LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
i think people are confused between block 1 and 2 which were junk. block 3 for it's price and features, it's fine.
Yea in that case , they have 100 B1 and 2 while we are having only 22-24 in the last count. And our IOC can't fire BVR yet. They probably need an software updates I would say.

As far as I concerned or anyone in that matter.is, it can fly, it is bad that even Chinese haven't got one but manufactures 50% of the fuselage along with all the avionics. What Pakistan does is the wings, wirings, paint and do test flights. Quantity has a quality of its own.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Yea in that case , they have 100 B1 and 2 while we are having only 22-24 in the last count. And our IOC can't fire BVR yet. They probably need an software updates I would say.

As far as I concerned or anyone in that matter.is, it can fly, it is bad that even Chinese haven't got one but manufactures 50% of the fuselage along with all the avionics. What Pakistan does is the wings, wirings, paint and do test flights. Quantity has a quality of its own.
More than half of porky airforce can't fire any bvr. Only f16 and some jf17 can do that. Rest of there fleet of f7 , mirage 3-5 almost 300 jets can't fire bvr.

Meanwhile entire IAF can do that even jaguars are getting Derby.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Glad to hear MK2 is not dead yet, at least as per HAL.
Yes I am glad to hear that and Mk2 will never be dead and that's a fact!
Because it's an important Project for Indian Aerospace Sector because it will be used to replace Aircrafts like Mirage 2000s, Mikoyan MIG 29 etc.
Also the knowledge which will be Gained in this project will be very important in the coming years to come for future projects like AMCA etc.

MonaLazy

@Hariharan_kalarikkal
Yes that's possible if they will ramp up the Production speed to that much (the Quantity you suggested)
Moreover indian Airforce is not really worried about the Delivery Date but more worried with regards to the per unit Cost of the Aircraft. If Indian airforce asks HAL to ramp up the Production than in doing so the Cost of per unit Aircraft will increase and it will become more expensive.
View attachment 125281
Ramp up production = lower costs. Atleast that's how the F35 program goes. Mostly because of economies of scale, placing bulk orders reduces cost.

Super Flanker

Ramp up production = lower costs. Atleast that's how the F35 program goes. Mostly because of economies of scale, placing bulk orders reduces cost.
Yes I am aware of that. More production-lesser the cost of something 🙂

MonaLazy

If Indian airforce asks HAL to ramp up the Production than in doing so the Cost of per unit Aircraft will increase and it will become more expensive.
Yes I am aware of that. More production-lesser the cost of something 🙂
How can both be true at the same time sir? I wonder. :laugh:

Setting up a single mega factory also simplifies logistics and management. You build capacity for the future Mk2 and also place the capability from serial produced aircrafts in IAFs hands much earlier.

Last edited:

Super Flanker

Setting up a single mega factory also simplifies logistics and management. You build capacity for the future Mk2 and also place the capability from serial produced aircrafts in the IAFs hands much earlier.
Ok bro😁

Super Flanker

Setting up a single mega factory also simplifies logistics and management. You build capacity for the future Mk2 and also place the capability from serial produced aircrafts in the IAFs hands much earlier.
Guess I was not aware of it first. I remember reading somewhere that more production speed will result in more expensive unit cost. I guess some idiot wrote that.:tongue::tongue::tongue2::yo:

MonaLazy

Guess I was not aware of it first. I remember reading somewhere that more production speed will result in more expensive unit cost. I guess some idiot wrote that.:tongue::tongue::tongue2::yo:
No one's an idiot. Am sure he had his own reasons- as you also need to acquire land, invest in more tooling and jigs. All of which costs lot of money even before the first aircraft starts construction. But over time these costs are ameliorated, you can cater to export orders. But to have flex manufacturing you need to be able to hire and fire at will- contractual labour which has its own problems in India.

Production over capacity is a bane too. What if there are no exports? What if you can't fire people? Strong trade unionism? You have to somehow get it just right.

Super Flanker

No one's an idiot. Am sure he had his own reasons- as you also need to acquire land, invest in more tooling and jigs. All of which costs lot of money even before the first aircraft starts construction. But over time these costs are ameliorated, you can cater to export orders. But to have flex manufacturing you need to be able to hire and fire at will- contractual labour which has its own problems in India.

Production over capacity is a bane too. What if there are no exports? What if you can't fire people? Strong trade unionism? You have to somehow get it just right.
Yes

Trololo

Country flag
1639705751161.png

Most overseas items are from Europe, particularly France. Minimal from USA apart from engine. Which makes me want to reiterate my statement that the LCA in its current form is a Mini Mirage 2000++. And that's a good thing. Also, our aircraft design philosophy is very French.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
But the fact remains HAL doesn't decide anything. Its the customer in this IAF that would decide if wants to buy Tejas Mk. 2
IAF may not get their wish this time. Not to mention that if HAL conveys that MK2 is ready and very much within the committed timeline to the political leadership, chances are that the funds for foreign jets (that will also take around 4-5 years to join IAF at the earliest) will be diverted for Mk2. Don't think that Ninda Turtle will allow the 99 engine order to go waste from GE.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles