LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Lancer

Bana
Country flag
I am 100 % confident sooner or later we will buy few Su-57 off the rack as and when it available. Lets wait and watch .
It's the only solution that makes sense, honestly. We should buy some squadrons off the shelf and then take help from the French or Israelis to upgrade it/customize it.

It's the quickest and most cost effective solution to acquiring stealth fighters + boosting squadron numbers for IAF.

F-35's aren't really for India, and AMCA is nothing more than a paper plane until the design is finalized and mass production is actually, successfully carried out (we aren't even truly mass producing LCA's yet).

Frontrunner

Country flag
Its impossible to get the first flight in by 2025 and then production within 4 years.
2035 is a more realistic time frame for AMCA.
I am more worried about the delay of Tejas mk1A . If its being said the first one will join service by "end 2023", it will pretty much get into 2024, whereas I personally was expecting it to enter service by 2021-22 when it was announced by Parrikar back in 2017. With Parrikar gone, IAF has simply delayed the formal contract.

Anyway , the 100 odd Tejas mk1/mk1A will replace the 100 odd remaining Mig -21
120 off Tejas mk2 will replace the 120 odd Jaguars
100+ AMCA can be used to replace the 100+ Mig29/Mirage2000 from the mid/late 2030s.

^ I think that perfectly fits in.

Now to increase squadron strength...36 Rafales have been ordered already. And since we had to pay for all the Rafale related infrastructure already.......order a follow on of 36 More Rafales.

One extra squadron of Su-30MKI can also be looked at to fill up for the numbers lost in crashes . However i have serious doubts over the capabilities of the MKI ever since the skirmish with Pakistan. On theory i had expected MKI to take out F-16/JF17 as target practice to be honest.
Impossible? Not really.. & here's the reason for it.. IAF is really serious about AMCA... Thus AMCA mk1 will feature underpowered ge414 engine(98kn) to expedite the project.. & also it will enjoy benefits from lesson learned by tejas program.. however india is naive when it comes to stealth project.. so yeah being conscious of track record of hal & ada .. it's more likely it will get delayed.. so let's hope for the best..

& Also u missed out MMRCA2.0 on which IAF is gung ho.. also with strategic partnerships model emloyed it is an eminent project.. considering MMRCA tech is directly linked with AMCA... Imperatively ENGINE tech.. where AMCA mk2 will require a higher thrust engine (120kn).. going into future.. also MWF will require more powerful engine whenever it needs refits into future.. thus whosoever provides engine tech will & tot will win mmrca2.0.. where i feel boeing & dassault are frontrunners..

Frontrunner

Country flag
One extra squadron of Su-30MKI can also be looked at to fill up for the numbers lost in crashes . However i have serious doubts over the capabilities of the MKI ever since the skirmish with Pakistan. On theory i had expected MKI to take out F-16/JF17 as target practice to be honest.
In feb only two mki's were flying against a large strike force of PAF.. & still they stood their ground even after multiple salvo of amraams launched against them...
MKI problem was more to the old spec r77 missiles.. which now have been taken care of after recent purchase of long range R27 variants, R-77-1 & r 74...
Rest assured we hv got hold of operating frequencies of JF17 & f16 radars.. next dual whenever it will happen.. we will witness.. dead meat of PAF..

MKI won't remain same specs.. it will go Midlife upgrades in future .. featuring su35& pakfa tech.. also including new silver bullet K77m long range missile with a range of 190 km & featuring aesa array... It is scheduled to go hot somewhere around 2020..

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
I am 100 % confident sooner or later we will buy few Su-57 off the rack as and when it available. Lets wait and watch .
Nah.

Now that Felon/Frazor crashed i dont think it will even secure any foreign client.

____________________________________________________________________________________

captscooby81

Country flag
Exactly all said and done the real issue is AMCA is still on Paper and some computer drawings . SU-57 is there our flesh and bone doing flying and also crashing . Now look at our current LCA production situation all said and done blaming import dalals and IAF for licking russian pucchies . HAL is not able to deliver what it commits and those jokers just went on strike when the crucial FOC delivery was due and you can imagine their professionalism and expecting them to deliver AMCA in hugh numbers on time is just a mirage .

F-35 is not going to be sold to us the next only option left is Su-57 so just get few squadrons and do typical IAF jugaad with some Israeli systems and fly it and take take your own sweet time to develop AMCA .

I have 0% confidence on these one lunch two punch chaps in HAL or any DPSU to stick to commitments and deliverable's

AMCA is nothing more than a paper plane until the design is finalized and mass production is actually, successfully carried out (we aren't even truly mass producing LCA's yet).

Frontrunner

Country flag
Nah.

Now that Felon/Frazor crashed i dont think it will even secure any foreign client.

____________________________________________________________________________________
One crash doesn't mean anything significant .. it has happened to best of aircrafts.. however it will certainly ground su57 until issues are identified...

However there is one news of Algeria purchasing su57... & thus being first export customer of su57..

Shashank Nayak

Country flag
Su30 and F-16s are nearly same generation aircrafts and you have to see the tactical aspects of 27 Feb objectively to come to conclusions on SU30's capabilities. It was never going to be a target practice and wont be target practice with Rafales in service with meteors either.
Pok was not declared a weapons free zone for IAF. The nearest the mighty F-16 came to the loc was the 10 km buffer on the pok side during an egress. It was never going to be a target practice. But let GOI declare pok as weapons free... and then let us see how close these f-16s venture to the loc..

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Who is manufacturing The carbon Composites used in LCA?
Last time I heard it was some private company Wilson and Stertile was manufacturing these parts.

Narasimh

Country flag
Pok was not declared a weapons free zone for IAF. The nearest the mighty F-16 came to the loc was the 10 km buffer on the pok side during an egress. It was never going to be a target practice. But let GOI declare pok as weapons free... and then let us see how close these f-16s venture to the loc..
Even if it was weapons free zone, a lot of considerations have to be made in a FOX 3 battle. proper IFF has to be done else risk of fratricide is high and being to the south and Mig 21s on the north, Su 30s would have been cautious even if they had R-77s or R-27s. The AMRAAMs launched from Rmax could be off the slave mode and could use its own homing but that's not likely to yield desired result but it will put any aircraft facing it in defensive stance even if its jamming. AIM 120C AFAIK can track jamming signals.
Most importantly, IAF knows what transpired and I am sure they played it rather professionally as against the PAF who were like the stone pelters in kashmir who fire and scoot.

lcafanboy

Country flag
MATLAB DRDO wale ne fir ullu banaya he said production model for MWF will be in air by 2021.

But I believe IAF will place mass orders for both AMCA and MK2 there is no race between them
Both jets have very different roles are are being inducted for very different reasons and both will get mass orders irrespective of which one flies first.
Mk2 prototype 1 will be rolled out in 2022 with first flight in 2023 and all 4 prototype will be in air by 2024-25 and these will be direct production IOC standards. By the time it enters production in 2028 foc will be achieved since all LRUs, systems will be certified on mk1a itself. Only airframe tests need to be done.:)

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
No kickbacks in such procurements........now if it was some phoren order ,they would have done it in a day
That's before the year 2000, what happene with consecutive SEPECAT Jaguar & Mig-29 procurements... Nowadays they prefer debacles like MMRCA or SuperSukhoi upgrade to make a laughing stock of themselves.

Spreading joy over the world is their new motivation.

Last edited:

Deathstar

Country flag
That's before the year 2000, what happene with consecutive SEPECAT Jaguar & Mig-29 procurements... Nowadays they prefer debacles like MMRCA or SuperSukhoi upgrade & to make a laughing stock of themselves.
Didnt u see the lust for Rafale. LCA was saved thanx to late Parikkar

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Didnt u see the lust for Rafale. LCA was saved thanx to late Parikkar
I doubt Rafale needed kickbacks to get men lusting.
But lust all they want, all IAF managed to actually achieve was making a fool of themselves internationally. IA may finally break their record if they order 464 T-90SK instead of MS platforms... Exciting times!

Deathstar

Country flag
I doubt Rafale needed kickbacks to get men lusting.
But lust all they want, all IAF managed to actually achieve was making a fool of themselves internationally. IA may finally break their record if they order 464 T-90SK instead of MS platforms... Exciting times!
It will be the most ridiculous order ever placed imo

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
It will be the most ridiculous order ever placed imo
To be fair, IA's last attempt to outdo IAF's laughter-spreading performance, with both the chosen ones breaking down in Tank Biathlon 2017 wasn't enough.

So, they're planning their ultimate "jackhammer of joy" by ordering few hundreds more of the same tank model!
On your face IAF....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles