Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

methos

Country flag
Re: Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

There is a saying that "Quantity is Quality of its own".... what matter is if you have achieved your objectives ...
Because the madman responsible for the war and most major decisions regarding the German strategy had very stupid objectives and no idea about warfare at all.

karn

Country flag

1. The DRDO chose to not go with the autoloader and go with the manual option,which was then a safe, reliable and trusted choice compared to the unreliable auto loaders of the T-72s, which as per some reports meant that the tanks were as feared by their crews as by their opponents. A simple choice, and besides, the army specifically asked for the 4 man crew. No point stabbing your fingers at DRDO/Arjun over it.

2. Whoever are you to disagree? I didn't state an opinion, those are facts. If you want I can toss in the entire research literature on load distribution and geotechnical mechanics for load analysis. So if you're going to disappove of them, you better be one established genius.

3. I can't help you if you want to miss the road for the roadkill. Don't you know anything about gears, rpm, torque and their relationship with acceleration? Whoever gave you the impression that heavier tanks are forced to use lower rpm? That's why I urge people to atleast know what they are talking before making ridiculous comments.

Read up torque and it's necessity for acceleration.
1.I was arguing for an autoloaderwith a 3 man crew in the FMBT . Putting an autoloader in a tank not meant to house it would be a sub optimal solution.
And that is the thinking in DRDO as well . GO to the 22 minute mark
The first arjun was an improved vijayanta just like the army wanted the design got updated twice but the layout remained roughly the same.Back in 1972 the army had not yet seen an autoloader it is not surprising the direction arjun took.
2.Sorry I what I meant to say is that you are wrong . There are heavy american and german designs that sank into mud despite having on paper low ground force .
Or you know we could increase the track width on the t 90 just a little bit and end this stupid comparison .
3.Meh .. I was thinking of different types of engines and their transmission and was totally wrong . As in turbine engines develop power faster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Unless one also increase the size of the wheel and other details including the suspensions also, Its not just increasing the size of the tracks ..

Or you know we could increase the track width on the t 90 just a little bit and end this stupid comparison ..

karn

Country flag

Unless one also increase the size of the wheel and other details including the suspensions also, Its not just increasing the size of the tracks ..
All you need to do is lengthen the torsion bars .

karn

Country flag

Is that from your work experience or you read or heard about this somewhere ..
When designing the object 432 (the predecessor to the t64) it weighed 30 tonnes which was a significant upgrade over object 430 but then the new L7 gun was revealed . So the designers at Kharkiv decided to go ahead with composite armour to make it resistant to the L7 . But this increased weight to 35 tons . To compensate a new engine was developed and transmission was modified by extending torsion bars and using newer gears . This resulted in a tank with significantly better mobility than t 62 .
The upgrade from t 44 to t 54 is similar (but not exact)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

I think what you quoted does not talk anything about wider tracks or lowering Ground pressure rather about compensating increase weight of same platform with heavier Armour ..

If you are looking for some clues about wider tracks and lowering ground pressure, I suggest you go through and know about your own Arjun MK2 development before bumping on someone`s else project..

I think we started the debate over Arjun itself, Its quite annoying also surprising that you don`t know anything about your own ..

When designing the object 432 (the predecessor to the t64) it weighed 30 tonnes which was a significant upgrade over object 430 but then the new L7 gun was revealed . So the designers at Kharkiv decided to go ahead with composite armour to make it resistant to the L7 . But this increased weight to 35 tons . To compensate a new engine was developed and transmission was modified by extending torsion bars and using newer gears . This resulted in a tank with significantly better mobility than t 62 .
The upgrade from t 44 to t 54 is similar (but not exact)

karn

Country flag

I think what you quoted does not talk anything about wider tracks or lowering Ground pressure rather about compensating increase weight of same platform with heavier Armour ..

If you are looking for some clues about wider tracks and lowering ground pressure, I suggest you go through and know about your own Arjun MK2 development before bumping on someone`s else project..

I think we started the debate over Arjun itself, Its quite annoying also surprising that you don`t know anything about your own ..
We were talking about increasing track width on t 90 and I specifically mentioned how wider tracks and increased mobility was achieved in an earlier project with the same torsion bar suspension .
Arjun has a different hydro pneumatic suspension and I wouldn't know tracks can be widened on that .
Edit: I see I left out the bit specifically about increasing track width for which torsion bars were extended to make space for the wider tracks :fp:

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The simple physics here is that, If you want to make modification to one part of such a system it also force other parts to change their dimensions too ..

Otherwise,It will cause tear and breakdown, I suggest again you to go through the Arjun MK2 development where such problems were encountered and solved by CVRDE ..

karn

Country flag
The simple physics here is that, If you want to make modification to one part of such a system it also force other parts to change their dimensions too ..

Otherwise,It will cause tear and breakdown,
The t 64 works doesn't it ? Thats not physics its a question of design .
I suggest again you to go through the Arjun MK2 development where such problems were encountered and solved by CVRDE ..
Links please .

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I cannot say about T-64 as i have never seen it in person nor their developers ..

============

MK-2s weight is expected to increase from 62 tonne to 67 tonne. The suspension has been re-designed to handle 70 tonne. the revised tracks will have an increased horn length (19 mm) and the wheels have become slightly bigger.
Source : LIVEFIST: India's Arjun Mk.2 Tank Revealed

The t 64 works doesn't it ? Thats not physics its a question of design .

jouni

Best men, best training and best tank. The formula for success.

Last edited by a moderator:

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
General Dynamics wins contract to convert additional Abrams tanks to M1A2 SEP V2 configuration

The U.S. Army TACOM Lifecycle Management Command has awarded General Dynamics Land Systems $49.7 million under an existing contract to upgrade M1A1 Abrams tanks to the M1A2 Systems Enhancement Package (SEP) V2 configuration. General Dynamics Land Systems is a business unit of General Dynamics.

M1A2 Abrams main battle tank fitted with the Systems Enhancement Package V2

The most technologically advanced digital tank, the M1A2 SEP V2 includes improved color displays, day and night thermal sights, commander remote operated weapon station (CROWS II), a Thermal Management System (TMS) and a tank-infantry phone. The M1A2 SEP V2 maximizes the fighting ability of the tank on today's battlefield while preparing the platform for tomorrow's challenges. The original multi-year contract was awarded in February 2008, which authorized the upgrade of 435 M1A1 tanks that have been in the Army's inventory for more than 20 years. General Dynamics is continuing the conversion of the tanks in the Army's active component to the M1A2 SEP V2 configuration. Production will be performed by existing employees in Anniston, Ala.;Tallahassee, Fla.;Sterling Heights, Mich.;Lima, Ohio;and Scranton, Pa., and is expected to be completed by January 2017.

General Dynamics wins contract to convert additional Abrams tanks to M1A2 SEP V2 configuration | February 2015 Global Defense Security news UK | Defense Security global news industry army 2015

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles