Know Your 'Rafale'

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Let us not get carried away by LCA which has not been manufactured in numbers by HAL. Technologically if we are satisfied that it is better than Mig 21 or Mirage 2000 or Mig 29, aircraft which were designed 30 to 40 to 50 years ago, then we have wasted money on the project. If compared to JF 17, yes it will a better aircraft by a margin, but if people compare it with Rafael or SU 35, then we are doing an injustice to ADA/HAL.
The defence minister said that Tejas had its limitations and that GoI was also looking for another single engined craft to replace Mig21s.

A pro-Russian/DRDO journalist is saying that there is some hanky panky going as GoI might not induct Tejas but go in for Gripen or some other craft.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I guess you mis-read my post, Guided & unguided rocket rocket / missile, Rest is self explained ..

I agree of Guided unguided Rocket Artillery Barrage, but the Range is Limited, less than 80 Kilometers I think, but still we need a Strike Platform to do missions deep inside Bakistan and China
=============

I do not doubt the words of DM, I call the words here written by member is incorrect ..

Else bring out any evidence which say other wise that Tejas is lesser in range then Mig-21 or fall short of IAF requirement for its range ..

Also bring the word that DM said any other light fighter besides Tejas, Can replace MIG-21 ..

---

I call these disinformation Spread by different lobbies who are just looking to sell their goods in any opportunity ..

Don't think the Defence Minister will lie in Parliament.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
I guess you mis-read my post, Guided & unguided rocket rocket / missile, Rest is self explained ..
Sir

You totally confused me.. do we use Cruise missiles for strike Bakistani Positions even for small Targets, during 26/11 if I remember correctly there is about 650 pre designated targets suggested by IAF, all this could be done by precession Bombing and Not by Guided & unguided rocket rocket / missile

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In Armed forces, Future plans are based on stand off systems than manned missions, It is obvious what kind of strategy is being planned, Do i need to say more ?

if I remember correctly there is about 650 pre designated targets suggested by IAF, all this could be done by precession Bombing and Not by Guided & unguided rocket rocket / missile
============

I doubt that, We should get better people than such kind ..

had a wealth of information and was a very valuable member here. IMO, If we can invite him back, then it will be good for this forum.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
As I think ..with Terran Hugging, and Spectra EW and with the RBE 2 AESA

Even if those SAAB Eyrie found the Plane how it can co ordinate it's Fighter plane ,PAF F 16 can't work with Saab or any other AEWCS, should they sent JF 17's and I sure Rafale knows how to teach them a good lesson
Terrain hugging is useless against AWACS in skies,

ASEA is irrelevant in this mission,

JF-17 can a lunch a missile on rafale or su-30 MKi or tejas after cued by PAK's chines made awacs.

zno one knows what kind of co ordination is between with AWACS and F-16s of PAF.

Finally IAF is asking for rafale primarily to penetrate deep into Tibet.

Su-30 MKI can also teach a lesson to JF-17.

Spectra EW is never going to have the power to foll the powerful AWACS 400 Km away,

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Any EW is render useless unless it get proper upgrade time to time ..

-----------

One can derail the topic via countless senerios thrown into it, Making the debate fruitless, Its distasteful to reply them ..

Spectra EW is never going to have the power to foll the powerful AWACS 400 Km away,

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
In Armed forces, Future plans are based on stand off systems than manned missions, It is obvious what kind of strategy is being planned, Do i need to say more ?
Then I can say Stand off Cruise Missiles like SCLAP AG costs less than Million dollars sub sonic more than 500 kilometers Range, and many more Stand off Munitions like Spice Delilah etc

But I strongly disagree using Rocket Barrage

sorcerer

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas @pmaitra et al.

Sir,
Different fighters have different adaptation curves when it comes to pilots who man them. Since our pilots are well versed with Russian planes..how much will the adaptability issue comes into real life scenarios in the Rafale.

Any inputs or articles that takes care of the views from the pilots side will be a good .

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Why have SCLAP when have Brahmos or in future Nirbay ? , Do we need extra training and equipment for something lesser preform ace system then our own and that too at what cost ?

In Kargil, IA used Rocket and Artillery to engage local tactical targets, Which could not taken out by LGB in absence of any medium range SAM or AAA ..

=========

What you really disagree about here ?

Then I can say Stand off Cruise Missiles like SCLAP AG costs less than Million dollars sub sonic more than 500 kilometers Range, and many more Stand off Munitions like Spice Delilah etc

But I strongly disagree using Rocket Barrage

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Why have SCLAP when have Brahmos or in future Nirbay ? , Do we need extra training and equipment for something lesser preform ace system then our own and that too at what cost ?

Sir the SCALP comes less than millions, but Brahmos comes more than $2.5 millions, if we compared both I sure Brahmos is in the top, also still we have no information of Air launched Nirbhay, If Nirbhay comes with 500 km Range and 200 kg warhead in less than a million dollar, then is sure It's jackpot.

In Kargil, IA used Rocket and Artillery to engage local tactical targets, Which could not taken out by LGB in absence of any medium range SAM or AAA ..
That's in Kargil, but what will help us if we need to strike beyond 100KM

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Your comparison is what that of Air launched version of Brahmos or Ground launched one ?

You know the answer, No need to quote me again .. :)

Sir the SCALP comes less than millions, but Brahmos comes more than $2.5 millions, if we compared both I sure Brahmos is in the top

That's in Kargil, but what will help us if we need to strike beyond 100KM

sob

Mod
Country flag

Sir,
Different fighters have different adaptation curves when it comes to pilots who man them. Since our pilots are well versed with Russian planes..how much will the adaptability issue comes into real life scenarios in the Rafale.

Any inputs or articles that takes care of the views from the pilots side will be a good .
Pilots from Mirage 2000 can be used to switch over to Rafael.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Dude, I read your arguments there. He countered all of your arguments and you countered none of his arguments and he started ignoring you after you repeated the same thing again and again. Come on. Lets not character assassinate people who are not here. It is not fair

PS: Lets not forget that he actually is someone who is pro LCA. So even the usual "lobby agent" angle is not applicable to him
may be I dont know madarin enough to talk with Decklander.

he has the gall to argue that lift from wing has no meaning in STR and ITR and got his nose cut.

he tried best to abuse me and provocate me. Since i was schooled in P2p's compulsive obsessive abusive tactics , i just gave ignored his taunts and shut his shop.

if you think otherwise come to tejas thread and give any one of his argument which you think correct.

Since I have posted all those answers in tejas thread here, you can check for yourself and find out everything on the Earth's atmosphere has to obey newton's law of motions. No decklander can change that.

After a while he couldn't write a single sentence of technical stuff , because i have given him rebuttals with source. he shut his shop.

he will keep quiet on tejas threre.

i will make sure he will.

he pretended to be pro LCA once. he turned anti after a while.

For character Assassination , the first qualification is a guys got to have some character.

For gutter mouths who foul mouth everybody without even knowing Newton's second law all this character Assassination stuff is too high sounding.

you can have your private fan club of Deck lander and P2P anywhere on the net. I have no objection.

Trolls faking stuff they dont now about will be called one day by some one, character or no character.

You should grant me the right to defend tejas also, it is fair i think.

thousands of guys are working like ants for the past two decades to make tejas a reality, A few trolls have no right to bad mouth all of them in one go

i have patiently read all the trolling by p2p On tejas for three years before calling his bluffs like tejas can not have an AOA of above 20 deg due to bad inlet design!!!

Now it is doing 26 deg AOA even without spin test. Where will he show his face again here?

No one has the right to dump on critical project for the sake of faking stuff stuff they dont know about.

Last edited:

sorcerer

Country flag
"...Rafale is the best fighter plane in the world" - Air Chief Marshal Denis Mercier
Date : 10 Apr , 2015

General, I would like to ask you two sets of questions. First on the Indo-French joint air exercise, Garuda-V which is going on in Jodhpur, Rajasthan and of course, the role of the Rafale in this exercise, and then a few questions on France, the recent White Paper on Defence and National Security, the Defence Multiyear Spending Law ('Loi de Programmation militaire') as well as recent operations in Libya and Mali.

Air Chief Marshal Denis Mercier, French Air Force Chief of Staff (CEMAA): Yes, please go ahead.

You are just back from Jodhpur where you took part in the joint air exercise with your Indian counterpart, Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha. You flew the Sukhoi-30 MKI, while Air Chief Arup Raha flew the Rafale. Could you tell our readers what this joint exercise, the fifth of the Garuda series, means for you?

For me, the benefit of such joint exercises is that it allows squadrons, pilots and mechanics from both countries, to continue meeting and working together. From one Garuda exercise to the next – as you just mentioned, this is the fifth edition – we are able to make progress, particularly in the ability to mutually integrate our skills. While touring the ground control centre today, where I followed a mission in real time, I was struck by the deliberate choice made while constituting the opposing formations: it wasn't a French aircraft pitted against an Indian aircraft, but French and Indian aircraft fighting together against another formation of French and Indian aircraft.

The level of integration that I witnessed today was far better than during earlier Garuda exercises. This is a very significant result, as our respective Air Forces, although very capable, don't have the opportunity to train together on a daily basis as we do with other European countries. Yet, our Air Forces have reached a level of mutual knowledge which, after just one week's practice, allows them to fly complex missions together in perfect safety.

Do you consider this as an improvement over Garuda-IV? Have some of your pilots already taken part in the previous exercises of Garuda?

I can't be absolutely sure but I don't think any of the pilots have already flown together – just a few at best. The aircraft chosen for this exercise were not the same as in the previous editions – as you know, four Rafales are taking part in Garuda-V for the first time. But the lessons learned from the previous exercises have been retained and passed on.

We have now developed great flexibility, which allows us to rapidly integrate the two Air Forces. The excellent level of integration which I have witnessed, achieved after just one week – it is of course still perfectible, which is why we shall continue to hold joint exercises – is, I think, proof of all that we have built on earlier.

Our own tactics have also evolved by taking stock of best practices learned from the Indian Air Force. We can see that the pilots from both sides are now able to work easily together. We feel that it is important for the future: whether it is with India or with other countries, we might have to perform missions with partners with whom we don't necessarily have opportunities for regular training. It demonstrates our great inherent flexibility.

And then, at the symbolic level – although here we have much more than a symbol – we routinely work with different nations, but the French and Indian Air Forces, more than others, share a common past. I still remember these veteran Indian pilots that I met last year during the Bangalore Air Show. They told me about the "Toofani" (Ouragan), the Mystere IV and the Mirage 2000. This common past resurfaces in today's experience. It gives our relationship a greater dimension, which we probably don't experience with other countries, with which we don't share such a legacy. Because History is always present; it is the foundation of everything.

History yes, but also the future, with the Rafale. The Indian press has announced that the Rafale deal could be signed in 3 months.

This is not for me to say. It is the role of the industry, the Indian Air Force and the Indian Government. As far as I'm concerned, I can tell you about the Rafale at the operational level. This is my role as Chief of Air Staff. I know what we have achieved and what we continue achieving with this aircraft. I know all its qualities, I know what it can provide over and above all other existing operational fighter aircraft, which don't have the same level of integration for all missions types, which don't integrate all sensors to the same degree, which don't mesh with networks the way the Rafale does. I can speak about that, and share the feedback from our own operational experience. The Indian pilots asked our squadron a number of questions about their operational experience. But industrial questions are beyond my competence.

Yet, there is great hope that with the present government things will move faster.

I am personally convinced that the Rafale is the best fighter plane in the world. I would therefore be delighted to see other major Air Forces being equipped with the Rafale. This is my take on the issue.

If the 'deal' goes through, it means 30 or 40 years of close collaboration between France and India?

Recently, I visited the Thales company to look at future evolutions of the Rafale. For the Rafale, there will be evolutions not only over the next forty years but also in the near future. The possibilities are quite phenomenal with the advent of new technologies, such as Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar and others. There, I happened to meet an Indian delegation that was involved in the ongoing Mirage 2000 upgrade. This is a good illustration of the common path we are treading together.

This year, all temperature records have been broken in Jodhpur. Did the heat have an impact on the current Garuda exercise?

I have been asked this question already. In fact, the squadron that we deployed is permanently based in the United Arab Emirates. Therefore, the crew was not daunted by the heat in Jodhpur given their everyday experience. I recently went to Africa, where the temperature also reaches 50 degrees. So, one thing that we are certain about is that our aircraft can stand the heat very well, and I am tempted to say, the electronic equipment actually likes the heat. The only limitation in this regard is the human limit. The risk with these staggering heats is human fatigue. But the equipment has no problem, provided it is adequately shielded.

A few words on the Mirage 2000 upgrade?

Without going into details, I believe that it is progressing well. This is what I gathered from the Indian delegation I mentioned. I could hold a full conference on this topic, because the French Air Force is also going to upgrade some of its own Mirage 2000D, in order to keep them fighting fit beyond 2025, until we replace them with the Rafale. For budgetary reasons, we had to make certain choices, but when I see the upgrade undertaken for the Indian Mirage 2000, I am a bit jealous (smiles). The Indians are doing the modernisation that I would have dreamt of. But we had to curb our ambitions.

Can you envisage other collaborations with India? At a certain stage, for example, it had been considered to develop the engine of the Tejas, the Kaveri, in collaboration"¦

Our cooperation is well under way at the tactical and operational levels, and has even reached new heights thanks to the Garuda exercises. In Jodhpur, I realised that we had never reached such a high level during previous editions, because we have been building this inter-operability over time, and this feeling was obviously shared by aircrew from both sides. What needs to be done next is a meeting of both Chiefs of Staff. I think it is important. I will invite the Indian Air Chief to see how we can make further progress in our cooperation.
We need to sit around a table and exchange our views on the challenges ahead. Following the publication of the French White Paper, I have just drawn up a strategic plan for the French Air Force, which lays out our priorities. We discussed this briefly, the Indian Air Force seems to be doing the same and I realise that we certainly have things to share. Viewing things from this angle; the sharing of our operational experiences and priorities might lead us to consider doing more together, which may also involve an industrial dimension. But our role as Chiefs of Staff is to start by reflecting on the nature of air power within our respective air forces beyond 2020. This will lead us to the rest.

It is an important point for the Indian Government when it decides to purchase 126 combat aircraft. The confidence that you seem to have achieved between the two Air Forces, this inter-operability that you just described, is it a strong argument to help the Government of India take its decision?

It will certainly help. But once again, our role is to ask ourselves whether we have a common vision on a sufficient number of issues, and whether this common vision may translate into further partnership. It is now time for us to consider having a meeting to discuss, as Chiefs of Air Staff, how we see things in the future, in order to move our partnership forward. There definitely is a resolve from my side.

Can you envisage a Navy version of the Rafale?

You are leading me back to equipment, which is not what I'm talking about. For example, in Jodhpur, we were discussing drones; we were sharing views on the organisation of future air operations – tomorrow, not in 2050. As Chief of Staff, it isn't my role to approach another Air Force and to ask upfront whether we would develop equipment in common. My role is to share our vision of air power required tomorrow, or in the near and distant future, and if we have something to share, then only can we both turn towards our respective governments and tell them we have identified something that we might want to build together.

"…Rafale is the best fighter plane in the world" – Air Chief Marshal Denis Mercier » Indian Defence Review

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

the first one i was quoted from the Land based varient

from here

In October, the Indian government had cleared a proposal worth over $1.2 billion for purchasing, testing and integration of at least 200 BrahMos missile on the Russian-made Su-30MKI aircraft in the IAF fleet.
Air Variant of BrahMos Test Delayed Until End Of 2013 | Defense content from Aviation Week

This has lot of of site works,i think integration work values also added with this $1.2 billion

If we give $200 millions for off site work , other 200 missiles $1 billion costs, that means whooping $5 millions

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Every aircraft is different in terms of aerodynamics, Weight to thrust ratio and other details ..

Just because MIG-21 is a Russian fighter the Pilot of MIG-21 won`t able to work in MIG-29/27, We have to understand the origin of fighter has nothing to do with training or operating them ..

Any pilot of different aircraft need extensive flight hours before he start taking operational sorties in that particular aircraft ..

Sir, Different fighters have different adaptation curves when it comes to pilots who man them. Since our pilots are well versed with Russian planes..how much will the adaptability issue comes into real life scenarios in the Rafale.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

=============

I do not doubt the words of DM, I call the words here written by member is incorrect ..

Else bring out any evidence which say other wise that Tejas is lesser in range then Mig-21 or fall short of IAF requirement for its range ..

Also bring the word that DM said any other light fighter besides Tejas, Can replace MIG-21 ..

---

I call these disinformation Spread by different lobbies who are just looking to sell their goods in any opportunity ..
I quoted DM as quoted in stratpost of joshi.

From what I gather the details are hazy :

Tejas might get a small order. Another single engine craft might be inducted in large numbers to replace Mig21.
Rafale numbers will increase.
No word on FGFA induction or any other crafts.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
This is better >>

[video]https://youtu.be/kbLJcQltaE0?t=116[/video]

Precisely >> LCA mk2 will be ready in time and the deal for additional rafales fail then LCA MK2 will replace mmrca or else some other plane will be bought.

==========

Since last Government, MK2 is intended to replace most aircraft in IAF, The number projected is nearly 300, There are different sources for this news ..

Related News from Past >>

IAF is planning to operate 14 sqadron of Tejas of both MK1 & 2 >>

In a written statement tabled in the Lok Sabha on Monday, Antony's deputy, Jitendra Singh, stated, "The MiG-21 and MiG-27 aircrafts of the IAF have already been upgraded and currently equip 14 combat squadrons. These aircraft, however, are planned for being phased out over the next few years and will be replaced by the LCA.".
Source : IAF will buy 14 Tejas squadrons, lowering costs | Business Standard News

--------

India Offers To Spend $12B To Break Monopoly

NEW DELHI — The Indian government, acting on Air Force demands, has offered to spend $12 billion to encourage private firms to establish an aircraft manufacturing facility — a move that would break Hindustan Aeronautics Limited's monopoly on aircraft manufacturing after years of delays on several projects.

Specifically, the Indian government has offered an advance order for the homemade light combat aircraft (LCA) Mark-2, a Defence Ministry source said.

The Indian Air Force has a future requirement for only the next-generation LCA Mark-2, which would be powered by the higher thrust General Electric GE-414 engine. But the aircraft is still in the development stage and is not expected to be ready for production before 2017-18. The Air Force has a requirement for 250 LCA Mark-2s, which the government estimates would be covered by the $12 billion advance order.

Source : India Offers To Spend $12B To Break Monopoly | Defense News | defensenews.com

I quoted DM as quoted in stratpost of joshi.

From what I gather the details are hazy :

Tejas might get a small order. Another single engine craft might be inducted in large numbers to replace Mig21.
Rafale numbers will increase.
No word on FGFA induction or any other crafts.

New threads

Articles