LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

MirageBlue

Country flag
It does eat up a valuable missile pylon. Tejas with a hammer will carry on only 1 R-77 because the fuckers didn't bother rating the mid-board pylons at be CCM capable (maybe Python-5 will work as it's internally similar to Derby)

This layout is another option that has been used elsewhere.

View attachment 220133
Tejas won't carry any R-77 because they aren't integrated with the type.

The Tejas Mk1A will carry 2 X ASRAAM on one dual rack outboard pylon and 1 X ASPJ on the other outboard pylon. Center pylons could carry 2 X Astra Mk1. Inboard pylons could carry 2 X AASM Hammers and 1 centerline drop tank.

vin bharat mahan

Kumaoni, Uttarakhand
Country flag
Tejas won't carry any R-77 because they aren't integrated with the type.

The Tejas Mk1A will carry 2 X ASRAAM on one dual rack outboard pylon and 1 X ASPJ on the other outboard pylon. Center pylons could carry 2 X Astra Mk1. Inboard pylons could carry 2 X AASM Hammers and 1 centerline drop tank.
can we carry dual pylon on inboard pylons, where u suggesting hammers??....for CAP nd air fight we dont need hammers. if we can put 2 bvr like astra 2 or 4 bvr with help of dual pylon in inboard pylon. that make tejas to carry 6 BVR/WVR or 8 BVR/WVR missiles.

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
can we carry dual pylon on inboard pylons, where u suggesting hammers??....for CAP nd air fight we dont need hammers. if we can put 2 bvr like astra 2 or 4 bvr with help of dual pylon in inboard pylon. that make tejas to carry 6 BVR/WVR or 8 BVR/WVR missiles.
Inboard pylons are for drop tanks. Mk1 has a low combat range without them.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
The Tejas Mk1A will carry 2 X ASRAAM on one dual rack outboard pylon and 1 X ASPJ on the other outboard pylon.
Yes it's... odd.

Why don't we use tail-tip jammer pod like normal people?

Picard

Country flag
Yes it's... odd.

Integrated jammers have various locations on various aircraft. Typhoon has them in wingtip pods, Rafale's jammer antennas are at hull in front of canards and at tail base above the nozzles, Gripen E has them in wingtip and tail-tip pods.

So if Tejas is to receive integrated jammers, there are options. As for why Tejas has no integrated jammer... well, they probably just didn't think of it. F-15, F-16 and F-18 originally had no integrated EW suite or even just self-protection jammer, and I think many teen-series fighters still don't have such capabilities, though I might be mistaken there.

NutCracker

Country flag
Not on the Tejas Mk1A. I believe there simply isn't enough clearance, but we haven't seen any concept design of a twin rack for Astra Mk1 on the center pylons.
Yeah clearance is an issue , though I have seen some |- shaped twin rack pylons on modern jet .
Couldn't find that latest pic, But here is that concept on old jets.
Hopefully they make something for center. carrying only one 200kg BVR It would be waste of that 800kg capable pylon.
1693401917021.png

omaebakabaka

Yes it's... odd.

For our mission profiles, this may be satisfactory and more cost effective as its rare that full loads are carried outside CAS role aircraft in general?

standard snowball

Country flag
I have some questions for you guys
1. What is the fuel capacity of Tejas. (If possible please do provide your sources)

2. What is it's combat radius

3. Is there any way we can calculate the range of an aircraft based on its fuel capacity, weight of the aircraft, lift to drag ratio and SFC of the engine.

4. Has the fuel capacity been increased in the mk1a variant.

5. Also do any of you have a wiki account, to correct the Tejas data on Wikipedia

Blademaster

1. What is the fuel capacity of Tejas. (If possible please do provide your sources)

3. Is there any way we can calculate the range of an aircraft based on its fuel capacity, weight of the aircraft, lift to drag ratio and SFC of the engine.

5. Also do any of you have a wiki account, to correct the Tejas data on Wikipedia
And how it compares to F-16 and Gripen with similar payloads and fuel reserves, etc.

NutCracker

Country flag

And how it compares to F-16 and Gripen with similar payloads and fuel reserves, etc.
1.Internal caapcity 2500KG
4.No change in Mk1a

2.Combat range 30-40% of its ferry range 3000+km, i.e. 900 km with 3 drop tanks (800+800+500). With 2 ASRAAM + 2 Astra BVR (4 possible in future) + ASPJ.
Still agile in this configuration. Not fully loaded.

3.Nope , too much calculation.

5. There isn't much to correct.

6. Not comparable to F16 or GripenE.
+-10% Comparable to Gripen C.

Last edited:

standard snowball

Country flag
1.Internal caapcity 2500KG
4.No change in Mk1a

2.Combat range 30-40% of its ferry range 3000+km, i.e. 900 km with 3 drop tanks (800+800+500). With 2 ASRAAM + 2 Astra BVR (4 possible in future) + ASPJ.
Still agile in this configuration. Not fully loaded.

3.Nope , too much calculation.

5. There isn't much to correct.

6. Not comparable to F16 or GripenE.
+-10% Comparable to Gripen C.
I heard from some Twitter account and even alpha defence about some ballast weight being removed by rearranging LRU's and how mk1a will have slightly more fuel capacity as some modifications were made in the fuel system.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles