Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant

SPIEZ

Country flag
First of all JJ has promised power that was one of the reasons she was elected into in the first place. Make or break situation in TN politics this time because the next political leader in the making will be decided, and JJ can't let another competition(VJYKNTH) crop up for her.

But when the need comes you ll see the other side of JJ, right now I m guessing she is letting the centernsweat over the issue. That's why she hasn't raised the bar yet.

Tolaha

But when the need comes you ll see the other side of JJ, right now I m guessing she is letting the centernsweat over the issue. That's why she hasn't raised the bar yet.
PM gets blamed for being silent, for not responding to matters that need to be addressed!

TN CM gets praised for doing nothing! Its all part of the master plan you see! :scared1:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Music to my ears!! These corporate-political-funded-NGOs need to be scrapped first for development. Can't believe this government actually did something good for once. I hope Human Rights terrorists are next.

SPIEZ

Country flag
PM gets blamed for being silent, for not responding to matters that need to be addressed!

TN CM gets praised for doing nothing! Its all part of the master plan you see! :scared1:
I see you have a better view of the things. Why don't you go ahead blamming everyone ????????????

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Anti-Kudankulam stir may be aimed at scuttling nuclear programme, feel experts

Two of the country's top nuclear power experts on Monday hinted that the anti-Kudankulam nuclear power plant agitation was aimed at scuttling India's three-stage nuclear power programme.

Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited's Chairman and Managing Director S.K. Jain and Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) Chairman Srikumar Banerjee said that even after all the queries on safety, quality, health and other aspects were answered by experts, people were asking questions about reprocessing of fuel which had nothing to do with the Kudankulam plant. They were talking to journalists on the sidelines of an international conference on 'Characterisation and Quality Control of Nuclear Fuels (CQCNF-2012)' here.

Dr. Jain said the construction at Kudankulam had been going on smoothly in harmony with local neighbourhood since March 31, 2002. Post-Fukushima almost everything was settled in Kudankulam after experts made submissions. "How come Fukushima resurfaced in September? The agitation started with fears about safety and now people are talking about 'no nuclear power.'"

In the past few weeks there was no word about nuclear safety. Questions were about reprocessing and the second stage (of the nuclear programme) where plutonium would be produced for Fast Breeder Reactor and that was "under attack." Stating that India wanted to be world leader in taking nuclear technology to the thorium reactor, he said so far nuclear technology had been the domain of a few rich countries.

He said what was there in Kudankulam today was the so-called international green activists and lobbyists, with of course some elements of local politics.

Mr. Banerjee said that from safety the questions were now diverted to a totally different area of reprocessing of spent fuel while Kudankulam was not going to have a reprocessing plant.

He said the schedule of making operational the first and second units of 1,000 MW was not in their hands as they were able to take inside the plant only 80 people in two shifts while the requirement was 3,000. Only for maintenance, 500 people were required.

The Tamil Nadu government was requested to facilitate entry of NPCIL personnel into the plant and make it ready for commissioning. Within two months of the zero date, the plant would be ready for loading the fuel. "We didn't get any reply so far [from the State government]," he said.

On plans to augment nuclear power, he said that it was proposed to increase nuclear power generation to 63,000 MW by 2032 with about 35,000-40,000 MW of that capacity through imported reactors.

Dr. Jain said sites were being identified for establishing 20 nuclear power reactors in the next five years at a cost of Rs. 3 lakh crore. NPCIL was in talks with various financial institutions as also the LIC for part financing the investments for new reactors.

Plant at Kovvada

Replying to a question on the setting up of nuclear power plant at Kovvada in Srikakulam district of Andhra Pradesh, he said local people's fears had been allayed after NPCIL launched outreach activities. He said the NPCIL wanted to showcase Kovvada as a model of inclusive growth.

The Hindu : News / National : Anti-Kudankulam stir may be aimed at scuttling nuclear programme, feel experts

KS

Bye bye DFI
Reading through this thread, I can see people's knowledge on TN and it's politics is seriously lame.
And the funny part is they are not accepting it, for the sake of the all-important online dignity. :lol:

KS

Bye bye DFI
first there are ample news reports/blogs by Mr. Bharat Karnad posted which clearly shows that state government is doing nothing to solve the issue, as simple as that. Or you are trying to say that is wrong too.
Are you even reading what I am writing ?

WHat can the State possible do unless the Home Ministry which has the powers to de-recognize the NGOs and thus making their activities illegal has not acted ?

Unless the MHA cracked the whip, the people who were protesting were just exercising their constituional rights to protest, however wrong they may be morally.

Does this means state government has no duty? Are you trying to justify the charade in the name of rights.
Blame the constitution which guarentees them the right to protest.

You have problem with how this forum is run? Then don't whine here.
Am I saying something wrong ? I think many in the management have already reiterated that this is not a democratic forum. I'm just repeating their words.

There is nothing to answer in your so called questions,
Because you cant. I can see through that.

either the TN people want the nuclear power plant or not?
There is no homogenous "TN people". People in the vicinity of the plant may not want it and people 500 km away may want it. And both are "TN people". SO your question is stupid.

. But it again raises the question, what these people were doing till the time the plant was about to get commissioned. Or if TN people want the plant to come up, then what is stopping the government to stop this charade.
Blame Fukushima disaster for the renewal of the protests. Call it bad luck or bad timing. State Govt cant use force to disperse the protestors unless they indulge in violence, arson or public property destruction. These protestors by and large did not indulge in any of the above , were peaceful and the State Govt was constituitionally bound not to do anything.

I feel like I'm talking to a wall. Seriously.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Seriously, I don't want 2 hour power cut, whats taking J so much time ? :confused2:

pankaj nema

Country flag
If Jayalalita had really wanted then all these protests would have fizzled out in days

She was just trying to get some funds such as an economic package which would THEN have
translated into political mileage for her

She wanted to prove that he is a better CM by getting money from the Centre which the earlier
DMK govt could not do so

This sudden power shortage and the impending summer season have all foiled Jayalalita's stupid plans

pankaj nema

Country flag
This Kudunkulam protests have done at least TWO GOOD things

1. It has exposed the sheer Hypocricy and oppurtunistic nature of these regional leaders like Jayalaita who
are always projecting themselves as the real benefactors of the people

2..And MORE importantly it has exposed the role of these evil and anti national foreign funded NGOs

KS

Bye bye DFI
This Kudunkulam protests have done at least TWO GOOD things

1. It has exposed the sheer Hypocricy and oppurtunistic nature of these regional leaders like Jayalaita who
are always projecting themselves as the real benefactors of the people
Really ? ..:facepalm:

After hearing Ramayan the whole night, you ask how is Sita related to Rama.

2..And MORE importantly it has exposed the role of these evil and anti national foreign funded NGOs
Agreed.

KS

Bye bye DFI
If Jayalalita had really wanted then all these protests would have fizzled out in days
She did that the last time and that cost her the power. She is not stupid enough to do that again.

Moreover it is unlawful for using force against protestors if they are not indulging in any violence.

pankaj nema

Country flag
She did that the last time and that cost her the power. She is not stupid enough to do that again.

Moreover it is unlawful for using force against protestors if they are not indulging in any violence.
No there are plenty of ways to allow protests in a small calibrated manner and also allow the
CONTINUATION of the project work

WHy are you so passionately defending Jayalalita

Infact if you are really well acquainted with her ( it appears that you are close to her )
she or her secretary will definitely tell you that she was just driving a hard bargain

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
[MOD Edit: Personal attack. You are warned here ]

I said TN and it's politics.
Politics is done based on popular sentiment, so TN people does not want nuclear power?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
We are not responsible for the actions of the state govt, just like you for yours or we for our nations.
Sorry, I am not getting what you are trying to convey, can you please elaborate

SPIEZ

Country flag
Politics is done based on popular sentiment, so TN people does not want nuclear power?

Politics is done on popular sentiment, but only when it's time for the elections. For eg: reservations.

Sorry, I am not getting what you are trying to convey, can you please elaborate
I m saying that as induviduals we are not responsible for the policies and actions of the government are we, neither you nor I have a say in what the politicians will do.

SPIEZ

Country flag

She was just trying to get some funds such as an economic package which would THEN have
translated into political mileage for her
Yes, because all state governments depend upon the center for the mobilizations of their funds.
She wanted to prove that he is a better CM by getting money from the Centre which the earlier
DMK govt could not do so
How do you think DMk managed to give so many freebies.

This sudden power shortage and the impending summer season have all foiled Jayalalita's stupid plans
Power shortage has been there for the last 5 years, it's not sudden. Even we are not aware of JJ's plan, please do tell us what are her plans?

SPIEZ

Country flag
You know we have been hearing about UP and Bihar power being stolen and all not. In Fact TN State Electricity boards is in one of the worst state financially in India. It finds pride of place along with the BIMARU states.

http://www.firstpost.com/economy/wi...-hike-in-power-tariffs-every-year-133341.html
I have done an internship with the NTPC. TN maybe poorly managed, but still it recieves a 99% payback for it's electricity, All south Indian states holds that recoird for the past 50 years, most of the other states I don't have to tell you.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles