LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

WARREN SS

Country flag
MWF will have far lower cost of operation and it will get India on the export market
Rafael are required by but MWF is a necessity
Lets See After seeing Whopping 6.2 billion $ I don't think MWF Will cost less than 15 billion $ in 2027 Inflation cost

I Won't Put such amount of money until HAL not 100 % corporatize

WARREN SS

Country flag
2027 Inflation cost, how?
Considering GE 414 engines ,LCC And other infrastructure cost And per unit cost
It Will be Pegged Somewhere 15 billion $ in 2027-28 when it signed Today of 11-12 billion $ foe 6-7 Squadrons of MWF
Today 4 Squadrons of LCA MK1A cost 6.2 billion $

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
Okay then, rough calculations based on 18 aircraft per sqdn.

Rafales - 36 (2 sqdn) - by next year
Flankers - 260 (14 sqdn)
Tejas - 40 + 83 (7 sqdn) - by 2029
Mig 29 - 66 (4 sqdn)
Mirage 2000 - 49 (2sqdn)
Jags - 120 (7sqdn)
Mig 21 - 64 (3 sqdn) - will be retired

So by 2030 IAF will most probably have, 2 + 14 + 7 + 4 + 2 + 7 = 36 sqdn. +- 3

MRFA - 6 sqdn. Planned
MWF - 6 sqnd (hopefully)

Now, by 2035 we don't know how many of Jags, Mirage and Mig 29 with total 13 ~sqdn
will be retired. If they all are retired then there's a pretty clear clause for MRCA 2.0 and MWF both (6 + 6 sqdn each)
in an ideal world with no issues related to money.
I have not read through the interview of IAF chief in his pc, i don't know whether he was saying that
by 2035 we will have 35 sqdn including MRFA or without it.

Even if they do include MRFA and considering the age of other aircrafts its clear that IAF can't afford
the import of 6 sqdn of MRFA anytime soon and that 6 sqdn are far from enough, MWF is the one that will be
the one filling the gaps.

And at the end it was MWF which was supposed to be the replacemetn of Jags and Mirage, which seems more
plausible to me.

Also, the love of IAF for MMRCA isn't something new, they can fantasizes all they want but truth is that we
can't afford it, IAF is already more involved in MWF program than any other previous Tejas program so i don't see any reason why MWF is getting the shit on and why people are making mountain of a molehill.

At most it seems to me that IAF wanted to make a case for additional rafales and i am okay if they get additional orders of 36 rafales, most probably they will get follow on orders and shut the MMRCA 2.0 drama forever and let MWF be take the rest of the lot.
Fact 1

IAF CAS has said 35 SQNs by 2035 is their estimation, so we will use this number

Fact 2

In the last few weeks the CAS has said they do NOT want the additional 36 Rafales and are only interested in 114 MRFA

Fact 3 in 3 out of 4 statements made in public about future IAF force plans the CAS has omitted the LCA MK.2 entirely but in 100% of the occasions he has mentioned 114 MRFA

Our own views on the affordability or fantasy nature of these plans is immaterial, the IAF is the agency that makes the plans and places the orders so saying things like "they have no choice but to order MK.2" is nonsense- the IAF are the ones that need to make that call.

2035 force:

6 LCA Mk.1/1A
15 SU-30MKI (the new CAS mentioned the additional batch of 12 MKIs so they will be back to full 15 SQN)
8 Rafale/MRFA (this is part of the IAF's planning like it or not)
2 AMCA (conceivable by 2035)
4 Mirage 2000 UPG/MiG-29UPG/Jaguar Darin 3 (these upgrades of over 100 jets are ongoing today and aim to extend their life span 10-15 years so will still be on the scene easily come 2035)

Again, given the 35 SQN target/projection where is there the space for the LCA MK.2?

Subtly a LCA MK.2 vs MRFA battle was being fought in the last few years and the LCA MK.2 has blatantly lost it. We should've known that when the IAF insisted that ADA revert to LCA MK.2 designation after MWF was used for a while. MWF was seen as a threat to the MRFA.

He further argued that despite all the planned acquisition, including that of 114 MRFA, 83 Light Combat Aircraft Mk1A and the indigenous 5th generation Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), the IAF will not be able to meet its target of 42 squadrons over the next 10-15 years.

The IAF chief explained that the next decade will see the phasing out of four squadrons of the MiG 21 Bison, Jaguar deep penetration aircraft, Mirage 2000 and the MiG 29s.

“We have catered for this. The acquisition plan is based on the 83 LCA, deliveries of which will commence from 2024. We are fully committed to the AMCA programme, for which an aggressive timeline has been set by the DRDO… We plan to start inducting the AMCA by early years of next decade,” he said responding to a query by ThePrint during his annual press conference ahead of the Air Force Day on 8 October.
MK1A, MRFA, AMCA mentioned, not able to meet 42 SQNs= all points to MK.2 being dead.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Fact 1

IAF CAS has said 35 SQNs by 2035 is their estimation, so we will use this number

Fact 2

In the last few weeks the CAS has said they do NOT want the additional 36 Rafales and are only interested in 114 MRFA

Fact 3 in 3 out of 4 statements made in public about future IAF force plans the CAS has omitted the LCA MK.2 entirely but in 100% of the occasions he has mentioned 114 MRFA

Our own views on the affordability or fantasy nature of these plans is immaterial, the IAF is the agency that makes the plans and places the orders so saying things like "they have no choice but to order MK.2" is nonsense- the IAF are the ones that need to make that call.

2035 force:

6 LCA Mk.1/1A
15 SU-30MKI (the new CAS mentioned the additional batch of 12 MKIs so they will be back to full 15 SQN)
4 Mirage 2000 UPG/MiG-29UPG/Jaguar Darin 3 (these upgrades of over 100 jets are ongoing today and aim to extend their life span 10-15 years so will still be on the scene easily come 2035)

Again, given the 35 SQN target/projection where is there the space for the LCA MK.2?

Subtly a LCA MK.2 vs MRFA battle was being fought in the last few years and the LCA MK.2 has blatantly lost it. We should've known that when the IAF insisted that ADA revert to LCA MK.2 designation after MWF was used for a while. MWF was seen as a threat to the MRFA.

MK1A, MRFA, AMCA mentioned, not able to meet 42 SQNs= all points to MK.2 being dead.
Lets wait and watch. Not like we can do anything about it right now. The current IAF chief wouldn't even be in service by the time Tejas MkII gets ready for induction.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Lets wait and watch. Not like we can do anything about it right now. The current IAF chief wouldn't even be in service by the time Tejas MkII gets ready for induction.
He represents the institutional view of the IAF, he's not a CEO that can act independently of his organisation. Whatever views he has are the views of the senior most IAF leadership so whoever follows him will be from the same cloth.

In IAF's words- LCA MK.2 is over, you can see the writing on the wall if you pay attention.

FalconZero

Country flag
Fact 1

Fact 2

2035 force:

6 LCA Mk.1/1A

>Responding to another question, the IAF chief said squadrons of unmanned aircraft (futuristic armed drones) are different from that of the fighters.
>Asked specifically if this meant that the IAF was ruling out the possibility of procuring additional 36 Rafale fighter jets, ACM Chaudhari said the Rafale is also one of the contenders.
>“We are happy with the performance of the aircraft but I would not like to comment on whether it will be the main contender or not for the MRFA,” he said.

Look at the last two statements, media is putting the word in his mouth, how can you expect a current IAF chief to take a side on a competition that is ongoing? Do you really think he will be openly saying that bro fuck it we gonna go with Rafales no cap fr? Media twisted it into that 'rulling out the possibility of additional rafales' like how?

Also, it's clear that media is coming with an agenda. Now coming to one more point, note this particular statement,

>He further argued that despite all the planned acquisition, including that of 114 MRFA, 83 Light Combat Aircraft Mk1A and the indigenous 5th generation Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), the IAF will not be able to meet its target of 42 squadrons over the next 10-15 years.
>planned
is the keyword here, MWF is in the development phase ffs it hasn't even taken first flight yet and it is plausible that he was just referring to the actual working prototypes plus in no given day any chief can say that AMCA is not going to be procured because it's been stated again and again that IAF is not going to buy any foreign 5th gen aircraft.

Probably just gaffe and i don't know if these media guys were grade A subhuman retards which they are that they didn't mention one counter-question regarding why MWF was opted out.

Anyway, the videos i shared earlier and tweet was directly from the IAF chief himself after his PC, more recent and more updated where he is openly accepting that MWF and AMCA are on the cards. For me that is enough, rest only time will tell what happens.
Sharing that tweet again,

If you take one example of IAF chief not mentioning mwf as a final conclusion then i don't know why you are denying this particular reply from the chief where he only repeats and states that IAF is committed to Atmnirbharta and towards MWF and AMCA.

FalconZero

Country flag
He represents the institutional view of the IAF, he's not a CEO that can act independently of his organisation. Whatever views he has are the views of the senior most IAF leadership so whoever follows him will be from the same cloth.

In IAF's words- LCA MK.2 is over, you can see the writing on the wall if you pay attention.
And he never said that MWF is ruled out, or even Rafales ruled out and in both the cases our dalal media made it up.

Hell, he has outright stated that that MWF is on the cards that by your own logic, now if i go by it since he didn't mention MMRCA 2.0 in that particular tweet then IAF has dropped it and we should take it as a great victory of atmanirbhartha and go to sleep?

Doesn't make sense. Many replies depend on the context of the question, it was his first PC let's not be too judgemental here when he has come again and stated his support for mwf.

abingdonboy

Country flag
>Responding to another question, the IAF chief said squadrons of unmanned aircraft (futuristic armed drones) are different from that of the fighters.
>Asked specifically if this meant that the IAF was ruling out the possibility of procuring additional 36 Rafale fighter jets, ACM Chaudhari said the Rafale is also one of the contenders.
>“We are happy with the performance of the aircraft but I would not like to comment on whether it will be the main contender or not for the MRFA,” he said.

Look at the last two statements, media is putting the word in his mouth, how can you expect a current IAF chief to take a side on a competition that is ongoing? Do you really think he will be openly saying that bro fuck it we gonna go with Rafales no cap fr? Media twisted it into that 'rulling out the possibility of additional rafales' like how?

Also, it's clear that media is coming with an agenda. Now coming to one more point, note this particular statement,

>He further argued that despite all the planned acquisition, including that of 114 MRFA, 83 Light Combat Aircraft Mk1A and the indigenous 5th generation Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), the IAF will not be able to meet its target of 42 squadrons over the next 10-15 years.
>planned
is the keyword here, MWF is in the development phase ffs it hasn't even taken first flight yet and it is plausible that he was just referring to the actual working prototypes plus in no given day any chief can say that AMCA is not going to be procured because it's been stated again and again that IAF is not going to buy any foreign 5th gen aircraft.

Probably just gaffe and i don't know if these media guys were grade A subhuman retards which they are that they didn't mention one counter-question regarding why MWF was opted out.

Anyway, the videos i shared earlier and tweet was directly from the IAF chief himself after his PC, more recent and more updated where he is openly accepting that MWF and AMCA are on the cards. For me that is enough, rest only time will tell what happens.
Sharing that tweet again,

If you take one example of IAF chief not mentioning mwf as a final conclusion then i don't know why you are denying this particular reply from the chief where he only repeats and states that IAF is committed to Atmnirbharta and towards MWF and AMCA.
Sorry but you are clutching at straws.

In his first official PC as CAS which has prepared scripts run past his senior staff he failed to mention the LCA MK.2 even once, this trend continued until that ANI video, even there he didn't mention any numbers, timelines etc.

He has consistently mentioned 114 MRFA.

And you are avoiding the elephant in the room- the 35 SQN figure for the 2030s

Tell me how the LCA MK.2 can fit into that number with the 123 LCAs, 270 SU-30s, 100+ Mirage 2K/MiG-29UPG/Jag Darin 3 and 1-2 squadrons of AMCA already there? It's either LCA MK.2 or MRFA to make up the remaining 7-8 SQNs, can't have both.

IAF has made their choice, the slow death of LCA MK.2 begins now.

Two trends are evident- IAF is VERY focused on the MRFA, they clearly aren't interested in LCA MK.2

+ stop using MWF- the IAF forced ADA t revert to LCA MK.2 they were so concerned about the optics of going for MRFA if the LCA MK.2 was being referred to as the Medium weight fighter.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag

Various stages I am going through after your comment:-

Denial.jpg

Anger.jpg

Realization.jpg

Acceptance.jpeg

tatakae2.jpg

tatakae1.jpg

FalconZero

Country flag

In his first official PC as CAS which has prepared scripts run past his senior staff he failed to mention the LCA MK.2 even once, this trend continued until that ANI video, even there he didn't mention any numbers, timelines etc.

Tell me how the LCA MK.2 can fit into that number with the 123 LCAs, 270 SU-30s, 100+ Mirage 2K/MiG-29UPG/Jag Darin 3 and 1-2 squadrons of AMCA already there? It's either LCA MK.2 or MRFA to make up the remaining 7-8 SQNs, can't have both.

+ stop using MWF- the IAF forced ADA t revert to LCA MK.2 they were so concerned about the optics of going for MRFA if the LCA MK.2 was being referred to as the Medium weight fighter.
It's just a PC that's it.

What i do know is that investment in MWF, IAF working with HAL on MWF + Statement of IAF chief on MWF, previous and current chiefs >>>> Whatever bs nonsense came out of the first PC where media is openly skewing his statement to push agenda.

Coming to '35 sqdn' don't care it's just a random number on which we should not fixate too much, IAF has been coping about MMRCA since forever so there's nothing new and for me 35 sqdn is as moot as our imaginary fantasy of 42 sqdn. These are just numbers which have so many variables attached that they don't hold any value.

>We don't know whether we are going to go through MMRCA
>We don't know whether MOD will allocate budget or will have budget for that
>I do believe that if Mk1a was bought by IAF then Mk2 has no particular reason not be selected
>IAF chief did mention about MWF and AMCA that is enough
>Our economic state, maybe we can afford both MMRCA and MWF by 2030

There are so many factors and contrary points to your claim of 'slow death of mwf' that your reaction and many others seems to be overblown nothing else.

FalconZero

Country flag
Various stages I am going through after your comment:-

Dude IAF has literally pilots working with ADA on MWF program, HAL has invested so much and MWF is rolling out next year. We literally ordered 83 mk1a and 40 of old tejas, why on the earth will no one order better and superior version of those?

And let's not ignore that IAF has say but it also depend on the political party at the center, modi is going to shove MWF into every whole of IAF until they start seeing anything but MWF. God i miss Parrikar, he knew how to handle these dolts than anyone.

Anyway, I would take the actual reply of IAF chief confirming that they are looking for MWF than any dalal media's mental masturbation about 'mwf getting eclipsed by blah blah blah'.

abingdonboy

Country flag
It's just a PC that's it.

What i do know is that investment in MWF, IAF working with HAL on MWF + Statement of IAF chief on MWF, previous and current chiefs >>>> Whatever bs nonsense came out of the first PC where media is openly skewing his statement to push agenda.

Coming to '35 sqdn' don't care it's just a random number on which we should not fixate too much, IAF has been coping about MMRCA since forever so there's nothing new and for me 35 sqdn is as moot as our imaginary fantasy of 42 sqdn. These are just numbers which have so many variables attached that they don't hold any value.

>We don't know whether we are going to go through MMRCA
>We don't know whether MOD will allocate budget or will have budget for that
>I do believe that if Mk1a was bought by IAF then Mk2 has no particular reason not be selected
>IAF chief did mention about MWF and AMCA that is enough
>Our economic state, maybe we can afford both MMRCA and MWF by 2030

There are so many factors and contrary points to your claim of 'slow death of mwf' that your reaction and many others seems to be overblown nothing else.
You can spin things as much as you like, the fact is the views of civilians means nothing.

What the CAS says represents the official institutional view of the IAF and if you think he mentions future force levels (35 SQNs) or inductions (MRFA) on a whim you are kidding yourself- this is based on plans the IAF has and what they are working to

Do not use external factors, what the IAF says they are aiming for is what the IAF is aiming for, end of story. They are in their own world.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Dude IAF has literally pilots working with ADA on MWF program, HAL has invested so much and MWF is rolling out next year. We literally ordered 83 mk1a and 40 of old tejas, why on the earth will no one order better and superior version of those?

And let's not ignore that IAF has say but it also depend on the political party at the center, modi is going to shove MWF into every whole of IAF until they start seeing anything but MWF. God i miss Parrikar, he knew how to handle these dolts than anyone.

Anyway, I would take the actual reply of IAF chief confirming that they are looking for MWF than any dalal media's mental masturbation about 'mwf getting eclipsed by blah blah blah'.
The navy has an entire NLCA project team, how many NLCA have they ordered?

Modi doesn't monitor these projects personally nor is he able to interfere in such plans, he's not a technocrat and in a parliamentary democracy it doesn't work like that anyway.

+ Again, IAF forced ADA to drop the MWF designation- what does it tell you when the IAF wants that plane linked to the LCA and not thought of as a MRFA/MMRCA?

FalconZero

Country flag
You can spin things as much as you like, the fact is the views of civilians means nothing.

What the CAS says represents the official institutional view of the IAF and if you think he mentions future force levels (35 SQNs) or inductions (MRFA) on a whim you are kidding yourself- this is based on plans the IAF has and what they are working to

Do not use external factors, what the IAF says they are aiming for is what the IAF is aiming for, end of story. They are in their own world.
IAF was also aiming for 42 sqnd and imaginary MMRCA 1.0, they didn't want Tejas but had to buy it anyway.

We are now going in circles and repeat like autistic tards the same point so i will say this, you say that IAF chief words matter well he gave this statement,

>I think our steps are well known to everybody. We have signed the contract for 83 LCA; the AMCA and LCA-Mk2 are on the cards: IAF Chief, Air Chief Marshal VR Chaudhari to ANI, on Indian Air Force's steps for future in the direction of 'Make in India' initiative

We are too invested in MWF that i don't think statement of even CAS matters at this point in all honestly, number of '35' sqdn i am not much worried about it. There are too many factors, we can probably go into a MAD war with china before MMRCA culminates into anything feasible on ground. Not too worried about it.

That's it from my side. Please feel free to dream about MMRCA. I can bet that i will be married and will have kids before MMRCA cluminates to anything feasible.

IndianYonko

Country flag

Two trends are evident- IAF is VERY focused on the MRFA, they clearly aren't interested in LCA MK.2

You are beating the bush for no reason.

From your point of view, let's assume that IAF drops MWF. Then it would be a Mig_21_Tejas repeat. Nothing more. IAF has no option other than to stick with MWF,

And given the record of MK1/A if HAL manages to fly MWF, IAF will be forced to accept MWF. Just remember the criticism IAF had to face while inking MK1/A deal.

These dynamics will also change once theatre are established.

Regarding lobbyist, solution is not to stop/force it but rather aligning this with indigenous product. Corruption to hoga...

FalconZero

Country flag
The navy has an entire NLCA project team, how many NLCA have they ordered?

Modi doesn't monitor these projects personally nor is he able to interfere in such plans, he's not a technocrat and in a parliamentary democracy it doesn't work like that anyway.

+ Again, IAF forced ADA to drop the MWF designation- what does it tell you when the IAF wants that plane linked to the LCA and not thought of as a MRFA/MMRCA?
Navy rejected NLCA long ago because of weight issue and their team is there to develop the tech for TEDBF and take their learnings from NLCA. Navy never had any requirement for a single engine fighter, they want a twin engine. Navy is not too worried about the depleting sqdn issue but that's a major issue with IAF.
Apple and oranges. IAF can use a MWF like single engine aircraft which is indigenous and cheaper to operate as well as capable with many 4.5+ gen features.

abingdonboy

Country flag
IAF was also aiming for 42 sqnd and imaginary MMRCA 1.0, they didn't want Tejas but had to buy it anyway.

We are now going in circles and repeat like autistic tards the same point so i will say this, you say that IAF chief words matter well he gave this statement,

>I think our steps are well known to everybody. We have signed the contract for 83 LCA; the AMCA and LCA-Mk2 are on the cards: IAF Chief, Air Chief Marshal VR Chaudhari to ANI, on Indian Air Force's steps for future in the direction of 'Make in India' initiative

We are too invested in MWF that i don't think statement of even CAS matters at this point in all honestly, number of '35' sqdn i am not much worried about it. There are too many factors, we can probably go into a MAD war with china before MMRCA culminates into anything feasible on ground. Not too worried about it.

That's it from my side. Please feel free to dream about MMRCA. I can bet that i will be married and will have kids before MMRCA cluminates to anything feasible.
Let me make it clear, I think MRFA/MMRCA is never going to happen and focus should be 36-54 more Rafales off the shelf and 200+ LCA MK.2. But what I would like to see doesn't mean anything.

The words of the IAF's senior most officers DOES matter as it is the that draw up force structures and sign contracts.

Even if you predict that MRFA falls apart and they are 'forced' to accept the LCA Mk.2, when? In 3 years? 5 years? 10 years?

The entire point of LCA MK.2 was learning the lessons of MK.1, if the IAF doesn't give large order commitments many years out the same fate awaits the MK.2 project.

MRFA is a distraction and I'm 100% sure will already be hurting the MK.2 project, this is the reality.

FalconZero

Country flag
Let me make it clear, I think MRFA/MMRCA is never going to happen and focus should be 36-54 more Rafales off the shelf and 200+ LCA MK.2. But what I would like to see doesn't mean anything.

The words of the IAF's senior most officers DOES matter as it is the that draw up force structures and sign contracts.

Even if you predict that MRFA falls apart and they are 'forced' to accept the LCA Mk.2, when? In 3 years? 5 years? 10 years?

The entire point of LCA MK.2 was learning the lessons of MK.1, if the IAF doesn't give large order commitments many years out the same fate awaits the MK.2 project.

MRFA is a distraction and I'm 100% sure will already be hurting the MK.2 project, this is the reality.

Nope MK2 was supposed to be the actual Tejas that IAF wanted and they are getting the best version of it. This was the one that was supposed to get more orders than any other Tejas variant and it should get if they actually want to hit the 42 sqdn requirement.

You are too paranoid but let's agree to disagree i am going to prepare some my leftover works. Good Night!

abingdonboy

Country flag
You are beating the bush for no reason.

From your point of view, let's assume that IAF drops MWF. Then it would be a Mig_21_Tejas repeat. Nothing more. IAF has no option other than to stick with MWF,

And given the record of MK1/A if HAL manages to fly MWF, IAF will be forced to accept MWF. Just remember the criticism IAF had to face while inking MK1/A deal.

These dynamics will also change once theatre are established.

Regarding lobbyist, solution is not to stop/force it but rather aligning this with indigenous product. Corruption to hoga...
You make out like there are mechanisms that keep the IAF in decent shape but instead they absolutely can (and often do) engage in the most self defeating behaviour. There's nothing stopping them from dropping the MK.2 and pursuing the MRFA that will also never happen leading to them dropping their strength yet further. What prevented the IAF from refusing to induct the LCA as their ancient fleet either retired or crashed?

the 2020s/2030s will be absolutely a repeat of the 2000s/2010s- IAF so focused on MMRCA/MRFA that their fleet rots whilst they make impossible demands on the domestic option.

Articles