Know Your 'Rafale'

sgarg

oh.. please MLU applied each and every aircraft whether it's on front line or Last line

we have enough number of MiG 29 in our Fleet, no need of Mig 35 and No space for them in IAF, lets keep the Aircraft in RuAF Hangers, no single IAF personnel shown interests in Mig 35
so can we withdraw the Super sukhoi upgrade program .!! and buy another fresh Flanker from Russia for nothing .., why no words about Chini Su 35 deal
from here
How do you know so much about IAF? That you are comfortable making a statement on IAF's behalf!
You know where Mig-29 are deployed. Mig-29 is considered a frontline fighter in IAF service. This is possible only if the fighter has certain qualities.

I doubt Gripen has the specs to fulfil IAF's needs otherwise it would have qualified the technical evaluation in MMRCA tender.

sgarg

I don't know what you are trying to prove here, Just what I said Compared to Russian Planes, American and Westerns were better .

and @Casper says about you, and I know that from your first post here in DFI
How do you know? Prove your statement!

Last edited by a moderator:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Saurav Jha @SJha1618 · 6h 6 hours ago >>

* Comrades, there is an active lobby pushing the Gripen as a Mig-21 replacement by offering a 'Make in India' scheme. #DDBI.

* This lobby first came in wanting to improve the 'LCA' by providing aerodynamic data and other consultancy support in a hangar. #DDBI.

* Their case was that Gripen is v.similar to Tejas etc etc. Now they are even talking about 'Make in India'. # DDBI.

* The situation for the Tejas program far from being comfortable is actually Code Red. I realize this now. # DDBI.

* So worried is everybody about the need for aerodynamic refinement of the Tejas platform that it is being used by an opening by the G-lobby.

* G-lobby is proposing everything from 51 % in Mk-2, 100 % for G itself under MII. Now tell me will anybody do MII on no cost no commitment?

* The best way for Indian industry to actually upgrade itself is get its hands dirty producing homegrown systems not doing spoon fed bullshit.

==============
@ersakthivel, Its not the Swedish should be concern off, But Russians ..
This seems to be true,

It seems made in India is being made into bleed india.

it is absurd to consider another another single engine fighter in place of tejas.

I dont know why this govt is going down this road,

For LCA Tejas, it’s now about months, not decades - The Times of India

With well planted article like these.

When manohar parrikar said that it will be tejas "or some other single engined fighter", I guessed it is none other than gripen.

Now with officials considering another single engined fighter between the capability of tejas and rafale,(I am hundred percent sure that this is fake plant)
"Don't compare Rafale, a top-end fighter, to MiG-21s, which we will phase out in about six to 10 years. The replacement for MiG-21s will be Tejas or some other single-engine, lighter aircraft. Tejas ki maar bhi kaafi hai (Tejas packs a punch) and it's much better than a MiG-21, but has certain limitations," said Parrikar.

Though some interpreted this to mean impending doom for the Tejas project, a top official dismissed it by clarifying the government was "just keeping all options open" to make "numbers" with IAF down to just 34 fighter squadrons when 44 are needed. "There could be scope for a single-engine fighter, which would be much cheaper than Rafale, somewhere between the capabilities of Rafale and Tejas," he said.

brazilian deal with SAAB places gripen at over 100 million dollar per plane, is it justified for India to put that much amount when we have tejas?

If GOI can accept the cost they can straight away award Dassault the MMRCA ignoring higher prices , because it will at least give us much better plane than gripen at not too high an extra cost,

it is disgusting logic to induct gripen and rafale simultaneously using this foolish make in india pitch..

What is IAf a ready made shop?

Rafale is between su-30 MKI, and tejas
now gripen in between tejas and rafale,
and tomorrow will it be mig-35 in between gripen and rafale ???

it seems there are many "unnamed high officials " in defence ministry who are itching to get between the sheets with various foreign models?

And many "in between go to" guys are using this govt's penchant for fast decision to get lot of in between categories.

First they justified rafale deal as IAF needed a medium MRCA,

Now inventing another category is disgusting.

Saurav jha hinted a that move some time ago, with SAAB trying to pass of their gripen NG as "make in india".

Now it seems free for all,

Bharath karnard was prophetic about these new invented categories, now we will be the laughing stock of the world by turning IAF into a circus.

The fighter's final operational clearance (FOC), with integration of all weapons like guns, laser-guided bombs and BVR (beyond visual range) missiles as well mid-air refuelling capability, is likely to be delayed beyond the re-revised deadline of December 2015.

The Tejas Mark-II version which the IAF actually wants — with more powerful engines, airframe changes, weight and drag reduction — will begin to come in only by 2021 or so. So, Parrikar will need to do a lot of pushing if he wants swifter deliveries of the multi-role fighters.
As usual standards will always be different for indian products, they will buy rafale with ever setting their eyes on ASEA radar and meteor missile, but when it comes to tejas phased induction is out of question and there were reports that the reason for the delay was IAF rejected previous designs of composite radome and refuelling probe design given by Cobham.

It will be more interesting if some one goes into those reasons of rejections.Particulary for the refuelling probe this was the third attempt by cobham after IAF rejected first two designs.

It makes one thing sure, this NDA govt is still run by UPA mode , with UPA high officials.

They will buy thousands of T90s unfit to operate in indian dessert conditions with out even giving a trial but wont advance a single rupee for tejas even it has proven 95 percent of its capabilities in demanding indian hot conditions and cold conditions. Lot of people are making hay in the "make in India" sun shine.

The first 40 Su-30 MKI s which cost billions of dollars ,that spent a decade with IAF did not conform to SU-30 MKI standards and they were later exchanged for SU-30 MKI model once it was developed ,Many import lobbysts justified that by saying that IAF wanted to develop tactics for close combat with SU-30 susing those 40 fighters. And there were many sermons on why IAF will need 4 or 5 years to completely develop those dog fight tactics with every new plat form.

but when it comes to tejas so such steps are needed perhaps, They wont tough it without refueling probe!!! Cant IAf develop dog fight tactics for tejas mk1 with out those refueling probe?

You can count on rajat pandit and his DDM ilk to never ask such inconvenient quetions to any of those "un named defence ministry or IAF or Army officers".

Instead these guys will let out tons of lies like tejas can not fly without telemetry support, its brakes jam and what else not all quoting those ,"high and mighty unnamed IAF officials of course ".

Mirage-2000 spent years in IAF with nothing but a gun,

Even its much much acclaimed laser guided bombing (stating which many import dalals are pushing rafale!!!)of kargil had nothing to do with Dassault and a emergency work done by indians and Isaelis in fitting laser guidance kit to indian bombs. These import dalals are making out it is as if the Dassault CEO who landed in Srinagar airport with those LGBs in the nick of time to save tiger Hill

Rajat pandit and his ilk will never high light such inconvenient facts ever!!!!

" Incidentally, the original plan was that six squadrons each of MMRCA and Tejas would replace the existing 10 Mig-21 and four MiG-27 squadrons. Parrikar, on his part, said, "In the next four to five years, we can add about six LCA squadrons if we push HAL, which I am doing."
All is well with these kind of sentiments, But the moot point is whether HAL is being given the order numbers and resource needed to produce tejas quick?

last time we all heard HAL was going to Air force and navy with begging bowl for the money required to set up production line for tejas, with UPA MOD refusing to grant 1600 crore needed to set up the production line for tejas, becuase instituting a production line for just 40 tejas is not profitable.

HAL is ready to pour its own resources into HTT , but when it comes to tejas neither IAF, nor MOD, or HAL are ready to part with the money, Why?

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
How do you know so much about IAF? .That you are comfortable making a statement on IAF's behalf!
I never said like that, I know so much about IAF, during Kargil I was in my 4th Standard..!

You know where Mig-29 are deployed. Mig-29 is considered a frontline fighter in IAF service. This is possible only if the fighter has certain qualities.
did I ever said MiG 29 is not an front line Fighter, Mirage also in front lines, each bases have different kind of Fighters based upon the locations.

I doubt Gripen has the specs to fulfil IAF's needs otherwise it would have qualified the technical evaluation in MMRCA tender
I never said we need Gripen for IAF to replace vintage fighters

sgarg

I never said like that, I know so much about IAF, during Kargil I was in my 4th Standard..!
did I ever said MiG 29 is not an front line Fighter, Mirage also in front lines, each bases have different kind of Fighters based upon the locations.
I never said we need Gripen for IAF to replace vintage fighters
You are just a kid and a fanboy. Do I need to take you seriously!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Presstitutes will be Presstitutes, Couple of things that should be noted as well ..

Watch the vid posted, Note all the points he said and then compare to these point in progress >>

1. MK2 is near completion even before MK1`s first squadron is yet to be operational ..
2. HAL or No HAL, Government already looking for Pvt Ltd .. ( Source posted )
3. Government, Let it be previous or present are committed to Tejas .. ( Source posted )

Above all he said clearly of if Tejas MK2 is not available then only he country goes for an import, It make sense ..

Couple of things that said were incorrect before >>

[video]https://youtu.be/kbLJcQltaE0?t=116[/video]

1. DM said, MIG-21 will be replaced by Tejas and If not Tejas then other single engine fighter ( He did not mention any criteria or even name of MK2 or MK1 )

2. DM Said, If HAL can push MK2 in numbers the remaining 90 / 126 can be filled by MK2 besides filling the MIG-21 gap, If it fails the MK2 will be replacing the place of MIG-21 as planned in next 6-10 years. ( Rafale cannot replace MIG-21 but Tejas MK2 can replace rafale place )

2. DM was comparing Rafale with Tejas MK1, Stating Rafale has combat radius of 1000kms not ferry range, Tejas was not compared with other light fighters with range or payload .. ( He did not mention other fighter name but specs of Rafale with Tejas MK1 )

3. HAL is considered to be first choice to manufacture reaming Rafale if things get solved or else their will be other Pvt co ..

Will post more ..

sgarg

@ersakthivel, GOI has to be realistic. The defence minister knows more than you and me. He reads the files and meets the people in charge of various initiatives. If he says something, it means there are real issues.

For me, there are two things which stand out - 1. There are certain parameters which IAF is asking but Tejas cannot meet due to design limitations. 2. Slow production rate at HAL.

The above two problems are complicating the situation for the MOD.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
ALL those ranges have no detail about with what kind of weapon load, what kind of external fuel load, in which altitude and in what atmospheric temperature. SO we can not judge anything from them.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
@ersakthivel, GOI has to be realistic. The defence minister knows more than you and me. He reads the files and meets the people in charge of various initiatives. If he says something, it means there are real issues.

For me, there are two things which stand out - 1. There are certain parameters which IAF is asking but Tejas cannot meet due to design limitations. 2. Slow production rate at HAL.

The above two problems are complicating the situation for the MOD.
WHy is MOD letting HAL to beg NAVY and IAF fro 450 crore each to fund tejas production line?

How much extra man power and money was sanctioned to HAL in the last three years to speed up tejas?

Answer nothing.

Simply saying that HAL should shape up is foolish. GIve the money and then take it to task. ADA designs tejas , It is not HAL's primary responsibility. And just 40 tejas mk1 order is not going to make tejas a profitable proposition to sink money and experienced man power into it. thats why HAL asked for higher tejas order number to justify putting more money , which was flatly refused by IAF.
Then it turned to MOD to fund the full 1800 crore needed to set up production line for tejas mk1. MOD under UPA said No. Allocate 900 crore from your own funds and approach IAF and Navy for 450 crore each!!!

With this kind of logic it is lunatic to expect HAL to push tejas production.

Also in many key respects like radome dia, higher turn rates at supersonic speeds, typhoons excel rafale,

In ground bombing rafale excels typhoon.

So when both face off for a single tender will you do, will you buy 50 percent each of both the fighters? IS this what Germany,Sweeden , France ,England ,Italy and Spain are doing?

this tejas falls short of some specs is an old trick in the book to push for imports.

Considering the prices we can have three times the number of tejas for any imported fighter single or double engin not withstanding it you take into account total lifecycle and mid life upgrade cost.

SO how can you justify a 5 or 10 percent performance difference to buy one fighter in place of three fighters.

It was IAF which asked for a radome dia bigger than rafale and gripen in tejas. ADA accepted it.

it was IAf which asked ADA to fit tejas into mig-21 foot print.

IAF also periodically upgraded its requirements by issuing more than 250 requests for action to ADA, all but 12 are done.

Even in engine change now tejas can do it in two hours!!!

Now ADA is promising to deliver all the 36 of 40 tejas mk1s in FOC condition opposed to IAf order of 20 FOC and 20 IOC conditions.

So how can you justify the statement that due to lack of 5 or ten percentage points in one dept we should cut tejas numers ?

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Presstitutes will be Presstitutes, Couple of things that should be noted as well ..
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/prev...ence-minister-manohar-parrikar-to-ndtv-755006

NEW DELHI: Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has said that the decision to buy 126 fighter jets from France cleared by the previous Congress-led government, was not thought through properly. The purchase, he said, should not have been made through a global tender, but through a government to government deal.

"This is much a better deal," he said in an exclusive interview to NDTV, referring to India's new plan to buy 36 ready-to-fly Rafale jets from France's Dassault Aviation, announced last week by Prime Minster Narendra Modi.

RELATED
SpaceX Rocket Launch, Landing Test, Delayed by Weather
Iran Says Russian Decision on Missiles Can Help Stability
Any Future Rafale Jet Purchases Will be Government-to-Government, Says India
The Defence Minister indicated that the cost per jet would now be cheaper. Buying "126 (fighters) would cost India about Rs. 1 lakh crore. Can we spend so much money on a high-end fighter," Mr Parrikar asked, adding, "you don't agree to a 1 lakh crore deal" without working out how and from where the money will come."

About his predecessor, the Congress' AK Antony, the longest-serving Defence Minister the country has had, Mr Parrikar said, "There was hardly any supervision or control. A Defence Minister needs to monitor but that was hardly the case." He said the Modi government would now review acquisitions worth Rs. 5,40,000 crore cleared by the previous government.

The BJP government, the minister said, will first acquire only equipment and weapon systems that are critical for the three forces. "We are in the process of weeding out the rest."

India, said the minister, fast-tracked the purchase of 36 Rafale fighters - two squadrons - as the Indian Air Force desperately needed additional jets to plug critical gaps. The original agreement of 2012 to buy 126 jets, only 18 of them in fly-away condition, was stalled for three years over cost and a dispute over the assembly of the other 108 aircraft in India.

"I think we need to address this problem" Mr Parrikar said and suggested filling the gaps with more indigenous LCA or Light Combat Aircraft manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited. "Today we have only 40 LCAs, why can't we have 100 of these?" he said.

How many each of the Rafale and Tejas fighters will be deployed will depend on negotiations with the French government on any further purchase from Dassault, he said.

The government, Mr Parrikar said, wants a fighter jet manufacturer to set up a facility in India which "may not necessarily be Dassault."
Thanks for some clarity, Knowing the ways of DDM import dalals , they can even read between the lines of a cook book!!!!

Hope DM makes a proper decisions with interests of future indian mil aerospace industry in mind, Now with "urgent" Rafale needs of IAF , which would have taken so much of his time is taken care of, time for him to work on this front

They are more than capable of that.

We can expect lot of song and dance from them in the near future.

HAL is under MOD, It is DM's job to make sure what is needed is given to HAl, and hive off tejas production unit as one entity and appoint even a guy from foreign aerospace sector to make things happen, Nobody is going to stop him.

Or he can ask issue a tender on the lines of P-75 with close to 200 hundred confirmed orders for tejas mk2 (navy and IAF ) and let the ball roll, asking them to tap into the supplier network built by HAl or source from whomever they want.

in fact such a proposal was said to be on the cards. Only thing needed is to take IAf to ask ask them to straight away place 150 tejas mk2 orders.

If that is not done , then no private sector firm will put billions of dollars for just 83 tejas mk2 from IAF, Even HAL refused to put 1800 crore for tejas mk1 statign 40 tejas mk1 orders are unjustifiable for the money to be sunk in. Which private sector firm will do it?

Last edited:

sgarg

@ersakthivel, HAL should put its own money into Tejas line. Why? Because thats what every manufacturer does. In addition HAL should pay a royalty to ADA. Why? Because ADA holds the IPR.

HAL is NOT building Tejas for free. HAL gets paid for the aircrafts. HAL can always calculate Tejas price in such way that it takes all factors into consideration like cost of setting up factory and royalty cost. This is the only way HAL can become a respectable manufacturer.

Who says HAL does not have orders? HAL is building prototypes for which HAL gets paid. HAL also has orders for 40 IAF and 6 Navy production units. Counting prototypes and production units, the orders in hand may be around 55. This is not at all bad. In addition, 100 units of Mark-2 are assured. You cannot say that 150+ orders for a fighter aircraft is bad business proposition.

I think MOD is working on something to speed up production of LCA Tejas.

I doubt orders in one go is such a serious issue. orders can come in tranches.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
tejas in mk1 itself passed the test,

Now what about the news that four MMRCA contendrs failed high altitude leh test?

typhoons and rafale were short listed, SO they would have certainly passed the tests,

The other four contenders were, gripen,mig-35, F-16, Hornet and nothing else,

SO which among four passed the Leh test or not?

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
@ersakthivel, HAL should put its own money into Tejas line. Why? Because thats what every manufacturer does. In addition HAL should pay a royalty to ADA. Why? Because ADA holds the IPR.

HAL is NOT building Tejas for free. HAL gets paid for the aircrafts. HAL can always calculate Tejas price in such way that it takes all factors into consideration like cost of setting up factory and royalty cost. This is the only way HAL can become a respectable manufacturer.

SO why not IAF or GOI advance a 5 thousand crore to HAL as advance. They were ready to advance 18000 crore to Dassault for MMRCA production within three months of signing MMRCA deal.
Who says HAL does not have orders? HAL is building prototypes for which HAL gets paid. HAL also has orders for 40 IAF and 6 Navy production units. Counting prototypes and production units, the orders in hand may be around 55. This is not at all bad. In addition, 100 units of Mark-2 are assured. You cannot say that 150+ orders for a fighter aircraft is bad business proposition.
Mate, those prototypes were built in old useless jag production lines, with ADA chief crying hoarse that poor manufacturing quality of those lines has sapped off 6 percent of the aerodynamic efficiency in tejas LSPs.

If you look at the under wing side of most LSPs you can see a the finish as smooth as grandma's wrinkle face.

Not fit for a fully composite skinned RSS fly by wire fighter.

Only after IAF gave 40 orders HAL moved about setting a brand new production line for tejas mk1 with 0.8 micron fit.

The amount of profit made by HAL in building those LSPs may not much more than what a major private sector firm spends for charity!!!

WIth full order books for Su-30 MKI and ALH along with Hawk, If you are the HAL chief with govt breathing down your neck what will you do, Do charity for ADA?

IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CHAIR IN WHICH MANOHAR PARRIKAR SITS TO MAKE TEJA PRODUCTION FASTER.And No one else, because he is direct control of HAL
I think MOD is working on something to speed up production of LCA Tejas.

I doubt orders in one go is such a serious issue. orders can come in tranches.

If the french airforce gave orders in tranches Dassault would never have built production line for rafale.And SAAB for Gripen
Only God knows what MOD has been doing.

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/prev...ence-minister-manohar-parrikar-to-ndtv-755006

NEW DELHI: Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has said that the decision to buy 126 fighter jets from France cleared by the previous Congress-led government, was not thought through properly. The purchase, he said, should not have been made through a global tender, but through a government to government deal.

"This is much a better deal," he said in an exclusive interview to NDTV, referring to India's new plan to buy 36 ready-to-fly Rafale jets from France's Dassault Aviation, announced last week by Prime Minster Narendra Modi.

About his predecessor, the Congress' AK Antony, the longest-serving Defence Minister the country has had, Mr Parrikar said, "There was hardly any supervision or control. A Defence Minister needs to monitor but that was hardly the case." He said the Modi government would now review acquisitions worth Rs. 5,40,000 crore cleared by the previous government.

The BJP government, the minister said, will first acquire only equipment and weapon systems that are critical for the three forces. "We are in the process of weeding out the rest."

India, said the minister, fast-tracked the purchase of 36 Rafale fighters - two squadrons - as the Indian Air Force desperately needed additional jets to plug critical gaps. The original agreement of 2012 to buy 126 jets, only 18 of them in fly-away condition, was stalled for three years over cost and a dispute over the assembly of the other 108 aircraft in India.

"I think we need to address this problem" Mr Parrikar said and suggested filling the gaps with more indigenous LCA or Light Combat Aircraft manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited. "Today we have only 40 LCAs, why can't we have 100 of these?" he said.

How many each of the Rafale and Tejas fighters will be deployed will depend on negotiations with the French government on any further purchase from Dassault, he said.

The government, Mr Parrikar said, wants a fighter jet manufacturer to set up a facility in India which "may not necessarily be Dassault."
Till now we have not seen a single announcement from either NDA or UPA that we have fixed so and so responsible for producing 16 tejas an year with so and so thousands of crores of money sanctions.

if you know , give me the link, I will be happy that MOD has finally something useful on tejas.

Till now MOD line is untill IAF gives green light they will never move big on tejas. IAF will always say that what they want is tejas mk2 and not tejas mk1 and try to delay it and they will keep on increasing new requirement which will further delay it .

it is time DM sees through this crap and get IAf to give 200 plus orders for tejas which will justify either HAL or any other big private player investment in tejas mk1 and mk2.

nobody is batting for HAL here. point is tejas must be produced in high numbers in india at economical costs.

Tell me one global manufacturer who will set up a production line for just 40 tejas mk1 orders .

HAL unlike global biggies can not access financial markets on its own, neither can it raise massive debts like private listed firms.

What HAL does is directly under MOD control.

Without MOD sanction HAL can not make big 1000 crore investments and borrowings.

So it is the responsiblity of DM to hive of tejas production entity as different unit make much needed men power and financial resources to it. Certainly ADA neither has the authority nor the money to do it.

Lions Of Punjab

Country flag
Make in India: Rafale deal may take off as a joint venture between French and Indian firm

NEW DELHI: The government could ask France's Dassault Aviation to rope in an Indian partner to jointly manufacture the next batch of its Rafale fighters in the country as a condition for landing the remainder of the contract, a move it hopes will fulfil the 'Make in India' dimension that could not be met in its off-the-shelf purchase of 36 planes last week.

Sources familiar with the matter said there were initial discussions in the government on whether to press the French firm to sign up an Indian partner and form a joint venture company in which the local firm could own up to 51 per cent stake and this firm could execute the contract to supply the remaining planes.

The sources insisted that these were initial discussions and there was no certainty a final plan would have these contours.

The Indian partner, according to these discussions, would not be restricted to state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), potentially opening up the field for private players to step into the lucrative defence and aerospace business. A consortium approach, in which a group of Indian private companies come together with HAL to constitute the Indian ownership, was also being spoken of during these discussions, the sources said, adding that the entire plan was nebulous and could undergo major changes.

The matter will be taken forward after Prime Minister Narendra Modi returns from his foreign visit, the sources said. They requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

The selection of Dassault to supply 126 Rafale fighters to the Indian Air Force took place during the UPA regime in 2012, but the deal got bogged down by controversies and political indecision. After weeks of uncertainty and amid intense speculation that the BJPled administration could even cancel the contract, Modi, during a visit to France last week, pulled a surprise and signed the purchase of 36 planes off-the-shelf in a direct government-to-government deal, effectively junking the old UPA deal while retaining the vendor.

However, the official announcement last week made no mention about what happens to the remaining planes, prompting speculation in some quarters whether the government could look at fresh competitive bidding.

But sources said the thinking in South Block was that it did not make sense to buy planes from a new vendor as that would saddle the Air Force with a 'mix and match fleet' and having to operate multiple platforms, which was cumbersome and operationally inefficient. Besides a fresh competitive bidding scenario would take years, severely delaying the Indian Air Force's plans to raise its flying strength up to 42 fighter squadrons.

This will effectively rule out the possibility of fresh competitive bidding for the remaining contract, which was also indicated by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar on Monday when he said a government-to-government route was better to acquire strategic defence platforms rather than competitive, global bidding.

NUMBER COULD BE REVISITED

Sources said that while the original requirement of 126 fighters for the air force stands, this number could be revisited in the coming days after a reassessment. A higher number of planes could encourage the French side, which could otherwise have reservations on ceding the controlling stake in the Indian joint venture, to set up a production base for the jets. Such an approach could counter criticism that the new Rafale deal does not give much to India in terms of technology transfer and production capabilities. Going about the remainder of the contract though the joint venture route could give the Indian private sector a chance to partake of the government's defence spending and develop manufacturing expertise in an area that has largely been the preserve of staterun firms.

The scrapping of the old Rafale deal, along with the cancellations of similar projects, is an indication that the L1, or lowest bidder based competitive bidding process, which was initiated by the UPA regime is on the way out. Some defence experts say the lengthy process of global competition has led to the stalling of many critical military acquisitions after these got bogged down by accusations of manipulations in testing or discrepancies in commercial proposals.

Officials also say that the view within the government is that the L1 system - choosing the cheapest product after it passes the basic technical evaluation - is not ideally suited to acquiring strategic and cutting edge systems for the military.

While the L1 process was promoted by the UPA government, most military acquisition plans did not see the light of day under the process. These include two attempts to buy light helicopters for the army, a proposal to purchase aerial refuelers for the air force and plans to acquire much-needed artillery systems.

The trend to cancel or do away with projects under competitive bidding continues with the NDA government with the cancelling of the light helicopter contract last year that saw Eurocopter and Kamov making it to the final zone. Most mega projects cleared by the UPA - C-17 transporters, P-8I planes for the Navy, C-130J special operations aircraft - were government-to-government purchases.

The last large tender cleared by competitive bidding was to purchase trainer aircraft from Swiss firm Pilatus in 2012. However, that too ran into trouble as the BJP government reduced the order and gave a large chunk of it to HAL.

Make in India: Rafale deal may take off as a joint venture between French and Indian firm - The Economic Times

Last edited:

grampiguy

Only God knows what MOD has been doing.

Previous Government Did Not Think the Rafale Jet Deal Through: Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to NDTV

Till now we have not seen a single announcement from either NDA or UPA that we have fixed so and so responsible for producing 16 tejas an year with so and so thousands of crores of money sanctions.

if you know , give me the link, I will be happy that MOD has finally something useful on tejas................
All justifications in the favour of indigenous production are fine. However, the fact is that LCA Tejas received its IOC-2 on 20 December 2013. At the time of IOC-2, it had firm order for 20 aircraft and 16 trainers. An additional 20 aircraft were to be produced after the FOC. Now, it is April 2015 -- i.e. - 16-17 months after the IOC-2. But all I can see is one LCA SP-1 has been produced and handed over.

What is wrong with HAL then? It is one (1) aircraft produced in almost two years. Calling it incompetence and pure criminal behaviour will be actually complement to HAL here. Do they even want to be in indigenous production business or they are happy doing Russian license screwdriver production? What kind of people work there ? There is need for a major technical and personnel audit of that company with consequent massive retrenchment for bringing that company to 21st century.

sgarg

@grampiguy, the problem with HAL is that it wants to work as a department of MOD rather than as an aviation company.

If it was an aviation company, it would lobby for selling its products not only in India but overseas. Why is LCA Tejas limited to IAF. Why HAL is not marketing overseas? A production line for 20+ tejas is in the interest of HAL as it makes it a serious aviation company. Designing and producing a fighter aircraft is prestigious compared to screw driver projects that HAL has taken up in the past.

What is investment of 3000-4000 crore for a company size of HAL. A private company will be very keen to invest 2-3 billion if GOI can change its procurement rules which currently favour MOD owned public sector.

The fact is HAL lives on government support. It has become used to good life on free money.

sgarg

If HAL cannot build LCA (a light fighter) that what is that it can?? It seems HAL is just hot air. What are HAL's core capabilities??

HAL is lagging so much in production technology as well as production capacity - no doubt it cannot deliver any item it is given.

The turnover looks good ONLY due to Su-30 project, else HAL will not even register on global scene.

This is the misfortune of India that we have such short-sightedness in our country. People are playing with national defence.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles