Know Your 'Rafale'

omaebakabaka

No special datas.
I just said that AASM Hammer has a range of 15km when fired at very low altitude (and 60+km or slightly more in high altitude) because I though it was a low altitude raid.
70km is out of the GBU possibility. and far too small for SCALP. ie it is probably AASM that was used from high altitude.
As Turkish don't really know what happend + Weapons fired from 70Km => SPECTRA was very effective. isn't it ?
Turkish radars suck....everyone knows that.

omaebakabaka

NATO will not accept chinese radars. See how USA react to the S400 purchase.
Correct, for their little ISIS operations....it changes hands via 3rd countries. Euro radars would be a walk for French to bomb....Nato bombing Nato then?

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
I also hope that India and France go ahead and work out an arrangement for additional Rafales for the Air Force. Maybe the total figure could be even 126 the old MMRCA estimate. But
1.The French should manufacture the Rafales in India. If it is at the Reliance - Dassault factory OK.
2.Some substantial technology transfer should take place preferably jet engine technology including hot core technology. This will be tricky as they will resist. But some new technology which India does not have should be transferred. Simply doing screwdriver assembly would be an insult to Indians.
3.The French need to be sincere and help India climb the technology curve in aerospace. They did help us in launch vehicle technology with their Viking or Vikas engine.

The Rafale is a good 4.5 gen plane and outclasses the Pak Block 52 F16 what with its AESA radar and Meteor missiles. All the Flanker varients used by China fall behind the Rafale. The J20 is a bogeyman. Nobody knows how good it is. The number of J20 is still very limited. Almost 98% of the PLAAF cannot match the Rafale. So the Rafale can handle the threat from Pakistan and China.

It is expensive no doubt. But I think India of today with foreign exchange reserves greater than 500 billion US dollars can afford it. I feel that after the import and local manufacture of Rafales no foreign fighter should be imported. Our own proposed LCA mk2 or the MWF will fill the slot visualised for the single engine F16, Gripen etc. It's development should be accelerated.

An emergency procurement of foreign single engine fighters can only be visualised if there is an all out war with China and we need urgent replacements.

The Americans should be happy that we would be using US engines for the LCA and the MWF.
Of course the lack of an indigenous Kaveri turbofan is a reminder of our insufficient efforts in this field. We need to succeed.

There is no need for the Second MMRCA fighter acquisition program of 114 planes
if a good Rafale deal can be sealed.
I support the Rafale for the Naval Aircraft Carrier fighter requirement if the Rafale can indeed fly from our aircraft carriers. Buying the F18 will mean more costs. As the Air Force already flies Rafales maintenance costs will be less vis-a-vis the F18.

It should be our long term objective to develop and manufacture in India all future fighter aircraft and cut imports to zero.
The Chinese developed fighter aircrafts are under-powered for their own AESA radars according to some youtuber analysis :-

Echelon Four

Anyone aware of the number of Meteor, Storm shadow & Alarm missiles included in the deal?

According to prasun sengupta its 60 x storm shadow &&& 150 x meteor

Flying Dagger

Country flag
I also hope that India and France go ahead and work out an arrangement for additional Rafales for the Air Force. Maybe the total figure could be even 126 the old MMRCA estimate. But
1.The French should manufacture the Rafales in India. If it is at the Reliance - Dassault factory OK.
2.Some substantial technology transfer should take place preferably jet engine technology including hot core technology. This will be tricky as they will resist. But some new technology which India does not have should be transferred. Simply doing screwdriver assembly would be an insult to Indians.
3.The French need to be sincere and help India climb the technology curve in aerospace. They did help us in launch vehicle technology with their Viking or Vikas engine.

The Rafale is a good 4.5 gen plane and outclasses the Pak Block 52 F16 what with its AESA radar and Meteor missiles. All the Flanker varients used by China fall behind the Rafale. The J20 is a bogeyman. Nobody knows how good it is. The number of J20 is still very limited. Almost 98% of the PLAAF cannot match the Rafale. So the Rafale can handle the threat from Pakistan and China.

It is expensive no doubt. But I think India of today with foreign exchange reserves greater than 500 billion US dollars can afford it. I feel that after the import and local manufacture of Rafales no foreign fighter should be imported. Our own proposed LCA mk2 or the MWF will fill the slot visualised for the single engine F16, Gripen etc. It's development should be accelerated.

An emergency procurement of foreign single engine fighters can only be visualised if there is an all out war with China and we need urgent replacements.

The Americans should be happy that we would be using US engines for the LCA and the MWF.
Of course the lack of an indigenous Kaveri turbofan is a reminder of our insufficient efforts in this field. We need to succeed.

There is no need for the Second MMRCA fighter acquisition program of 114 planes
if a good Rafale deal can be sealed.
I support the Rafale for the Naval Aircraft Carrier fighter requirement if the Rafale can indeed fly from our aircraft carriers. Buying the F18 will mean more costs. As the Air Force already flies Rafales maintenance costs will be less vis-a-vis the F18.

It should be our long term objective to develop and manufacture in India all future fighter aircraft and cut imports to zero.
Over all F 18 is cheaper. American jets have longer airframe life in comparison to European. Add interoperability with Quad and most important you will have a robust American supply line to back you up. It's the politics which is an issue though Rest Babu log will decide.

BON PLAN

-*-
Country flag
Correct, for their little ISIS operations....it changes hands via 3rd countries. Euro radars would be a walk for French to bomb....Nato bombing Nato then?
The Erdogan's Turkey is becoming fool.
It will NEVER be integrated in EU.
There are more and more pressure from europeans country... Remaining in NATO is a challenge.

It's 95% sure that this was french Rafale that bombed an airbase in Lybia occupied by Turkish troops.

BON PLAN

-*-
Country flag
Over all F 18 is cheaper. American jets have longer airframe life in comparison to European. Add interoperability with Quad and most important you will have a robust American supply line to back you up. It's the politics which is an issue though Rest Babu log will decide.
F18 is 15% cheaper.
Rafale disponibility is higher
Rafale load and range are higher
Interoperability : Rafale is fully NATO compatible. It is possible to adapt AMRAAM, AIM9X, Harpoon, AARGM.... the problem is not technically, it is financially.
American supply : good by Make in India ! And ask Egyptian and UAE if they were free to use their F16 in Lydia in 2011.....
So indeed, it's just a political and independance choice. but what a choice !

Articles