Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

Damian

Did I not post M1A2SEP TC position above? ;)

I can assure You that basic M1A2 is not much different, only CITV and IVIS displays are different than integrated CITV - FBCB2 display.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Did I not post M1A2SEP TC position above? ;)

I can assure You that basic M1A2 is not much different, only CITV and IVIS displays are different than integrated CITV - FBCB2 display.
Actually i needed exactly like the one like in Arjun and T-90MS..

Anyways, Thanks for the effort..

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Something like this?

Kunal, this will work for You?

From this angle...

Damian do have the photo of T-90MS interior where putin was siting just like in Arjun here.. ?

It seems that Abrams and T90 have significantly less cluttered commander's station than Arjun. But Abrams is the least cluttered from the pics.

In the workplace the less cluttered and well-arranged the place is the less stressful it is for the workers (usually translating to greater productivity). I don't know if this observation should apply to tanks...

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
It seems that Abrams and T90MS have significantly less cluttered commander's station than Arjun. But Abrams is the least cluttered from the pics.

In the workplace the less cluttered and well-arranged the place is the less stressful it is for the workers (usually translating to greater productivity). I don't know if this observation should apply to tanks...
T-90S & T-80U have much smaller space..

T-90S

T-80U

-------------------------------------------------------

MBT-3000

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
In the workplace the less cluttered and well-arranged the place is the less stressful it is for the workers
It does matter ....

Well organized and better man machine Interface enhance crew fighting ability, Just like in fighter aircraft..

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Another thing is the lack of integrated microphone for the Arjun Commander. He has to hold a handset to communicate. I hope this is just for this particular tank and all the rest are equipped with integrated tank helmet for ease of communications (very important in very tense situation when the commander have to monitor the area, make decisions, communicate with his crew and communicate with friendly forces outside the tank or other tank commanders at quick successions or simultaneously. Maybe they should also have noise cancelling earsets...

Damian

M1A2 and M1A2SEP with new ICWS (Improved Commander Weapon Station) cupola also seems to have best short range observation capabilities for commander due to large periscopes covering whole 360 degrees.

As for crew personall equipment. I wonder why Indians still use such... old fashioned stuff. It is not close to US MSS crew equipment with CVC ballistic helmet, IBA/IOTV ballistic vest, integrated cooling equipment, nomex uniform, nomex protection for face, hands and inside boots.

Also Russians have new equipment for crews, called "Cowboy" (yeah I know, WTF? :D).

Gur Khan attacks!: Российские танкисты получат "ковбойскую" экипировку

As Militarysta proved to me, even Germans started to use CVC helmets and ballistic vests for their vehicles crews, so why Indian army do not try to increase vehicle crew survivability this way?

Last edited by a moderator:

Damian

Kunal, Russian army do not use T-90S, because T-90S is for export. If I'am correct this is tank with welded turret and newer electronics package, then it is T-90A.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Kunal, Russian army do not use T-90S, because T-90S is for export. If I'am correct this is tank with welded turret and newer electronics package, then it is T-90A.
My bad, It should have T-90A inside..

Damian

It is interesting how much space is occupied inside by cupola gearbox and electric traverse motor. I like the idea of such armed cupola, but it is outdated in times where You can replace it with RWS and standard cupola like ICWS in M1A2/M1A2SEP provides better all around short range visibility.

bhramos

Country flag
[video=youtube_share;QUMxZ34Ptco]http://youtu.be/QUMxZ34Ptco[/video]

Damian

XM1111 MRM-KE and MRM-CE tests.

USMC M1A1's during patrol in Afghanistan.

Last edited by a moderator:

hest

Hello to all :wave:

It is interesting how much space is occupied inside by cupola gearbox and electric traverse motor. I like the idea of such armed cupola, but it is outdated in times where You can replace it with RWS and standard cupola like ICWS in M1A2/M1A2SEP provides better all around short range visibility.
You should remember that ability to use such remotedly operated weapon (from within tank) was present in Soviet tanks for 30 years already (T-80UD and T-90) while Abrams lacked this ability until very recently (last two years) :cool2:

In addition, system they use, CROWS-2 (Kongsberg, Norway) is more bulky and heavier

Than Sovien analogue (operated throught TKN-4S)

Last edited:

Articles