LOC, LAC & International Border skirmishs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country flag
No doubt they milked the Americans dry but they also kept pace with the modernization of certain critical equipment, Sniper Rifles being one.
@Bornubus has listed some of their newer weapons below your post.
Okay found this interesting piece from four years ago:

https://www.dawn.com/news/1037459

They are more active militarily and they use what they have. They had their hands on stinger missiles before we had IGLA's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jadoogar

Country flag
Agreed largely, but you can forget about S Korea (they hate Japan more than they hate China), Australia (all politicians are in China's pockets, as is their industry) and Taiwan (too dependent on China and too small).

I'd say India, Japan, US, Vietnam is a realistic nexus, though the US is unreliable and may go whichever way it wants at any time without warning.
Some good points - but I would treat South Korea separately. SK is quite economically dependent on the United States (I won't go into the details). Also reunification with NK is a big carrot. It all depends upon how the US goes.

TheHurtLocker

Country flag
They are more active militarily and they use what they have. They had their hands on stinger missiles before we had IGLA's
Not to mention the 155mm M109 Tracked Arty which Uncle Sam in all his heroin laced wisdom decided to endow upon the Uniformed Jehadis, the free MRAP vehicles, the freaking M134 Miniguns, the thermal sights the Arty Fire Locating Radars, the free Bell Choppers etc.
Very resourceful for a country that ate grass to gain access to Chinese Nukes.

Around 30 seconds of information in a 15 minute video.
:lol:
The visuals were quite good and although I would have preferred a Nitin Gokhale or a Maroof Raza, I guess one cannot have it all.
:india:

Last edited:

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Like many other russian weaponry,Dragunov is what i call 'poor man's sniper rifle'.

No doubt it was way ahead in its time when it was revealed in 60's with that PSO-1 scope (as like many other russian firearms it actually went under a competition against several designs and emerged victorious),that rifle is not meant to fire standard 7.62 x 54mm cartridges but special 'match-grade' ones specially designed for it with special primers,propellants and hardened casings.I'm not sure which ammunition is being provided to IA snipers/designated marksmen,standard ones or 'sniper' ones.

@Bornubus if rifle is okay but scope is a problem with SVD,i have a practical solution for that one,and that is,like those Kalashnikovs being 'upgraded' with modern furniture and dust covers with picatiny rails on top,why don't they do same with these dragunovs and issue some modern scops with them instead of those PSO-1s till a better solution is found to replace them ?

Side-mount Picatiny Rails on SVD

Picatiny Dust Cover

Even the Russians have done same things with their modernised dragunov,called SVDM.

(Though this modernised variant of SVD has free-floating barrel which SVD doesn't have).

Plus,Wikipedia says we make dragunovs in OFB factories but i couldn't find bout it anywhere else.What is truth ? those dragunovs being used in IA are OFB-made ?

Last edited:

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Like many other russian weaponry,Dragunov is what i call 'poor man's sniper rifle'.

No doubt it was way ahead in its time when it was revealed in 60's with that PSO-1 scope (as like many other russian firearms it actually went under a competition against several designs and emerged victorious),that rifle is not meant to fire standard 7.62 x 54mm cartridges but special 'match-grade' ones specially designed for it with special primers,propellants and hardened casings.I'm not sure which ammunition is being provided to IA snipers/designated marksmen,standard ones or 'sniper' ones.

@Bornubus if rifle is okay but scope is a problem with SVD,i have a practical solution for that one,and that is,like those Kalashnikovs being 'upgraded' with modern furniture and dust covers with picatiny rails on top,why don't they do same with these dragunovs and issue some modern scops with them instead of those PSO-1s till a better solution is found to replace them ?

Side-mount Picatiny Rails on SVD

Picatiny Dust Cover

Even the Russians have done same things with their modernised dragunov,called SVDM.

(Though this modernised variant of SVD has free-floating barrel which SVD doesn't have).

Plus,Wikipedia says we make dragunovs in OFB factories but i couldn't find bout it anywhere else.What is truth ? those dragunovs being used in IA are OFB-made ?
Baba ji judging by you're posts u seem to have a lot of knowledge about guns, are u in a particular feel related to firearms?

square

Strategic Issues
EU Vice President: Aggressive China did not anticipate strong Indian response in Doklam.

Czarnecki said, “On June 16, China’s unilateral move to build a motorable road from Dokala in Doklam area towards the Bhutan Army camp in Zornpelri is an illustration of this policy .. Bhutan’s objection to construction activities by China in the disputed Doklam area, conveyed through diplomatic channels, was possibly expected by China. However, what China may not have foreseen was India stepping in to defend Bhutan’s territorial sovereignty.”

The Chinese action in the Doklam plateau can be seen as a part of the country’s recent tendency to unilaterally change the ground situation in areas that are disputed. The most well-reported example has been China’s deliberate move to disrupt the status quo in the South China Sea.. by conveniently ignoring the maritime territorial claims of Malaysia, Vietnam, Brunei and the Philippines in the region .. expanding its strategic outreach in the area,” says the European Parliament vice president. China, he opines, may have only gambled, anticipated and calculated that Bhutan would not be able to retaliate through force, and believed that the construction of the road would be completed within weeks, giving it a clear strategic advantage. However, all didn’t go as planned. The movement of Indian troops, done in consultation with the Government of Bhutan and with the principal objective to maintain status quo, was probably not anticipated by China. The Chinese Foreign Ministry and its state-owned media reacted predictably to the Indian action with strong rhetoric, including reminding India of its defeat in the Indo-China war in 1962. “China’s propaganda machinery has gone into an overdrive to implicate India for the border stand-off, conveniently glossing over the fact that China had taken the first step to change the status quo of the tri-junction area that it had committed to maintain under the Agreement on Maintenance of Peace and Tranquillity, signed with India in 1993. China is now insisting that it would not hold any dialogue on the matter till Indian troops withdrew from the area,” Czarnecki says in his article.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter

Wikipedia is not a reliable source for defense related stiff.

Ancient Indian

p = np :)
That is a relief to hear.
It took the Mumbai Massacre for our asswipe netas to equip the NSG with decent gear.Hopefully we don't wait for such rude wake up calls and see some movement on such basic equipment and soon.
What sort of sniper rifles do our SG/SFF/Para SF have?

Wow, a look at the location of Keran, Pak Occupied Kashmir gives a layman like me a good idea as to why it'd be a good infiltration route:
1)Major Road right along the sector, the road also follows the river Neelum which snakes through the mountains and covers this sector on the west, through and through.
Must be very difficult to keep vigil on.

2)Keran to Kupwara looks like a real paradise for Jehadis to move along....... 31 Km of pure maze.

I hope the Jehadis are burnt to a crisp with TB Rounds and the Uniformed Jehadis who gave covering fire to these motherless fucks see the wrong end of a 105mm Shell.
Why are we letting this keran place exist?
Looks like, apart from army and crpf, we have nothing there to look after these matters.

indiatester

Country flag
Some light stuff.

http://www.firstpost.com/india/get-...er-chinas-1890-accord-on-doka-la-3804149.html
Get this: Modi cited Vikramaditya era pact to counter China's 1890 Doka La accord

This was a tweet that Gopal Baglay, External Affairs Ministry spokesperson, put out after Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping had a quick, spur-of-the-moment meeting in Hamburg the other day. Baglay refused to elaborate on either the "range of things" they talked about or the success of the powwow.

A day later, he revealed to reporters, like a messiah delivering celestial wisdom to his apostles, that the picture that went with his tweet itself "speaks more than a thousand words". He was apparently referring to the smiles on the faces of Jinping and Modi.

More than a thousand words? Really?

Language aficionados say that it was the American magazine Printers Ink which had first used the expression "one look is worth a thousand words" in 1921, attributing it to a Japanese scholar. Six years later, the same magazine printed the line "one picture is worth ten thousand words" and said it was of Chinese origin. This led to speculation that it was Confucius who had first coined it and that led to the confusion.

Confucius is no longer in a fit condition to shed light — he died in 479 BC — on whether he had said thousand or ten thousand words. The clever Baglay played it safe with "more than a thousand". And this led to a whole lot of confusion too. Baglay's tweet became a conundrum, of a kind even the senior-most journalists covering the external affairs ministry had not encountered before.

Reporters pored over the photo to ferret out the "more than thousand" words that supposedly lurked behind the smiles of Modi and Xi, but they found none. Then they rushed to physiognomists, anthroposcopisgts and even metopomancists for help but to no avail.

But I was lucky. I found a source — I'll call him Deep Throat — who revealed to me what went on between Modi and Xi when they met in a side room with a large window overlooking a lawn in Hamburg. He told me the story — though only up to a point.

Deep Throat said he had crouched on the lawn and peeped into the open window and saw it all. This is what he said.

Once they had stepped into the room and dismissed their respective aides, Modi and Xi locked themselves in a tight embrace, like two brothers separated by a cruel villain finding each other at the end of a Bollywood movie.

"Xi," Modi said.

"Ji," Xi sighed.

Separating themselves from each other with great reluctance, they sat at the two ends of a long sofa. But soon the camaraderie disappeared like a candle light being blown. Their smiles were gone. For an entire minute, they scowled at each other in silence.

Modi was the first to break the silence. "Your boys must get the hell out of Doka la," he said with fire in his eyes.

Xi's retort was quick. "If anybody must get out of there, it's your kids," he said. "Doka la belongs to China."

"Applesauce and balderdash," Modi said, shaking his head in disgust and raising his voice. Doka la belongs to Bhutan, and India has a contract to save Bhutan from expansionist, hegemonic real-estate usurpers like China. And what basis do you have to make such an absurd claim that Doka la is part of China anyway?"

A file image of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping. Getty Images

"Why, of course, the 1890 agreement says it all," Xi said, looking surprised that Modi should even ask the question.

"But that accord," Modi said, "was signed by the Queen of England and Emperor Guanxu of China and, since then, circumstances have changed as unrecognisably as ape has changed into man in evolution. Your selective amnesia no doubt stops you from recalling that the so-called 1890 agreement was all about Sikkim and Tibet. Now, Sikkim is ours, and you claim Tibet is yours. Besides, Bhutan was never a party to it."

"But an accord is an accord is an accord," Xi insisted with a grimace.

A smile crossed Modi's face. "In which case," he declared, "I too have an accord that will beat the life out of all accords ever signed since Big Bang."

"I beg your pardon?" said Xi, nonplussed.

"Kaun hai wahan?" Modi shouted in the direction of the door.

An Indian official walked in with a bunch of palm leaves bound as a book. On a nod from the Prime Minister, he handed it to Xi.

"That's the 1126 accord," Modi said.

Xi began to study the palm leaf inscriptions with an expression that changed from surprise to bewilderment and then to utter panic.

Modi said, "To cut the long story short, and the short story to a paragraph, it's this. It all began in year 1126 when King Vikramaditya-VI summoned up a humongous army to march across the Narmada river, the northern India, the Himalayas and into China up to Heilongjiang to conquer the whole damned place. Emperor Huizong, who then ruled China, was struck by horror. Fearing that Vikramaditya-VI would annex entire China, Huizong made an offer. He said the Indian king could take China up to Peking, leaving the provinces beyond Leaoning to him. The two emperors signed a pact to that effect in 1126, but, as fate would have it, Vikramaditya-VI soon passed away. Then all was forgotten, and the palm-leaf manuscript gathered dust for nine centuries. I found it under my pillow when I woke up the other day, left there by an anonymous patriot, no doubt."

Xi looked as if the chandelier above him had crashed on his head. He was unable to hide the fear in his eyes. Yet he tried, without success, to put on a brave front, as he asked: "And you expect the world to buy this 1126 historical poppycock?"

"Just the way you want the world to fall for your 1890 historical poppycock," Modi replied.

"You have anything to back this up?"

"Yes," Modi said, "our archaeologists have dug out a stone of the Maurya kingdom vintage dating back to 321 BC which shows-"

"Zúgòu, (enough)," shouted the Chinese President, as sweat began to appear on his puffed up face. "You aren't leaking any of this damned historical evidence to the media, are you?" he said with a quiver in his voice.

"No, I'll just tell Trump."

"Ah, leave alone Doka la," he said, "Trump can't find his own nose even if the White House aides hold a mirror before him."

"But," Modi explained, "Trump will put it on Twitter. He's got 33.7 million followers. I'll retweet it to my 31.5 million followers. Soon the whole world will get the stuff."

Xi raised a trembling hand. "Stop it," he pleaded.

With his face in hands, Xi fell silent for a few moments before he looked up and mumbled, as if to himself: "Things have gone a bit awry, have they not? I must find a way out of this."

Then the Chinese President's face illuminated as if a bulb inside his head had been switched on but no words came from his smiling lips for a long time.

'Xi!" Modi said.

"Ji," Xi sighed. "I do have an honourable-media will call it face-saving-way out of this face off, which will..."

At that point, Deep Throat heard the footsteps of approaching security guards. He fled from the window with the speed of a bullet. But he disclosed later that he suspects the Sikkim face-off will soon come to an anti-climax like a poorly-made Chinese romance movie.

Reporters pored over the photo to ferret out the "more than thousand" words that supposedly lurked behind the smiles of Modi and Xi, but they found none. Getty Images

This is a satirical piece. The author wrote a weekly satire column called True Lies in The Times of India from 1996 to 2001. He tweets at @sprasadindia

Published Date: Jul 13, 2017 06:33 am | Updated Date: Jul 13, 2017 06:33 am

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Some light stuff.

http://www.firstpost.com/india/get-...er-chinas-1890-accord-on-doka-la-3804149.html
Get this: Modi cited Vikramaditya era pact to counter China's 1890 Doka La accord

This was a tweet that Gopal Baglay, External Affairs Ministry spokesperson, put out after Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping had a quick, spur-of-the-moment meeting in Hamburg the other day. Baglay refused to elaborate on either the "range of things" they talked about or the success of the powwow.

A day later, he revealed to reporters, like a messiah delivering celestial wisdom to his apostles, that the picture that went with his tweet itself "speaks more than a thousand words". He was apparently referring to the smiles on the faces of Jinping and Modi.

More than a thousand words? Really?

Language aficionados say that it was the American magazine Printers Ink which had first used the expression "one look is worth a thousand words" in 1921, attributing it to a Japanese scholar. Six years later, the same magazine printed the line "one picture is worth ten thousand words" and said it was of Chinese origin. This led to speculation that it was Confucius who had first coined it and that led to the confusion.

Confucius is no longer in a fit condition to shed light — he died in 479 BC — on whether he had said thousand or ten thousand words. The clever Baglay played it safe with "more than a thousand". And this led to a whole lot of confusion too. Baglay's tweet became a conundrum, of a kind even the senior-most journalists covering the external affairs ministry had not encountered before.

Reporters pored over the photo to ferret out the "more than thousand" words that supposedly lurked behind the smiles of Modi and Xi, but they found none. Then they rushed to physiognomists, anthroposcopisgts and even metopomancists for help but to no avail.

But I was lucky. I found a source — I'll call him Deep Throat — who revealed to me what went on between Modi and Xi when they met in a side room with a large window overlooking a lawn in Hamburg. He told me the story — though only up to a point.

Deep Throat said he had crouched on the lawn and peeped into the open window and saw it all. This is what he said.

Once they had stepped into the room and dismissed their respective aides, Modi and Xi locked themselves in a tight embrace, like two brothers separated by a cruel villain finding each other at the end of a Bollywood movie.

"Xi," Modi said.

"Ji," Xi sighed.

Separating themselves from each other with great reluctance, they sat at the two ends of a long sofa. But soon the camaraderie disappeared like a candle light being blown. Their smiles were gone. For an entire minute, they scowled at each other in silence.

Modi was the first to break the silence. "Your boys must get the hell out of Doka la," he said with fire in his eyes.

Xi's retort was quick. "If anybody must get out of there, it's your kids," he said. "Doka la belongs to China."

"Applesauce and balderdash," Modi said, shaking his head in disgust and raising his voice. Doka la belongs to Bhutan, and India has a contract to save Bhutan from expansionist, hegemonic real-estate usurpers like China. And what basis do you have to make such an absurd claim that Doka la is part of China anyway?"

A file image of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping. Getty Images

"Why, of course, the 1890 agreement says it all," Xi said, looking surprised that Modi should even ask the question.

"But that accord," Modi said, "was signed by the Queen of England and Emperor Guanxu of China and, since then, circumstances have changed as unrecognisably as ape has changed into man in evolution. Your selective amnesia no doubt stops you from recalling that the so-called 1890 agreement was all about Sikkim and Tibet. Now, Sikkim is ours, and you claim Tibet is yours. Besides, Bhutan was never a party to it."

"But an accord is an accord is an accord," Xi insisted with a grimace.

A smile crossed Modi's face. "In which case," he declared, "I too have an accord that will beat the life out of all accords ever signed since Big Bang."

"I beg your pardon?" said Xi, nonplussed.

"Kaun hai wahan?" Modi shouted in the direction of the door.

An Indian official walked in with a bunch of palm leaves bound as a book. On a nod from the Prime Minister, he handed it to Xi.

"That's the 1126 accord," Modi said.

Xi began to study the palm leaf inscriptions with an expression that changed from surprise to bewilderment and then to utter panic.

Modi said, "To cut the long story short, and the short story to a paragraph, it's this. It all began in year 1126 when King Vikramaditya-VI summoned up a humongous army to march across the Narmada river, the northern India, the Himalayas and into China up to Heilongjiang to conquer the whole damned place. Emperor Huizong, who then ruled China, was struck by horror. Fearing that Vikramaditya-VI would annex entire China, Huizong made an offer. He said the Indian king could take China up to Peking, leaving the provinces beyond Leaoning to him. The two emperors signed a pact to that effect in 1126, but, as fate would have it, Vikramaditya-VI soon passed away. Then all was forgotten, and the palm-leaf manuscript gathered dust for nine centuries. I found it under my pillow when I woke up the other day, left there by an anonymous patriot, no doubt."

Xi looked as if the chandelier above him had crashed on his head. He was unable to hide the fear in his eyes. Yet he tried, without success, to put on a brave front, as he asked: "And you expect the world to buy this 1126 historical poppycock?"

"Just the way you want the world to fall for your 1890 historical poppycock," Modi replied.

"You have anything to back this up?"

"Yes," Modi said, "our archaeologists have dug out a stone of the Maurya kingdom vintage dating back to 321 BC which shows-"

"Zúgòu, (enough)," shouted the Chinese President, as sweat began to appear on his puffed up face. "You aren't leaking any of this damned historical evidence to the media, are you?" he said with a quiver in his voice.

"No, I'll just tell Trump."

"Ah, leave alone Doka la," he said, "Trump can't find his own nose even if the White House aides hold a mirror before him."

"But," Modi explained, "Trump will put it on Twitter. He's got 33.7 million followers. I'll retweet it to my 31.5 million followers. Soon the whole world will get the stuff."

Xi raised a trembling hand. "Stop it," he pleaded.

With his face in hands, Xi fell silent for a few moments before he looked up and mumbled, as if to himself: "Things have gone a bit awry, have they not? I must find a way out of this."

Then the Chinese President's face illuminated as if a bulb inside his head had been switched on but no words came from his smiling lips for a long time.

'Xi!" Modi said.

"Ji," Xi sighed. "I do have an honourable-media will call it face-saving-way out of this face off, which will..."

At that point, Deep Throat heard the footsteps of approaching security guards. He fled from the window with the speed of a bullet. But he disclosed later that he suspects the Sikkim face-off will soon come to an anti-climax like a poorly-made Chinese romance movie.

Reporters pored over the photo to ferret out the "more than thousand" words that supposedly lurked behind the smiles of Modi and Xi, but they found none. Getty Images

This is a satirical piece. The author wrote a weekly satire column called True Lies in The Times of India from 1996 to 2001. He tweets at @sprasadindia

Published Date: Jul 13, 2017 06:33 am | Updated Date: Jul 13, 2017 06:33 am
Lol! Good one! :laugh:

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Everybody is focused on what we have and what we don't have. Weapons alone do not win wars soldiers do. This may ease some concerns

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...operation-with-india/articleshow/59605440.cms

To boost defence ties with India, US house clears over $600 billion Bill
And the GoI has now sanctioned Rs 40,000 crores as emergency funds to be spent at the discretion of the Chief to procure much needed ammo, spares and weapons at the earliest to attain WWR (War Wastage Reserves) level to 20 days of intense fighting. (The target is 40 days WWR). This has come about after the Sino-India stand-off at Dokhlam and the perversions of the Pakis.

WARREN SS

Country flag
Problem is with army leadership they are to choosy rather satisfi what they have

NTW 20 or vidwanshak was decent weapon for long range Sniper role for intermediate term bu Army apparatus rejected that

BSF acquired it

There still few with army

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kunal Biswas Skirmishs at LOC, LAC & International Border Indian Army 13524
H OSINT compilation thread Knowledge Repository 54
Bornubus LOC, LAC & IB warfare Indian Army 2005
Martian LOC, LAC & IB skirmishs Indian Army 1958

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads