Know Your 'Rafale'

halloweene

Analysis of Rafale (part one out of three) by test pilot Vianney (Brazil) available on Defesanet.

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
Air&Cosmos 2353:

Page 2:
MMRCA offsets : Thales and Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) signed a joint venture. 74% of the JV will be owned by BEL. 60% of the workload will be transferred to India, 40% will remain in France.

Page 20/24:

CEAM is studying the concept of use of the new RBE2 AESA radar:

- 90 experiment flights scheduled until the end of 2012, 60 flights already done.
- Détection tests with Neuron.
- Tests with Spectra.
- 4 new Rafale AESA will be delivered to EC 1/7 Provence by the end of the year.
- Radar range increased by over 50%.
- Scanning area + / - 70 degrees either side of the axis of the plane.
- Better reliability.
- Number of tracks detected multiplied by 3.
:D
- The system remains fluid for the pilot with the current MMI and calculators.
- The RBE2 AESA will be deployed at the next NATO Tiger Meet in June

Rafale C137 with CEAM insignia:

COURTESY:OLYBRIUS
THANK U FOR THE INFO MATE

redragon

Country flag
Looks like Indian have longer time to prepare themselves to know their "Rafale"

India-France fighter-jet negotiations stall, report - France - India - RFI

French aircraft maker Dassault's negotiations with the Indian government over a 10 billion-euro Rafale jet deal have stalled over the production of some of the fighter-planes in India, reports say.
The sale, one of the biggest defence deals ever, is for the purchse of 126 Rafales.

Negotiations began in January 2012 and Delhi is insisting that Dassault only build 18 with the other 108 being made by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
But Dassault has refused to take responsibility for the planes produced by HAL, according to the Indian Express newspaper, citing anonymous sources.

It wants two separate contracts so that it is not responsible for delays, which could lead to financial penalties, in HAL's factories.

State-run HAL is currently Dassault's partner in upgrading French-made Mirage jets and produces British, Russian and European aircraft under licence.

But Dassault has reservations about its ability to handle the complex manufacturing and technology transfers that are part of the deal.

The Indian government has "completely rejected" Dassault's proposal, the Indian Express says.

The contract will be worth between 10 billion and 16 billion euros and will be the French firm's first export contract for the Rafale, which beat six rivals from Russia, the US and Europe to win it.

European group EADS is reported to be hoping to win it if the current negotiations fall through

redragon

Country flag
I think Eurofighter can be given another chance...therefore..if only they come with a reduced price tag..
I think India can forget about the whole plan, by the time you finish negotiation, both the Euro fighter and Rafale will be out dated. To try to accelerate the T-50 plan might be more efficient.
When you rely on import only, you will always have problems like this one.

p2prada

I think India can forget about the whole plan, by the time you finish negotiation, both the Euro fighter and Rafale will be out dated. To try to accelerate the T-50 plan might be more efficient.
When you rely on import only, you will always have problems like this one.
Rafale isn't meant to fight off new generation fighters, it is for fighting off new generation SAMs, like SA-20 and higher.

FGFA is for the next decade. Rafale is for this decade, so the requirement is different.

This isn't a problem for just imports, anyway the so called problem is exaggerated. It is obvious that, regardless of any difference of opinion Dassault is still negotiating and also signing contracts with other defence industries.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Rafale is on fast track according to all sources. Dassualt is in no position to say no. Expect signing in a couple months.

redragon

Country flag
Rafale is on fast track according to all sources. Dassualt is in no position to say no. Expect signing in a couple months.
Given HAL past record, to be responsible for it's products means high possibility to pay penalty.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Given HAL past record, to be responsible for it's products means high possibility to pay penalty.
Penalty clause will be left out since it will be on HAL to produce it. Gorshkov is totally different when Russia is the supplier.

halloweene

Ty, worked to get it "exclusive" hehe

So much for F35 "unique" DAS capabilities :rofl:

p2prada

There's 7.8NM and 48NM on the image. What do they relate to?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
CHECK YOUR TWELVE!

photo released by JR Vianney on twitter. Lock in the six o'clock using passive sensors and spectra tracks fused. He precised that Rafale could shoot a mica in these conditions.

I think you need extra sensors like AWACS to make that shot. :laugh:

halloweene

No, thats the interesting part... Rafale is able to do it on itself using spectra, passive sensors and data fusion! (Thats what Vianney Riller told me).

Very interesting article on defesanet about Rafale export prospects.
Offer to integrate any pod or weapon Brazil owns (including Dart and Sniper).
Dassault Brazil implies that Rafale had won tech evals and life cycle costs (not flyaway?).
Negociations with the UAE back on track
DefesaNet - rafale - Rafale avança na conquista de sucesso comercial

Could give an idea of what is in MMRCA

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
this is what olybrius says about this pic

I Quote what he says

What i understand:
- A Rafale heading north locked with its passive sensors a target "M2T" located South-South/East , 48 nautical miles behind him. (with a time to target = 6'14'') .
- 286°/50 kt should indicate the wind.
- The green arrow may indicate the current move of the locked target or perhaps the direction where the missile will be launched taking into account several factors (estimated speed and move of the target , the Rafale, the wind... ).
- The green color of the arrow and of "PKG_DA" could indicate that a firing solution is ok and the red symbol below could indicate a weapon (Mica) available (or not) for firing.
But I could be wrong ...

halloweene

I will ask Vially, but... No several questions within 2 days...(btw i am emouchet2)
i think it is (from what i saw on another mirage, quite old)
upper blue, wind speed and azimuth.
upper left, green target, distance and time to mission target (so about 450 knts)
uper right, A2A, distance to target locked (see the W)
+/- 40, distance setting
RDRFLIR = filter.
Green arrow, direction or waypoint (mission target) whey do PKG_DA look like Dassault Parking?
Of course i may be wrong, never flew Rafale.

Articles