LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Spitfire9

Country flag
From the comments above it sounds like Tejas is in a good position, FA-50 is also in a favourable position but much depends on what requirement SK wants to satisfy and JF-17 is the outsider.

When is SK likely to reach a decision? And if Tejas gets the deal, how fast does HAL have to start doing things to expand production?

abingdonboy

Country flag
From the comments above it sounds like Tejas is in a good position, FA-50 is also in a favourable position but much depends on what requirement SK wants to satisfy and JF-17 is the outsider.

When is SK likely to reach a decision? And if Tejas gets the deal, how fast does HAL have to start doing things to expand production?
JF-17 has no part to play in this tender anymore, they didn't respond by the deadline.

I still think the FA-50 is the clear favourite (and by a huge margin, all other options are miles behind)

The standard contract time will be 36 months from contract signature to deliveries. HAL will abide by all such commitments no questions asked. If RMAF even want earlier production that that (24 months) I'm sure it can be done by deferring a few IAF deliveries.

Spitfire9

Country flag
The standard contract time will be 36 months from contract signature to deliveries. HAL will abide by all such commitments no questions asked. If RMAF even want earlier production that that (24 months) I'm sure it can be done by deferring a few IAF deliveries.
Precisely why I have queried not increasing production capacity - poaching frames from IAF for a largish export order means less aircraft for IAF or more Rafale or more likelihood of MWFA going ahead. Might be better all round not to get the order.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Precisely why I have queried not increasing production capacity - poaching frames from IAF for a largish export order means less aircraft for IAF or more Rafale or more likelihood of MWFA going ahead. Might be better all round not to get the order.
I said deferred not cancelled just like what happened at Dassualt when they got export orders from Egypt and India for Rafales- the French users deferred their deliveries by a few years so Dassualt could service export customers first. So that doesn't mean less aircraft for the IAF

And I said this will ONLY occur if RMAF desires their birds before 36 months, within 36 months HAL will easily augment their production to service any additional orders, in fact they might even be able to do so within 24 months and not impact existing orders.

It's definitely worth HAL trying to gobble up as much revenue outside of India as they can as having to rely solely on fickle Indian customers puts them at a disadvantage

Spitfire9

Country flag
I said deferred not cancelled just like what happened at Dassualt when they got export orders from Egypt and India for Rafales- the French users deferred their deliveries by a few years so Dassualt could service export customers first. So that doesn't mean less aircraft for the IAF

And I said this will ONLY occur if RMAF desires their birds before 36 months, within 36 months HAL will easily augment their production to service any additional orders, in fact they might even be able to do so within 24 months and not impact existing orders.

It's definitely worth HAL trying to gobble up as much revenue outside of India as they can as having to rely solely on fickle Indian customers puts them at a disadvantage
France reduced Rafale deliveries to 11 a year for some years because the money was not available for the French air force to take more than the minimum Dassault could produce for production to remain economically viable. IAF is in the opposite situation - needs lots of frames fast. Dassault also cross-trained assembly workers so they could switch from business jet to fighter assembly.

How is HAL going to quickly increase Tejas production to avoid deferring IAF deliveries? IAF is scheduled to take 16 a year from a total production capacity of 16 a year, isn't it? +4 possibly from the ex-Sukhoi line (once it is set up for Tejas). Last I heard though was that Nashik was going to be used for Tejas Mk1 upgrades to Mk1Aish standard. Agreed, they could be shelved for a few years. Of course, if another line with capacity to produce 8 a year is set up, a 36 frame export order would not be a problem.

Agreed, relying on a customer as fickle as IAF is not perfect, especially since HAL's annual accounts show that IAF does not settle its bills on time, starving the company of cash. It would be poetic justice, wouldn't it, if IAF had to wait for deliveries because HAL had got an order from a more reliable customer.

Trololo

Country flag
I'm very happy with AKM's Hamara Tejas program. No bullshit. No youngster youngster Kalam Kalam. Mostly crisp and clear content, along with detailed views of some facilities. Last episode on iron bird and its team was excellent. The fact that they will build a bigger iron bird for the Mk2, and an even bigger one for the AMCA, TEDBF etc shows how much capability we have acquired. Govt should see this and sink in a few 1000 crores into the aerospace and mechanical departments of a few top universities to create top research facilities and keep churning out manpower.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Thanks!!

Also, have another "retro" pic
View attachment 115199
(Quality might not be the best, but i don't really have a lot of pics of the technology demonstrators)
Some more pictures !
LCA8.jpg

d167e0126fe645879d0b4db5b95bd578.jpeg

I highly doubt that Tejas can be Exported to Argentina, Tejas currently uses many Crucial components of British orgin such as Radome , Ejection seat ,Refuelling Probe etc. UK doesn't have good relationship with Argentina and UK has imposed an Armes Embargo in Argentina, and hence we can't Export tejas to Argentina
because currently uses many Crucial components of British orgin such as Radome , Ejection seat , Refuelling Probe etc. If we try to replace and put a new ejection seat ,it will take time to test it ,and Integrate it , this aplies to other systems in tejas of British orgin. So I don't think so it is economically feasible to Export it to Argentina. Also we might Spoil our relationship with UK in some ways.
That looks really beautiful. Tejas Elephant walk. Also this elephant walk exposed claim of Tejas being 60 Percent Grounded.That news that 60 Percent Tejas were Grounded were burst with The elephant Walk of Tejas.Here are some videos to explain in detail what I mean.

Global Defence

Articles