LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Now DFI is tweeting some rumours?

I think LCA has proved that propaganda against anything with out truth will disappears when truth emerges.

Satyameva Jayate, I think founding fathers if India were right when they adopted this Sanskrit slogan.
Ya'll Nibbiars said on record. @Okabe Rintarou.

And it was about managerial ownerships which IAF never took at that points.

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Continued...
Continued here, can't have more than 5 in one post 🙄

Slow speed pass (not this time, lol)

Climb & Split-S (doesn't quite match)

Vertical turn (Mirage-2000 starts stronger, but Tejas catches up)
Horizontal turn (Tejas again starts slower, but soundly outturns Mirage-2000... still taking 21sec tho, not that impressive here).

Last edited:

Rohan Naik

Country flag
Continued...

Vertical turn (Mirage-2000 starts stronger, but Tejas ends 1st)

Horizontal turn (Tejas again starts slower, but soundly outturns Mirage-2000... still taking 21sec tho, not that impressive here).
When are we getting Mirage 2000 from UAE, there were some plans? Right?

Tang

Country flag
I highly doubt that Tejas can be Exported to Argentina, Tejas currently uses many Crucial components of British orgin such as Radome , Ejection seat ,Refuelling Probe etc. UK doesn't have good relationship with Argentina and UK has imposed an Armes Embargo in Argentina, and hence we can't Export tejas to Argentina
because currently uses many Crucial components of British orgin such as Radome , Ejection seat , Refuelling Probe etc. If we try to replace and put a new ejection seat ,it will take time to test it ,and Integrate it , this aplies to other systems in tejas of British orgin. So I don't think so it is economically feasible to Export it to Argentina. Also we might Spoil our relationship with UK in some ways.
HAL already offered to replace 50 British origin parts for Argentina

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Banned
HAL already offered to replace 50 British origin parts for Argentina
Let's see what happens, if we get the order from Argentina, than it will be a success! But I feel like countries like Malaysia, Egypt are top contenders for being Export customers of LCA Tejas. Let's hope for the best.
iaf2.jpg

Trololo

Country flag
Let's see what happens, if we get the order from Argentina, than it will be a success! But I feel like countries like Malaysia, Egypt are top contenders for being Export customers of LCA Tejas. Let's hope for the best.
View attachment 120680
We should sign them on as customers for the LCA Mk2 as soon as prototype is rolled out. And preferably take some development costs from them in the process as well. In return we can customise the plane exactly as they want with any mix of Indian, western, and Russian kit.
From the Indian basket of goods what is missing is a domestic equivalent of the Litening 5 LDP, along with a towed decoy system.

Super Flanker

Banned
We should sign them on as customers for the LCA Mk2 as soon as prototype is rolled out. And preferably take some development costs from them in the process as well. In return we can customise the plane exactly as they want with any mix of Indian, western, and Russian kit.
From the Indian basket of goods what is missing is a domestic equivalent of the Litening 5 LDP, along with a towed decoy system.
Good point,I agree with you. I feel like tejas mk1a and Tejas mk 2 are the variants of Tejas which will have high Export Potential to be honest. I am not sure if any country will want to fund our programs to some degree but maybe there is a possibility.
Tejas has an advantage in which Weopons of multi origin can be Integrated in the Aircraft.
I feel like we should use an Indigenous radar
(UTTAM AESA RADAR will soon be coming) , Indigenous Weopons such as SAAW , Astra missiles ,as Export. Let's hope for the best. Tejas has lots of potential in it.

Trololo

Country flag
Good point,I agree with you. I feel like tejas mk1a and Tejas mk 2 are the variants of Tejas which will have high Export Potential to be honest. I am not sure if any country will want to fund our programs to some degree but maybe there is a possibility.
Tejas has an advantage in which Weopons of multi origin can be Integrated in the Aircraft.
I feel like we should use an Indigenous radar
(UTTAM AESA RADAR will soon be coming) , Indigenous Weopons such as SAAW , Astra missiles ,as Export. Let's hope for the best. Tejas has lots of potential in it.
Sell 3 squadrons of the LCA Mk2 with all the bells and whistles to Vietnam and watch the Chinese burn. I had written a long ass post somewhere on this forum where I mentioned that we are approaching US-Russia-China level as a country where we make all our platforms, munitions, and electronics at home. This will allow us to sell packages of stuff. A sample package for a small Air Force can be:
1> 3 MWF squadrons.
2> Weapons as per customer choice.
3> 4 Netra AEW.
4> Military sat package (comms, observation, ELINT, etc as per customer choice)
5> QRSam, Akash Sam, and XR-Sam based layered AD system along with all associated radars, software, and networking equipment.
6> Drones in the form of Rustom-2 and Rustom-1 for multiple roles.

Purchase will of course be in phases, but point is everything is made in house. We just need our own wide body and narrow body jets for the aew, awacs, tankers, MPA, and other such roles.

Super Flanker

Banned
Sell 3 squadrons of the LCA Mk2 with all the bells and whistles to Vietnam and watch the Chinese burn. I had written a long ass post somewhere on this forum where I mentioned that we are approaching US-Russia-China level as a country where we make all our platforms, munitions, and electronics at home. This will allow us to sell packages of stuff. A sample package for a small Air Force can be:
1> 3 MWF squadrons.
3> 4 Netra AEW.
5> QRSam, Akash Sam, and XR-Sam based layered AD system along with all associated radars, software, and networking equipment.

Purchase will of course be in phases, but point is everything is made in house. We just need our own wide body and narrow body jets for the aew, awacs, tankers, MPA, and other such roles.
Ok buddy! I like your thinking!

scatterStorm

Country flag
IMHO for orders to come, first its has to prove itself in the battlespace. A good way would be to move the FOC squadron to NE and NW fronts. I hate to break this, it could be in the next two to three years, but it has to prove itself first.

