Know Your 'Rafale'

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
I don't think a combo is what the IAF has in mind. And I don't think the IAF plans to structure the air force around the Tejas. Like I mentioned earlier, it will have its place in the IAF and I am sure it has been well thought out. Let us wait and see. Duobtful if our discourse will have any bearing on their decisions.
Our discourse has no bearing on their decision.

The discourse is whether rafale justifies the 5th gen stealth price quoted for it .

And if there are good alternative combo that can do the job at much lower cost with much higher indigenous content can we afford to ignore it.

rafale has a small radar, as of now HMDS enabled exclusive WVRs like R-73 not enabled and not compatiable with russian munitions and missiles.

If we want to add them cost will shoot up further.

And close on the heels of rafale production ending we will have two more inductions starting FGFA and later AMCA both in the same multi billion dollar category.

laughingbuddha

Country flag
So we scrap Rafale, FGFA and AMCA because they're costly and stock up on LCA purely on the basis that it is cheaper and has more local content?
You can't be a cheap nation and try to project strength.
That advert about "kitna dete hai?" fits your philosophy.

Sea Eagle

So we scrap Rafale, FGFA and AMCA because they're costly and stock up on LCA purely on the basis that it is cheaper and has more local content?
We need numbers to match our enemy not just quality.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
RAfale is too costly for what it delivers , nothing else. and originally IAF just wanted another 126 Mirages as late as 2004
which morphed into this MMRCA contract.

So there was no original burning need for a medium weight fighter when we have both light tejas and heavy SU-30 MKI.

Last edited:

halloweene

Tou are getting so tiring, constantly (intently?) confusing fly away costs acquisition costs etc. You know what? during last Garuda exercise in france, 2/3 times Rafale played agressors... And IAF selected it...
About Tejas, it may become a nice light weight short range fighter, but it is not operational.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
After almost 11h of flight, 5 refuelings, two Rafale are deployed on the Reunion Island (French oversea territory in the Indian Ocean) :
L'île de la Réunion accueille pour la première fois le Rafale

So It can fly 2+ hours with a single refuel ..and It takes nearly 11 hours to reach Reunion Island. distance from French mainland to
Reunion Island is about 5,717 miles or 9200 KM ..so nearly 900 KM per Hour or 560 mile Per Hour ..interesting

laughingbuddha

Country flag
Yes, yes, Tejas is cheaper. We know. Nevertheless, the IAF will still buy the Rafale whether you like it or not. That does not mean the Tejas is being left out either. There will be substantial procurement of the Tejas too. For numerical and tactical reasons. And pride too.

Immanuel

Country flag
With Modi talking of cleansing, it appears if they come to power, the first thing they'll do it investigate all such major deals and Rafale deal will no doubt be scrutinized, with many claims of heavy price rise and the initial bid being completely different from eventual deal value, there seems to be plenty of things that were left out during initial bids and later added on.

Rafale deal is not over, IAF may be set on getting it but with delays and increasing cost as days go on, we can clearly say the longer they wait for the deal to be cleared, the less likely it will actually happen.

With clear increase in total costs for just 126 fighters, I don't see how this deal will be cleared at a later date. If estimates of With other services screaming for more funds and clear cuts in Army, there will be further inter service tensions if this highly expensive deal is put through at the expense of cuts else where.

Rafale chances actually get worse by the day :wave:

As for the aircraft itself, its great but yet again Dassault is gloablly reputed for messed up deals & piss poor negotiations.

Patriot

Country flag
We need numbers to match our enemy not just quality.
It is about proper balance of capability of ACs in the air force as well as mission availability of the ACs. Just big numbers do not guarantee a credible air defence. We need to have mix of ACs in IAF to execute various mission as per it's doctrine and threat perception. Most important aspect are independence in terms of use of weapons on the ACs, high availability, low maintenance and easy flow of spare parts.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Yeah for you a joke! Do not make joke of your self by making absurd comments with your prejudiced (distraught) thought process.

DRDO AESA is under development for Tejas MK-2.

What you are saying ELTA PESA is for Tejas:MK-1.
Yes, I am saying that for Mk-1 as well as Mk-2. DRDO is worthless...

halloweene

Absolutely indiatester

Guess whay Immanuel? Do you really think such huge deals are not anticpated by possible change of majority after elections?

Last edited:

Patriot

Country flag
Yes, I am saying that for Mk-1 as well as Mk-2. DRDO is worthless...
I am afraid you are wrong on mk-2 part. I think your prejudiced mindset compelling you to make dumb comments now a days. Very disappointing to see such comments from a senior member like you.

Articles