LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Flying Dagger

Country flag
The modernisation of Mirage is too much.
I still believe optimum mix of western/russian give us numbers and performance. Without Mig 21 or Mig 27 we would not have the numbers.
Btw Mig 29 is still a decent fighter against what pakistan and chinese throw at us.
SU 30 MKI after MLU will be an even better aircraft.
Rather the purchase of Jags was crazy. Ideally it should have been some Mirage 2000, Su 25 and Mig 29 in the 80s. These platforms would have still been relevant in 2021.
Modernization cost was high due to several reasons corruption is one of them.

And yes Mirage Su 25 combo would have been much better with 150-200 Mig 29s.

IndianHawk

Country flag
The modernisation of Mirage is too much.
I still believe optimum mix of western/russian give us numbers and performance. Without Mig 21 or Mig 27 we would not have the numbers.
Btw Mig 29 is still a decent fighter against what pakistan and chinese throw at us.
SU 30 MKI after MLU will be an even better aircraft.
Rather the purchase of Jags was crazy. Ideally it should have been some Mirage 2000, Su 25 and Mig 29 in the 80s. These platforms would have still been relevant in 2021.
Yes mig29 upg is a very very capable fighter with a power ew suit , increased range with more fuel and in-flight refueling and more air to ground weaponary.

Almost all shortcomings of old mig29 are solved.

Similarly su30mki upgrade will make it beast

Ar.gaurav28

Country flag
So it took from March 2019 to January 2021 for the Mk1A order to be 'converted into a firm order very soon.' and in that period the opportunity to build more FOC aircraft faded away.
That is what I was saying, HAL could have started work on atleast one prototype of mk1a in 2019 so that signing of paperwork would have been just a formality and we could have a production line running in just few months after signing of contract! within this year a dozen of tejas mk1a could have been inducted and would have replaced ageing mig21.
this is how bureaucracy is ruining our country...

Flying Dagger

Country flag
That is what I was saying, HAL could have started work on atleast one prototype of mk1a in 2019 so that signing of paperwork would have been just a formality and we could have a production line running in just few months after signing of contract! within this year a dozen of tejas mk1a could have been inducted and would have replaced ageing mig21.
It was a formality in anycase. HAL is working at its pace.

Spitfire9

Country flag
No need to comment. I think you said it all!

Spitfire9

Country flag
I don't know why ,but it feels like you have some attachment to Tejas , maybe not ?

Are you NRI or OCI
Don't know what NRI or OCI are. Sorry.

Yes, I would like an extra player to US, France, UK (don't include Russia or China) to join the select group of high performance fighter manufacturers.

India has seemed reluctant to take the opportunity to outperform the major western producers in the 4G+ market. Potentially I see India as the best value, non-aligned (needs an independent engine) source of 4G+ aircraft. I have not checked but how many air forces in countries with limited budgets or which do not want to be subject to US political constraints need replacement light fighters in the next few years? I guess the number of airframes needed surpasses the Indian requirement.

I see Mk1A as the chance for India to become a serious player. Do a Sukhoi Superjet and I see that setting Indian aerospace back by many years. Do it well and MWF has a flying start on the world market IMO.

Just my opinion, of course!

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Don't know what NRI or OCI are. Sorry.

Yes, I would like an extra player to US, France, UK (don't include Russia or China) to join the select group of high performance fighter manufacturers.

India has seemed reluctant to take the opportunity to outperform the major western producers in the 4G+ market. Potentially I see India as the best value, non-aligned (needs an independent engine) source of 4G+ aircraft. I have not checked but how many air forces in countries with limited budgets or which do not want to be subject to US political constraints need replacement light fighters in the next few years? I guess the number of airframes needed surpasses the Indian requirement.

I see Mk1A as the chance for India to become a serious player. Do a Sukhoi Superjet and I see that setting Indian aerospace back by many years. Do it well and MWF has a flying start on the world market IMO.

Just my opinion, of course!
Thanks mate , quite a good pov you have

Willy3

Country flag

Somewhere I read that Mikoyen offered us Mig 29 assembly and joint future development option in late 80s when our last Mig 21 roll out from HALs line.
If the above information is true, I think it was a missed opportunity, a good 200-250 nos of Mig 29 could kill the MMRCA problem we are facing now
Later around 2011, order of 120-140 Su 30mki/sm + roughly around this time another 5/6 squadron if Su 35/30 mki might solve the squadron/modernization problem we are facing right now .

Last edited:

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
Somewhere I read that Mikoyen offered us Mig 29 assembly and joint future development option in late 90s when our last Mig 21 roll out from HALs line.
If the above information is true, I think it was a missed opportunity, a good 200-250 nos of Mig 29 could kill the MMRCA problem we are facing now
Later around 2011, order of 120-140 Su 30mki/sm + roughly around this time another 5/6 squadron if Su 35/30 mki might solve the squadron/modernization problem we are facing right now .
Mig 29s are not the solution to the MMRCA problem. There is a serious lack of higher end EW capable aircraft with good ground attack capabilities in the IAF. The rafales provide a much needed edge on the combat field and focus should be in obtaining more of them. Sukhois and migs are not the only answer anymore.
As per current news, pentagon has approved a 6 year contract for ‘services’ to PAF F16s for ‘Electronic Warfare’ support. It is time to deepen strategic ties with France and obtain core access to EW technologies. Pentagon is also looking to sell F16 block 72s to Bangladesh. The arrival of higher end platforms close to India’s borders is a double edged sword. This all has ties to India proceeding to buy S400’s I believe. one can already visualize a thorn growing from Bangladesh as it gets more and more higher end weapons.

Willy3

Country flag
Mig 29s are not the solution to the MMRCA problem. There is a serious lack of higher end EW capable aircraft with good ground attack capabilities in the IAF. The rafales provide a much needed edge on the combat field and focus should be in obtaining more of them. Sukhois and migs are not the only answer anymore.
As per current news, pentagon has approved a 6 year contract for ‘services’ to PAF F16s for ‘Electronic Warfare’ support. It is time to deepen strategic ties with France and obtain core access to EW technologies. Pentagon is also looking to sell F16 block 72s to Bangladesh. The arrival is higher end platforms close to India’s borders is a double edged sword.
You get it wrong, I am not talking about current scenario but an alternative one where we make a deal with Mikoyen in late 80s for production of mig 29.

My assessment is by assuming that the Mig with a heavy chunk of order from us would avoid decay in post Soviet 90s.
Like Su 30 mki we could have integrated indigenous, french, Israeli subsystem, with renewed interest Kilmov might make a far better version of RD33 mk etc...may be we got an UPG level satisfaction with Mig 29 fleet even in early 2000s.

Ar.gaurav28

Country flag

India was too late to understand it’s requirements as it was the mirage 2000 which IAF & govt thought to acquire and till the time they could make up their mind france has already stopped the production of mirages!

mig29 are very good in every aspect except their engine the same smokey ones in junk fighter 17 and fc31/35 they aren’t reliable aswell this very year we lost a pilot flying mig29k...

ashdoc

Country flag
India was too late to understand it’s requirements as it was the mirage 2000 which IAF & govt thought to acquire and till the time they could make up their mind france has already stopped the production of mirages!

mig29 are very good in every aspect except their engine the same smokey ones in junk fighter 17 and fc31/35 they aren’t reliable aswell this very year we lost a pilot flying mig29k...
Vajpayee government was offered production of mirage 2000-5 in India but didn't take it . France had offered to shift entire mirage 2000 production line to India as it was shifting to rafale production but BJP thought that it will win 2004 election and then hold MRCA contest with rafale in it . Instead of only 36 rafales we could have had hundreds of mirage 2000s as our MRCA .

onlinpunit

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Yes mig29 upg is a very very capable fighter with a power ew suit , increased range with more fuel and in-flight refueling and more air to ground weaponary.

Almost all shortcomings of old mig29 are solved.

Similarly su30mki upgrade will make it beast
Biggest issues with Mig and Sukhoi are : Russian BVR ( the actual range is nothing to do with declared one).

Global Defence

New threads

Articles