LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Roland55

Country flag
Elta ELM-8222 is used by majority of IAF jets as personal EW/Jammer. Mk1 can carry it, so can Mig-21.
If we mount the jammer on Tejas Mk1’s hardpoints, it can still carry 6 missiles, while Mig-21 can carry only 3. So a clear edge in A2A/BVR combat.

Tejas Mk1A will be integrated with Uttam AESA radar which has in-built EW capability according to its brochure.
The range on the Bison is also smaller, but ill say its hands down to the R-77, a missile that i dont understand why it wasn't integrated into Tejas (Derby and ASTRA should be more than enough tho)

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Afaik bvr engagement has nothing to do with EW systems ( internal or external ) directly
Oh no no nono noononono.that's the biggest role of EW
Egypt is buying more Rafales because it's Spectra jammed Su-35s radars completely in their own exercise, 100% kill rate. If Abhi had a jammer he wouldn't be shot down (or less easily).

As a so-called smart missile is not actually smart & it has an algorithm and follows that direction, that moment it can be spoofed if you have EW, otherwise you'll have to depend on your RWR to do evasive maneuvers & be on defensive instead of keeping the initiative.

The range on the Bison is also smaller, but ill say its hands down to the R-77, a missile that i dont understand why it wasn't integrated into Tejas (Derby and ASTRA should be more than enough tho)
R-77 isn't well liked in Indian Air Force. We're replacing it with Astra in both Sukhois & Migs too. Not to be integrated to Tejas.

THESIS THORON

Country flag
We do all know for sure Abhinandans communication was blocked. Was his Mig21 not carrying the EW in an forward base? If it was not, then how many units IAF has? If IAF cannot spare suites for forward bases, how many Tejas will have?
the comms were jammed because at that time bison was not carrying any sdr (software defined radio).

Tang

Country flag
Read it somewhere
Russian refused to integrate R77 with Tejas, BVR missiles need radar communication for course correction.
We will have better BVR in Tejas via AstraMK1 and other missiles like python and Derby which are already integrated with it

Roland55

Country flag
Read it somewhere
Russian refused to integrate R77 with Tejas, BVR missiles need radar communication for course correction.
We will have better BVR in Tejas via AstraMK1 and other missiles like python and Derby which are already integrated with it
I remember reading the same (possibly in some article or even here), Still Derby or ASTRA are perfect candidates, with the latter being possibly the better choice (Regular Astra+IR)

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Their was a pricing issue regarding Russian assistance for integrating Russian weapons like R-77 and R-73.
Negotiation failed between Rosoboronexport/Russian team and Indian team (DRDO/ADA team) repeatedly.
Even R-73 integrated without the involvement of the Russians (which caused delays).
Derby-I is believed to much better than R-77 and Rafael is providing much better support.
As for R-77, Astra Mk. 1 uses same seeker and its integration is much simpler.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
That area will house landing parachutes. Honestly speaking i've always wanted a tail jammer in that position just like Rafale. Even in the Mk2 that area will house parachutes
SPJ are always placed at an elevated position on vertical stabilizer as it provides a better field view and less obstruction.

abingdonboy

Country flag
When was the last time HAL handed over a SP to the IAF? we know they are stockpiling them at HAL but even first flights have been few lately although they look on track to meet all their 2022/23/24 deadlines in terms of production. Handing over to the IAF seems like it’s the bottleneck

Whitecollar

Country flag
When was the last time HAL handed over a SP to the IAF? we know they are stockpiling them at HAL but even first flights have been few lately although they look on track to meet all their 2022/23/24 deadlines in terms of production. Handing over to the IAF seems like it’s the bottleneck
As somebody here said, they may be undergoing modifications for integrating Astra MK1. Once done and tested, they maybe handed over in bulk.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Based on response given by the Minister in Parliament, IAF has 8 FOC aircrafts. And total of 24 Tejas.
So I believe IAF has taken delivery of these birds and maybe some IOC has moved over to forward base temporarily. HAL has promised to deliver remaining 8 by April- May 2022. HAL already has started to build 2 trainers and they are on jig.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles