Know Your 'Rafale'

smestarz

Country flag
Trump is not alone to decide thats true, but India has been getting American planes for quite some time now. C-17, P-8I, C-130J, there are orders of AH-64E and Chinook and also M-777, so the American senate has no issues selling to India and it is not a one person decision. But it is the president which initiates the "sale" he puts in the pitch and later the senate approves of disapproves citing their objections. It is the same in France,

Trump is not alone to decide this kind of things.
See obamacare delete. See new emigration rules : He was prevented from doing so

"America first ! " all is said my dear bubble breaker.

smestarz

Country flag
I dont give an RA what you think

Tejas brings in self reilance and belief in own product. It is not a failed and dumped project, and it already has orders. so, you try to research in that,, after you pull your head out of somewhere

India has the finance to do both FGFA as well as AMCA.

FGFA incidentally will be what most might term as FGFA MKI, with India asking for some of the French or Israeli avionics instead of Russian ones., It has worked well on Su-30 MKI and there is no reason why it should not work on FGFA..

AMCA will not be in immediate future, that will have a prototype flying after another 10 years and this will be used to replace MiG-29 and Mirage 2000.. So there is clarity there, but the problem is you wont really understand till you bring your head out..

India is not going to be a superpower atleast till 2050, economy and cost of live all in utter low, I don't want to jump in there.

well Tejas is not going to do anything on the Airforce, its a failed and dumped project, Its better scrap the multi billion FGFA and make the AMCA better in all terms with foreign help.

India will not have enough logistics and support to fund and induct both FGFA and AMCA.

BON PLAN

-*-
Country flag
Trump has total control of the government and Supreme Court. He got the immigration done and he will replace Obamacare.
:pound:
He has total control ?

He said he would change tall he system in 2 months :
- Obamacare : he firmed a cancel order day one... Your Senat is not ready to do so NOW, 5 month later.
- Immigration : same thing. Some judges held him up. Subject is nearly closed.
- And what about the wall between USA and Mexico ? (paid by Mexico ! is he the new groucho Marx?) no more news... is it the first time he understand he said BS to win ?

PS : it's not because someone is not an American than he is uncultivated.... we also have TV, internet and news paper.

A cheese and frog eater, and proud of it.

BON PLAN

-*-
Country flag
Now let me again correct your history

Now, you should really read the the wikipedia page carefully..

The Northrop YF-17 (nicknamed "Cobra") was a prototype lightweight fighter aircraft designed for the United States Air Force's Lightweight Fighter (LWF) technology evaluation program. The LWF was initiated because many in the fighter community believed that aircraft like the F-15 Eagle were too large and expensive for many combat roles. The YF-17 was the culmination of a long line of Northrop designs, beginning with the N-102 Fang in 1956, continuing through the F-5 family.

Although it lost the LWF competition to the F-16 Fighting Falcon, the YF-17 was selected for the new Naval Fighter Attack Experimental (VFAX) program. In enlarged form, the F/A-18 Hornet was adopted by the United States Navy and United States Marine Corps to replace the A-7 Corsair II and F-4 Phantom II,

So, F/A-18 started life as YF-17 where it competed with YF-16 which it lost, and then since the USN did not want the same plane as USAF, YF-17 was pitched to the USN it replaced A-7 Corsair, Phantom jet and also F-14 (there are no more F-14 on naval carriers)
So, try not to tell me the history of F/A-18, as a matter of fact I was following this competition very closely (through the magazines like Flight Global and Aerospace then,

As for technology like EMALS, its not something that really has a General use like a Radar or Targeting POD etc. EMALS will be mainly be required for countries that want to build their own carriers investing a few billion dollars, And not many countries can really do that. So, the EMALs tech very much available for India (though at cost of F/A-18 SH) is possible.
We say the same thing :
you : "the F/A-18 Hornet was adopted by the United States Navy and United States Marine Corps to replace the A-7 Corsair II and F-4 Phantom II,"
me : "F/A18 was developped to replace old Corsair and Phantom."

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
India is not going to be a superpower atleast till 2050, economy and cost of live all in utter low, I don't want to jump in there.
I do agree with you that India will be superpower by 2050 had you stated that a few years back. I will reduce 10 years from that because of the efforts of the current Govt both Economic and Defense so I will say 2040.
well Tejas is not going to do anything on the Airforce, its a failed and dumped project, Its better scrap the multi billion FGFA and make the AMCA better in all terms with foreign help.
Tejas can be procured in High numbers with minimal restrictions and currently we do have to achieve certain numbers. FGFA is almost ready and we have invested alot of time and money in it we should work on a work around here. AMCA is still 15 years away.
India will not have enough logistics and support to fund and induct both FGFA and AMCA.
Yes, thats why there has to be difference in the times when the production starst for AMCA. Tejas assumed to be inducted in good numbers by 2025 and FGFA till the same time will make us have enough funds for AMCA once it is ready post 2030.
I dont give an RA what you think

Tejas brings in self reilance and belief in own product. It is not a failed and dumped project, and it already has orders. so, you try to research in that,, after you pull your head out of somewhere

India has the finance to do both FGFA as well as AMCA.
No we do not . We cannot support them together. WE have Tejas Mk1 Mk1A MK2 LCH LUH "another single engine A/c" + we are gonna pay for the Rafales we bought , So no we donot have that amount of funds.
FGFA incidentally will be what most might term as FGFA MKI,
I personally donot support the idea
with India asking for some of the French or Israeli avionics instead of Russian ones., It has worked well on Su-30 MKI and there is no reason why it should not work on FGFA..
Posssibility
AMCA will not be in immediate future, that will have a prototype flying after another 10 years and this will be used to replace MiG-29 and Mirage 2000..
I thought/hoped/wanted Tejas Mk2 was meant to replace them. AMCA is a totally different category
So there is clarity there, but the problem is you wont really understand till you bring your head out..
Never Give Up

smestarz

Country flag
Let me start with saying,.. I do not really care about the weight terms that is the one invented by IAF just to keep certain planes out. I would certainly go about the roles. I mean when two planes are in dogfight, does one back off because its in another weight class?

With this clear lets proceed. Tejas will be the single engine Interceptor and short range fighter, it would be the one replacing the MiG-21 in numbers

Unfortunately FGFA will be PAKFA MKI, The russians will not design another plane because India wants to,. only maybe a twin seater thats all. FGFA will compliment and later replace Su-30 MKI.

AMCA will be the ones to replace MiG-29 for tactical operations and deep strike., Thus FGFA and AMCA will compliment each other, where FGFA from say Mumbai and AMCA from Jamnagar will be able to hit Lahore simultaneously. Something like SEAD/DEAD plane

I do agree with you that India will be superpower by 2050 had you stated that a few years back. I will reduce 10 years from that because of the efforts of the current Govt both Economic and Defense so I will say 2040.
Tejas can be procured in High numbers with minimal restrictions and currently we do have to achieve certain numbers. FGFA is almost ready and we have invested alot of time and money in it we should work on a work around here. AMCA is still 15 years away.
Yes, thats why there has to be difference in the times when the production starst for AMCA. Tejas assumed to be inducted in good numbers by 2025 and FGFA till the same time will make us have enough funds for AMCA once it is ready post 2030.
No we do not . We cannot support them together. WE have Tejas Mk1 Mk1A MK2 LCH LUH "another single engine A/c" + we are gonna pay for the Rafales we bought , So no we donot have that amount of funds.I personally donot support the ideaPosssibilityI thought/hoped/wanted Tejas Mk2 was meant to replace them. AMCA is a totally different category Never Give Up

Sam Biswas

Let me start with saying,.. I do not really care about the weight terms that is the one invented by IAF just to keep certain planes out. I would certainly go about the roles. I mean when two planes are in dogfight, does one back off because its in another weight class?
Future fighter jets will not engage in dog fights. Air wars will be based on "beyond visual range" detection and destruction. It will be radar detection and advanced missiles. Stealth is replacing agility; radars and missiles are replacing cannons.

FGFA-mki is a great idea, but it is not going to happen unless India wants to foot the bill for hundreds of billions of dollars of development cost. Russia does not have that kind of money. Yes, they have T-50 or Su-50 but they have not allowed IAF to fly one. Why?

Tejas is great except it is a great fighter jet from the last century. India should abandon Tejas and focus on Tejas MK2 only and give it stealth, radar and BVR technology.

BON PLAN

-*-
Country flag
Future fighter jets will not engage in dog fights. Air wars will be based on "beyond visual range" detection and destruction. It will be radar detection and advanced missiles. Stealth is replacing agility; radars and missiles are replacing cannons.
This is what LM and some lobbying groups are saying until 25 years.

I just see the emphasis made on super agility with F22. The sole real 5gen plane to day (according to LM definition during JSF study). Strange.
And F16 like agility was one goal of JSF. But it fails. So now that the F35 can't be agile, focus all on BVR instead (marketing strategy).

How many planes were shoot down at a true BVR ? compare with the total.
More cruel : compare the number of planes shoot down in real BVR with the number of missiles used.

Maybe the real answer was given when two SH18 were unable to shoot down a old Su22 with the last US arsenal IR missile. They have to used the good old AMRAAM. As the only efficient AAM in the USAF and USN is AMRAAM, you believe all has to be made according to BVR but WVR rules. (it's a joke. I think)

smestarz

Country flag
Well I might just your theory a smile
In future there might not be dogfights, and most action might be BVR but it will be a fight between Stealth and Radar and detection systems
So let us asssume F-35 with its nice radar and avionics, and Tejas with its AESA and also say Electronic stealth, in that case both might be VLO, but Tejas might do at fraction of the cost., Then it would all be between who has more capable A2A missile.

One of the advantage of last gen planes like Tejas is .. they are easy and faster to build and do not cost much to use and to maintain, F-35 will be costing at least 4 times as Tejas to operate

For T-50, the present prototyles are without the Item 30 engine which is the stealthy engine, So what is the point to give the plane to IAF to try and use if its not having the engine designed for it? Then IAF will have to try once with the present engine and again with the actual engine.

FGFA-mki is a great idea, but it is not going to happen unless India wants to foot the bill for hundreds of billions of dollars of development cost. Russia does not have that kind of money. Yes, they have T-50 or Su-50 but they have not allowed IAF to fly one. Why?

Tejas is great except it is a great fighter jet from the last century. India should abandon Tejas and focus on Tejas MK2 only and give it stealth, radar and BVR technology.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Maybe the real answer was given when two SH18 were unable to shoot down a old Su22 with the last US arsenal IR missile. They have to used the good old AMRAAM. As the only efficient AAM in the USAF and USN is AMRAAM, you believe all has to be made according to BVR but WVR rules. (it's a joke. I think)
The Russian AF pilot Lt. Col. Oleg Peshkov of the SU24 shot down by Turkish AIM 9X fired fron F16 will degress to your clumsy claim... If there were shortcomings from AIM9X from its miss against the 40-year old Syrian SU22 then i'm sure Raytheon engineers are now examining it for a fix. That would be bad for future adversaries if AIM 9X armed fighters.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Typical Modi fan, i too once think like that, But not now, The government is Hype

Tejas can be procured in High numbers with minimal restrictions and currently we do have to achieve certain numbers.
Can you say numbers, as of now only 40 allowed for production, once the 2nd line opens further 83 orders get CCS nod.. and thats all for Tejas

FGFA is almost ready and we have invested alot of time and money in it we should work on a work around here. AMCA is still 15 years away.
damn shit ..Is FGFA ready ..I was struck on my job ..thats why I didn't able to follow up FGFA ...can you say when the contracts was finalized, and are we in prototype design stage or production stage

err

No we do not . We cannot support them together. WE have Tejas Mk1 Mk1A MK2 LCH LUH "another single engine A/c" + we are gonna pay for the Rafales we bought , So no we donot have that amount of funds.I personally donot support the ideaPosssibilityI thought/hoped/wanted Tejas Mk2 was meant to replace them. AMCA is a totally different category Never Give Up
dumb Fanboys .....why you peoples not even use your commonsense

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
lol..why they even comes close for Dogfight, aren't they try to launch the BVR first...in future the air combat occurs in large space, don't expect dogfights.

But yes, If Different weight class meet in a dog fight in rare scenario, ye the light one will rules it ..if its 1vs1 combat

With this clear lets proceed. Tejas will be the single engine Interceptor and short range fighter, it would be the one replacing the MiG-21 in numbers
why not HAL can produce more MiG 21 to replace older MiG 21

Unfortunately FGFA will be PAKFA MKI, The russians will not design another plane because India wants to,. only maybe a twin seater thats all. FGFA will compliment and later replace Su-30 MKI.
Well, I agree on this ....mostly this going to be happen.

AMCA will be the ones to replace MiG-29 for tactical operations and deep strike., Thus FGFA and AMCA will compliment each other, where FGFA from say Mumbai and AMCA from Jamnagar will be able to hit Lahore simultaneously. Something like SEAD/DEAD plane
Our Deep Strike plane was Jaguar, Not the Multi-role upgraded MiG 29 UPG's.

well here in DFI it was proved several times that Jaguar will be replaced by AMCA, not MiG 29

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Agreed, thats the modern air combat, add modern generation long range active homing SAM too

again +1

I think its better close all the Tejas program and send the guys back to school who worked on this program, lets find good players from both private and PSU and make the AMCA as a beast.

well Tejas MK2 is dead

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
This is what LM and some lobbying groups are saying until 25 years.

I just see the emphasis made on super agility with F22. The sole real 5gen plane to day (according to LM definition during JSF study). Strange.
And F16 like agility was one goal of JSF. But it fails. So now that the F35 can't be agile, focus all on BVR instead (marketing strategy).

How many planes were shoot down at a true BVR ? compare with the total.
More cruel : compare the number of planes shoot down in real BVR with the number of missiles used.

US Navy there is Syria didn't face much threats, they get free fight all over Syria, well No idea what about those Modern Russian AD system.

the war is boring has good article that states what happened to the US's modern WVR missile, The US Navy pilot do kill the enemy Su 22 from long range BVR missile.

https://theaviationist.com/2017/06/...r-raqqa-syria-and-here-is-everything-we-know/

as we read what from above,, Both fighters were very close and within their pilots visual range, so the Pilots thinks WVR is enough for them, any idea why the Su 22 never tried anything over the F/A 18, why not even tries for gun strafing against the killer.

If US announced a NFZ around the Kurdish region, and if anyone tries to violate we can see the true BVR combat,

There is a Joke too ,,,,read the Libyan air war campaign prior on 2011

smestarz

Country flag
True that as technology becomes better say a fixed number of planes can be effective occupying a bigger space
or, for a big space, a far lesser nos of plane can be effective.
In future the game would be more of Stealth and detecting the stealth. If Stealth is detected then there would be BVR, but if the Stealth is not detected, only visually is possible then we get into WW1 and WW2 type of Dog fights. And even then the missiles may not be effective, maybe we will end up having guided A2A missiles (like Maverick are for A2G) where the WSO will have the task of chasing the target and to take it down.
Ultimately if the avionics may not be able to detect each other that would also be true that the missiles may not be able to track and then in such situation, maybe we have to rely on our eyes or TV guided versions.

The weight class argument is stupid for a reason, If tomorrow we have an Su-30 MKI flying over pakistan. The options with PAF will be either to keep quiet and know they are outclassed and ignore it and which in a way will have morale boost to india as surgical strike,. or to send the "smaller" F-16 and JF-17 to try and shoot the Su-30 MKI. I am sure I would not hear the PAF saying ".. oh its Su-30 MKI, its heavy plane, Sorry IAF we dont have a heavy plane to go against you, why not send a medium weight class, so that we can send a medium weight to confront it.

Another recent example is that one Russian Su-24 was which is heavy strike craft, and it was not a dog fight.It is never about weight, but the role and the weapons the plane is armed with. For example, if the Su-30 has only left with Short range missiles, then even JF-17 armed with longer range missiles will be at advantage and in this situation, Su-30 might want to dogfight to be able to use its short range missiles, but the JF-17 would have advantage in terms of longer range missiles. in this situation either the Su-30 MKI has to either try to leave the point at top speed or try to get closer to get the advantage of missiles.

MiG-21 uses Tumansky engines and those are no longer produced.
Further Mig-21 was built for speed and not really to be manueverable, Tejas has a lot of advantages over MiG-21. and also on Mirage 2000, thus I would prefer Tejas over both these planes.

IAF top brass will ultimately have a leader who will have vision and see the benefit of using one platform for different roles. Thus Jaguar role might be distributed between say FGFA and Su-30 MKI.
Jaguars advantage of flying low was in era when Radar became all too powerful and the A2G missiles were not reliable and had short range, But with Missiles having 300 Kms Stand off range, Why not just fly HI and strike from Hi, I mean flying from india to general direction of pakistan will not give PAF the idea of the intended target,
So In my view AMCA will be the one to replace Mirage 2000, Jaguars and even MiG-29.
FGFA will compliment Su-30 MKI and replace the older Su-30 MK and only this way, we can ensure that we use Su-30 MKI with optimum life.

lol..why they even comes close for Dogfight, aren't they try to launch the BVR first...in future the air combat occurs in large space, don't expect dogfights.

But yes, If Different weight class meet in a dog fight in rare scenario, ye the light one will rules it ..if its 1vs1 combat

why not HAL can produce more MiG 21 to replace older MiG 21

Well, I agree on this ....mostly this going to be happen.

Our Deep Strike plane was Jaguar, Not the Multi-role upgraded MiG 29 UPG's.

well here in DFI it was proved several times that Jaguar will be replaced by AMCA, not MiG 29

smestarz

Country flag
The Russians have nothing to worry from the Americans or the Israeli and the S-400 systems which are there are mainly Russian. The Russians want to keep the modes etc confidential as much as possible., They do not want to expose the secrets for nothing. The Americans and others know it. The shooting down of Su-22 was also to add to Syrian frustration. The Russians expect that after the defeat of ISIS the coalition to dictate to Assad, and if the S-400 systems modes are exposed then the Americans and French will try to might try to find ways to jam. :Losing a Syrian plane is not worth the cost. Most secrets of the American and French planes are already known during the campaign so at present it is Advantage Russia in terms of having knowledge about its opponents and protecting its own secrets.

US Navy there is Syria didn't face much threats, they get free fight all over Syria, well No idea what about those Modern Russian AD system.

the war is boring has good article that states what happened to the US's modern WVR missile, The US Navy pilot do kill the enemy Su 22 from long range BVR missile.

https://theaviationist.com/2017/06/...r-raqqa-syria-and-here-is-everything-we-know/

as we read what from above,, Both fighters were very close and within their pilots visual range, so the Pilots thinks WVR is enough for them, any idea why the Su 22 never tried anything over the F/A 18, why not even tries for gun strafing against the killer.

If US announced a NFZ around the Kurdish region, and if anyone tries to violate we can see the true BVR combat,

There is a Joke too ,,,,read the Libyan air war campaign prior on 2011

Sam Biswas

Well I might just your theory a smile
In future there might not be dogfights, and most action might be BVR but it will be a fight between Stealth and Radar and detection systems
So let us asssume F-35 with its nice radar and avionics, and Tejas with its AESA and also say Electronic stealth, in that case both might be VLO, but Tejas might do at fraction of the cost., Then it would all be between who has more capable A2A missile.

I agree with most of the statements you made. But there is one problem. That is your statements are based on assumptions and could very well be pipe dreams. US spent hundreds of billions of dollars to produce F-35 and continues to do so. How India or Russia will be able to match that. Realistically a deploy-able Indian Tejas is at least 20 years and 100 billion $ behind and Russian T-50 is ten years and 100 billion dollars behind F-35. Neither Russia nor India has the funds to do it. Saying that, I still believe it will be worthwhile to develop Tejas and MK2 because it will pay dividends in the future. Why give Russia billions of dollars to develop FGFA when they don't let you fighter pilots touch their T-50?

Russia and China will never get their hands on or even see an F-35; but India can get it very easily. All I am saying is that India should exploit the rare opportunity without injecting politics in it. India has brilliant fighter pilots, why not give them the weapons (F-16 and F-35) they need to stand up to the enemy without getting shot out of the sky? These will guarantee that Indian fighter pilots will be able to stand up to anything Chinese air force can launch.

smestarz

Country flag
Making a good plane is not always proportional to the money spent. America has 100 years of Aeronautical experience behind them and clearly 2 decades of 5th gen plane. Russia has few decades less experience than America, but the Russians always made planes that make the American wet their pants., Remember how the MiG surprised the American Sabre jets? the Americans never thought that Russians could make a jet.
Also how much you spend does not ensure victory (please refer to Vietnam, Somalia, Afghanistan and Iraq)
To just compare apples as Apples. India is gaining experience with its infantile aeronautical industry, but yet they made a Jet which in a way is better and cheaper than F-16 .. Remember both are having the same roles.

Now. America needs an F-35.. India prefers PAKFA / Su-30 MKI to dominate and thus 4th Gen planes like Tejas can then carry their missions as required.. Americans did not think of this? We are interested in the ACTUAL PLANE WITH THE ACTUAL ENGINE. We know how the plane flies, We want to know how the final PAKFA would fly with Item 30 engine. So we might as well wait for it , no?

I think most of our requirement is fulfilled, the only thing pending is 57 planes for Navy and AMCA in 2035..

I agree with most of the statements you made. But there is one problem. That is your statements are based on assumptions and could very well be pipe dreams. US spent hundreds of billions of dollars to produce F-35 and continues to do so. How India or Russia will be able to match that. Realistically a deploy-able Indian Tejas is at least 20 years and 100 billion $ behind and Russian T-50 is ten years and 100 billion dollars behind F-35. Neither Russia nor India has the funds to do it. Saying that, I still believe it will be worthwhile to develop Tejas and MK2 because it will pay dividends in the future. Why give Russia billions of dollars to develop FGFA when they don't let you fighter pilots touch their T-50?

Russia and China will never get their hands on or even see an F-35; but India can get it very easily. All I am saying is that India should exploit the rare opportunity without injecting politics in it. India has brilliant fighter pilots, why not give them the weapons (F-16 and F-35) they need to stand up to the enemy without getting shot out of the sky? These will guarantee that Indian fighter pilots will be able to stand up to anything Chinese air force can launch.

Sam Biswas

Making a good plane is not always proportional to the money spent. America has 100 years of Aeronautical experience behind them and clearly 2 decades of 5th gen plane. Russia has few decades less experience than America, but the Russians always made planes that make the American wet their pants., Remember how the MiG surprised the American Sabre jets? the Americans never thought that Russians could make a jet..

You are getting irrational and ranting. 1. F-16 is the most iconic fighter jet in the world. There are over 4000 of these jets in major air forces of the planet. It downed every single Russian fighter jet it ever battled. It is simply crazy to compare Tejas with no records of any kind with F-16.

2. FGFA is a bogus pipe dream. India has to pay billions of dollar just to get a blueprint and another billions for a prototype. Russia has T-50, at least in the propaganda, for a few years. They never let an Indian pilot touch it let alone fly. It is a Russian joke. Comrades in China will get it before IAF deleting any advantage that IAF may have.

3. US Air Force is the best air force in the world. F-16 and F-35 are the main weapons of USAF. There is nothing out there that can be compared with these iconic jets.

Articles