We now know that Mirage2000, Mig29, SU30MKI have very well seen combat deployments. Tejas has to see some to prove its worth. The move to integrate Hammer SOGM as emergency purchase shows, that it will soon see its FOC variants in full combat deployments.

Super Flanker

Banned
1> 3 MWF squadrons.
3> 4 Netra AEW.

Yes ,I mentioned earlier that potential clients will want to buy tejas mk 2 and MK1a. These are the most viable variants for Export. We are slowly starting to Match countries like Russia, France, UK, United States of America , China in terms of Defence production and Development inhouse. We can generate a lot of revenue by Exporting Different Weopon systems like missiles, Aircrafts, helicopters , ships etc. This will be very good for our economy and it will grow.
For a small Airforce like Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines etc.
1) we should sell 3 squadrons of tejas mk 2 or 4 squadrons of tejas mk1a Variant. Or we could sell 2 squadrons of Tejas mk 2 or 3 squadrons of Tejas mk1a ( everything can be done upon the request by the customers)
2) regarding NETRA , if we are going to export Netra AWACS mounted on the Brazilian Embraer Jets, than it won't happen because Embraer has been currently under Blacklist so we won't be able to buy additional Airframes for it to Integrate Netra AWACS on it and Export it. Anyways,that won't be a problem Because DRDO said that upon the needs of the customer, it can Integrate the sensor package on another Aircraft, for example C-295, etc .Netra has lots of potential for Export, it will be a very viable and economic option for countries like Vietnam, Malaysia etc.
3) we can sell Weopons like missiles , like Brahmos, akash air defense system, Astra missiles etc(If any modification needs to be done on the request of the customer, than it will be done)
4) not very sure regarding export of drones to be honest, Rustom 2 still is undergoing trials. But it does have a lot of Export Potential to be honest.
And lastly! Let's hope for the best and best of luck to DRDO and all our Defence companies.

abingdonboy

Country flag
France reduced Rafale deliveries to 11 a year for some years because the money was not available for the French air force to take more than the minimum Dassault could produce for production to remain economically viable. IAF is in the opposite situation - needs lots of frames fast. Dassault also cross-trained assembly workers so they could switch from business jet to fighter assembly.

How is HAL going to quickly increase Tejas production to avoid deferring IAF deliveries? IAF is scheduled to take 16 a year from a total production capacity of 16 a year, isn't it? +4 possibly from the ex-Sukhoi line (once it is set up for Tejas). Last I heard though was that Nashik was going to be used for Tejas Mk1 upgrades to Mk1Aish standard. Agreed, they could be shelved for a few years. Of course, if another line with capacity to produce 8 a year is set up, a 36 frame export order would not be a problem.

Agreed, relying on a customer as fickle as IAF is not perfect, especially since HAL's annual accounts show that IAF does not settle its bills on time, starving the company of cash. It would be poetic justice, wouldn't it, if IAF had to wait for deliveries because HAL had got an order from a more reliable customer.
When Dassualt started to ramp production up with a wave of export orders from India, Qatar and Egypt the French customers were forced to defer their airframes for a few years, this is just a fact. I'm not saying this has to happen with HAL but it's an option, that said I've looked into it and the RMAF's terms are standard T0+36 months so plenty of time for HAL to ramp up without affecting IAF orders.

How HAL chooses to do this is their business, they are a mature production agency at this point. One thing they said a while back and not many took on board is that the current LRU outsourcing to the private sector for LCA is around 65-75%, they are looking to ramp this up and if needed they can ramp it up to 85-90% which can add additional capacity from the existing LCA lines without any physical expansion.

HAL's LCA production is actually higher than 16/year eventually anyway as they'll be manufacturing test beds, MK.2 prototypes etc.

Production isn't an issue, orders are. If they get any additional orders from ANY customer they'll ramp up accordingly. 16/year is only done to align with the IAF's requirements (83/5=16), if IAF had ordered more HAL would've had higher peak output to match. Series production isn't an issue for HAL

Super Flanker

Banned
Does Tejas mk1a have the same cockpit as mk1?
Can't say much, most probably,the cockpit of Tejas mk1a and mk1 won't be the exact same, there could be some slight Changes between the cockpits of the Two fighters. As of now,we can't say much on this until some confirmation.

But for the fact ,Tejas mk1a will be a successor to Tejas mk1 , Tejas mk1a will have several improvements from the previous iteration that'is Tejas mk1 ,so in my opinion,there will be some changes in the cockpit.

abingdonboy

Country flag
1> 3 MWF squadrons.
3> 4 Netra AEW.

This will require a mindset change in the Indian leadership channels. India needs a dedicated export agency like Russia and France has, today it's too ad hoc and the people in MoD that control these things are civil servants with no interest in export promotion.

The defence minister of India should consider his job as being a salesman for Indian defence products

Having the products to offer is not enough, this sector in particular is very ruthless and only the nimble and govt backed agencies prevail, India isn't dynamic enough to get the ball moving, the entire might of the Indian govt should be placed into each and every contract- create innovative financing proposals, package deals etc.

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
Can't say much, most probably,
the cockpit of Tejas mk1a and mk1 won't be the exact same,
there could be some slight Changes between the cockpits of the Two fighters
As of now,we can't say much on this until some confirmation.
Tejas mk1a will have several improvements from the previous iteration
that'is Tejas mk1 ,so in my opinion,there will be some changes in the cockpit.
Ek hi sentence mai kaam chala leta bhaai
Itna Stretchhhh karne ki kya zarurat

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles