Light tanks for Indian Army

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
oh really , i have lived in ladhak for a year( because my father was posted there ,he is IA) ,the reason why we want light tanks so that logistics is not an issue as well as light tanks can be air dropped ,also the engines of MBT is not efficent because of thin air
You could not have lived for a year in Ladakh even if you father was the Corps Cdr. It is a non family station. You could only be there on a visit. If some families can be there for a year, I sure would love to know!

You lived there for a year? I lived there for two years and even before that another two years! Not because my father was there. It was because I wore the uniform! And both the times in positions of action, if you don't mind.

And I headed a study team in between for the IA.

So, really!

No borrowed feathers! The feathers were my own!

Since you are the expert, if the MBT engines malfunction because of thin air, how come the BMP or light tanks engines would be Formula One?

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
Hello Ray sir, for the sake of our knowledge please provide info. I am a civilian and have no clue. I recently got an offer to come to ladhak but was unlucky could not manage it.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
oh really , i have lived in ladhak for a year( because my father was posted there ,he is IA) ,the reason why we want light tanks so that logistics is not an issue as well as light tanks can be air dropped ,also the engines of MBT is not efficent because of thin air
DRDO already got that covered

Defence vehicles operate at varying altitudes ranging from sea level to about 5000 m in Himalayas. There is power loss in engine due to low oxygen content in air at high altitude. To compensate for this loss of power, Shaktiman engine was turbocharged and demonstrated to the users. Another necessity for enhancing power of existing UTD 20 (BMP-II) engine was felt for its use in higher GVW vehicles like ASPL (missile carrier cum launcher of 18.5 tonnes), AERV and Dozer. Power increase of up to 20 per cent has been obtained by turbocharging. Very recently, the existing 780 HP engine of T-72 tank has been successfully turbocharged to increase its power to 1100 HP.
Sourcehttp://www.drdo.org/pub/techfocus/jun98/combat.htm

IBRIS

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
BMP-3 for casualty evacuation, armored tactical mobility, direct and indirect fire support (100mm, 30mm or 7.62mm), anti-tank (ATGM), armored resupply, thermal imaging, etc.

The BMP-3 is, in effect, a light tank capable of transporting an infantry squad. Representing a complete departure from the previous BMP-1/2 designs, the BMP-3 mounts a 100mm cannon, 30mm cannon, a cannon launched anti-tank guided missile and a 7.62mm machine gun. In addition, the automotive characteristics have been improved, with the introduction of a 500 horsepower diesel engine, giving the 18 ton vehicle performance similar to the American Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle (IFV). The hull of the BMP-3 is more similar to the new BMD-3 airborne personnel carrier, with the low, flat turret mounted in the center of the hull. As with the BMP-1/2, the BMP-3 is fully amphibious, relying on two rear mounted water jets for propulsion. The BMP-3 also incorperates another two 7.62mm machine guns mounted in the bow of the hull.

BMP-3s mobility will come in handy in Arunachal Pradesh.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
IF there was one lighter main battle tank i would want the IA to have well it would be this, even though she doesn't fit in the IA's weight requirements.

CV90120 Tank has been developed to meet international demand for a lighter main battle tank.

It has similar fire power to current main battle tanks and is both cost-effective and gives superior tactical and strategic mobility. The CV90120 Tank fulfils these requirements and additionally provides outstanding survivability through an integrated modular Defensive Aid Suite (DAS) for today´s fragmented and multispectral battlefield.

CV90120 Tank fires all standard Nato 120 mm smooth bore ammunition and is equipped with state of the art technology, including an information technology network (VIS), improving operational capability. The modular Defensive Aid Suite (DAS), including Laser, Radar and Missile Approach warners, is installed.

Survivability is enhanced through the Multi-Specctral Aerosol (MSA), active countermeasure system and the top attack radar, identifying smart indirect munitions.

AJSINGH

You could not have lived for a year in Ladakh even if you father was the Corps Cdr. It is a non family station. You could only be there on a visit. If some families can be there for a year, I sure would love to know!

You lived there for a year? I lived there for two years and even before that another two years! Not because my father was there. It was because I wore the uniform! And both the times in positions of action, if you don't mind.

And I headed a study team in between for the IA.

So, really!

No borrowed feathers! The feathers were my own!

Since you are the expert, if the MBT engines malfunction because of thin air, how come the BMP or light tanks engines would be Formula One?
i need not explain why i was there for 1 year ( in leh) not the point of discussion here ,my point here is that light tanks being lighter and smaller in size when compared to MBT ,the engine load will be less ,hence more power ,also if drdo modifies the engine with turbocharges ,more power output
look here do not get mad at me ,if i am misinformed ,plz do correct me ,but plz try not to mock me ,my family both from my mother and father side have served in the indian armed forces ,have been action in 1965 and 1972 war , i respect all the ppl in armed forces including you ,i will continue my family legacy by joining NDA next year

so take it easy ,no offense

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
i need not explain why i was there for 1 year ( in leh) not the point of discussion here ,my point here is that light tanks being lighter and smaller in size when compared to MBT ,the engine load will be less ,hence more power ,also if drdo modifies the engine with turbocharges ,more power output
look here do not get mad at me ,if i am misinformed ,plz do correct me ,but plz try not to mock me ,my family both from my mother and father side have served in the indian armed forces ,have been action in 1965 and 1972 war , i respect all the ppl in armed forces including you ,i will continue my family legacy by joining NDA next year

so take it easy ,no offense
I am not mocking you.

I am also all Army, Navy and Airforce (RAF and decorated posthumous) with one Chief of the Army as a relative!

However, if you were in Ladakh for one year because of your father, then that is incorrect and not allowed by current army instructions. The problem is not your being there but if you were there, why are other families denied would be the question raised! There will be a hassle. In fact, in the newspapers there was a report that the J&K Govt is furious that the Army is using the Pangong Tso as a 'picnic spot' and not allowing tourists!

That said, you are yet to join the NDA. I had joined it years ago and retired. Two tenures in Kargil, both in operations. One a study of the various aspects of the Corps there. I could say more, but cannot.

Have you seen DBO and the other access routes from Chinese held Aksai Chin?

Done a tactical analysis?

Read my report with the Corps HQ.

Please do join the armed forces. I shall be proud of you!

AJSINGH

I am not mocking you.

I am also all Army, Navy and Airforce (RAF and decorated posthumous) with one Chief of the Army as a relative!

However, if you were in Ladakh for one year because of your father, then that is incorrect and not allowed by current army instructions. The problem is not your being there but if you were there, why are other families denied would be the question raised! There will be a hassle. In fact, in the newspapers there was a report that the J&K Govt is furious that the Army is using the Pangong Tso as a 'picnic spot' and not allowing tourists!

That said, you are yet to join the NDA. I had joined it years ago and retired. Two tenures in Kargil, both in operations. One a study of the various aspects of the Corps there. I could say more, but cannot.

Have you seen DBO and the other access routes from Chinese held Aksai Chin?

Done a tactical analysis?

Read my report with the Corps HQ.

Please do join the armed forces. I shall be proud of you!
for the record , i was in leh way back in 1998
probably the restrictions were relaxed then
the road infastructure in leh and various laddhak region is much more better than the north easrtern side,

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
For one year?

I was in the vicinity!

Families could come during a fixed period during except summer holiday time for children.

Anyway that's it from me since we are hijacking this thread and going OT.

sandeepdg

I still think that 155mm towed artillery is more suited for combat operations in hilly terrain like Ladakh and North East. Anyway, IFV are better than light tanks for ops at high altitude terrain considering their weight, world over light tanks are losing favor to modern IFVs mostl of which are armed with ATGMs like our own Abhay under development by DRDO.

M1A1Tanker

Think Tanks
Professional
If I may say so...

I have looked at all 7 pages of this discussion and I am finding that although the spirit of the discussion is there the subject of the discussion is far from target. I would like to point out that the tanks listed below were build as LIGHT TANKS...while many of the vehicles on the pages are either considered TANK DESTROYERS, INFANTRY FIGHTING VEHICLES, SCOUT CARS, ARMORED PERSONNEL CARRIERS (do not take my caps as anger I simply wanted to clear the titles). The vehicles below are in fact LIGHT TANKS.

They were designed for ease of use, inexpensive operation, and maximum fire power. In most cases you will find that the said vehicle is part of a family. The BMPT is not a light tank. It is a support vehicle and was designed for a specific role and that was to support armored and infantry units. Most wheeled vehicles with large bore guns on them are considered tank destroyers or Airborne Assault vehicles. In most cases many of these vehicles are based on the Cadillac Gage aremored car series from the early 60's.

If I may say, If you want to look at one of the first tanks in this field I would suggest looking at the Henschel TAM series which includes the TAM tank, The VCTP, The VCA, and the VCLC. This series has interchangable hulls, requires one set of parts for all the huls, is cost effective, each vehicle is under 35 tons, and each vehicle is easy to crew. That is the epitomy of a light tank.

View attachment 1397
The TAM with 105mm RM Gun

:tank:

Stingray II Light Tank

T-92 Light Tank

ASCOD 105 Light Tank

VFM 5 Light tank

CV 90120 Light Tank

(Images from Airbornecombatengineers.com, Army-Technology.net, Militaryphotos.net and military-today.com)

People, please remeber one thing, the main difference between a light tank and a IFV/APC is the presence of a large bore/caliber main gun. Please dont turn this into an IFV/APC thread.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Stryker mobile gun system

Stryker mobile gun system

The fact is Indian Army is interested in Stryker family and Stryker MGS is using the same gun used in IA T-55, 105mm L7 variant is capable of putting shells at 1700m capable ..

bhramos

Country flag
War on Wheels

Last edited by a moderator:

New threads

Articles