Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

Damian

Damian, let's try to see it from my perspective:
- You claim that the M1 is having thicker armour, but my measurments (and these are not based on the drawings from Hunnicutt only and I already did measure the armour not to the weld line, but just to the edge of the gunner's sight) show otherwise. The measurements and estimation of other people say otherwise. And you have no source for your statement and actualy no point supporting except "it is a fact"
- You openly admit that you are against the Leopard 2 per se
- You say that thicker armour is necessarily a indicator for more protection, but even if the armour of the M1 is thicker then it still would weigh less - e.g. you are saying that the U.S. armour is more weight-effective and at least as thickness effective as the armour of the German tank
- You say that we cannot estimate the level of the protection of the M1, because we don't know how the armour is designed and what alloys are used - but the same is true for the Leopard 2
- You say that the frontal armour module of the Leopard 2A5 does not matter, because it is a reactive design. At the same time you claim that the M1 does use dynamic (reactive) armour elements inside the armour
- You claimed my weight values for the M1A2 SEP would be wrong, but they came from your source, which is btw. the producer
- You continously claim that the German design has "no future" and is flawed and idiotic, but tank designers around the globe make similar designs and reality has shown that the Leopard 2 design has still pretty much future
- You continously say that I would claim that the German armour is superior because it is German. However I never wrote that... instead I assumed that both countries have the same level of technology at the same point of time
- I have various sources supporting my claims, but you haven't provided any
1) You see, You admitted that it will be better protected yourself on a drawing. BTW, for the front hull Armor I only marked cavity for composite armor, without the backplate. With a bakcplate it will be something around 600mm also. 650mm as Militarysta estimated.

2) Of course I am against this design. It contradicts how MBT should be designed in my opinion and opinion of people I belive. I'am against all German designs, because they are designs I, personally would not want to serve and fight. But of someone wish to be roeasted chicken, then he cen openly admire such coffin.

3) And still I do not understand why nececarily it needs to be worse. I think that American tanks for the end of times, will be marked with a blame and myth of M4 Sherman being weak tank... that was in fact most advanced and one of the best tanks in it's class.

4) Yes I agree.

5) There is a difference between the in built and addon reactive armor. In built is integral part of basic armor, addon is just addon.

6) The weight sources are two widepsread. Manufacturer data for US tanks and Australian tanks differ. GDLS provided an official weight data for Australian M1A1SA as 63,1 tons. So something is not right here. I have suspicion that like in case of Merkava Mk4, real weight is classified.

7) Leopard 2 design is idiotic. And please, remind me how many tanks are based on Leopard 2 design? Especially it's turret? Arjun, and partially Leclerc, with the same placement of main sight. Other modern MBT's use main sight placement similiar to that of M1.

8) And in the same time, in Your posts, this flawed German tank is allways the best. This is ridicoulus, same as claims that SPz Puma is the best IFV, while in fact it is again wasted potential, by idiotic design solution. You ever saw how much space is wasted inside for mechanical subsystems of that unmanned turret? This is indeed idiotic! There would be space for another two dismounts, instead there is a basket for mechanical subsystems of unmanned turret... who designed such idiocy?!

9) I don't have time to continusly scan books You know.

Where the ---- did I say that German armour inserts are better? Nowhere. I said that that they are heavier which means that if they have the same weight-efficiency as the U.S. inserts (i.e. both countries are on the same level of technology) the German armour will be offer more protection (but the same protection per weight). If the M1A2 (SEP) would have the same level of frontal protection than the Leopard 2A5, then the armour of it would be significantly more weight-efficient - this claims can only be true if the U.S. armour is on a higher technological level!
So I ask You, why Americans that spend more money on R&D, on purchasing foreing products to improve their own, can't be on higher technological level? Good example is EF Typhoon that in most versions have more primitive radar that for example Polish F-16C/D Block 52+, a newer European aircraft have more primitive radar to an older F-16. So explain me why Americans can't stand on higher technological level?

You are aware that they didn't make test-firings? You are aware that they criticized the layout (integration) and this only on the Leopard 2A4?
You are aware that they firstly could just took out armor and look at it. Are You aware that AMericans were testing Leopard 2, and could share data with British?

No independent source claims this. Name me some... the Osprey Challenger 2 title does not mention the protection level, but the integrity. And what is the second?
Americans after tests claimed that Leopard 2 armor was less effective than XM1 armor. You belive Germans, I belive Americans.

You can compare me with Harkonnen if you want, but I can do the same. He once came up with a measurement (65 cm) and didn't want to change it - you are doing the same. You came up with a value (and you didn't even measure this by yourself according to you) and you are not willing to accept the fact that neither your drawings nor the drawings from other sources do contain these thickness value.
I belive also other source that says about 900mm, I do not have reason to not belive him. Even if he can't shows any photos of messurements, but I can ssure You, if I will have opportunity in my life, I will mesure the real tank myself.

If the image in Hunnicutt's book is for scale and your lines are correct (I actually would move the lines a little away from the gunner's sight), then the turret armour thickness is at one side thinner to equal and at the other equal to thicker.
Making a proper drawing is not possible, armor design there is... a bit too complex. Still as I said, armor is not worse in terms of thickness.

methos

Country flag
1) You see, You admitted that it will be better protected yourself on a drawing. BTW, for the front hull Armor I only marked cavity for composite armor, without the backplate. With a bakcplate it will be something around 600mm also. 650mm as Militarysta estimated.
I measured your drawing. Your drawing include your idea of where the armour ends - I think it does end a little bit (maybe 2-3 px) earlier in front of the gunner's main sight. Then the armour would be about the same as on the Leopard 2 - but it would not be thicker. According to your drawing it is still thinner than that of the Leopard 2A5 with wedge.
However the images seems to be not for scale, or do you have any reason to assume that the armour at one side of the turret is significantly thicker than at the other side?

3) And still I do not understand why nececarily it needs to be worse.
The armour weighs less - which would mean that there are more materials with low density inside or that there are less inserts. If you want the armour to be as strong as that of the Leopard 2, then it has to be more efficient per weight. You have to assume that the armour of the M1 is offering more protection per weight - something which seems unreasonable.

5) There is a difference between the in built and addon reactive armor. In built is integral part of basic armor, addon is just addon.
There is not much difference. The place where it is mounted and the efficiency, but not the used materials. It is essentially the same as inbuilt armour, but it cannot be located within the armour because of it's working mechanism.

7) Leopard 2 design is idiotic. And please, remind me how many tanks are based on Leopard 2 design? Especially it's turret? Arjun, and partially Leclerc, with the same placement of main sight. Other modern MBT's use main sight placement similiar to that of M1.
You did not only citicize the sights placement, but also the fact how the armour is stored - which is essential the same way of storage than in any other tank except the M1.

8) And in the same time, in Your posts, this flawed German tank is allways the best. This is ridicoulus, same as claims that SPz Puma is the best IFV, while in fact it is again wasted potential, by idiotic design solution. You ever saw how much space is wasted inside for mechanical subsystems of that unmanned turret? This is indeed idiotic! There would be space for another two dismounts, instead there is a basket for mechanical subsystems of unmanned turret... who designed such idiocy?!
Puma turret and subsystem occupy less space inside than the turret of the Marder or the Ulan... so much to the "wasted space". There is no basket inside...
If you look at the armour protection and the engine, the suspension and transmission, the sights and the APS, then the Puma has very much advantages when compared to other vehicles - at the cost of more weight and less dismounts.
I do not say that the "flawd German tank" - or the Leopard 2 - is the best tank. I do not claim that it is better than all tanks, I just claim that it is a having more armour thickness and more armour mass at the front of the turret when compared to the M1A2.

So I ask You, why Americans that spend more money on R&D, on purchasing foreing products to improve their own, can't be on higher technological level? Good example is EF Typhoon that in most versions have more primitive radar that for example Polish F-16C/D Block 52+, a newer European aircraft have more primitive radar to an older F-16. So explain me why Americans can't stand on higher technological level?
This is one point in which the F-16 is better, but when it comes to other points the EF-2000 outperforms many other aircraft. But we are not talking about the EF, we are talking about the M1 and the mighty American R&D, who still bought British armour and a German gun.
Maybe the U.S. are on a higher technological level, but there is no proof for this. They buy still armour for their medium weight vehicles from other countries and the main argument from most people speaking of the M1's heavy armour is DU... form which we don't know that it is better than other armour (at least for the rather small amounts of known alloys).
Maybe the Germans have a higher technological level - I don't know and I won't claim that without any proofs. But if they both are on the same level the Leopard 2A5 front is the better.

You are aware that they firstly could just took out armor and look at it. Are You aware that AMericans were testing Leopard 2, and could share data with British?
I doubt that they opened the turret and looked into the armour - it is possible but the tank was returned to Germany after trials. They would have known this... I don't think that they were allowed to do so.
Do you think that the Greeks did open up the armour boxes and looked inside? Then they would know the armour of nearly every modern MBT.

The Americans did not test the German armour during the joint evaluation and both Zaloga and Hunnicutt have a very spongy way of saying that the armour would be better. Hunnicat said "somewhat inferior" which implies that he didn't have many data about that and Zaloga's statement is very similar.

Making a proper drawing is not possible, armor design there is... a bit too complex. Still as I said, armor is not worse in terms of thickness.
Yes, the image is probably not for scale. It would not help measuring it.

Damian

I measured your drawing. Your drawing include your idea of where the armour ends - I think it does end a little bit (maybe 2-3 px) earlier in front of the gunner's main sight. Then the armour would be about the same as on the Leopard 2 - but it would not be thicker. According to your drawing it is still thinner than that of the Leopard 2A5 with wedge.
However the images seems to be not for scale, or do you have any reason to assume that the armour at one side of the turret is significantly thicker than at the other side?
Leopard 2A5 have same thickness as Leopard 2A4. Stop adding the space occupied by wedge addon armor. It is allmost empty inside... unless of course for You, air should also be messured.

As for thickness, this is not my assumption, it is based on photographs of a real vehicle. Of course You can argue with reality, but this is not standing against what I said.

The armour weighs less - which would mean that there are more materials with low density inside or that there are less inserts. If you want the armour to be as strong as that of the Leopard 2, then it has to be more efficient per weight. You have to assume that the armour of the M1 is offering more protection per weight - something which seems unreasonable.
How do You know that armor weight less? You did weight messurements yourself? How do You know that Americans just use lighter other components. It was reported that Americans for example simplified the gun, changed the whole breach assembly, recoil system, that can be lighter. Also note that turret of M1 have only armor and ammunition + armament, not for example FCS components or turret traverse components that in M1 are placed in hull.

And of course it is unreasonable for Americans to be more advanced than germans because they are not Germans? I would say something about this... ah, not matters.

There is not much difference. The place where it is mounted and the efficiency, but not the used materials. It is essentially the same as inbuilt armour, but it cannot be located within the armour because of it's working mechanism.
There is significant difference, in design, working mechanism etc. What if Leopard 2 base composite armor do not have reactive elements? This is only assumption, but resonable. You assume that everyone allaround are inferior to Germans, I can assume the same for Germans.

You did not only citicize the sights placement, but also the fact how the armour is stored - which is essential the same way of storage than in any other tank except the M1.
Of course I criticize that. Ammunition storage in Leopard 2 and most tanks is not safe. Some time ago Russians had an accident where the whole crew during simple training died because of unisolated ammunition storage. Same can happen in any other tank, failure of electricity system, a sparks that can reach ammunition, and You can say bye bye for that poor crew. I do not accept such risk.

Puma turret and subsystem occupy less space inside than the turret of the Marder or the Ulan... so much to the "wasted space". There is no basket inside...
If you look at the armour protection and the engine, the suspension and transmission, the sights and the APS, then the Puma has very much advantages when compared to other vehicles - at the cost of more weight and less dismounts.
I do not say that the "flawd German tank" - or the Leopard 2 - is the best tank. I do not claim that it is better than all tanks, I just claim that it is a having more armour thickness and more armour mass at the front of the turret when compared to the M1A2.
SPz Puma have wasted space inside hull. Did You ever seen how much space is wasted there... space that could be used for two more dismounts. But of course we can assume that army that barely fights in any real war should be seen as a subject of worship.

And yes, You are indicating (not directly) that Leopard 2 is better, which is not true, Leopard 2 is a flawed design, s shame for the wester school of tank designing.

This is one point in which the F-16 is better, but when it comes to other points the EF-2000 outperforms many other aircraft. But we are not talking about the EF, we are talking about the M1 and the mighty American R&D, who still bought British armour and a German gun.
Maybe the U.S. are on a higher technological level, but there is no proof for this. They buy still armour for their medium weight vehicles from other countries and the main argument from most people speaking of the M1's heavy armour is DU... form which we don't know that it is better than other armour (at least for the rather small amounts of known alloys).
Maybe the Germans have a higher technological level - I don't know and I won't claim that without any proofs. But if they both are on the same level the Leopard 2A5 front is the better.
You seems to not get the point, or not understand the reality even.

Americans choose to use some of foreing weapon system, althout significantly altered in design, to reduce costs and time to design and procure specific wepon system or component, this is smart approach. They bought British armor and in the same time altered it, we do not even know how and what they changed. Same goes for German gun, that was improved and simplified. So they still have the very same gun, yet cheaper, simpler.

This is the point, Americans purchasing foreing stuff, with their own big R&D system and funding, can much improve this.

But I know that You as eurofile, will defend anything that EU, especially Germany, design and fields. Me as a European that know the reality, I'am against the overcomplicated, overexpensive and mostly outdated or badly designed european products. And there are plenty of examples that these products have better analogs in USA, Russia, Ukraine or even Asia.

I doubt that they opened the turret and looked into the armour - it is possible but the tank was returned to Germany after trials. They would have known this... I don't think that they were allowed to do so.
And who cares what Germans say? Here in Poland our guys just cut off and opened composite armor cavity, You think they give a damn what some Germans will say about this? You think that Britis and Americans would give a damn about Germans? I would say screw them, they can cry as load as they can, they mean nothing.

Do you think that the Greeks did open up the armour boxes and looked inside? Then they would know the armour of nearly every modern MBT.
And why not, what do You know about trails? There were rumors that Americans during Swedish trails, had agreement with Swedes to open armor cavieties on T-80U. You think that someone give a damn about what Russians will say in 1990's?

The Americans did not test the German armour during the joint evaluation and both Zaloga and Hunnicutt have a very spongy way of saying that the armour would be better. Hunnicat said "somewhat inferior" which implies that he didn't have many data about that and Zaloga's statement is very similar.
Both are close to TACOM, and they used TACOM archieves, it might be that there is agreement between US and German goverment that some informations will not be avaiable for public use. Such things happen, Militarysta is best example here.

Yes, the image is probably not for scale. It would not help measuring it.
Well it's Your problem. I provided photos, that prooves that armor is very thick, most probably thicker than in Leopard 2 (and I'am certain to that to be honest). You can not agree. But as I seen, many people agree that Leopard 2 armor is thinner.

militarysta

@Damian

same as claims that SPz Puma is the best IFV, while in fact it is again wasted potential, by idiotic design solution. You ever saw how much space is wasted inside for mechanical subsystems of that unmanned turret? This is indeed idiotic! There would be space for another two dismounts, instead there is a basket for mechanical subsystems of unmanned turret... who designed such idiocy?!
(...)
SPz Puma have wasted space inside hull. Did You ever seen how much space is wasted there... space that could be used for two more dismounts.
Your arrogance and cockiness is amazing! You haven't bigger idea about SPz Puma, but of course You are better, clever, more smart then engeniers and more then 20 years developmend and more then 20 prototypes. Becouse it's You whit your so big knowledges about this IFV. You wrote bullshit.

http://www.rommelkiste.de/Fahrzeuge/Puma/puma8.jpg
Empty spaces on this photos is not empty -only You can think that "space is wasted". Have you ever seen PzGren.platoon whit equipment? Whit weapons, whits spare mags, PzF-3 and MG3? You haven't even misty idea how many equipment need to fight 6persons squad. In this, in your brain, "wasted spaces" you have holders for four Euro-Spike missailes in fireprooof containers under this You have lighty protected metal case for personal G-36 apare mags and MG3 ammo. For 6 person it gives more then 72 mags and 24 granades, and 2 boxes for MG ammo. Of course it's doubled this what 6 infanty soliders have in personal equipment. But You must place it somwhere, and it takes spaces! Over four Euro-Spike containers you have (in this small turret basket) quickly reload store for additional 200 30mm MK30-2/ABM and aditional 1000mm MG4 5,56mm. And again - suprise -it's take space!
Turet due to weight resson must be unmaned (without crew) and as light and small as it was possible. For the other hand - infanty must have place for their ammo and weapons. And smowhere must be placed spare EUROSPike missailes containers. So all is placed in that "wasted" space. And caried this in additional basked outside IFV is the worst idea - like in "cevlar coffins" (Stryker in Iraq).

Damian

Your arrogance and cockiness is amazing! You haven't bigger idea about SPz Puma, but of course You are better, clever, more smart then engeniers and more then 20 years developmend and more then 20 prototypes. Becouse it's You whit your so big knowledges about this IFV. You wrote bullshit.
It seems that truth, is maing You very touchy.

http://www.rommelkiste.de/Fahrzeuge/Puma/puma8.jpg
Empty spaces on this photos is not empty -only You can think that "space is wasted". Have you ever seen PzGren.platoon whit equipment? Whit weapons, whits spare mags, PzF-3 and MG3? You haven't even misty idea how many equipment need to fight 6persons squad. In this, in your brain, "wasted spaces" you have holders for four Euro-Spike missailes in fireprooof containers under this You have lighty protected metal case for personal G-36 apare mags and MG3 ammo.
It is a proof that it is a waste of space. Of course You can be exited with an army that actually don't have any real experience from battlefield, but both Americans and Israelis, with far greater experiences, concluded that the optimal number of dismounts is 9 soldiers.

So what, we will be exicted with an army without experience, or we should learn from people that have actuall combat experience and have demands which in the end are used to design new IFV's.

For 6 person it gives more then 72 mags and 24 granades, and 2 boxes for MG ammo. Of course it's doubled this what 6 infanty soliders have in personal equipment. But You must place it somwhere, and it takes spaces! Over four Euro-Spike containers you have (in this small turret basket) quickly reload store for additional 200 30mm MK30-2/ABM and aditional 1000mm MG4 5,56mm. And again - suprise -it's take space!
6 infantry soldiers a s a dismounts for IFV is awfully small quantity, as I said, Israelis and Americans after years of actuall combat experience decided that optimum is 9 soldiers. As for weapons storage, this can be solved different, for example ammunition boxes and containers can be placed under soldiers seats, or in over track sponsons.

There are allways better alternatives, You just need to think in creative way, not by using dogmats.

Turet due to weight resson must be unmaned (without crew) and as light and small as it was possible. For the other hand - infanty must have place for their ammo and weapons. And smowhere must be placed spare EUROSPike missailes containers. So all is placed in that "wasted" space. And caried this in additional basked outside IFV is the worst idea - like in "cevlar coffins" (Stryker in Iraq).
I completely not understand why You compare a light wheeled APC with heavy tracked IFV... heh it is so easy to call Strykers "Kevlar Coffins" completely ignoring a fac that these were one of the safest vehicles used there.

I smell Sparky here!

As I said, if You know nothing about non german AFV's, do not talk about them, reality might surprise You and shock You my friend. ;)

militarysta

And back to the glastic plate in M1 Abrams:

Sorry pixels don't lie here:

Again - thickens WITHOUT this bulge ring around fuel inlet is almoust exactly 2 inches.
And this ring is not part of the glastic plate thickness.
When we mark properly what we want to count we have that result.

Last edited:

Damian

You know, I don't have even smallest idea what glastic plate is. As for M1 glacis plate, You obviously have problems with understanding what You see... I suggest a month of analizing this photos, maybe then You will see the reality.

Not to mention that You obviously have problems with seeing where is edge of the hole leading to fuel tank injection port. This starts to be very funny... especially that even naked eye sees the difference in thickness between both places.

Last edited:

militarysta

@Damian
It seems that truth, is maing You very touchy.
What making me touchy is yours lack of even trying to be objective, and when You becoming to second Tarasenko whit the same level of stupid arguments.

It is a proof that it is a waste of space. Of course You can be exited with an army that actually don't have any real experience from battlefield, but both Americans and Israelis, with far greater experiences, concluded that the optimal number of dismounts is 9 soldiers.
As I said - im to old to take a part whit discussion without arguments. I posted them - why this space is not wested (becouse this space included 200 round for 30mm canon, 1000mm rounds for 5,56 MG4, 4 conteiners whit EURO-Spike, and at least 72 mags for G-36 and 24 granades, and 2 MG3 ammo boxes.
And whats Your point? Another bulshit about "real experience from battlefield" but not answer for my post! I need discussion not crap in that style. It's obvious that this space is not wasted, you made next extremly stupid argument to find smth bad in GERMAN IFV, and now when I show that its obvious not true You don't even try to argue.
Yours argument about "wasted space" in Puma is crap. And it's extremly stupid. And its cairly visible - You have "germanophoby" and you hate germans, germans tanks, IFV, and others. You don't even try to be objective!

6 infantry soldiers a s a dismounts for IFV is awfully small quantity, as I said, Israelis and Americans after years of actuall combat experience decided that optimum is 9 soldiers.
It was describe in literature many times, and many post had been written about that. Programmed 30mm and Spiek in all analyst about full scale conflict shows that better arment can replace two additional soilders. And only USA have 9 soilders. And for you its of course the best becouse it's "made in USA". Without any arguments.
BTW: Our wheeld IFV Rosomak initially takes 8 soilders. After Afgan lessons now it only takes 6 soilders. Think why.

As for weapons storage, this can be solved different, for example ammunition boxes and containers can be placed under soldiers seats, or in over track sponsons.
No it can't be for two resons:
1) in track sponson is suspension system and fuel, and ist fully separated for main hule due to IED reson (sponsons not transfer energy after IED or mine explosion - they must be separated for main hull, and they are connected only in two points)
2) placed under soilder seat is extremly stupid due to IED case. When you placed smth. (even in box) you prepering secondar "incidental" bullet after IED. And You forgot that inner flor shoud be made for hight plasticity steel whit graet ability to strain but not tear. All under soilders seat is extremly dangerous after IED explosion becouse it's take energy and ussale became "incidental" bullet inner crew zomparment. Thats reson why all thinsk shoud be mounted to the roof or sides. But god christ - not to the floor.

So it wasn't possible. Any nex brillant ideas?

militarysta

@Methos - turret weights:

M1A1 - 21t.
M1A1HA - 23t.
M1A2 - 24,4t

Leopard-2A4 - 16t.
Leopard-2A5 - 19,9t (without NERA 18,25t)

AMX-56 Leclerc - 18,5t.

Challenger-2 20-21t.

Ob.184 (T-72B) - 11,55t.

Damian

What making me touchy is yours lack of even trying to be objective, and when You becoming to second Tarasenko whit the same level of stupid arguments.
:D

Well I'am objective, I allways say something positive about different designs but... it is hard to find many positive points of Leopard 2 design. In fact when I started to deeply analize it's design, I'm become more and more disapointed with it's design.

As I said - im to old to take a part whit discussion without arguments. I posted them - why this space is not wested (becouse this space included 200 round for 30mm canon, 1000mm rounds for 5,56 MG4, 4 conteiners whit EURO-Spike, and at least 72 mags for G-36 and 24 granades, and 2 MG3 ammo boxes.
And whats Your point? Another bulshit about "real experience from battlefield" but not answer for my post! I need discussion not crap in that style. It's obvious that this space is not wasted, you made next extremly stupid argument to find smth bad in GERMAN IFV, and now when I show that its obvious not true You don't even try to argue.
Yours argument about "wasted space" in Puma is crap. And it's extremly stupid. And its cairly visible - You have "germanophoby" and you hate germans, germans tanks, IFV, and others. You don't even try to be objective!
Good that I do not have germanophilia... Other than that, I prefer to listen soldiers and look at armies with real combat experience... not some defilade army.

If SPz Puma would have an isolated crew compartment in front, and a space for dismounts for 8 or 9 soldiers, then it would have been much better design, for now it is just well armored, yet wasted potential.

It was describe in literature many times, and many post had been written about that. Programmed 30mm and Spiek in all analyst about full scale conflict shows that better arment can replace two additional soilders. And only USA have 9 soilders. And for you its of course the best becouse it's "made in USA". Without any arguments.
BTW: Our wheeld IFV Rosomak initially takes 8 soilders. After Afgan lessons now it only takes 6 soilders. Think why.
All these analizes of of full scale conflicts made by defilade armies without any real combat experience with massive use of armored fighting vehicles seems to be a failed attempt.

Besides this Israelis also use 9 men squads, oh do You don't know how many dismounts can be placed in Namer? :D

As for Rosomak, it is fault of manned turret with big turret basket.

No it can't be for two resons:
1) in track sponson is suspension system and fuel, and ist fully separated for main hule due to IED reson (sponsons not transfer energy after IED or mine explosion - they must be separated for main hull, and they are connected only in two points)
2) placed under soilder seat is extremly stupid due to IED case. When you placed smth. (even in box) you prepering secondar "incidental" bullet after IED. And You forgot that inner flor shoud be made for hight plasticity steel whit graet ability to strain but not tear. All under soilders seat is extremly dangerous after IED explosion becouse it's take energy and ussale became "incidental" bullet inner crew zomparment. Thats reson why all thinsk shoud be mounted to the roof or sides. But god christ - not to the floor.

So it wasn't possible. Any nex brillant ideas?
I was talking about overtrack sponsons (półki nad gąsienicowe), there is enough space for storing dismounts ammunition, and is not filled with suspension, while fuel tanks can be properly aranged to make space for something else there.

As for placing ammunition and supplies under seats, it might be truth, but still, additional 2 dismounts is a better option, and this conclusion was made by someone who actually fighted in war, not some guy sitting safely in europe.

Besides this there are other safety issues with German tanks.

Because these days standard is semi combustible case for main gun ammunition, isolated storage is even more important than ever. Let's imagine a situation when electricity system have some fault and there are plenty of sparks going off. It is enough to ignite propelant charge through thin semi combustible case.

Such accident occured with Russian Army T-72B on excercise, whole crew died.

Also Leopard 2 have a very tight turret compartment that is separated by metal wiremesh with frame. Let's imagine a situation that crew needs to get out of a tank quickly, but one of hatches is jammed, they don't have time to go through driver or evacuation hatch in hull. So they need to waste time to deattache this frame with wiremesh that is separating right side of the turret from the left side, and in the end, some of them might not get out alive.

So there we have another points against Leopard 2. It is not only tank that I would not want to go to war, but I would also not want to train in on a proving ground. And as we all know, accidents in tanks can happen any time and crew needs possibilities to quickly get out of vehicle.

Last edited:

militarysta

I will stay at substantive discussion side ;-)

I was talking about overtrack sponsons (półki nad gąsienicowe), there is enough space for storing dismounts ammunition, and is not filled with suspension, while fuel tanks can be properly aranged to make space for something else there.
Not, unfortunetly it wasn't posiible becouse:
-in right overtrack sponson SPz Puma have two independent electricity generators whit they fuel supply, cooling system, and ther is placed air conditioning -and it's take space again. There was no option to place smth there.
- in left overtrack sponson SPz Puma have... exhaust engine pipe, but not "ordinary" but special - its screened by thermal coating and ther is syetem to mixing of hot exhaust and cold air. It gives thermal signature lower about 4-6 times then "normal" IFV but it takes...space.
Sorry it not so easy to find free space in IFV when you want to minimalize crew comparment.

but still, additional 2 dismounts is a better option
But not with that turret. And other turret was imposible in 43t weight limit, and what is important 31,45t in A (airportable on A400 Atlas) level. Sorry - eacht soilder more cost between 2-4 metric tones...

If SPz Puma would have an isolated crew compartment in front, and a space for dismounts for 8 or 9 soldiers,
Where? o_O I don't get it.

All these analizes of of full scale conflicts made by defilade armies without any real combat experience with massive use of armored fighting vehicles seems to be a failed attempt.
The same analyst was made in Poland and othr countries. Programed cannon and ATGM can replaced two soilders in IFV squad.

As for Rosomak, it is fault of manned turret with big turret basket.
No, reson was diffrent - You hav it described in NTW from this spring :) All was about...place for aditional ammo, and load. And...so huge firepower guaranteed by Hitfist-30P allowed to cancel the two soilders in Rosomak -AMV without decrease the combat effectiveness.
Sound familliar?

Damian

Not, unfortunetly it wasn't posiible becouse:
-in right overtrack sponson SPz Puma have two independent electricity generators whit they fuel supply, cooling system, and ther is placed air conditioning -and it's take space again. There was no option to place smth there.
- in left overtrack sponson SPz Puma have... exhaust engine pipe, but not "ordinary" but special - its screened by thermal coating and ther is syetem to mixing of hot exhaust and cold air. It gives thermal signature lower about 4-6 times then "normal" IFV but it takes...space.
Sorry it not so easy to find free space in IFV when you want to minimalize crew comparment.
Too many strange decisions and design solutions. And they will have problems with dismounted infantry. Firepower of IFV not allways will compensate lack of more dismounts.

Americans also have 6 dismounts in M2A2/M2A3, and they see it as too low.

Same for Israelis, 9 soldiers squads are seen as more effective.

But not with that turret. And other turret was imposible in 43t weight limit, and what is important 31,45t in A (airportable on A400 Atlas) level. Sorry - eacht soilder more cost between 2-4 metric tones...
They would not have problems if they would not try to force production of A400M, if they have a better solution allready there, and it is called C-17A.

Where? o_O I don't get it.
There is enough space, it would also benefit making SPz Puma a real modular combat platform with easier modules integration when crew compartment is isolated.

The same analyst was made in Poland and othr countries. Programed cannon and ATGM can replaced two soilders in IFV squad.
What other countries? These European ones that slowly but steady reduce their armed forces to a non existance level?

No, reson was diffrent - You hav it described in NTW from this spring All was about...place for aditional ammo, and load. And...so huge firepower guaranteed by Hitfist-30P allowed to cancel the two soilders in Rosomak -AMV without decrease the combat effectiveness.
Sound familliar?
You know what, I will prefere solutions made by armies that actually fight and have combat experience. Thinking that some analize made by armies that don't fight or perform only peace keeping operations is better than a experience gained in blood is a bit... naive.

Damian

Interesting photos appeard on GSPO forums.

It seems to be long time ago forgotten prototype, the Object 167M.

militarysta

@Damian

In irronic way: Good exist and You will be punished for You writing about 80mm upper glastic plate in M1

Later I will post photos when is mega clery visivble how thick is that plate :)
Photos in progrss.

Damian

I seen them and... In my opinnion glacis plate is thicker above fuel tanks. You just forget that there is thread deforming surface. But fo courseYou can belive in any fantasy You want. ;)

Besides this, why should I like a steel coffin in Your opinion? I pointed out many safety issues wil Leopard 2, safety issues that are not existing in most other designs.

Last edited:

methos

Country flag
@Methos - turret weights:

M1A1 - 21t.
M1A1HA - 23t.
M1A2 - 24,4t

Leopard-2A4 - 16t.
Leopard-2A5 - 19,9t (without NERA 18,25t)

AMX-56 Leclerc - 18,5t.

Challenger-2 20-21t.

Ob.184 (T-72B) - 11,55t.
Combat or empty weight?
Empty Leopard 2 turret of the earliest batches weighs 15.5 tonnes (a movie from upgrading them to 2A5s shows that), if we add three people standing there, the personal equipment, ammunition, other equipment for the tank (e.g. tarning net etc.) and hydraulic liquids, then the turret would weigh more than 16 tonnes.
The Leopard 2A4 has been claimed to be a little heavier, i.e. it would then weigh ~16.5 to 17 tonnes.
M1A2 weighs fully loaden ~62 tonnes, with 24.4 t turret weight this would leave 37.6 tonnes for the hull. Damian said that the hull weighs 36 tonnes without turbine according to some worker. If we add 1.13 tonnes for engine then we have ~37.13 tonnes for the hull, which implies that the values for the M1 Abrams are combat weight values.

Damian

Damian said that the hull weighs 36 tonnes without turbine according to some worker.
And without fully installed suspension. It was in that National Geographic document from JSMC, where they asked a worker installing suspension how much weight the hull gained up to his workin station. I think You can find it on YT.

Recently I recived these photos of M1A2SEP v2.

Last edited:

methos

Country flag
Some time ago I wrote that other people claimed that there were more 125 mm APFSDS developed after 3BM-42M:

3БМ1 - 100-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд для пушек 2А19, 2А29
3БМ2 - 100-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд для пушек 2А19, 2А29
3БМ3 - 115-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд для пушек 2А20
3БМ4 - 115-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд для пушек 2А20
3БМ5 - 115-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд для пушек 2А21
3БМ6 - 115-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд для пушек 2А20
3БМ7 - 100-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд для пушек 52-П-412
3БМ8 - 100-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд для пушек 52-П-412
3БМ9 - 125-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд
3БМ10 - бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд 3БМ9 с дополнительным зарядом
3БМ11 - 122-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд для пушек 52-П-472, 2А17
3БМ12 - 125-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд
3БМ13 - бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд 3БМ12 с дополнительным зарядом
3БМ15 - 125-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд
3БМ16 - бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд 3БМ15 с дополнительным зарядом
3БМ17 - 125-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд
3БМ18 - бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд 3БМ17 с дополнительным зарядом
3БМ19 -
3БМ20 - 100-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд для пушек 52-П-412
3БМ21 - 115-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд для пушек 2А20
3БМ22 - активная часть (сердечник) снаряда 3БМ23
3БМ23 - 125-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд "Надежда" ("Заколка" )
3БМ24 - 100-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд для пушек 2А19, 2А29
3БМ25 - 100-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд для орудий 52-П-412, 2А70
3БМ26 - активная часть (сердечник) снаряда 3БМ27
3БМ27 - 125-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд "Надежда-Р"
3БМ28 - 115-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд "Надфиль" для пушек 2А20
3БМ29 - активная часть (сердечник) снаряда 3БМ30
3БМ30 - 125-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд "Надфиль-2"
3БМ32 - активная часть (сердечник) снаряда 3БМ33
3БМ33 - 125-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд "Вант"
3БМ36 - 115-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд для пушек 2А20
3БМ39 - 125-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд "Анкер"
3БМ42 - активная часть (сердечник) снаряда 3БМ44
3БМ42М - активная часть (сердечник) снаряда 3БМ44М
3БМ43 -
3БМ44 - 125-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд "Манго"
3БМ44М - 125-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд "Лекало"
3БМ44У - 125-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд
3БМ44У1 - 125-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд
3БМ44У2 - 125-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд
3БМ46 - активная часть (сердечник) снаряда 3БМ48
3БМ48 - 125-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд "Свинец"
3БМ59 - 125-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд "Свинец-1"
3БМ60 - 125-мм бронебойный подкалиберный снаряд "Свинец-2"

Essentially 3BM-59 and 3BM-60 would be new rounds, named "Svinets-1" and "Svinets-2", which probably means they are using DU.

Last edited:

Damian

Hmmm, some time ago someone posted a photo from Russian proving ground showing a petal of a new Sabot for a tested ammunition. It was a "western looking" sabot... perhaps new ammunition they developed is more a western approach than the more classic one for them.

Articles