LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Ar.gaurav28

Country flag
Jags were offered they were twin engine and good replacement for Marut which the politician decided to dump for Jags.
Just a slight correction as Marut was a political project more than IAF request & it failed due to it’s underpowered engines & bureaucracy & mismanagement !
It continues till date...
USA testing it’s engines first for the 6th gen fighter, we build it around the engine whereas still JV b/w RR & DRDO ambiguous!

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Just a slight correction as Marut was a political project more than IAF request & it failed due to it’s underpowered engines & bureaucracy & mismanagement !
USA testing it’s engines first for the 6th gen fighter, we build it around the engine whereas still JV b/w RR & DRDO ambiguous!
Details being worked out means not ambiguous but more of all preliminary work is done

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
??? What mean medium agility? These data is given with what respective speed and altitude of target and fighter?
There are too many missing datas to give a proper answer.
Not for tejas ,but for mig 29

Ar.gaurav28

Country flag
The M2000 line was closed in 2007....
Reply was in context to rafale being in mmrca in 2004!
whereas after Kargil war it took 8 years for them(govt&IAF) to finalise their requirements thus very same year production lines got shut, govt released that tender i think it was aug2007!

Ar.gaurav28

Country flag
Details being worked out means not ambiguous but more of all preliminary work is done
But as we say in our business if things aren’t written & signed the deal isn’t through!!
without the engine all ADAs platforms are useless...GE engines spares & maintenance could be stopped anytime by USA!

Flying Dagger

Country flag
And why do you think money wasn't spent to develop or fund project to get high-powered engines for Marut ?

They were being planned to be dumped for a new fighter jet.

IndianHawk

Country flag
The M2000 line was closed in 2007....
2007 - 1999 = 8 years. Indian govt made a huge error not to order some more, and specially not to purchase the M2000 line as suggested by Dassault... It was ignored to save the Tejas & HAL cases.
Just imagine IAF now with 150 M2000-5 ....
Tejas has nothing to with mrca. Both are separate categories. Mirage wasn't bought because of single vendor situation and then defence minister of afraid of corruption charges after coffins scam.

Spitfire9

Country flag
Marut was underpowered. There was a possible fix - RR offered to develop a more powerful engine but that offer was declined. India went down a different route - co-operation with Egypt to get a suitable engine. The engine being developed for the HA-300 was a 10,000lb+ thrust afterburning engine. Unfortunately for India, Egypt abandoned its Helwan light interceptor project for which the engine was designed.

The new engine underwent bench testing in 1963, and was flight tested under the wing of an Antonov An-12, before being installed in a HAL HF-24 Marut for high speed testing, in which form it flew on 29 March 1967.

Saichand K

Country flag
So Tejas is cleared for firing Derby missile or I-Derby-ER? Also, is IDerby-ER comparable with AIM 120C-5?

MirageBlue

Country flag
So Tejas is cleared for firing Derby missile or I-Derby-ER? Also, is IDerby-ER comparable with AIM 120C-5?
As per Janes, it was the I-Derby-ER that was fired. As per the official PTI report, it was a series of test firings of "enhanced capabilities" Derby BVRAAM, which most people think points to the I-Derby ER.

I-Derby ER is a dual pulse BVRAAM with a max range just north of 100 km. Very much in the AMRAAM C5 ballpark. Also has a new software defined radio seeker that replaces the older seeker on the Derby and new guidance algorithms.

All the details you need on the I-Derby ER.

article link

Rafael’s Derby active-radar air-to-air missile has been in service since 1998 and is in operational service with six customers. To keep the missile capable of meeting current and future threats, Rafael has undertaken two major upgrades that not only improve seeker performance, but greatly increased range capability.

As a first step Rafael (Static A8) developed the I-Derby with an all-new seeker head and guidance package. The package is more flexible than the previous unit, with a better ability to control the waveform. Its electronic counter-countermeasures performance is improved, a necessary step to match and stay ahead of advances in electronic warfare systems. At the same time, the seeker retains the “lock-on before launch” function that gives the Derby a short-range “fire and forget” capability, in which the missile’s seeker head can be slaved to the pilot’s helmet display for close-in dogfighting.

I-Derby’s seeker/guidance package employs solid-state technology so that physical size and weight has been reduced. At the same time Rafael replaced the large proximity fuse fitted to the original missile with a much smaller RF-based fuse located at the base of the seeker’s radome.

Taken together, these enhancements have freed up considerable volume internally for the fitment of a larger propulsion system, resulting in the I-Derby ER. Rather than just increase the amount of propellant carried, Rafael opted for a dual-pulse motor. The initial launch pulse is similar to that of the original Derby, but a second pulse can now be fired at a time dictated by the missile’s flight control system, which detects when the weapon is running out of energy. Firing the second pulse is normally undertaken shortly before intercept, greatly increasing the missile’s maneuvering energy in the end-game as a means of expanding its no-escape zone.

At the same time, the I-Derby ER’s range is increased to more than 60 miles, placing it into the long-range category and allowing it to better exploit the greater capabilities being introduced by modern fighter radars. The missile is also completely interchangeable with the Derby used in Rafael’s Spyder-SR ground-based air defense system. Theoretically, I-Derby ER could also be adapted with a booster motor as used by the current Spyder-MR system, although Rafael sees little operational need for such a long-ranged system.

I-Derby ER was first unveiled at Aero India in February. Rafael is switching production over to the new version and, while the company remains coy about development status, insists that it will be available to customers within a typical missile order-to-delivery period of around two years. The company has identified at least five potential customers who are looking for a 60-mile long-range air-to-air missile.
Since Rafael is switching over production to the I-Derby ER, if any additional orders for Derby missiles for SpyDer or Tejas Mk1/Mk1A were to be placed, they would be for the I-Derby ER only and not the older Derby BVRAAM.

That kind of confirms to me that what was tested off the coast of Goa a month ago from Tejas Mk1 was the I-Derby ER.

IndianHawk

Country flag
I Derby er is far superior to aim120c5 . It has dual pulse motor which provides it far more energy for tha end game. It is even better than aim120d which usa has refused pakistan till now.

Our Astra mk2 will be also dual pulse with range of 160km.

Saichand K

Country flag
As per Janes, it was the I-Derby-ER that was fired. As per the official PTI report, it was a series of test firings of "enhanced capabilities" Derby BVRAAM, which most people think points to the I-Derby ER.

I-Derby ER is a dual pulse BVRAAM with a max range just north of 100 km. Very much in the AMRAAM C5 ballpark. Also has a new software defined radio seeker that replaces the older seeker on the Derby and new guidance algorithms.

All the details you need on the I-Derby ER.

article link

Since Rafael is switching over production to the I-Derby ER, if any additional orders for Derby missiles for SpyDer or Tejas Mk1/Mk1A were to be placed, they would be for the I-Derby ER only and not the older Derby BVRAAM.

That kind of confirms to me that what was tested off the coast of Goa a month ago from Tejas Mk1 was the I-Derby ER.
So which means even FOC variants have solid BVR capability and are ready for Border airbase deployment.

MirageBlue

Country flag
So which means even FOC variants have solid BVR capability and are ready for Border airbase deployment.
It should be a capability available even with the IOC Tejas Mk1s. All of it is software related, the differences between IOC and FOC to allow for BVR capability.

omaebakabaka

I Derby er is far superior to aim120c5 . It has dual pulse motor which provides it far more energy for tha end game. It is even better than aim120d which usa has refused pakistan till now.

Our Astra mk2 will be also dual pulse with range of 160km.
Yet we buy atgm from abroad, I don't what to believe, its total shit show to understand.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Yet we buy atgm from abroad, I don't what to believe, its total shit show to understand.
Our atgm program has faced challenges before. Air to air missile progresses because foreigners refused to integrate latest with our jets.

We have done rather well when we have been denied technology.

Anyway atgm are back on track with nag ready now and other atgm too in works include helina and sant.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles