Light tanks for Indian Army

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
This may sound stupid but still it's a thought

China developed the Type 62 light tank as a scaled down version of the T-59 MBT; why don't we develop a scaled down version of the ARJUN or maybe get together with the Russians and develop a scaled down T-72, as of now the full size T-72 weighs 41000 kg,if some steel armor could be replaced with aluminium the weight could easily be brought down to 28-30 tonnes.

Sinjin

stryker with 105mm gun

I saw this stryker on discovery recently whilst being tested in Alaska - has a 105mm gun (similar to Abrams). It packs an almighty punch for a wheeled vehicle. Would be ideal for Indian requirements. My guess is this is what the IA may be angling for!

Defense Tech: New Stryker Sucking

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
One has to understand the scenario the light tanks are to be used. It is to be used for areas facing Tibet to defend India or if an offensive is planned, then on the Tibetan Plateau.

On the Chinese side, it being a Plateau, the Chinese will be using MBTs. Any light tank will be outgunned and shot into oblivion since it will not have adequate armour protection as it has to be a light tank.

Instead of buying sitting ducks which is only a morale boost, it is better to widen the roads and realign them so that MBTs can move up and can be located at those heights and be positioned to do their task.

sandeepdg

What do you mean by "tanks are just sitting ducks in face of an attack chopper in this kind of terrain"? AFAIK Indian army wants them for mountain areas or North and North-east border area, which is Himalaya. The choppers will be much more vulnerable in that terrain than in western desert because of the terrain. Because hills and mountains will provide much more natural cover, and the choppers would be much easier to hit by MANPADS. Also, the choppers would be carrying far less armament in that height.

Besides, the tanks that are required won't perform CAS role. It will stay and fight, and deny the enemy ground. The assault helicopters may cause havoc among enemy lines, but it can't stay and fight. And about the road infrastructure - that's why they are light tanks - they could be slow to reach to position, but they would. Just suppose in a scenario when the enemy also will face the same problem after crossing the front. There they would be far too deep into our territory to call in air-support or CAS support , as well their advance will be slower. And Indian troops can call in CAS support far readily than the enemy, so if the tanks take a stand and halt the enemy advance for even a little time. The enemy could be pinned down and could be given a heavy enough blow that enemy would rue their intrusion!

Indian Army is not an organization of fools, so when they decide to procure something they know they need that.
Firstly mate, tanks never perform CAS roles.... CAS requires aircrafts. Secondly, i know Indian Army is far more intelligent than u & me & i am not questioning their decision, its just a suggestion, they know very well how to do their job and i am not here to tell them anything.... Anyway, what i think is that howitzers are far more effective in inhospitable terrain than even light tanks, see how well the Bofors 155 mm guns performed in Kargil, they don't even need roads as they can be transported by heavy transport choppers right to the battlefields... i don't think there have any conflicts in which light tanks have been used in inhospitable mountainous terrains anywhere, especially the kind of terrain that exists in places like the LOC, or the Arunachal and Sikkim borders....

sandeepdg

Against Russian airbourne BMD-4, helicopters are the ones who are vulnerable. With a high elevation 30mm autocannon and lazer guided missiles, I would rather be in that in a fire dual with a medium class gunship. Airbourne vehicles can go anywhere, anytime, and cross any terrain. Whatever logistics you need can be airdropped.
the BMD-4 is an excellent weapon system..but i don't think its under the consideration of the IA.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
One has to understand the scenario the light tanks are to be used. It is to be used for areas facing Tibet to defend India or if an offensive is planned, then on the Tibetan Plateau.

On the Chinese side, it being a Plateau, the Chinese will be using MBTs. Any light tank will be outgunned and shot into oblivion since it will not have adequate armour protection as it has to be a light tank.

Instead of buying sitting ducks which is only a morale boost, it is better to widen the roads and realign them so that MBTs can move up and can be located at those heights and be positioned to do their task.
Sir what about the Pakistan front. Any application there for light tanks esp in the Kashmir area?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Light tanks is a bogus Idea for a war. It is OK for COIN.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
So can we expect that the IA will get some light tanks for COIN?

venom

DFI Technocrat
MBT....are u dreaming, The Topography of the area is such tat even light tanks wont be able to operate effectively but it is good to have something rather than nothing.Light tanks wont be used to climb over the mountains their role is to provide support to infantry soldiers in order to help them fight the chinese.

THE ONLY WAY A MBT CAN PENETRATE CHINA IS BY "AIRDROP''.....

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
If you read the Brigadiers post, he talks about making wider roads and aligning them in a manner that allows us to get MBTs there. Coming from a person who has been there, done that, I think its better to discuss his point of view.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
MBT....are u dreaming, The Topography of the area is such tat even light tanks wont be able to operate effectively but it is good to have something rather than nothing.Light tanks wont be used to climb over the mountains their role is to provide support to infantry soldiers in order to help them fight the chinese.

THE ONLY WAY A MBT CAN PENETRATE CHINA IS BY "AIRDROP''.....
Seen the Tibetan Plateau?

No dreams as far as I am concerned.

AJSINGH

^^^ i have seen ladhak ,it is rathers a flat land with ofcourse mountains but large valleys ,and roads infastracture is quite okay , light tanks are needed also attack helicopters . bringing MBT would be an issue

AJSINGH

2S25 Sprut-SD

Despite that the 2S25 Sprut-SD is referred by Russians as the self-propelled anti-tank gun or tank destroyer, it is a light tank by it's function. The Sprut-SD was designed for the airborne forces and naval infantry. It can be seen as a replacement for the out-dated PT-76 light tank. The 2S25 Sprut-SD has firepower comparable with modern MBTs and outperforms light tanks and tank destroyers in these terms. Some sources claim that 50 to 75 Spruts are due to be delivered to Russian airborne units.

Protection of the Sprut-SD has a very limited. It's front arc provides protection against 12.7-mm rounds. All-round protection is against small-arms fire and artillery shell splinters only. Despite that protection can be increased with add-on armor and various countermeasures system. Vehicle is fitted with an NBC protection and automatic fire extinguishing systems.

The Sprut-SD is armed with a fully-stabilized 125-mm smoothbore gun, fitted with an autoloader. This gun is also used to launch anti-tank guided missies in the same manner as ordinary projectiles. This feature is common to all modern Russian MBTs. Laser-guided anti-tank missiles has a range of effective fire of up to 5 km. Missiles can also be used against low-flying helicopters. A total of 40 rounds including missiles are carried for the main gun. An autoloader holds 22 of them. The 2s25 Sprut SD has a rate of fire of 7 rounds per minute. Vehicle is fitted with a modern fire control system.

Secondary armament consists of a single coaxial 7.62-mm machine gun.

Vehicle has a crew of three, including commander, gunner and driver.

The 2S25 Sprut-SD uses modified chassis of the BMD-3 airborne combat vehicle. It is powered by a 2V-06-2S diesel engine, developing 510 horsepower. Vehicle has an adjustable ground clearance. The Sprut-SD is fully amphibious and can be airdropped with the crew on board the vehicle. On water it is propelled by two waterjets. Vehicle is sea worthy up to Sea State 3. It can also fire from the main gun in limited traverse range when afloat.

2S25 Sprut-SD Light Tank | Military-Today.com

good option for tracked light tanks requirment for IA

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
^^^ i have seen ladhak ,it is rathers a flat land with ofcourse mountains but large valleys ,and roads infastracture is quite okay , light tanks are needed also attack helicopters . bringing MBT would be an issue
It shows you have not seen Ladakh.

What you have not seen are the Armour out there already.

If there are large valleys as you claim, why have light tanks and not MBTs?

Any answer?

AJSINGH

It shows you have not seen Ladakh.

What you have not seen are the Armour out there already.

If there are large valleys as you claim, why have light tanks and not MBTs?

Any answer?
oh really , i have lived in ladhak for a year( because my father was posted there ,he is IA) ,the reason why we want light tanks so that logistics is not an issue as well as light tanks can be air dropped ,also the engines of MBT is not efficent because of thin air

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles