LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
IAF sources say that the second squadron of Tejas (No 18, Flying Bullets) will be formed at Air Force Station Sulur by likely next month, with the induction of 1stand 1st 4 fighters.

SP-22 & SP-23 are completed. Undergoing new software integration. Will fly within March.

Also, by the fit & finish, the gun area is definitely a crude prototype. To be smoothened in next ones if aerial firing trial is successfully concluded by SP-21

Last edited:

vishnugupt

Country flag
I have answered it before read the comments..

Jaguar wasn't incapable but a good aircraft with twin engines. But French had already offered us Mirage 2k which was more potent and a better aircraft.

Jaguar was Anglo French product. While Mirage a French product.

If you check the older news link French def minister I think made a trip to stop the signing of Jaguar. But due to political reason it was decided to split it between both Mirage and Jaguar. IAF on the other hand was interested in Mirage at that time as it was a next gen aircraft and much potent. We all know that Mirage is indeed a superior product.
Jaguar was incapable even their own Air forces ( UK, France ) had declined to accept But I agree on Politics because it was the time of Cold War. This is also true IAF wanted Mirage and they got Mirage + Mig 29 which was enough in term of requirement Against F16.
So, in my opinion, IAF got what was needed.
Now Mirage2k wasn't needed just for F 16 but to fulfill the need of IAF to replace migs which were getting outdated in front of new aircrafts. An order of 150-200 was signed but later cancelled. Even in 2000 after Kargil IAF asked for additional 240 Mirage in mrca.

I don't know what another logic which you need to know but IAF is in shortage of aircraft and Mirage was perfect option then.

Jaguars , mig 21 their upgrade old mig 27 etc were forced to be used by IAF when mirage 2k.didnt happen

Idea of 300-400 light multirole Mirage aircrafts was same as we have now for 300+ Tejas in IAF.

15-20 Mirage and 10-14 Su along with 3-4 Mig 29 and 5-6 jags that was the IAF vision to keep minimum squadron strength.
From 1978 to 2002, IAF got Mirage, Mig 29, Sukhois but god knows somehow requirement of 400 Mirage had always been there. How??
Not only me in fact anyone here, never said that IAF is not short of squadrons, never !! we are freaking to see IAF response to this crisis
IAF could have get Tejas as early as 2010 if they had taken Tejas seriously since its conceptions.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Jaguars from france were meant for spare parts which we need to keep our Jaguars affloat.

But if IAF is asked to induct an aircraft with just marginal improvement over it in 2020s for a price of 40-65 million dollar they'll definitely ask to improve on.
Nobody denying this infact we all want capable IAF but same could have done in phage manner for LAC Tejas rather than asking all improvement on day one. like all kind of aircrafts of IAF has done.
I neither denying HAL incapability nor Tejas deficiencies compare to western fighter but we are objecting to IAF immaturity/careless attitude to handle this crisis. IAF is a big player among all government organisations and it can't runaway from indigenization, giving doable requirements and product development.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Upgrades in LCA 'Tejas' SP-21 (FOC):

1. Air-to-air refueling probe
2. Onboard oxygen generating system (OBOGS)
3. 23mm GSh-23 canon operationalized
4. Quartz made radome (present in some IOC as well)
5. Tendem inner under-wing hardpoints
6. Now 3 drop tanks could be carried; 2x 750L + 1x 450L

Image credit : Deb Rana
Info source: Defence Decode
FB_IMG_1584517728539.jpg

vishnugupt

Country flag
Upgrades in LCA 'Tejas' SP-21 (FOC):

1. Air-to-air refueling probe
2. Onboard oxygen generating system (OBOGS)
3. 23mm GSh-23 canon operationalized
4. Quartz made radome (present in some IOC as well)
5. Tendem inner under-wing hardpoints
6. Now 3 drop tanks could be carried; 2x 750L + 1x 450L

Image credit : Deb Rana
Info source: Defence Decode
View attachment 44492
But HAL media statement don't say the same. so
No OBOGS
No operationalised Gun. trials will be commenced soon
Rest is true

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
So, roughly speaking, around when can we expect to start churning out MK1A's w/ AESA's?
Given HAL's record and Air forces'constant nagging and MoD's bakchodi.I would say 2024.

This is the most realistic timeframe,we also need to account the budget crunch and the lack of cooperation between these institutions.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
But HAL media statement don't say the same. so
No OBOGS
No operationalised Gun. trials will be commenced soon
Rest is true
Ananth Krishnan report says it can stay continuously in air for 8 hours with air to air refueling that means there is that much oxygen !

Maybe obogs is there .
HVT said no.

It doesn't has OBOGS right now but the last few of the batch will do, before switching to Mark1A, as per DD.

rohit b3

Country flag
DAC paves the way for procurement of 83 LCA Mk1A from HAL by finalising the contractual and other issues. The proposal will now be placed for consideration of Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS).

DAC...CCS...ABZ...XYZ....LLC ...How many more tables will it be placed on before the contract being signed?

Prashant12

Country flag
DAC...CCS...ABZ...XYZ....LLC ...How many more tables will it be placed on before the contract being signed?

CCS is final before the contract being signed.

Any contractual issues requires DAC approval before CCS.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles