LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

IndianHawk

Country flag
I read about potential 250 orders of Tejas Mk2, it's destined to be our back bone from 2040 once it's mass inducted.

Btw, regarding squadron shortage, UAE want to retire it's Mirage2000-5 , Egypt also have some 20 something mirage 2000, in total we can acquire 5 squadron in very short time, those jets are safer in design and well proven. We can give them a good MLU and carry them on to 40s when they would be phased out by Tejas Mk2 s
All those mirages are of different types and too old. Not gonna happen.

To arrest shortage 12 more su30 + 21 mig 29 are coming. Those 21 mig29 have airframe build already it just needs avionics upgrade to upg level. Price negotiation are ongoing.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Additional Mig29/Su-30MKI deal hasnt been signed yet, so its skeptical .
And pretty sure 3 Squadrons of Jaguars wont be retired anytime soon. They may "plan" to, but the plans will remain similar to the "plans" to retire Mig-21s.
I bet Jaguar retirement will hold till Tejas mk2 enters service and replaces an equal number, starting from the older non upgraded models to later the newer ones.
Additional mig29/ su30mki are definitely coming.
Since we are only upgrading 60 something Jaguar to Darin 3 rest will be retired much sooner.

Spitfire9

Country flag
Okay so can you actually point the source about why that user said that production of Mk1a will start from 2025? Or you are saying that by 2025 HAL will achieve the speed of 16-20 aircrafts per year?

If it's the former case, then can't just IAF order at least 2 more sqdn of FOC Tejas mk1? They can later keep upgrading them to mk1a std. but the priority if it is to fill the gaps and retire those bisons.

But from what I know and understood, mk1a will start its production by 2023 atmost 2024, so they can almost have one year of free line, considering they have completed the delivery of Flankers too ( though not sure about those additional orders of Flankers )...
It is too late to produce more Mk1's, isn't it?

If GOI decided to order more FOC today and it was all cleared, negotiated and finance arranged tomorrow, there would be long lead items (perhaps 12+ months?) to be produced plus the time for HAL to build the aircraft (another 12 months?). GOI would have needed to order more FOC some time ago. As it happens I spent years arguing for more to be ordered based on the line being free until Mk1A was actually ready for production. Did not happen.

Spitfire9

Country flag

To arrest shortage 12 more su30 + 21 mig 29 are coming. Those 21 mig29 have airframe build already it just needs avionics upgrade to upg level. Price negotiation are ongoing.
How long before the MiG-29's are delivered to the IAF? I recall reading that they have been in storage for years. Have the airframes deteriorated, needing extra work?

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
How long before the MiG-29's are delivered to the IAF? I recall reading that they have been in storage for years. Have the airframes deteriorated, needing extra work?
Not much , and not long enough they were made some 2 3 years back

Spitfire9

Country flag
Is this true - 58 MiG-21's crashed 2003 to now?

I am very surprised that GOI did not make Tejas production a real priority (invest to get production capacity up then insist that aircraft actually get built - heads of failing personnel rolling where required). Training pilots and then putting them in aircraft much more likely to crash (quite a few MiG-21 crashes versus zero Tejas crashes) when a lot more Tejas could have been produced in the last 10 years makes no sense to me. It seems to me that the inertia of GOI has resulted in numerous avoidable pilot deaths.

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag

I am very surprised that GOI did not make Tejas production a real priority (invest to get production capacity up then insist that aircraft actually get built - heads of failing personnel rolling where required). Training pilots and then putting them in aircraft much more likely to crash (quite a few MiG-21 crashes versus zero Tejas crashes) when a lot more Tejas could have been produced in the last 10 years makes no sense to me. It seems to me that the inertia of GOI has resulted in numerous avoidable pilot deaths.
You think Deaths matter to Babus, they don't give a flying Fuk as long as they get their pockets filled, gripen lobby, m777 lobby, what the fuck ever lobby
All lobbies exist for the sole reason to fuck us in the arse
As long as they've got Jingoistic commoners behind them who won't critic anything related to armed forces they've already won

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag

And that's the reason for our enormous hate for previous government , they just freezed everything , under 1999 -2004 government of atal ji , we saw tehas fly and it was all set to be inducted but , government change froze it , it gained momentum under late manohar parrikar , a person who can't be hated , he gave us rafale deal and tejas roadblock clearance .

Wait for tejas saga to gain momentum.

Lift
Mk1a
Mk 2

Willy3

Country flag

It's surprising that Mig claimed that they managed to have 'only 21" spare airframe, I thought they probably have 100s of them which was cancelled midway during breaking up of USSR.
Another 42-44 other than those 21 aircraft could be a very strong force multiplier.

Btw.. how many aircrafts each squadron have ?
With 69 jets we have 3 Mig 29 sqd while we have 3 sqd of mirage 2000 with < 50 jets.

IndianHawk

Country flag
It's surprising that Mig claimed that they managed to have 'only 21" spare airframe, I thought they probably have 100s of them which was cancelled midway during breaking up of USSR.
Another 42-44 other than those 21 aircraft could be a very strong force multiplier.

With 69 jets we have 3 Mig 29 sqd while we have 3 sqd of mirage 2000 with < 50 jets.
Mig may have more airframe. IAF team visited the place and found 21 airframe which are in robust condition and fit for upgrade. So 21 is what we are procuring.

Most squadron are 18 jets . Sometimes 20. I'm not sure. Few jets go to tacde for tactics. Few are in reserve.

omaebakabaka

I think IAF squad size used to be 18 for frontline ones.....lot of frames in Russia were exposed to elements during 90's and 2000's and some were sold to countries like BD....why not go for mig-35 if we are desperate for numbers and try to get it at the same cost?

IndianHawk

Country flag
The airframe were stored as soon as they were build . 21 we selected are in robust condition.
Only extra work is to upgrade them to current upg standard with in-flight refueling , d29 ew suite and new avionics.

They should be available within 1.5-2 years of singing the deal.

Willy3

Country flag
I think IAF squad size used to be 18 for frontline ones.....lot of frames in Russia were exposed to elements during 90's and 2000's and some were sold to countries like BD....why not go for mig-35 if we are desperate for numbers and try to get it at the same cost?
Heard that Mig 35 is too expensive for a medium weight fighter and Mig 29 m2/smt could very well do 80% of its job in much lesser price.

Also Mig 35 wasn't fully mature even in 2020, just recently Mig finally claimed that now "it's fully production ready", a full decade behind the schedule.

omaebakabaka

Heard that Mig 35 is too expensive for a medium weight fighter and Mig 29 m2/smt could very well do 80% of its job in much lesser price.

Also Mig 35 wasn't fully mature even in 2020, just recently Mig finally claimed that now "it's fully production ready", a full decade behind the schedule.
Ya, no one really knows how much of mig-35 program is mud slinging but evidently host country has not enthusiastically adopted this fighter in numbers yet but I don't think we should buy 2nd hand exposed frames unless its real emergency for IAF.....mig-35 is same as mig-29 aero wise with difference in avionics and performance and some other things like radar....

Willy3

Country flag
Ya, no one really knows how much of mig-35 program is mud slinging but evidently host country has not enthusiastically adopted this fighter in numbers yet but I don't think we should buy 2nd hand exposed frames unless its real emergency for IAF.....mig-35 is same as mig-29 aero wise with difference in avionics and performance and some other things like radar....
As Indian hawk said, those 21 are best of the bunch, so they must be in good enough condition to be upgraded.

Also, they aren't meant for 30-40 years of service, they will phase out like other UPGs in early 2040s, either by MWF or AMCA

Those Mig 29 are just for filling up our squadron numbers so quality isn't the main parameter but how fast they are available and how Cheep they are.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles