Know Your 'Rafale'

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Price Frozen, Dassault Expects to Freeze Indian MMRCA Rafale Architecture Next

Dassault Aviation is preparing to hold discussions with the Indian MOD's contract negotiations committee (CNC) in the coming weeks to freeze the Rafale aircraft architecture as the next step in its quest to sign the estimated $12 billion contract.

A source from Dassault told Defenseworld.net that teams from Dasault and the CNC will decide on the aircraft's final architecture following which the terms of the transfer of technology(ToT) will be decided. "A third important step, that of deciding on offsets will have to be concluded before signing on the dotted line", said the source who did not wish to be named as he was not authorized to speak to the media.

"If these three steps are fulfiled, then we can look forward to signing the contract early next year", he said adding that performance of the contract is likely to begin towards the end of 2013.

Freezing the aircraft architecture is the next crucial step as it involves taking decisions on all the systems and sub-systems which will go into the aircraft and which vendor will provide what. "It means taking a call on the configuration in which the Indian Air Force wants the aircraft".

Asked whether there would be scope for a change in price if the aircraft architecture was fine-tuned, the source said that the basic price was frozen and pricing of various systems will have to be within the purview of the financial bids submitted during the evaluation process where the Rafale was declared the lowest bidder.

Regarding offsets agreement, he said that Dassault plans to "revisit" the Indian industry as the earlier offsets proposal had been submitted in 2007. "Once we are through with the aircraft architecture and the terms of the ToT we will be better placed to select our offsets partners", he said.

Price Frozen, Dassault Expects to Freeze Indian MMRCA Rafale Architecture Next : Defense news

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
So now one more year before the deal can be signed, plenty of time for others to play around and create pressure:

"If these three steps are fulfiled, then we can look forward to signing the contract early next year", he said adding that performance of the contract is likely to begin towards the end of 2013.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
British are really pigs, i wonder if German and Italian news papers are as obnoxious as the jingo home land.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
No you don't - you are absolutely right. But are you willing for your tax dollars to go to help Pakistan, if it's ISI is sending over terrorist ( an extreme example but point made hopefully the same). They are pissed just like I am about sending my tax dollars to Pakistan .
Remember India still aids Pakistan in case of calamities.
Also, the difference is that India does not send terrorists into Britain or support Britains enemies in a war in exchange for the Aid. that's what Pakistan does in exchange for US Aid. It trains and sends terrorists who go and kill Americans and their allies. It aslo supplies and supports the taliban during the Afghan war - now.
No Jay, in this case I do not agree with Britain.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I still don't think the fat lady has sung. If the "further negotiations" go bad, anything can happen. The rest of Europe will wait for one good up which will give them a foot in.

I wonder what offset or other demands Dassault will no be able to meet that can give the EFT an entry back in that the Europeans are talking about. If there was anything that Dassault could not meet, it would have already stated it or would have been found out by the people scrutinizing the tender bids submitted. So though we seem to have a deal, but it still is all too unclear till the ink dries on the paper signed and sealed.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
For me the only thing that spoils the look of the Rafale is the refueling probe that sticks out. If it was retractable, it would have made the bird look better.

Nagraj

France's Rafale deal to include tech transfer: Sarkozy - India News - IBNLive
Paris: French President Nicolas Sarkozy on Tuesday said that he welcomed a decision by India's government to enter into "exclusive negotiations" with France's Dassault for the purchase of 126 Rafale jet fighter planes.
In a statement, Sarkozy said talks over the contract would begin shortly, adding that the deal would include significant transfers of technology guaranteed by the French state.
Dassault Aviation confirmed earlier that its fighter plane had been selected by the Indian air force.

I don't exacly distrust IBN but will be better if we had a western news source confirming the same.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
For me the only thing that spoils the look of the Rafale is the refueling probe that sticks out. If it was retractable, it would have made the bird look better.
I agree but i think the retractable has loads of unnecessary mechanisms that add to weight and consume space. The american way is better.

JayATL

You call grass hoppers while having a know hows of a high school kid.... We have given you countless examples on how we could be sanctioned, most important among them being testing a nuclear device.... And before you say you yankees have no right to say that we cant test a nuclear device...

Besides the ToT is supposed to help us in developing the 5th gen fighter programs FGFA and AMCA in that order, so i have no problem with spending 10Bn$ just for TOT while maintaining Strategic Autonomy..... So Pi** O**
You are not a real doctor are you, you just play one in the Internet. Your several scenarios is one scenario and that one is rubbish as I've explained several times. You will find a minority here and not a single proponent in your govt who will say that India will ever ever do another nuclear test. Saying so tells me your knowledge about world affairs is stuck on the schoolyard. Somehow you seem to think that some strange power will make India challenge UN sanctions , risk it's standing, economy for a nuclear test.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
And we have already bought some 10 Billion Dollars worth of WEAPONS POST the Nuclear Deal
like C 17; P8 I; C 130 ; M177 Howitzers ; Apaches Helicopters ; JAvelin ATGM
and Air to ground sensor fused bombs and Anti ship Harpoons

We are your THIRD Largest Arms BUYER . CAPISCE !!!
M777 = cancelled
Apache = not cleared
Javelin = not cleared
CBU-105 = tied up in offsets

pankaj nema

Country flag
M777 = cancelled
Apache = not cleared
Javelin = not cleared
All these are in the pipeline At the most it will take sometime that is all but they have been
decided and that is it

Infact I forgot GE 414 and Honey well engines for Jaguars

pankaj nema

Country flag
M777 = cancelled
Apache = not cleared
Javelin = not cleared
Infact first three are for our China specific New Mountain strike corps

The M777 , Javelins and Apaches will Halt Chinese armour and Infantry wave attacks dead in their tracks

Our side of the terrain is very bad the ROADS are washed off OR closed due to bad weather

Taking 155 mm guns ;ICVs or even the lighter T 72 s is very difficult and time consuming

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
All these are in the pipeline At the most it will take sometime that is all but they have been
decided and that is it

Infact I forgot GE 414 and Honey well engines for Jaguars
India decided to engineer the Bofors schematics they already bought. Apache has neither been cleared by GoI or the US Congress. Congress cleared Javelin but GoI has yet to approve it. Textron is having a hard time meeting India's offset clause for Cbu-105.

Re-engine of Jaguars was cancelled when Rolls Royce pulled out.

JAISWAL

meet the ultimate TAG-TEAM members.
Who are coming to rule this world's SKY

pankaj nema

Country flag
India decided to engineer the Bofors schematics they already bought. Apache has neither been cleared by GoI or the US Congress. Congress cleared Javelin but GoI has yet to approve it. Textron is having a hard time meeting India's offset clause for Cbu-105.

Re-engine of Jaguars was cancelled when Rolls Royce pulled out.
You are not understanding the problems of Mountain warfare and the need for SWIFT offensive
platforms like Apaches M 777 and Javelin armed Soldiers

The rengineered Bofors though is a 45 calibre gun BUT it is still a heavy gun

CBU 105 is necessary to take out the LONG Chinese supply lines
and armoured columns which once taken out will cripple the Chinese

And the Jaguar is already groaning because of an under powered engine

So an engine upgrade is necessary

As soon as finances are tied up India will grab these items

The offset policy is NOT meant to weaken us or stand in the way of necessary purchases

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles