Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

Akim

Country flag
IMHO every tank designer should go to as good design with minimum of flaws or weaknesses as possible. To be honest I never saw anything of such approach in any German tank. They were or unreliable machines, or unnececary big and heavy, or have so idiotic design solutions like main sight placement in Leopard 2.

Can You understand that? Even Morozov when he was designing T-64, he knew perfectly that sights placement in frontal armor openings, was weakning front protection, even if it was simpler. This is why T-64 and later all Soviet tanks had sights going through the turret roof, not front armor.

Or ammunition storage, if Germans new that solution during Leopard 2 R&D phase, why they didn't isolate whole or most of ammunition like Americans did. This is important for crew survivability. If crew knows that they have more chances to survive, they morale will be higher and they will be able to more efficent fight.

I do not understand this, I don't understand why such decisions were made with Leopard 2 and I completely not understand why people prize such design with so many wrong design solutions without any purpose... I think it is still that myth that Germans are making "great" armored fighting vehicles.

While in fact when we look at history of AFV's development, the best and most ambitious, most promising designs were allways made in Soviet Union and USA.

And in my opinion Your poor knowledge and opinions are a good joke.

Tanks are incredibly usefull in anti insurgency operations. This is what makes them so universal and great combat platform. They can engage many different targets. They can quietly sit in outpost and quitly observe not by hours, but days or weeks even. With their great optics and weaponary, a single tank sitting on some hightened spot, can be used like a big precise sniper rifle that can engage targets further than 2,500m.

You know what maybe read about what real soldiers fighting in Afghanistan thinks about tanks. Canadians, Danish and American soldiers are very happy with them.

Damn even our soldiers when they were in iraq know how usefull tanks are in urban anti insurgency operations, when nothing else, no artillery, neither air forces, but American tanks rescued Polish soldiers that were under siege in City Hall of one of Iraqi cities.

So before You say something is a joke, read something about real war, not what some people sitting thousands of kilometers from war, things how it should be done. :/
Leopards to not time not involved in fights. And Abrams and soviet tanks of the third generation how many times "burned". Therefore, it is impossible to compare a theory to practice.

Damian

Leopards to not time not involved in fights. And Abrams and soviet tanks of the third generation how many times "burned". Therefore, it is impossible to compare a theory to practice.
This is why I say that Americans in the end, and also Soviets, designed better tanks or used better design solutions (not all of course), because of much greater, practical experience. Americans for example, much more, upgraded armor protection of their vehicles, than probably any other country, well maybe besides Israel.

But who says that they do not use more weight efficent composite armor for example? Contrary to 99% of west european nations, Americans have much greater needs and motivation to improve, to progress.

militarysta

@Damian

If You call this major modernization... then I really not know what to think. Don't know how this is made in Leopard 2,
Damian in Leo2A6 more then 60% fire power was changed:
- new gun
- new stabilization and elevation and azimuth drives (full electrics)
- new PERI
- repleced sytem in main computer
- modernization EMES-15 components
etc
In Leo2A5 only gun is "old" but whit new gun manted mask.

I completely not understand mentality of Germans. Instead of making progress, finding the best solution, they seems to be happy with outdated sighting system. Tank need to be well prepared to fight in all conditions. Even in Afghanistan, sigthing system in M1 series gives better results because even as a stationary outpost, tank can detect, identify and eventually engage targets like groups of insurgents. So better sighting system is allways better.
It's greate that You mentioned Afghanistan - in that country "outdated" FCS in LeoA4CAN and Leo-2A5DK, and Leo-2A6M CAN was able to contoled area around 5000m, and many times Leos fired beyond 3km range. You can read about this in Nowa Technika Wojskowa - there was articles abour Dutch and Canadian leo's.
It's firs - second - EMES-15 was developed to achive best result in central europe heavy wether conditions on ~1500m range:

Leopard 2A6EX is non existing, it was technology demonstrator, nothing more.
Of course it exst but not as "EX" but as E, HEL, and partial as Strv.122 ;-)

As for targets identification, Americans do not need normal day light target identification. They have CIP's and FBCB2/BFT system, so commander of each vehicle, can check position of other friendly and detected and marked enemy vehicles on map that shows also his own position.
The same as germnas, swedish, and spain, and greek, All that Leo-2 tanks have BMS but its not a point. Normal optical channel have some atvantages.
BTW - can You explain - CITV in M2 is conected by optical channel or by wire? It's important, and You know better how it is made in M2.

Not to mention that saying that Leopard 2EX or upgraded ones have thicker hull armor is pure manipulation and lie. Lower Front Hull is thicker in M1 series, while the glacis plate have variable thickness, ~50mm over driver station, and ~80mm over rest of glacis plate surface. I proved this with photos.
1)Methos was writting about roof armour and As I understand glastic palte. And in Leo-2 is thiccker - in turret case definetly and without doubts. In glastic plate is 40mm "old" RHA plate and 40mm new NERA plate. Whole is definetly 80mm at 7. so it at least 650mm LOS.
2) We don't know if glacis plate have 50 or 40mm over driver (IMHO its 2 inches) , but definely You don't proved that it is 80mm over rest of glacis plate surface - there is no singel photo about that! This what You posted is "nest" on the fuel cap whit clearly visble screw(thread) inside hole for fuel cap. And You are taking this "nest" whit inner "screw/thread" as a whole glastic thickness!

And three proof why You are wrong:
1) If glastic plate over driver seat is thinner (2 inches) - why this thinner place is over his legs? It havne't sense. So weaker armour is not only around hatch. Why?
IMHO: becouse whole upper glastic plate have 2inches.
2. http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/rob_mccune/m1a1/images/m1a1_339_of_586.jpg
Photo when welds are visible - it's look like "T" welds not diffrent. So thickness should be the same on whole area.
3. Rear fuel cap:
http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/rob_mccune/m1a1/images/m1a1_190_of_586.jpg
and it's inner fuel cap:
http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/rob_mccune/m1a1/images/m1a1_191_of_586.jpg
It's almoust sure that frontal fuel cap have the same double builds:
external: http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/brent_sauer/m1a2/images/m1a2_21_of_33.jpg
So as I said - You takes "nest" whit inner "screw/thread" for inner fuel cap as plate tchickness. What is wrong!

Damian

Damian in Leo2A6 more then 60% fire power was changed:
- new gun
- new stabilization and elevation and azimuth drives (full electrics)
- new PERI
- repleced sytem in main computer
- modernization EMES-15 components
etc
In Leo2A5 only gun is "old" but whit new gun manted mask.
This is irrevlevant. You can defend this flawed tank. Anyone who thinks impartially will see these flaws.

It's greate that You mentioned Afghanistan - in that country "outdated" FCS in LeoA4CAN and Leo-2A5DK, and Leo-2A6M CAN was able to contoled area around 5000m, and many times Leos fired beyond 3km range. You can read about this in Nowa Technika Wojskowa - there was articles abour Dutch and Canadian leo's.
It's firs - second - EMES-15 was developed to achive best result in central europe heavy wether conditions on ~1500m range:
And from what distance they were able to identify targets with their outdated sights? I doubt that with max 12x zoom You can properly identify target as big a man at 5,000m and be sure that he has assault rifle or RPG.

And if someone design tanks to perform adequatly only in one theater is... idiot.

Of course it exst but not as "EX" but as E, HEL, and partial as Strv.122 ;-)
No it's not. There were differences between EX and E, HEL and Strv122. You can says such things some noobs. Not me. :/

The same as germnas, swedish, and spain, and greek, All that Leo-2 tanks have BMS but its not a point. Normal optical channel have some atvantages.
BTW - can You explain - CITV in M2 is conected by optical channel or by wire? It's important, and You know better how it is made in M2.
European BMS systems are joke. Their armies do not have digital architecture.

M2? You mean M2 Bradley? Yes in M2 Bradley it is via cable. Not only that, image is also digitally corrected if there is some interference. So quality is allways good.

1)Methos was writting about roof armour and As I understand glastic palte. And in Leo-2 is thiccker - in turret case definetly and without doubts. In glastic plate is 40mm "old" RHA plate and 40mm new NERA plate. Whole is definetly 80mm at 7. so it at least 650mm LOS.
2) We don't know if glacis plate have 50 or 40mm over driver (IMHO its 2 inches) , but definely You don't proved that it is 80mm over rest of glacis plate surface - there is no singel photo about that! This what You posted is "nest" on the fuel cap whit clearly visble screw(thread) inside hole for fuel cap. And You are taking this "nest" whit inner "screw/thread" as a whole glastic thickness!

Maybe stick with Leopard 2, Your knowledge about other tanks is limited, very limited. And this drawings of Yours are in this case completely false. I proved that by showing You some photos. You are just too biased about Your beloved Germans to see the reality. So I will not discuss with You about this untill You start to see reality.

And three proof why You are wrong:
1) If glastic plate over driver seat is thinner (2 inches) - why this thinner place is over his legs? It havne't sense. So weaker armour is not only around hatch. Why?
IMHO: becouse whole upper glastic plate have 2inches.
2. http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/r...339_of_586.jpg
Photo when welds are visible - it's look like "T" welds not diffrent. So thickness should be the same on whole area.
3. Rear fuel cap:
http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/r...190_of_586.jpg
and it's inner fuel cap:
http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/r...191_of_586.jpg
It's almoust sure that frontal fuel cap have the same double builds:
external: http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/b...2_21_of_33.jpg
So as I said - You takes "nest" whit inner "screw/thread" for inner fuel cap as plate tchickness. What is wrong!
You are using completely wrong photos, and make wrong conclusions. I seen fuel tanks taken out from M1 tank fuel tank cavieties. They fill the cavity completely.

As I said, if You have poor knowledge about non German tanks, stick to the German tanks. I'am tired to repeat all the time providing You with proper photos and sources.

If You want to belive in this idiotic myth about German superiority this is Your problem. I provided enough proofs, and I'am too tired to repeat myself also to You for eternity.

militarysta

BTW:

@Damian:
IMHO every tank designer should go to as good design with minimum of flaws or weaknesses as possible. To be honest I never saw anything of such approach in any German tank. They were or unreliable machines, or unnececary big and heavy, or have so idiotic design solutions like main sight placement in Leopard 2.

Can You understand that? Even Morozov when he was designing T-64, he knew perfectly that sights placement in frontal armor openings, was weakning front protection, even if it was simpler. This is why T-64 and later all Soviet tanks had sights going through the turret roof, not front armor.

Or ammunition storage, if Germans new that solution during Leopard 2 R&D phase, why they didn't isolate whole or most of ammunition like Americans did. This is important for crew survivability. If crew knows that they have more chances to survive, they morale will be higher and they will be able to more efficent fight.

I do not understand this, I don't understand why such decisions were made with Leopard 2 and I completely not understand why people prize such design with so many wrong design solutions without any purpose... I think it is still that myth that Germans are making "great" armored fighting vehicles.

1. And of course You dont even mind about how poorly cames Soviet night vision FCS - it was ~800m in night when we compare it to 2000m Leopard-2 EMES-15. I end of 80s. upgraded soviet night vision can achive even 1200m in typical weather conditions. And it's next disadvantages focusing only on armour integrity - when You have main sight in frontal armour or without simple optical channel (like in EMES-15) but you have to placed in the main sight so many lenses and mirrors then imaging quailty is mucht worse in night. Like in TIS for examle.
Again M1 and Leo2 solutions:

And fire power is the same important as armour protection.

2. Germnas throw beyond the turret crew comparment all "flammable" factors - 120mm ammo, hydraulic pomp, hydraulic pipes, etc.
Americans do the same only with main ammo. So in turret case germans solutions is definetly no worse or even better.
In hull case only problem is hull amoo but its placed in the best pleace. And this hull ammo store exist like in all rest tanks in the world. So where is problem?

3. Again You are trying making for only crew protection aspect only and the biggest factor when You rating tanks. And it's alway is compromise beteen fire power, armour, and mobility.

Akim

Country flag
BTW:

1. And of course You dont even mind about how poorly cames Soviet night vision FCS - it was ~800m in night when we compare it to 2000m Leopard-2 EMES-15. I end of 80s. upgraded soviet night vision can achive even 1200m in typical weather conditions.

In war of 1967 Israel on tanks in general did not have devices of nightly vision, and they shot Arabic Т- 62. Vice versa when surplus of technical perfection is in a machine, then the degree of preparation of man diminishes.

Damian

1. And of course You dont even mind about how poorly cames Soviet night vision FCS - it was ~800m in night when we compare it to 2000m Leopard-2 EMES-15. I end of 80s. upgraded soviet night vision can achive even 1200m in typical weather conditions. And it's next disadvantages focusing only on armour integrity - when You have main sight in frontal armour or without simple optical channel (like in EMES-15) but you have to placed in the main sight so many lenses and mirrors then imaging quailty is mucht worse in night. Like in TIS for examle.
You are talking about nightvision, what about thermals? T-90MS have much more advanced FCS and better thermal sights than Your beloved outdated Leopard 2... But I understand that some people just have... a weakness to vintage design solutions. :rofl:

Again M1 and Leo2 solutions:

And fire power is the same important as armour protection.
And what this proves? In the end even if TIS had worser quality image, Americans replaced with newer sighting system, that occupies the same space and offer superior capabilities to anything else we seen in all currently used tanks. So what You want to proove here? That everyone should use outdated design solution, that also makes front turret armor with a big nice hole, only because it is German solution?

Then my congratulations to being objective and impartial. :/

2. Germnas throw beyond the turret crew comparment all "flammable" factors - 120mm ammo, hydraulic pomp, hydraulic pipes, etc.
Americans do the same only with main ammo. So in turret case germans solutions is definetly no worse or even better.
In hull case only problem is hull amoo but its placed in the best pleace. And this hull ammo store exist like in all rest tanks in the world. So where is problem?
Again, You try to defend completely idiotic solution. Hydraulic liquid, the modern one is not flammable. More than that, Americans also do not have hydraulic pump in crew compartment. Who said it is placed there? I even didn't seen any on interior drawings or photos, simply because there is no space for one.

So in fact Americans solution is better because:

A) Propelant charges of ammunition are far more prone to start burning than hydraulics.
B) Hydraulic pump is not in crew compartment.
C) All dangerous object like main gun ammunition or hydraulic pump are placed outside crew compartment.
D) In Leopard 2 hydraulic pipes are also in crew compartment so they can be connected with servomechanisms of turret traverse and gun elevation mechanisms.

3. Again You are trying making for only crew protection aspect only and the biggest factor when You rating tanks. And it's alway is compromise beteen fire power, armour, and mobility.
Crew protection is the most important factor because:

A) Crew is most important and expensive part of a tank. Armies spend more money to train feed, keep in good health soldiers manning these vehicles than on vehicles per se.
B) Crew that knows it can survive any situation, also armor perforation is far more efficent.
C) It is completely idiotic to design a modern tank without ammunition isolation, thus making crew less survivable.
D) Did You ever seen dead crew members of a tank in which ammunition cooked off? I would not want to happen even for my biggest enemy, to die such way.

Maybe try to think twice before You start prise some design only because of Your sympaties to a nation that designed such vehicle. I prise vehicles for their characteristics, capability to be improve and survivability, not because they are made by nation A or nation B.

Last edited:

methos

Country flag
If you see random numbers smaller than 25 in the following text (which are not marked as weight values or other stuff), then it probably are footnotes. I wrote my answer in some text editor because I did have internet connection troubles. There I used the footnote-function for my sources.

So their claims are completely wrong. M1A2SEP was fielded in v1 variant in 1999. M1A2SEP v2 had more improvements to it's FCS. And currently whole M1A2SEP fleet is made from v2 versions that were fielded around 2010.
Actually they are right. The contract for the SEP v.1 was made in 1995, but the first serial tank was delivered in 1999 - this matches with what they claim. I just assumed that the U.S. didn't order a serial production without any pre-series vehicles.
Could you please provide a source that all M1A2 SEP v.1 were upgraded to M1A2 SEP v.2?

If You call this major modernization... then I really not know what to think. Don't know how this is made in Leopard 2, but in M1 if You have new ammunition, the only thing changed in FCS is ammunition ballistic data memory card.

The whole gun system is modified, it has a new barrel, a new recoil mechanism, a new gun mounting, new gun and turret drives, new stabilization etc.1 The commander has a night channel, the system now also accepts the first laser echo to engage helicopters and the FCS got an electronic shooting mode for faster engaging.
The computer per se may have stayed the same as previously (which is honestly a thing I don't know), but the computer now has to work with a large number of other components. According to the Swedish manual from the FÖRSVARETS MATERIELVERK the Strv 121 (Leopard 2A4 loaned from Germany) had a GE8109A029 STN ATLAS ballistic computer, while the Strv 122 (Leopard 2A5 version) has a GE8109A039 STN ATLAS ballistic computer... so it seems that it was replaced.

Day channel is not nececary for CITV, 2nd generation FLIR gives very good quality image. Besides this CITV is part of system, not just a commander periscope with thermal camera. I know that
The very good image quality is something I don't doubt – however if two countries have similar equipment on the battlefield and only one of these two countries is you enemy, how do you see the differences between them? It doesn't matter if a T-72 has a woodland camouflage pattern or is pink coloured, the thermal imaging system will show you exactly the same thermal signature.
It's also the same with the infantry – you can engage them, but you cannot be sure that they belong to your enemies. A day channel gives you here the great advantage that the commander does not have to use his sight blocks (which have a very limited usefulness on long ranges) or turn the whole tank turret to the detected vehicle/infantry.

I completely not understand mentality of Germans. Instead of making progress, finding the best solution, they seems to be happy with outdated sighting system. Tank need to be well prepared to fight in all conditions. Even in Afghanistan, sigthing system in M1 series gives better results because even as a stationary outpost, tank can detect, identify and eventually engage targets like groups of insurgents. So better sighting system is allways better.
The outdated sighting system works perfectly. The "outdated" EMES-15 still has the same magnification than the M1A2 SEP without digital zoom – and a slightly better than the previous M1 and M1A1. When it comes to day channels the EMES-15A2 (which also has a 4x daysight channel) outperforms the gunner's sight of the M1 and M1A1.1
I don't know if the System Enhancement Package includes new daysights or not, but if they are just better than the ones of the M1A1, then it is not a very large difference between them and the EMES-15A2... but I have never read that the day channel of the gunner's sight was changed.

The main point speaking for the German FCS components and the EMES-15 however is their performance. CAT shooting and the Greek trials show that

As for targets identification, Americans do not need normal day light target identification. They have CIP's and FBCB2/BFT system, so commander of each vehicle, can check position of other friendly and detected and marked enemy vehicles on map that shows also his own position.
That's nice if they are operating alone. But if they are working together with another country, which doesn't have FBCB2/BFT...
Let's say the U.S. would invade Iran after the Iran went to war with it's neighbor countries... how would they U.S. tank commanders find out if the tank they see is a Iranian T-72 or from another country?

Leopard 2A6EX is non existing, it was technology demonstrator, nothing more.
The Leopard 2A6EX served as base for the Leopardo 2E (Spain) and Leopard 2A6HEL (Greece). Features like the increased protection at the hull and the turret roof, the air-conditioning system, the APU and some minor stuff were passed from the Leopard 2A6EX to the Leopardo 2E and the Leopard 2A6HEL.
Btw: There were two demonstrators.

What makes You think that M1A2SEP is not better protected?

In this document it is clearly said that recently M1A1SA and M1A2SEP recived frontal and side armor upgrades. How do You know what is empty and combat weight of these tanks right now? I don't and Americans seems to not be very keen to share such data for these newest variants."

The combat weight of the M1A2 SEP v.2 is 69.29 short tons.1 Converted to metric tons this is 62.85 metric tons. The combat weight of the SEP v.1 is 68.57 short tons, which equals 62.2 metric tons.2 Also note that the source does not mention that the protection of the SEP v.2 is higher than that of the SEP v.1, but says "The M1A2 SEP has improved frontal and side armor for enhanced crew survivability" - there is no indicator that the SEP v.2 utilizes newer armour than the SEP v.1.
The combat weight of the Leopard 2A6 is 62.4 metric tons,3, 4 although some German websites claim a lower value.5 The Strv 122 has a combat weight of 62 tonnes,6 so the Leopard 2A6EX will probably weigh 64 tonnes.

Even if the Leopard 2A6 weighs only 60 tonnes as claimed by panzerbear.de, then it still has a turret weight of 21 tonnes – according to various sources the turret of the M1A2 SEP will weigh ~22 - 23 tonnes.

I don't have values for the exact empty weight, but the M1 typically carries more stuff external and also has a greater interior volume – so it also can carry more stuff internally. It seems very unlikely that it has less non-armour weight than the Leopard 2.

If the armour is more weight efficient, then not by much – I haven't seen any real improvent without increase of armour thickness... there are improved steel alloys and improved ceramic tiles, but these does not offer a too high increase in protection – using these the cost increase very fast. AMAP for example is very mass-effective, but for reaching a higher level of protection than previously you need in nearly all cases a thicker armour... the density of materials was decreased to improve performance.
I cannot see that the SEP v.1 (nor the v.2) has thicker armour than the M1A2, and the same can be said about the SEP v.2... especially since your source did not mention that there is difference in armour between M1A2 SEP v.1 and SEP v.2.
Most forms of very mass-efficient armour require an increase in thickness. ERA, NERA as breaking stage, etc. Still it seems likely that they uses more mass-effective armour than the M1A2... but this does not mean that it is better than the Leopard 2A5.
I don't doubt that the M1A2 SEP has stronger armour than the M1A2, but I doubt that the M1A2 has the same level of protection as the Leopard 2A5/6.

Here is a small (and very rough) sketch which does not represent real armour thickness and dimensions:

The left side shows the Leopard 2A6 turret layout, the right one the M1 Abrams. There are now four reasons speaking against the M1 being better protected at the same weight (and level of technology):
1. the turret of the M1 is wider and therefore it has a larger frontal profile – with the applique armour both tanks have similar frontal profiles, but there is less surface under full armour protection on the Leopard 2A6
2. the M1 Abrams carries composite armour over the full side – the Leopard 2 has only a very small side area which has to be armoured, most of the turret side is covered by the front and the less armoured bustle
3. the Leopard 2 has a thicker armour (even though it is hollow), i.e. more space to interact with the projectile, there is more time in which the fragments of a projectile can spread
4. the turret of the M1 has more internal volume – which means that more of the weight is not located in the armour (for example the roof weight)

See: You claim that the armour of the M1A1 and later models is 960 mm thick. However you are alone with these claims... I measured drawings – they show less armour thickness. I took a look at Russian forums and websites – they claim a smaller armour thickness. I took a look at wikipedia – they claim a smaller armour thickness there. This does not mean that you are wrong, but believing in you without proof or source is unreasonable.
There is some interval of armour thickness: 820 mm,1 850 mm,2 880 mm3 and 960 mm. I will not believe in the extrema without any reason – the middle values are closer together and they are reasonable if we take a look at other vehicles.
For the Leopard 2 there was also such an interval: 650 mm,1 800 mm,2 ~1000 mm3. In the end the middle value was the most correct and from looking at other vehicles it was also the most reasonable. And for the T-90 there are also various sources putting the armour thickness at 800 to 950 mm...
I often use google for gathering information if a topic interests me and I don't have any book about it and I am too lazy to go to the library. While googling I often find your older posts on militaryphotos.net etc. were you wrote that the Leopard 2 must have thinner armour than the M1 Abrams and possible has 500 – 600 mm thickness. This seems to be some dogma you believe in: "the M1 is having better armour than all other tanks".
You said that some Pole in American service wrote to you that it is ~900 mm... but still you made it 960 mm, while other estimates (880 mm for example) are way closer.

Not to mention that saying that Leopard 2EX or upgraded ones have thicker hull armor is pure manipulation and lie. Lower Front Hull is thicker in M1 series, while the glacis plate have variable thickness, ~50mm over driver station, and ~80mm over rest of glacis plate surface. I proved this with photos. Besides this, frontal hull fuel tanks also acts as additional spaced protection for hull front.
"[M]anipulation and lie" in your fantasies maybe. But the truth is that only you claim that the hull armour of the M1 Abrams is so thick (~740 mm). Nobody else says that – not the Russians, not the Americans, nobody. But you keep claiming that. If you have a source or a proof for this claims then I will accept these, but currently you have nothing to proof that. Nearly all other MBTs, regardless from which country or generation have a different armour layout, where the turret is thicker armoured and the hull has less armour; but the M1 Abrams is the exception?
And all line-drawings from the M1 Abrams are wrong? I mean you and militarysta did measure the armour of tanks via drawings for – this way you came up with estimations for all tanks except the Leopard 2A4, for which you have images of measurement on the real vehicle. I have no problem with you estimating protection via drawings – but when it comes to the M1 Abrams then all images are flawed or intentionally manipulated? With these claims I have problems.
I think when it comes to you and the performance of the Abrams armour and firepower it is often more wishful thinking than facts.
The glacis plate per se of the M1 Abrams is as you said approx. 50 mm over the driver's station and approx. 80 mm over the fuel tanks. I don't have a problem with this claims as you provided proofs. But the Leopard 2 with hull applique armour has there even more armour – the applique armour has been fitted to the whole glacis. Even more relevant is that the armour is non-homogenous, it is composite armour.
The lower hull front of the M1 series is not thicker than the Leopard 2 armour. It covers more of the lower hull front, but I cannot see after looking at over a dozen images that it would be thicker. The Leopard 2A6EX and some other variants which are fitted with applique armour seem to be thicker armoured at the hull front.

Gas Turbine engines can use different liquids as a fuel, only if these liquid can be spread in combustion chamber and will burn but still, JP8, diesel fuel, gas, alcohol, everything can be used by such engine. It is still a gas guzzler but it works. In fact the problem of gas turbines is that work for more fuel efficent engines of that type were cancelled. It is a pitty because Gas Turbine have much more interesting capabilities and future perspectives than a Diesel.
The engine of the Leopard 2 runs also with other liquids than diesel – but not with all and not with so much as the gas turbine. Also not all types of burnable liquid can be used on the M1's gas turbine... if you use the wrong fuel this can lead to waxing or damages of the engine.

I suspect it is because that idiotic approach of European countries to DU, Americans probably took their own DU ammo, and had ballistic data for WHA ammo, so they needed to take KEW WHA APFSDS from Egypt.
You are aware that the Abrams tanks of Egypt were using the KEW ammunition and therefore the data for these rounds was available to the Abrams? And why should the U.S. put the ballistic data for the M829 APFSDS series in a tank which they want to sell to Greece who then would have to use the KEW ammunition?
This doesn't make sense. The M1 Abrams scored pretty high in FCS trials and in at least one category even outperformed the Leopard 2 (which missed once) – so I don't really see where and why there should be a problem with the FCS and the ammunition... because the M1A2 didn't score best in all trials?

There was problem with propelant charges AFAIK. They took propelant for L11 gun and ammunition for L30. Someone ----ed up preparations for trails. It was not fault of FCS that is preatty good one in CR2.
Can you provide any source for this? I have heard that they had the right ammunition, but it was stored wrong so that it exceeded the shell life. Something similar happened in the past years in Germany with pistol/rifle ammunition (at least according to a German forum) – the ammunition was stored not under the right conditions and therefore an amount of it is flawed. Now a few workers have to take every single bullet of the faulty stored ammunition out of the box, examine it and if it is not flawed but it back into the box. Very stupid work.

However I think that militarysta is correct. If the T-80 or T-90 fail to win a competition, then it is because they are bad. But when some tank like the Challenger fails, then it is because of some other influence and not the fault of the weapon system or the crew.

methos

Country flag
There are reasons for this. If you put all ammunition in an isolated comparment in the turret (because the hull does not have enough space), then you need more armour for armouring this comparment (see M1 turret bustle). The designers of Leopard 2, Leclerc, Challenger 1/2 etc. all favoured thicker front armour for the survivabilty. Having the same front armour and the ammo protection would exceed the weight limits of the procurment programs.

Again, You try to defend completely idiotic solution. Hydraulic liquid, the modern one is not flammable.
It is. It is just "hardly flammable", but tank and anti-tank ammunition will be enough to incinerate it. The gas turbine fuel however is lightly flammable, contrary to diesel.

Regarding the mass-efficiency of armour:
http://www.etec-ceramics.de/fileadmin/Dateien/PDF/Ballistik/Ballistik_LQ_120404.pdf
Page 6 - BC required for the wanted protection weighs only as much as 76% of the Al2O3 armour, but costs 10 times more.

Last edited:

Damian

Actually they are right. The contract for the SEP v.1 was made in 1995, but the first serial tank was delivered in 1999 - this matches with what they claim. I just assumed that the U.S. didn't order a serial production without any pre-series vehicles.
Could you please provide a source that all M1A2 SEP v.1 were upgraded to M1A2 SEP v.2?
No they not, because tank ordered in 1995 was in fact in form of several different prototypes in different configurations. IMHO the final M1A2SEP v1 was ready approx 1998.

As for upgrades, M1A2SEP v1 have only older digital systems than M1A2SEP v2. The plan is to have all active US Army fleet composed from M1A2SEP v2's by 2013, even ARNG recived M1A2SEP v2's for at least single ABCT.

http://www.bctmod.army.mil/news/pdf/2013 Army Equipment Modernization Plan.pdf

There was also some interview with some high rank US Army officer that said, US Army planes to have more than 2,000 M1A2SEP v2 at the end of 2013.

The whole gun system is modified, it has a new barrel, a new recoil mechanism, a new gun mounting, new gun and turret drives, new stabilization etc.1 The commander has a night channel, the system now also accepts the first laser echo to engage helicopters and the FCS got an electronic shooting mode for faster engaging.
The computer per se may have stayed the same as previously (which is honestly a thing I don't know), but the computer now has to work with a large number of other components. According to the Swedish manual from the FÖRSVARETS MATERIELVERK the Strv 121 (Leopard 2A4 loaned from Germany) had a GE8109A029 STN ATLAS ballistic computer, while the Strv 122 (Leopard 2A5 version) has a GE8109A039 STN ATLAS ballistic computer... so it seems that it was replaced.
And what makes this better or comparable to the completely replaced FCS of M1A1SA/FEP and M1A2SEP? Where each component is interconnected. In fact internally Leopard 2A6/HEL/E/Strv122 is still looking like a XX century tank, while in newer M1's everything from TC station to driver station, haver flat multimission panels that can privide all nececary informations and options. It is incomparable.

The very good image quality is something I don't doubt – however if two countries have similar equipment on the battlefield and only one of these two countries is you enemy, how do you see the differences between them? It doesn't matter if a T-72 has a woodland camouflage pattern or is pink coloured, the thermal imaging system will show you exactly the same thermal signature.
It's also the same with the infantry – you can engage them, but you cannot be sure that they belong to your enemies. A day channel gives you here the great advantage that the commander does not have to use his sight blocks (which have a very limited usefulness on long ranges) or turn the whole tank turret to the detected vehicle/infantry.
Americans know how real battlefield full of smoke, dust etc. looks like. Day sight channel is a bakcup channel for them in fact. This is why they use CIP's for Thermals and FBCB2/BFT system, it is far more effective.

The outdated sighting system works perfectly. The "outdated" EMES-15 still has the same magnification than the M1A2 SEP without digital zoom – and a slightly better than the previous M1 and M1A1. When it comes to day channels the EMES-15A2 (which also has a 4x daysight channel) outperforms the gunner's sight of the M1 and M1A1.1
I don't know if the System Enhancement Package includes new daysights or not, but if they are just better than the ones of the M1A1, then it is not a very large difference between them and the EMES-15A2... but I have never read that the day channel of the gunner's sight was changed.

The main point speaking for the German FCS components and the EMES-15 however is their performance. CAT shooting and the Greek trials show that
Basic sights for M1 and M1A1 series are no more manufactured. Each M1/M1A1 that goes through modernization and refurbishment process recive the same sighting system for gunner as M1A2SEP have.

And yes, SEP package includes new day sight, it is because major changes in it's design, like replacing SAHA with DAHA.

That's nice if they are operating alone. But if they are working together with another country, which doesn't have FBCB2/BFT...
Let's say the U.S. would invade Iran after the Iran went to war with it's neighbor countries... how would they U.S. tank commanders find out if the tank they see is a Iranian T-72 or from another country?
Tank crews in US Armed Forces in basic training need to complete identification course, besides this image quality in thermal sights is very good, allmost same as in day sight channel. Besides this gunner still have day sight channel if further identification is needed.

The Leopard 2A6EX served as base for the Leopardo 2E (Spain) and Leopard 2A6HEL (Greece). Features like the increased protection at the hull and the turret roof, the air-conditioning system, the APU and some minor stuff were passed from the Leopard 2A6EX to the Leopardo 2E and the Leopard 2A6HEL.
Btw: There were two demonstrators.
They are still not the same. This is like I would say, but You know, M1A2SEP had several technology demonstrators and prototypes, one with new exhaust system, that was not passed on but new sights, APU etc. were used in series manufactured vehicles.

The combat weight of the M1A2 SEP v.2 is 69.29 short tons.1 Converted to metric tons this is 62.85 metric tons. The combat weight of the SEP v.1 is 68.57 short tons, which equals 62.2 metric tons.2 Also note that the source does not mention that the protection of the SEP v.2 is higher than that of the SEP v.1, but says "The M1A2 SEP has improved frontal and side armor for enhanced crew survivability" - there is no indicator that the SEP v.2 utilizes newer armour than the SEP v.1.
The combat weight of the Leopard 2A6 is 62.4 metric tons,3, 4 although some German websites claim a lower value.5 The Strv 122 has a combat weight of 62 tonnes,6 so the Leopard 2A6EX will probably weigh 64 tonnes.
M1A2SEP weights 63,1 metric tons. Your source seems to be wrong. Besides this, document is about current or recent upgrades to the M1 series. Not the earlier ones. After Iraq, there was strong need in US Armed Forces to improve protection , especially at sides.

Even if the Leopard 2A6 weighs only 60 tonnes as claimed by panzerbear.de, then it still has a turret weight of 21 tonnes – according to various sources the turret of the M1A2 SEP will weigh ~22 - 23 tonnes.
M1A1SA/FEP, M1A2SEP turret will weight ~25+ tons.

If the armour is more weight efficient, then not by much – I haven't seen any real improvent without increase of armour thickness... there are improved steel alloys and improved ceramic tiles, but these does not offer a too high increase in protection – using these the cost increase very fast. AMAP for example is very mass-effective, but for reaching a higher level of protection than previously you need in nearly all cases a thicker armour... the density of materials was decreased to improve performance.
I cannot see that the SEP v.1 (nor the v.2) has thicker armour than the M1A2, and the same can be said about the SEP v.2... especially since your source did not mention that there is difference in armour between M1A2 SEP v.1 and SEP v.2.
Most forms of very mass-efficient armour require an increase in thickness. ERA, NERA as breaking stage, etc. Still it seems likely that they uses more mass-effective armour than the M1A2... but this does not mean that it is better than the Leopard 2A5.
I don't doubt that the M1A2 SEP has stronger armour than the M1A2, but I doubt that the M1A2 has the same level of protection as the Leopard 2A5/6.
I don't see a reason why Germans should have better protected tank... especially with it's thinner armor. Besides this, NERA effectiveness depends on number of layers. Single layer of NERA is less effective than single layer of ERA. So why wedge amror on Leopard 2A5/A6 should give better performance than M1A2SEP armor? Again because it is German? Especially that we know less about Americans armor development than Germans, due to their pitifull OPSEC.

The left side shows the Leopard 2A6 turret layout, the right one the M1 Abrams. There are now four reasons speaking against the M1 being better protected at the same weight (and level of technology):
1. the turret of the M1 is wider and therefore it has a larger frontal profile – with the applique armour both tanks have similar frontal profiles, but there is less surface under full armour protection on the Leopard 2A6
2. the M1 Abrams carries composite armour over the full side – the Leopard 2 has only a very small side area which has to be armoured, most of the turret side is covered by the front and the less armoured bustle
3. the Leopard 2 has a thicker armour (even though it is hollow), i.e. more space to interact with the projectile, there is more time in which the fragments of a projectile can spread
4. the turret of the M1 has more internal volume – which means that more of the weight is not located in the armour (for example the roof weight)
1) How do You know where side armor of M1 turret ends and front armor starts? it might have the same volume as Leopard 2 turret armor.
2) Composite armor over sides might have different design than front armor, might be lighter, less dense, HEAT optimized. Pure matchematics are useless in case of modern AFV's protection.
3) What makes You think that modern projectile will be fragmented by this armor? Especially that there are not enough layers of NERA. As I said, single layer of NERA is less effective than single layer of ERA. I can belive that Russian or Ukrainian ERA can fragment penetrator by using just single layer, but in case of German armor I have doubts, especially against more modern ammunition.
4) Oh, You are so sure. Any hard proof for that? In such case any western MBT should be freightened by BM "Oplot" with very small turret, thick frontal armor + ERA. As I said, pure mathermatics are not everything in case of modern AFV's armor.

See: You claim that the armour of the M1A1 and later models is 960 mm thick. However you are alone with these claims... I measured drawings – they show less armour thickness. I took a look at Russian forums and websites – they claim a smaller armour thickness. I took a look at wikipedia – they claim a smaller armour thickness there. This does not mean that you are wrong, but believing in you without proof or source is unreasonable.
There is some interval of armour thickness: 820 mm,1 850 mm,2 880 mm3 and 960 mm. I will not believe in the extrema without any reason – the middle values are closer together and they are reasonable if we take a look at other vehicles.
For the Leopard 2 there was also such an interval: 650 mm,1 800 mm,2 ~1000 mm3. In the end the middle value was the most correct and from looking at other vehicles it was also the most reasonable. And for the T-90 there are also various sources putting the armour thickness at 800 to 950 mm...
I often use google for gathering information if a topic interests me and I don't have any book about it and I am too lazy to go to the library. While googling I often find your older posts on militaryphotos.net etc. were you wrote that the Leopard 2 must have thinner armour than the M1 Abrams and possible has 500 – 600 mm thickness. This seems to be some dogma you believe in: "the M1 is having better armour than all other tanks".
You said that some Pole in American service wrote to you that it is ~900 mm... but still you made it 960 mm, while other estimates (880 mm for example) are way closer.
This is not my estimatiuon but Militarysta estimations. He compared size of turrets while having a hard proof, messures on real Leopard 2. M1A1/M1A2 turret have thicker armor, how much thicker, I do not know for sure.

"[M]anipulation and lie" in your fantasies maybe. But the truth is that only you claim that the hull armour of the M1 Abrams is so thick (~740 mm). Nobody else says that – not the Russians, not the Americans, nobody. But you keep claiming that. If you have a source or a proof for this claims then I will accept these, but currently you have nothing to proof that. Nearly all other MBTs, regardless from which country or generation have a different armour layout, where the turret is thicker armoured and the hull has less armour; but the M1 Abrams is the exception?
And all line-drawings from the M1 Abrams are wrong? I mean you and militarysta did measure the armour of tanks via drawings for – this way you came up with estimations for all tanks except the Leopard 2A4, for which you have images of measurement on the real vehicle. I have no problem with you estimating protection via drawings – but when it comes to the M1 Abrams then all images are flawed or intentionally manipulated? With these claims I have problems.
I think when it comes to you and the performance of the Abrams armour and firepower it is often more wishful thinking than facts.
The glacis plate per se of the M1 Abrams is as you said approx. 50 mm over the driver's station and approx. 80 mm over the fuel tanks. I don't have a problem with this claims as you provided proofs. But the Leopard 2 with hull applique armour has there even more armour – the applique armour has been fitted to the whole glacis. Even more relevant is that the armour is non-homogenous, it is composite armour.
The lower hull front of the M1 series is not thicker than the Leopard 2 armour. It covers more of the lower hull front, but I cannot see after looking at over a dozen images that it would be thicker. The Leopard 2A6EX and some other variants which are fitted with applique armour seem to be thicker armoured at the hull front.
You can belive in anything You wish. M1A1/M1A2 have thicker front hull and turret armor than Leopard 2 of any variant, this is a fact. Militarysta being a Leopard 2 fan, estimated this that way. I have no reason to not belive him. Besides this there are sources, non European, that says some interesting facts like Zaloga claiming some messures that gives us hint that M1 have 220-230mm thinner armor than M1A1/M1A2.

The engine of the Leopard 2 runs also with other liquids than diesel – but not with all and not with so much as the gas turbine. Also not all types of burnable liquid can be used on the M1's gas turbine... if you use the wrong fuel this can lead to waxing or damages of the engine.
Yes yet still, Gas Turbine have advantage. There were Gas Turbine designs like LV100-5 that were more fuell efficent, compact and powerfull enough. Pitty that LV100 was never fielded.

You are aware that the Abrams tanks of Egypt were using the KEW ammunition and therefore the data for these rounds was available to the Abrams? And why should the U.S. put the ballistic data for the M829 APFSDS series in a tank which they want to sell to Greece who then would have to use the KEW ammunition?
This doesn't make sense. The M1 Abrams scored pretty high in FCS trials and in at least one category even outperformed the Leopard 2 (which missed once) – so I don't really see where and why there should be a problem with the FCS and the ammunition... because the M1A2 didn't score best in all trials?
There are plenty of options why there were problems. Less trained gunner and TC, problems with ammunition, other not known problems. Single trail is not a good source however.

But it is pitifull that Greeks choosed Leopard 2. This machine should never had any success.

Can you provide any source for this? I have heard that they had the right ammunition, but it was stored wrong so that it exceeded the shell life. Something similar happened in the past years in Germany with pistol/rifle ammunition (at least according to a German forum) – the ammunition was stored not under the right conditions and therefore an amount of it is flawed. Now a few workers have to take every single bullet of the faulty stored ammunition out of the box, examine it and if it is not flawed but it back into the box. Very stupid work.
It was discussed long time ago on TankNet AFAIK. However I can't provide a source unfortunetly, I'am writitng from memory.

However I think that militarysta is correct. If the T-80 or T-90 fail to win a competition, then it is because they are bad. But when some tank like the Challenger fails, then it is because of some other influence and not the fault of the weapon system or the crew.
I never said that T-80 or T-90 series are bad. IMHO BM Oplot and T-90MS are better than Leopard 2, Leclerc and Challnger 2 and comparable to M1A2SEP v2, at least in terms of FCS, especially T-90MS.

There are reasons for this. If you put all ammunition in an isolated comparment in the turret (because the hull does not have enough space), then you need more armour for armouring this comparment (see M1 turret bustle). The designers of Leopard 2, Leclerc, Challenger 1/2 etc. all favoured thicker front armour for the survivabilty. Having the same front armour and the ammo protection would exceed the weight limits of the procurment programs.
Thicker frontal armor? it's hard to see thicker frontal armor on Leopard 2, Leclerc or Challenger 1/2 compared to M1A1/M1A2. Besides this, turret bustle ammunition magazine, do not require nececary high levels of protection. it might be seens as expandable.

Not to mention that thickness does not mean that armor module will be heavy. It is typical mistake. Armor design for M1's turret bustle is different than side turret crew compartment armor design, and different than front turret armor design.

And I do not understand this fascination about west european AFV's designs. They were allways not impressive, without any real perspectives compared to Soviet and American designs.

It is. It is just "hardly flammable", but tank and anti-tank ammunition will be enough to incinerate it. The gas turbine fuel however is lightly flammable, contrary to diesel.
You can say this to American soldiers that were not burned, when their tanks hydraulic fluids reservoir tank in hull behind turret basket cover was hit and ruptured by shaped charge jet. You see, it is perfectly safe design.

Fuel for engine is completely different thing and... Gas Turbine can also use fuel for Diesels.

And I seen tanks hit in fuel tanks, not much damage.

Regarding the mass-efficiency of armour:
http://www.etec-ceramics.de/fileadmi..._LQ_120404.pdf
Page 6 - BC required for the wanted protection weighs only as much as 76% of the Al2O3 armour, but costs 10 times more.
And what this have to do with armor You completely not know? Long time ago I stopped to compare these things due to lack of data. But there is no reason why Leopard 2 needs to be better than any other tank... of course You can say because it is German, but as I said, the myth of German superiority needs to be destroyed.

Last edited:

militarysta

@Damian
Ok, I made mistake. Using GIMP and mesurment I count this all pixels taken for two good photos when glastic is visible in driver hatch and in fuel tank hole.
And Yes - whole glastic have 2 inches thick :taunt: The thickness is almoust the same. Of course some error is obvious but it will be max 5-7mm so this plate have etween 50,4 to max 57mm but there is no possible to have 80m thick there.
Photo:

And waist two hours of my life to count and proof this. Is anyone can check it - just do it.

I have hope that this closing glastick thickness thema - it's 2 inches tchick, and above driver helemt is thinner.

btw: I choose better for M1 thickness mesurmen - when first marks are smaller (on driver hatch edge) then in theory thickness in fuel tank hole will be bigger. Unfortunely there is no way to have 80mm there. Sorry.

Last edited:

Damian

If You think that these drawing is properly done, then You are in great mistake. ;)

Even a blind men sees that this is not properly done.

And even without any messurements it is clearly visible that armor near fuel tank inlet is thicker than near driver hatch. Of course You can dellusion Yourself further.

Here are my properly done lines. It is clearly visible that armor near fuel tanks inlets is thicker.

Last edited:

militarysta

So do it better. Each "hole" have tree parts:

1. protruding over flange (bulge)
2. main parts with thread for fuel cap
3. bottom with gasket
Whole looks at more then 50mm but when you count it without around flange (bulge) over glastic plate and without bottom (its interferes with the prospect badly) then is no way to achive 80mm. Sorry - if You dont belive check photos counting pixels. Andas I said - if thicknes markers on driver hatch edge are thinner then in theory this hole for refuling have bigger depth (armour thickness), but I specially disapproved first value - to achive better (thicker) value in hole for refuling. And again - no 80mm. Max 50-60mm.

Damian

I done it better. Before You try to find a weakness before You belive there is weakness, try to look at it more rationally. But of course, if You want to delude Yourself, it's an open way. But please, deluding Yourself, stop writing about other designs that You now very little about them.

Last edited:

methos

Country flag
And what makes this better or comparable to the completely replaced FCS of M1A1SA/FEP and M1A2SEP? Where each component is interconnected. In fact internally Leopard 2A6/HEL/E/Strv122 is still looking like a XX century tank, while in newer M1's everything from TC station to driver station, haver flat multimission panels that can privide all nececary informations and options. It is incomparable.
And did the fact that it is being interconnect provide some significant increase in performance during trials? Currently there is no proof for this.

M1A2SEP weights 63,1 metric tons. Your source seems to be wrong. Besides this, document is about current or recent upgrades to the M1 series. Not the earlier ones. After Iraq, there was strong need in US Armed Forces to improve protection , especially at sides.
Actually that is your source from above:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/wsh2012/22.pdf

So, yeah the manufacturer of the vehicle and the file previously quoted by you is wrong...

M1A1SA/FEP, M1A2SEP turret will weight ~25+ tons.
Any source for this statement? I have seen various different weight values, but none for the late versions. If the turret would weight 25 metric tons, then more or less all weight gained from M1 to M1A2 would be located in the turret. However you claimed on the TankNet some while ago that the weight of the hull was also increased during the time DU was added to the armour composition. I have seen values in other forums, which would put the M1A2 SEP turret at 22 tonnes when all weight increase from M1A1HA to M1A2 SEP would be part of the turret. However the link is dead, but it linked to tacom.army.mil... this is why I believed this source.
Furthermore a Russian book or article cited in another place put the loaden turret weight of the early M1 at ~18 tonnes. Then their would be ~38 tonnes hull weight, e.g. too much for 25 tonnes, but enough for 24 tonnes (again assuming all weight would be now in the turret, but you even claimed that some of the weight is located in the hull). Supporting your claims about the rise in hull weight is also the fact that the M1E1 prototypes with weight demonstrators had steel plates welded to the hull too.
Then their is also Paul L.'s estimation for the M1A1HA, where he says that the turret weight increased by 6 tons... for the weight values from Russian sources or the one's from Rolf Hilmes' work (but you won't believe him, he is German) the turret weight would then be 24 tonnes max, if all weight went to the turret.

I don't see a reason why Germans should have better protected tank... especially with it's thinner armor. Besides this, NERA effectiveness depends on number of layers. Single layer of NERA is less effective than single layer of ERA. So why wedge amror on Leopard 2A5/A6 should give better performance than M1A2SEP armor? Again because it is German? Especially that we know less about Americans armor development than Germans, due to their pitifull OPSEC.
1. Armour is not thinner.
2. NERA mass-effectiveness (or effectiveness of reactive armour in generall) depends on two things mainly: space and force. If you mount ERA inside the armour, then there is not enough working space. If you put ERA with reduced charge at the turret front, then it will not work good, because their is too less force. German heavy NERA on the turret front is spaced for increased performance - this gives the particles of the HEAT-sting and the fragments of a penetrator enough time to spread... meaning less energy is distributed on a larger surface -> significantly better protection.
The Polish NERA with a mass-efficiency of 4 shows pretty much that for being more weight-efficient more space is required.
I think this image may show you why even empty space is relevant for protection:

If these two NERA layers would be located ~50 mm in front of the armour, then the increase in performance would be marginal. The larger the distance prior impact, the better the particles can spread. This also works with KE ammunition, but these break harder.
3. German NERA in front of the base armour is made of two very thick layers of HHS. They will shatter KE ammunition and HEAT jets. Due to the travel-space the efficiency of the projectile will drop significantly. So German main armour (which is according to all but you and militarysta not significantly thinner than that of the M1A2) has to offer far less protection than armour without such a wedge or ERA.

1) How do You know where side armor of M1 turret ends and front armor starts? it might have the same volume as Leopard 2 turret armor.
The front armour maybe. But there is still the side armour, which has based on the images of the damaged M1A1HA and militarysta's drawing probably a density higher than 1/2 steel.

2) Composite armor over sides might have different design than front armor, might be lighter, less dense, HEAT optimized. Pure matchematics are useless in case of modern AFV's protection.
It could be different. It could be the same. But what we know is how it is designed. You have a spaced steel array on coil-springs and a large ammount of bulging-plates in front of an unkown laminate box. The bulging-plate array and the spaced steel array have about half the density of steel based on the damaged vehicle (as long they use steel, but it does not look like aluminium and aluminium is not very useful for NERA).

3) What makes You think that modern projectile will be fragmented by this armor? Especially that there are not enough layers of NERA. As I said, single layer of NERA is less effective than single layer of ERA. I can belive that Russian or Ukrainian ERA can fragment penetrator by using just single layer, but in case of German armor I have doubts, especially against more modern ammunition.
It depends all on the NERA and the ERA design you compare. According to a research paper (I can post the name later if you want) single layer of NERA will have a mass efficiency of 2 - 3.4 when it follows special design prinicpes (e.g. the relation between rubber/steel, the distance between the test plate and the NERA layer) etc. However if you choose another design (for example less or more rubber, different steel hardness, difference distance to the target). Just look at the picture I posted above - the larger the distance the more efficient the armour.
On the Leopard 2A5 the wedge-armour is know to have two plates, which are pretty thick (occupying together 4/5 of the armour cavity, whose thickness can unluckily only estimated as nobody measured the armour and provided us pictures doing so). German forum members claim a thickness of 70 cm or 80 cm for the armour - then the cavity will be between 18 and 25 cm thick, the sandwich-plates would have a thickness of 7.2 - 10 cm. It has been written by a German author that this armour is made of HHS, which already is known to be very effective against KE. Then there is the research paper from which I posted the images of test made by some Dutch scientists:

In these test they use two 8 mm steel plates of 430 HB hardness and 2 mm rubber between them. This is all inclined to give a LOS of 36 mm. This is capable of weaking modern APFSDS strongly. However here are some points to consider:
1.) The Leopard 2 wedge uses two layers
2.) 430 HB is not really HHS, but rather SHS
3.) Each NERA layer is only half as thick as a layer in the wedge armour (even less than half if we believe in the higher estimate)
4.) The Space between NERA and base armor was less than on the Leopard 2A5
You can also read the posts from "arrow" in tanknet (he is iirc. Willy Odermatt and did develop the formula most people use to calculate the penetration of APFSDS) - he worked in the Swiss procurement agency and said that the Swiss used a HHS-rubber-HHS-sandwichs to simulate Kontakt-5 ERA for the tests of their 140 mm maingun.

This is not my estimatiuon but Militarysta estimations. He compared size of turrets while having a hard proof, messures on real Leopard 2. M1A1/M1A2 turret have thicker armor, how much thicker, I do not know for sure.
I tried my bests on drawings on American websites (FAS), American and German books, Russian websites and even images which are claimed to be taken from offical files avialable in internet. I never came to the values calculated by militarysta.

M1A1/M1A2 have thicker front hull and turret armor than Leopard 2 of any variant, this is a fact.
It is only a fact, when it has been proven. You did not manage to provide me a proof.

Militarysta being a Leopard 2 fan, estimated this that way. I have no reason to not belive him. Besides this there are sources, non European, that says some interesting facts like Zaloga claiming some messures that gives us hint that M1 have 220-230mm thinner armor than M1A1/M1A2.
Yes. Guess how thick the armour of the basic M1 is according to Russians: about 220 - 230 mm thinner than the armour of the M1A1.

But it is pitifull that Greeks choosed Leopard 2. This machine should never had any success.
Are you even trying to be objective?

Thicker frontal armor? it's hard to see thicker frontal armor on Leopard 2, Leclerc or Challenger 1/2 compared to M1A1/M1A2. Besides this, turret bustle ammunition magazine, do not require nececary high levels of protection. it might be seens as expandable.
Have you ever noticed that the Challenger 1 weighs ~62 tonnes, while the M1 weighs ~55 tonnes? Where do you think did the weight went? Turret side is less volume, hull side is less volume. Engine is not much heavier.
Leopard 2 has thicker armour than the M1 according to your values too. The IPM1 has something about similar thickness (at least by my measurements, which are supported by various other sources) as the Leopard 2, but weighs 1-2 tonnes more.

You can say this to American soldiers that were not burned, when their tanks hydraulic fluids reservoir tank in hull behind turret basket cover was hit and ruptured by shaped charge jet. You see, it is perfectly safe design.
Tell me their names, I will speak to them. It is as much "uninflammable" as the modern IM propulsion is "uninflammable". I can remember that we already discussed this on the old version of the tanknutdave forum, where some Britton claimed that the ammunition of the L11 gun cannot be incinerated by enemy fire, and we both disagreed with that but you then claimed that the hydraulic fluids of the M60 are "uninflammable".

And what this have to do with armor You completely not know?
Essentially it means that the performance of ceramic tiles per se can nearly only be increased by choosing a less dense ceramic tile, but this would mean that the armour would need to get thicker and very much more expensive. Ceramic is only one component of modern armour, but for steel and NERA it seems very similar.

Last edited:

militarysta

@Methos - can You sent via PM some links to NERA armour articles and book? I will be very glad.

Damian

And did the fact that it is being interconnect provide some significant increase in performance during trials? Currently there is no proof for this.
Neither there is proof against it.

Actually that is your source from above:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/wsh2012/22.pdf

So, yeah the manufacturer of the vehicle and the file previously quoted by you is wrong...
Australian M1A1SA's were said by official sources to weight 63,1 tons, there is strange dispersion in weight provided by different sources.

Any source for this statement? I have seen various different weight values, but none for the late versions. If the turret would weight 25 metric tons, then more or less all weight gained from M1 to M1A2 would be located in the turret. However you claimed on the TankNet some while ago that the weight of the hull was also increased during the time DU was added to the armour composition. I have seen values in other forums, which would put the M1A2 SEP turret at 22 tonnes when all weight increase from M1A1HA to M1A2 SEP would be part of the turret. However the link is dead, but it linked to tacom.army.mil... this is why I believed this source.
Furthermore a Russian book or article cited in another place put the loaden turret weight of the early M1 at ~18 tonnes. Then their would be ~38 tonnes hull weight, e.g. too much for 25 tonnes, but enough for 24 tonnes (again assuming all weight would be now in the turret, but you even claimed that some of the weight is located in the hull). Supporting your claims is also the fact that the M1E1 prototypes with weight demonstrators had steel plates welded to the hull too.
Then their is also Paul L.'s estimation for the M1A1HA, where he says that the turret weight increased by 6 tons... for the weight values from Russian sources or the one's from Rolf Hilmes' work (but you won't believe him, he is German) the turret weight would then be 24 tonnes max, if all weight went to the turret.
I don't know if noticed this symbole ~, it means it can be 25, 26, 24 or 22 tons heavy, it only indacates approx weight. Hull weight on production line before engine installation and with suspension installed was reported by a worker in JSMC to be approx 36 tons.

1. Armour is not thinner.
2. NERA mass-effectiveness (or effectiveness of reactive armour in generall) depends on two things mainly: space and force. If you mount ERA inside the armour, then there is not enough working space. If you put ERA with reduced charge at the turret front, then it will not work good, because their is too less force. German heavy NERA on the turret front is spaced for increased performance - this gives the particles of the HEAT-sting and the fragments of a penetrator enough time to spread... meaning less energy is distributed on a larger surface -> significantly better protection.
1) It is.
2) Ah, so now only German design solution will be the best? Yes we know this, and now maybe You should keep a bit more faith in other nations designing abilities.

The Polish NERA with a mass-efficiency of 4 shows pretty much that for being more weight-efficient more space is required.
I think this image may show you why even empty space is relevant for protection:

If these two NERA layers would be located ~50 mm in front of the armour, then the increase in performance would be marginal. The larger the distance prior impact, the better the particles can spread. This also works with KE ammunition, but these break harder.
3. German NERA in front of the bais is two very thick layers of HHS. They will shatter KE ammunition and HEAT jets. Due to the travel-space the efficiency of the projectile will drop significantly. So German main armour (which is according to all but you and militarysta not significantly thinner than that of the M1A2) has to offer far less protection than armour without such a wedge or ERA.
1) Yes this is the case, NERA needs more layers to be effective. Wedge armor on Leopard 2 not nececary needs to be very efficent. In such case You will agree that for example BM Oplot with triple layered cumulative ERA "Duplet" is better proteced than Leopard 2?
2) What makes You think it is HHS? I never seen a source saying it is HHS, it is only assumption, not to mention we do not know hardness of these plates. Assuming that such protection is better than in other comparable MBT's is just biased "German superiority" myth.

The front armour maybe. But there is still the side armour, which has based on the images of the damaged M1A1HA and militarysta's drawing probably a density higher than 1/2 steel.
I think You did not understand. Later I will do a drawing to better explain this to You.

It could be different. It could be the same. But what we know is how it is designed. You have a spaced steel array on coil-springs and a large ammount of bulging-plates in front of an unkown laminate box. The bulging-plate array and the spaced steel array have about half the density of steel based on the damaged vehicle (as long they use steel, but it does not look like aluminium and aluminium is not very useful for NERA).
We still not know much about M1 armor array. It is actually very funny when people from country A assumes that because their own countries designers were unable to design a vehicle with such armor scheme and with good armor protection (or even better), other were also not able to do so.

Can I remind You that Americans and British were working on composite armor much longer than Germans, and have much greater experience to them in this manner. But of course You can belive that Germans all the sudden after WWII were able to quickly gain the same experience.

It depends all on the NERA and the ERA design you compare. According to a research paper (I can post the name later if you want) single layer of NERA will have a mass efficiency of 2 - 3.4 when it follows special design prinicpes (e.g. the relation between rubber/steel, the distance between the test plate and the NERA layer) etc. However if you choose another design (for example less or more rubber, different steel hardness, difference distance to the target). Just look at the picture I posted above - the larger the distance the more efficient the armour.
On the Leopard 2A5 the wedge-armour is know to have two plates, which are pretty thick (occupying together 4/5 of the armour cavity, whose thickness can unluckily only estimated as nobody measured the armour and provided us pictures doing so). German forum members claim a thickness of 70 cm or 80 cm for the armour - then the cavity will be between 18 and 25 cm thick, the sandwich-plates would have a thickness of 7.2 - 10 cm. It has been written by a German author that this armour is made of HHS, which already is known to be very effective against KE. Then there is the research paper from which I posted the images of test made by some Dutch scientists:

In these test they use two 8 mm steel plates of 430 HB hardness and 2 mm rubber between them. This is all inclined to give a LOS of 36 mm. This is capable of weaking modern APFSDS strongly. However here are some points to consider:
1.) The Leopard 2 wedge uses two layers
2.) 430 HB is not really HHS, but rather SHS
3.) Each NERA layer is only half as thick as a layer in the wedge armour (even less than half if we believe in the higher estimate)
4.) The Space between NERA and base armor was less than on the Leopard 2A5
You can also read the posts from "arrow" in tanknet (he is iirc. Willy Odermatt and did develop the formula most people use to calculate the penetration of APFSDS) - he worked in the Swiss procurement agency and said that the Swiss used a HHS-rubber-HHS-sandwichs to simulate Kontakt-5 ERA for the tests of their 140 mm maingun.
The last sentence is... amusing, it was not easier to just procure the real 4S22?

I tried my bests on drawings on American websites (FAS), American and German books, Russian websites and even images which are claimed to be taken from offical files avialable in internet. I never came to the values calculated by militarysta.
All these drawings are failed, have improper weld lines, not a good scale etc. The best drawings were in Richard Hunnicutt books but also have intentionally or not, wrongly drawed weld lines to make armor thinner. You need to take these drawings and compare them with photos of real tanks showing correct weld lines positions.

It is only a fact, when it has been proven. You did not manage to provide me a proof.
You can agree with what I said or not. I do not care really, mainly because I'am certain what I'm saying, You can only assume.

Yes. Guess how thick the armour of the basic M1 is according to Russians: about 220 - 230 mm thinner than the armour of the M1A1.
Yes it is, Zaloga was very accurate describing this by basing on the placement of attachement points for towing cables on turret sides.

Are you even trying to be objective?
Of course. And I'am very dissapointed that my own country army use Leopard 2 tanks. They are best we have, yes, but there are better alternatives, unfortunetly German solution was choosen, not the best one, and the one with one of smallest perspectives.

Have you ever noticed that the Challenger 1 weighs ~62 tonnes, while the M1 weighs ~55 tonnes? Where do you think did the weight went? Turret side is less volume, hull side is less volume. Engine is not much heavier.
Leopard 2 has thicker armour than the M1 according to your values too. The IPM1 has something about similar thickness (at least by my measurements, which are supported by various other sources) as the Leopard 2, but weighs 1-2 tonnes more.
Do You also count the fact that M1 use lighter engine? Maybe first count weight of each vehicle component, then make conclusions, not otherwise. Not the whole weight is pure armor.

Tell me their names, I will speak to them. It is as much "uninflammable" as the modern IM propulsion is "uninflammable". I can remember that we already discussed this on the old version of the tanknutdave forum, where some Britton claimed that the ammunition of the L11 gun cannot be incinerated by enemy fire, and we both disagreed with that but you then claimed that the hydraulic fluids of the M60 are "uninflammable".
Because Americans after experiences in Vietnam and Israeli experiences with M60 series, replaced the old flammable hydraulics with so called imflammable hydraulics. These are still hot when hydraulic system works, but will not to start burn immidietly after hit. This is a difference.

Essentially it means that the performance of ceramic tiles per se can nearly only be increased by choosing a less dense ceramic tile, but this would mean that the armour would need to get thicker and very much more expensive. Ceramic is only one component of modern armour, but for steel and NERA it seems very similar.
The one thing I learned from military people. Do not belive in everything the company or some sources says You. The advance in materials technology might be far greater. I do not see a reason why Americans with far superior funding for R&D in every aspect of military, could not have advance much further than the others. Why not? Because they are not Germans?

Same with Ukrainians, their designers are probably smarter than most of west european designers if they were capable to design such great protection like "Knife" and "Duplet", a completely new quality in AFV's protection solutions.

So I do not see a reason why we should prise Germans, and only them as some gurus in AFV's designing.

Damian

If You wanna play - OK, here I came:

Up
At least I'am not calling Glacis plate a "glastic" whatever it is... :shocked:

Besides this I made second one, more proper, if You did not noticed. But please, make my day even funnier. :)

Akim

Country flag
I am sorry from so abundant information of technical maintenance content tangled. you were intent on a theory but and I am more practices. I not designer armour or FCS with an cannon. A that side which shows tanks in action interesting anymore for me. And not in a tender, and in the real life on maneuvers. Therefore when I read Tarasenko and Kholopov - I laugh.
A tank - is a machine intended only for an offensive. Exceptionally for a defensive to the West it is better to create tank destroyer on similarity of Jagdtiger. As Abrams or Leopard will be able to pass to counter-offensive, if his mass there are more "soviet" tanks (I them will name "soviet", because school at creation of Т-90АМ and BM Oplot did not change substantially) on 10-15 tons. Libra of your tanks of approximated to critical mark of carrying critical mark of most of our bridges. Heavy tanks will not be able to force an aquatic barrier on a bottom. Pontoon ferriage it is possible to build only at complete domination in mid air, that in the conditions of the developed system AIR DEFENCE not possibly. In fact for today the Western tanks are intended for war on Middle East. And then they will cope with any old tanks. To me Korean К2 is more preferable.

Articles