LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

scatterStorm

Country flag
What is zoom climb and inflight wind ... ? Can you post link ?
Basically you are trading your cruising speed to achieve climb rate. See attached picture.

A great video by this channel. I am not sure thought if the English subtitles are there, but if you want some sections to be translated do let me know.

Source:

Attachments

IndianHawk

Country flag
Some details

With air to air refueling Tejas can stay in air for 8 hours.

8g pulled and went supersonic in first flight itself says a lot about quality.

3 more plane coming before June .

Foc gets centre line drop tank of 725 litre. Now 3 drop tank config is ok.

10s inverted sortie.

Derby missile envelope expanded to make it more lethal.

Gsh gun went through intensive butt testing at nasik.

Auto low speed recovery included.

Tandom pylon .

IndianHawk

Country flag
Would require more information on this, did the seeker got improved?
I'm quoting the report by ananth.
It has probably to do with launch speeds , angle of attack etc rather than seeker.

Foc is more robust airframe capable of exploiting full potential of lca design thus improve missile kinematics too .

Anyway Astra and derby ER are the future current derby is only stop gap.

BTW there were reports by isralies that derby er is being tested on lca . Anyone has more info??

Hydra3

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Basically you are trading your cruising speed to achieve climb rate. See attached picture.

A great video by this channel. I am not sure thought if the English subtitles are there, but if you want some sections to be translated do let me know.

Source:
Asper this video Tejas mk1 is having onboard oxygen generator

scatterStorm

Country flag
I'm quoting the report by ananth.
It has probably to do with launch speeds , angle of attack etc rather than seeker.

Foc is more robust airframe capable of exploiting full potential of lca design thus improve missile kinematics too .

Anyway Astra and derby ER are the future current derby is only stop gap.

BTW there were reports by isralies that derby er is being tested on lca . Anyone has more info??
:doh: My bad, missile envelope do improve with better AoA of jet during fire positioning and launch speeds.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Can't you see/read news???
France has offered retired Jaguars to Cry baby as a compliment which IAF accepted gracefully. But Tejas is delayed/obsolete ( Same like, during our childhood we go near by shop with our parents and shopkeeper offers us some candies apart from main item )
Jaguars from france were meant for spare parts which we need to keep our Jaguars affloat.

But if IAF is asked to induct an aircraft with just marginal improvement over it in 2020s for a price of 40-65 million dollar they'll definitely ask to improve on.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Mirage can do, Su30 mki can do.....
Here the talk was not on nuclear missiles but nuclear strike by aircraft and in IAF inventory only jaguars can deliver nuclear war heads strike hence jaguars retained
Jaguars are retained because most of them are new produced in 2000s at around 8 million a piece.
To keep squadron strength affloat. IAF badly needed aircrafts that time and their hope to get Mirage 2000 was almost shattered.

AeSA radar 4 missiles ( ASRAAM or Derby too not sure abt the latter )

That's pretty decent with a good safety record compare to other older aircrafts. All they lack is more thrust but since engine upgrade is cancelled due to cost they'll be ousted soon.

Coming on Nuclear strike role free falling or unguided nuclear bombs can be carried by Jag or Mirage or any other jet with enough space.

But which jet do you think have better chance to enter the enemy territory and complete the mission now?

Brahmos and its upcoming hypersonic version have given ample teeth in nuke role to our aircrafts which can carry it anyway.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Bhai, Could you please elaborate When and why these 400 mirage were needed??
Is there anyone who can thinks logic behind this 400Mirage requirement ??
Mirage and Mig29 bought in response of F-16 procurement by PAF which is logical and sufficient in number. Politics happened between Mirage 2k and Mig 29 but IAF got what was needed, a worth jet against F16.
Jaguar bought by IAF as a strike fighter after extensive trials and please nobody forced IAF ( But in my personal opinion Jaguar deal was biggest scam in IAF's history ). This plane was highly incapable since it's birth and you should thanks HAL which actually give Darine varient which is most advance varient. Delay was bound to happen because HAL made countless improvement in Jaguar even today.... So who is suffering??
Su30mki is different catagory but it can perform Jaguar, Mirage, Mig29 roles so please count it as a requirement which was got fulfilled
And please don't repeat word delay again and again.... Delay is not a new thing. 5-6 year delay is norm in defence... Tell me a country or project which didn't get delayed.
Rest I have already replied and please don't say things which I neither said nor I meant
I have answered it before read the comments..

Jaguar wasn't incapable but a good aircraft with twin engines. But French had already offered us Mirage 2k which was more potent and a better aircraft.

Jaguar was Anglo French product. While Mirage a French product.

If you check the older news link French def minister I think made a trip to stop the signing of Jaguar. But due to political reason it was decided to split it between both Mirage and Jaguar. IAF on the other hand was interested in Mirage at that time as it was a next gen aircraft and much potent. We all know that Mirage is indeed a superior product.

Make sense ?

Now Mirage2k wasn't needed just for F 16 but to fulfill the need of IAF to replace migs which were getting outdated in front of new aircrafts. An order of 150-200 was signed but later cancelled. Even in 2000 after Kargil IAF asked for additional 240 Mirage in mrca.

I don't know what another logic which you need to know but IAF is in shortage of aircraft and Mirage was perfect option then.

Jaguars , mig 21 their upgrade old mig 27 etc were forced to be used by IAF when mirage 2k.didnt happen

Idea of 300-400 light multirole Mirage aircrafts was same as we have now for 300+ Tejas in IAF.

15-20 Mirage and 10-14 Su along with 3-4 Mig 29 and 5-6 jags that was the IAF vision to keep minimum squadron strength.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Finally we have FOC #Tejas taking up sky.... #SP21 will be first aircraft with final operations clearance and of the 2nd Tejas sqd.
cc @Pulkit You can be happy now no need to feel sorry for me either SP 21 is here.

They said by March 4 FOC standard will be delivered, if you believe it's gonna happen I m sorry for you. If that happens trust me no one else will be more happier than me.

SP 21 was expected by November last year not March 2020.
So there is a delay of atleast 4 months.

Please let me know which tests are you referring to here. Was it a planned change. What's the ETA?

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Older jaguars are lacking thrust since engine performance goes down with time/ operational use.

Recent jags (2000sbuild) are fine. There thrust is fine.
Thrust does go down with old engines but
That's not the only reason, the recent upgrades of Jags meant they need additional power which they lack.

That is why IAF was looking for engines with much higher thrust than the previous RR adour engine.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Ouch! that's a kaam chalau gun integration, no issues there but man that's some shoddy airgaps, RCS will be affected. :daru:
Yet to go for aerial firing. That part is still prototypic & most likely will be finished better on finalisation.
View attachment 44464
Really? Are you sure Tejas FOC has MAWS?
HVT said the pod can already double as IRST.
Now all it needs is a RCS suppressing SPJ.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles