 years ago.
16000 NGEV LMG would suffice for entire infantry?
Afair, the requirement floated was for 41,000 LMG's in the 7.62 NATO category with Negev emerging as front runner.

The order will most likely get scaled up to 41,000 unless we go back to our SOP of placing piecemeal orders and making a khichdi of our inventory.

More details here.

The NG-7 was selected for outright purchase by the IA via the MoD’s Fast Track Procedure (FTP) in late 2019 over Arsenals MG-M25 and S&T Motiv K12 LMG fielded by South Korea’s S&T Daewoo following trials by an IA team in all three countries. The acquisition followed MoD approval for the LMG’s procurement in February 2018 to meet ‘urgent operational requirements’, after an earlier tender for them was terminated in August 2017.
At the time the MoD had called off the Rs 300 crore contract for 9,462 7.62x51mm LMG’s after IWI had emerged as the ‘sole vendor’ with its NG-7 following user trials between 2015 and early-2017. Thereafter, the MoD had terminated the tender due to procedural ambiguities centred around finalising contracts involving solitary vendors, thereby obviating possible claims of wrongdoing.
Meanwhile, the proposed follow-on order to acquire 41,000 7.62×51 LMGs is being processed under the Indigenously Designed, Developed and Manufacture or IDDM category of the DPP-2020, to further the governments Atmanirbhar initiative aimed at augmenting self-reliance in defence equipment.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles