LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Jo IAF ke officers chahenge wo ho jaayega, bas defence secretary aur jo committe hai acquisition wali uska IAS chairman, favour me hona chahiye.
Ya'll Nibbiars kiske dalals ya hamare?.

Tang

Country flag
View attachment 126026

Most overseas items are from Europe, particularly France. Minimal from USA apart from engine. Which makes me want to reiterate my statement that the LCA in its current form is a Mini Mirage 2000++. And that's a good thing. Also, our aircraft design philosophy is very French.
Better than Mirage2000, Although MK1 has lower payload.

daya

Country flag
Ghass ki katai tak me commission chalta hai aur khoob chalta hai..20 majdoor theke par dikhte hain lekin asal me 10 bhi nahi hote... kis kis ko roiye... har jagah ek hi raag hai commission aur sirf commission. Corruption ki machine itni achchhi chalti hai ki kya bataya jaaye... agar usme koi achchha purza aa jayega to machine usko khud hi tod kar ya nikaal kar fenk degi. saare corrupt ek dusre ki madad karte hain aur bacha le jaate hain, lekin ek imaandar dusre imaandar ki madad nahi karta, wo apne liye imaandar maankar hi khush ho jaata hai..

TEJAS development naturally depends upon IAF. If IAF doesn't come forward for TEJAS, this magnificient machine will survive no longer.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
didn't compare su30 with jf17 mate. gave an stat countering your "jf17 1 2 ki quantity tejas mk1 se zaada hai toh uska advantage milega". we don't need to worry and we have to pump up tejas production.
ek chiz ki argument hai toh uspe reh. i didn't said anything about quantity earlier. single aircraft vs single aircraft. fair comparison kar.
just because jf 17 can fire a bvr doesn't mean it's better than tejas. bhot factors hote hai.
I.would be very happy to stand corrected if I had compared JF17 to Su or Migs. I just pored over my response. I couldn't.

Another thing. I don't speak Hindi.

Whitecollar

Country flag
Ghass ki katai tak me commission chalta hai aur khoob chalta hai..20 majdoor theke par dikhte hain lekin asal me 10 bhi nahi hote... kis kis ko roiye... har jagah ek hi raag hai commission aur sirf commission. Corruption ki machine itni achchhi chalti hai ki kya bataya jaaye... agar usme koi achchha purza aa jayega to machine usko khud hi tod kar ya nikaal kar fenk degi. saare corrupt ek dusre ki madad karte hain aur bacha le jaate hain, lekin ek imaandar dusre imaandar ki madad nahi karta, wo apne liye imaandar maankar hi khush ho jaata hai..

TEJAS development naturally depends upon IAF. If IAF doesn't come forward for TEJAS, this magnificient machine will survive no longer.
Kuch to gadbad hai Daya...pata lagao😜

Whitecollar

Country flag
Is it true that nose cone dia of MK2 is lesser compared to MK1? If so, how will Uttam's TRTM be increased overall?

tsunami

Country flag
Is it true that nose cone dia of MK2 is lesser compared to MK1? If so, how will Uttam's TRTM be increased overall?
Not an expert here... But what I understood by reading here is that new TR size on Uttam-2 is much smaller the current one. So overall radar size will be smaller than Uttam-1 even if it have more TR modules.
So you can place the radar further towards end of the nose. And the extra space can be used for IRST.
Experts can correct me if I am wrong.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
If requirements are laid out by IAF and met by HAL, how can IAF decline the aircraft that meets the requirement? GOI finances the development and testing of an aircraft that meets requirements then writes off its investment because IAF has changed its mind? Seriously? That is squandering the defence budget.
IAF never laid down the requirement for Mk. 2
From IAF point of view, they are not squandering the defense budget but stopping wastage of funds on platform they don't require.. If something doesn't meet their requirement their requirement they have problem rejecting it.

The development of Tejas Mark 2 was initiated to address all the shortcomings in Tejas Mark 1 and Mark 1A, and to meet the original Air Staff Requirements set out for the LCA programmer by the IAF.
From IAF's point of view these all requirement had to be fulfilled in Mk1 or Mk1 A.

Even if we disregard everything else the projected data of introduction is 2026 and induction will happen along 2028-2030. IAF has reservation against these dates as they are expected to co-inside with AMCA.

MonaLazy

From IAF point of view, they are not squandering the defense budget but stopping wastage of funds on platform they don't require.. If something doesn't meet their requirement their requirement they have problem rejecting it.

The development of Tejas Mark 2 was initiated to address all the shortcomings in Tejas Mark 1 and Mark 1A, and to meet the original Air Staff Requirements set out for the LCA programmer by the IAF.
From IAF's point of view these all requirement had to be fulfilled in Mk1 or Mk1 A.

Even if we disregard everything else the projected data of introduction is 2026 and induction will happen along 2028-2030. IAF has reservation against these dates as they are expected to co-inside with AMCA.
ASQR fulfilled or not, there is a need for a 4.5 gen fighter otherwise IAF wouldn't be fighting for MRFA tooth and nail. It's not like ADA is toiling for nothing.

So basically IAF is saying it is bad to spend $5-6B in house on an unproven plane from a partner (ADA/HAL) with a sketchy track record.

But it is ok to splurge $25-30B on Rafale since it is proven and in service and comes from the house of Dassault Aviation.

Wonder why the French AF wasn't as smart when they were pursuing Rafale and American alternatives were on offer. Also looking forward, ADA cannot be trusted with 4.5gen Mk2, but we trust them to deliver the 5.5gen AMCA? Or is IAF playing it by the ear? Let's skittle Mk2 today, repeat with AMCA in 2030. Devilish laughter ensues.

Whitecollar

Country flag
ASQR fulfilled or not, there is a need for a 4.5 gen fighter otherwise IAF wouldn't be fighting for MRFA tooth and nail. It's not like ADA is toiling for nothing.

So basically IAF is saying it is bad to spend $5-6B in house on an unproven plane from a partner (ADA/HAL) with a sketchy track record.

But it is ok to splurge $25-30B on Rafale since it is proven and in service and comes from the house of Dassault Aviation.

Wonder why the French AF wasn't as smart when they were pursuing Rafale and American alternatives were on offer. Also looking forward, ADA cannot be trusted with 4.5gen Mk2, but we trust them to deliver the 5.5gen AMCA? Or is IAF playing it by the ear? Let's skittle Mk2 today, repeat with AMCA in 2030. Devilish laughter ensues.
This further proves the point that IAF isn't interested in MK2. With just 123 LCAs ordered yet, will it alone solve the depleting squardron issue especially when you need to retire entire squardron of Mig 21, then Mig 29 and M2000 within this decade??
IAF also never gave us any plan B that is if MMCRA is quashed, what action will they take. Even if 36 more Rafales are ordered and MMCRA gets thrown away, you're still in a much worse position as LCAs cannot really cut for medium weight M2000s or Mig 29s. When ORCA was brought on table(could be common to TEDBF in design), again IAF was not interested.

Ab kya aliens aa k apne space ships denge inko?

IndianHawk

Country flag
Good article about malasiya fighter jet requirements.

Supersonic speed and air to air refueling are essential along with bvr capability.

So tejas is obviously a favourite.

Let's see how politics and economics affects the whole thing.

Tang

Country flag

False

IndianHawk

Country flag
This further proves the point that IAF isn't interested in MK2. With just 123 LCAs ordered yet, will it alone solve the depleting squardron issue especially when you need to retire entire squardron of Mig 21, then Mig 29 and M2000 within this decade??
IAF also never gave us any plan B that is if MMCRA is quashed, what action will they take. Even if 36 more Rafales are ordered and MMCRA gets thrown away, you're still in a much worse position as LCAs cannot really cut for medium weight M2000s or Mig 29s. When ORCA was brought on table(could be common to TEDBF in design), again IAF was not interested.

Ab kya aliens aa k apne space ships denge inko?
Mk2 is already an approved project with funding released to build prototypes.

Let's rest the speculations . It is coming .

cannonfodder

Country flag
Without MK2, AMCA may be rough ride IMO with Tier 1/2 supply chain getting not matured enough and other tech not getting proven on MK2.

Between I saw some updates regarding safran in discussion for AMCA engine. But I am getting nervous as I had seen some discussion with Rolls royce before. Is MoD cooking khichdi of engines:confused1:?

MonaLazy

Between I saw some updates regarding safran in discussion for AMCA engine. But I am getting nervous as I had seen some discussion with Rolls royce before. Is MoD cooking khichdi of engines:confused1:?
Given that it was announced without the deserved fanfare - India breaking her turbojet chains should be a seminal event in her history. It does look like a smoke screen to extract concessions from RR or GE- esp as the JV race isn't over yet. Safran may be doing just helicopter engines (Aneto-1K).

RR meanwhile has stitched up a turbojet partnership with Japan for their next generation effort. They must offer something substantial (adaptive engine?) otherwise why would Japan need the British at all after XF-9 (1,800℃ class with a 180kW starter generator)? Maybe India is negotiating adaptive tech with RR for a reasonable sum. RR must be trying to palm off EJ200 level tech (0.5-1 generation behind state of the art) for the Indian JV. All speculation, but kind of makes sense. We'll know hopefully by defexpo '22 who won.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles