Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters
Country flag
were T-90's used in Georgia?? This is the first time I am hearing about this??

p2prada

You have asked too many useless questions. Can't answer them all. My position stands.

besides i have already said 500 Arjun buy will make DRDO break even. link here -
You only want DRDO to make a profit. Nothing else. 500 Tanks mean squat. 10% of T-series. Nobody will use them. You don't want the army to profit.

the trials wrt to Arjun has been "less than FAIR" to many.
I am only repeating myself. Engine failed, Transmission failed, FCS failed, Tracks failed. What more do you want?

asked you to show me the speech. you are yet to do that. you are yet to give even a link in support of your claim.
Nobody uploads Parliament speeches.

guess that pat turned into a 124 unit order!!!
Pittance.

you do not care. that much is for sure.
Dead project.

will you apply the same logic if an american bad mouths PAKFA?? or vice versa about F-22??
Not if the discussion is logical. Murgun pointed out PAKFA will be less stealthy than the F-22. That ended the discussion.

that is not reasons for you to post it here and claim his article in support of your claim as if he was an indian lt. general!!
Shoot the message not the messenger. He pointed out all the flaws that the Arjun faced in 2000.

remember gen. shankar roy chowdhary, former COAS?? he supports Arjun tank and was instrumental in its induction in IA. and he too was a tankman. are you going to thrash him too??
He supports the Indianness of the tank. He promises the Arjun will be better in the future. T-90 is better now though, so it was chosen.

more than 4 months have passed since Ajai wrote that article!! nothing except silence!!
Who cares? Nobody important does and that's the fact.

even that system operates within the confines of india's constitution and its judicial system!!!

any citizen can file a case under that if based on sound evidence.
How innocent. :)

point was not to bring and post those rubbish here by Pak army men. i gave a link of the same guy. read it.
They make good points when they have them. It helps knowing the opinion of people we are planning to kill.

The rest of your posts are not worth replying to.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
1. Russian T-90 Vladmirs are significantly inferior to the T-90M being inducted in the Indian Army.
2. How about blaming the way assault was led ? There was a discussion on DFI on this topic.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
1. Russian T-90 Vladmirs are significantly inferior to the T-90M being inducted in the Indian Army.
2. How about blaming the way assault was led ? There was a discussion on DFI on this topic.
Singh how many T90M were inducted into IA ?????????

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
thanks, now how many will be inducted ???
Atleast 5 times as many as the Arjuns ! Though for better approximations you will have to tap into the wonders of the search on this site or on google for I believe the numbers are on the interweb.

p2prada

Atleast 5 times as many as the Arjuns ! Though for better approximations you will have to tap into the wonders of the search on this site or on google for I believe the numbers are on the interweb.
Yeah! Immediate production T-90M will probably be 700 in number when T-90s will have 95% local components. The rest will be upgraded like the MKI, especially the ERA.

Too many rumours about the actual numbers though.

san

When yankees blown lot of Iraqi T72, then it is export version, When Chechnians destroyed T72 with the crew burnt alive, then it was old non upgrade version, When destroyed T90 is shown it is inferior version , too what extend all are going to pretend that T is the best. Nobody is going to believe except some indian.
If somebody believes that indian export version T90 is better than russian T90, then pls ask an russian about it in a non indian forum. Everybody will laugh.
Russian has T90M Valdimir and India will get export version of T90M Valdmir if we pay additional $.

Last edited:

san

Kontakt 5
[/QUOTE]
What had happend to this one. Is it done sucide. I heard T90 is nonpentrable and except god none can detroy it.

Last edited:

san

This is something from a retired Lt General about the Arjun. I am certain his words carry more weight than a Major or the media.

http://www.defencejournal.com/2001/september/tank.htm

Too many Red lines there. The T-90 was under trial against such a tank in early 2000. So, how do you expect the IA to chose it?

DRDO fixed the problems completely only in 2008, not even in 2005. In 2005, the Arjun's engine completely failed during Winter tests. 4 engines had to be replaced well short of their lifespan, actually in just a day.

Also, the comparative trials were delayed only because the Army did not like the fact that its decision was being questioned by DRDO, a seller who is supposed to have no right in this matter and pressured by the Ministry when the T-90 deal had already finished 5 years of assembly and local production was being readied. They were just playing their political games. The 124 tanks purchased the second time was out of pressure rather than any genuine need. A 5000 tank army buying 248 tanks. Don't you see something is wrong.

Now, of course, you can say that the Arjun is a success and that Lt General Lodi is a liar and that a retired major journo has more information about tanks that the the entire army and that the existing generals are just paid by the Russians and that everything is just unfair and that blah, blah, blah.

Read between the lines. Grow up. More Importantly, swallow your pride.

The Arjun sucks. Period. The T-90s are better. Period. The Army is right. Period. DRDO is your average-Joe vegetable shop. Period. MoD are politicians. Period. Journos are comic relief. Period. Go Figure!
Why are you writing something quoting a Paki general Lt Gen (Retd) SARDAR FS LODI . Are you a:). We indians may be corrupt but quoting a paki general and writing to praise on Al Khalid comparing DRDO with joe vegetable that is too much for an indian

Last edited:

Georgian Hind

Kontakt 5

What had happend to this one. Is it done sucide. I heard T90 is nonpentrable and except god none can detroy it.
This is Russian peacekeepers Base in Tskhinvali the base was assaulted by georgian army land forces.
before an assault it may be Shelled by georgian artillery.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Indeed, But it was destroyed by Arty fire ( Georgian LARs ), Not by any ATGM or Anti-tank..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The problem is you are comparing specs. You cannot compare specs and decide which is the better gun. There are too many factors that govern the quality and power of guns. Even Shell quality matters. The max the Arjun can shoot a shell is at 1680m/s. The American shells have been reported to travel at velocities of upto 1800m/s, mainly their Heavy DU shells.
Their is comparison of guns not shells.
Arjun is superior gun coz its length and chamber pressure is more than L44 & 2A46M..
IF you are taking abt SHELL its a different topic..

The quality of the M256 Suspension, heat sinks, recoil springs, shell structure, shell shaping will be superior to the Arjun's for obvious reasons.
Well as you noticed that Arjun have thermal jacket ( Heat sink) and recoils springs are good enough but what counts is the gyros are way ahead of T-class, Arjun archive fire on move with precision first strike capability..

The T-90 had ERA in 2000 when the contract took place. The Arjun will have an ERA...when? Will it be ready when the Kaktus comes out?
Thats is a very different way u asked, though my answer is the next batch of 124 are getting ERA cover..

I agree. But, if you say this as the only reason why we have to go for Arjun instead then you are mistaken. The T-90 is cheaper, easily deployable and has superior armour. More number of T-90s can be deployed as compared to the Arjun too. Arjun's ERA is a paper project. The NERA is not even equipped to fight off KE penetrators which is the exact opposite of ERA. It only kills HEAT rounds.
I have given u the details abt deployment of Arjun in previous post, pls go through it..
I have doubts abt T-90S price in recent days, Also many articles were provided for the reason..
No, NERA can be worked against HEAT also KE and present example is on Singaporean LEos..

You cannot compare the Arjun's gun with the L-44. It is an older generation gun. Funny how people like comparing the 2010 Arjun with the 2000 T-90 and the 1990 Arjun gun to the 1970 M1 gun.
Well its you who stared by M256 with Arjun gun, Also not to mention abt your post which i am replying right now..

Come back after the Arjun has survived direct hits from RPG-29.
Can u give my Armour penetration of RPG-29?

PS. I see Russian-Georgian conflict have nothing to do in T-90M thread coz their was no T-90 involved in war, Only T-72BM..
Btw the pic was abt a unknown ERA, it wasn't K-5 nor any other discussed on the thread..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles