Know Your 'Rafale'

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
hmm quite correct :cool2:

well but israeli litening pods looks quite favourite to be install in INDIA'S rafale .Lets see who wins
Northrop Grumman is the only one selling advanced LITENING Pods so the ones you want are American.

p2prada

Northrop Grumman is the only one selling advanced LITENING Pods so the ones you want are American.
It is the same version. I suppose the Israeli version comes with Israeli FLIR.

Litening 3 Advanced Targeting Pod

This is already present on the MKI. EF and the Gripens to South Africa also carry the LITENING III and was sold by the Israelis. They are the primary contractors after all and it was released in 2002.

The Americans have a 1000x1000+ version, no idea if that is exported to India because of lack of information.

We have the LITENING II(and probably II+) also, the same version as what the US uses.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I was referring to the G4 which is the latest LITENING delivered to US war-fighters. It is the sole property of Northrop Grumman. I really doubt India wants to buy obsolete versions.

p2prada

G4 or Litening 4 exceeds PDL-NG. The PDL-NG seems to be equivalent to what IAF already uses in the Litening 2 and 3.

No idea if IAF will opt for gen 4 directly from the US. Since it is a JV, Rafael may sell to its own customers like India while Northrop may sell to customers of its own like Britain.

That's why I said we don't know if G4 has been exported to India or not. Rather it is unreasonable to speculate on this.
The Americans have a 1000x1000+ version, no idea if that is exported to India because of lack of information.

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
Rafael pitches Litening pod for India's fighter contest

both rafael & grunman are co partners ,but US approval is also required but i think that wont be a big problem .

well PDL -Ng is a late thing to do now for france they should have started it earliear i dont think no sensible country like india would wait for such a long time for that instead opt for litening

Mind u india is very satisfied with earliear litening pods installed in MKI :D

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Rafael pitches Litening pod for India's fighter contest

both rafael & grunman are co partners ,but US approval is also required but i think that wont be a big problem .

well PDL -Ng is a late thing to do now for france they should have started it earliear i dont think no sensible country like india would wait for such a long time for that instead opt for litening

Mind u india is very satisfied with earliear litening pods installed in MKI :D
Northrop Grumman has sold its AN/AAQ-28 LITENING pods to a number of customers, for use on a number of different aircraft types. When looking at global coverage and customer bases, however, it's important to note that Northrop Grumman is only 1 of 2 firms producing LITENING pods. Israel's RAFAEL invented the LITENING, and has pursued parallel development and sales of their own LITENING I/II/III/EF models within the framework of their formal agreement with Northrop Grumman. At present, however, G4/SE technology is proprietary to Northrop Grumman, who is working on export clearances but hasn't yet received them.

ATP-SE: LITENING Strikes as USAF Splits Future Targeting Pod Orders
That makes it American technology requiring export license. Certainly not Israeli ownership. PDL-NG will be the equivalent to the G4. That offer was based on the premise a US fighter already configured would win. Rafale would have integration costs making a LITENING offer cost prohibitive. PDL-NG integration comes free of charge so that will be what IAF orders.

p2prada

PDL-NG will be the equivalent to the G4.
If you check only FLIR resolution, then PDL-NG is at the level of a LITENING 3, not LITENING 4.

Rafale News: Damocles XF dropped, PDL NG for 2018
While Damocles only used a 320x240 IR sensor, the PDL NG will use a 640x520 matrix. This resolution will be doubled by a micro-scanning technique, a solution preferred to a 1024 pixels wide matrix.
LITENING G4 has a 1024x1024 matrix.

That offer was based on the premise a US fighter already configured would win. Rafale would have integration costs making a LITENING offer cost prohibitive. PDL-NG integration comes free of charge so that will be what IAF orders.
Integration costs are a fraction of unit costs. Rafale is NATO compatible. Integration of LITENING will be very easy. At the same time, the PDL-NG may come at twice or thrice the actual cost. A single French pod may cost as much as the integration cost for LITENING.

Using a LITENING 3 will be even cheaper option. Even this pod can be upgraded to use a micro scanning technique to increase resolution by two times if the same can be done on the PDL-NG.

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
That makes it American technology requiring export license. Certainly not Israeli ownership.
well i have never said it's completely ISrAELI technology they are co-partners check my previous post & it would obviously require export permission from USA but thats not a big deal
PDL-NG integration comes free of charge so that will be what IAF orders.
but the problem is time read my previous info about it's induction it says it may be around 2018 or 2020 thats too much time i think to be honest

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
well i have never said it's completely ISrAELI technology they are co-partners check my previous post & it would obviously require export permission from USA but thats not a big deal

but the problem is time read my previous info about it's induction it says it may be around 2018 or 2020 thats too much time i think to be honest
Damocles will work fine until PDL-NG is finished in 2018. India won't even get the first Rafale squadron until 2015 since GoI is taking so long.

p2prada

If IAF is given the option of choosing replacements to French sub systems, Damocles will be the first to go. LITENING is any day better.

sathya

Rafale fighter deal to be concluded soon: Indian envoy

LONDON (PTI): The multi-billion dollar contract between the Indian Air Force and the Dassault Aviation of France for the supply of 126 Rafale fighters will be concluded in the next three to four months, India's Ambassador to France has said.

"The Rafale deal is in the final stages and hopefully it should be concluded in the next 3 to 4 months," Ambassador Rakesh Sood told members of the Indian Journalists Association at the India House here on Monday.

Describing the negotiation as hugely complex exercise, Sood said it was after a long time the Indian Air Force has gone out for Rafale fighters which would phase out the ageing MiG-21 fleet of the Soviet era.

"Along with that a pretty stringent clause has been put for transfer of technology, the offset (clause), and Dassault Aviation has accepted them," he said.

The negotiation has moved slower than expected. However, "we are looking at 3 to 4 more months to conclude the agreement," he said.

Dassault is negotiating with the Contract Negotiation Committee.

The 126 Rafale medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA) are set to phase out the ageing MiG-21 fleet of the Soviet era and enhance the air force's strike power.

The cost price of the Rafale fighters has not been spelt out officially, the deal is estimated to be worth $20 billion, due to inordinate delays in the bidding and selection process.

Of the 126 fighters, Dassault is expected to deliver 18 in fly-away condition and licence the state-run defence organisation Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) to build the remaining 108 aircraft at its Bangalore complex.

Rafale emerged as the lowest of the two bidders that were short listed, Typhoon of the European consortium EADS Cassidian being the other contender.

Rafale fighter deal to be concluded soon: Indian envoy - Brahmand.com

p2prada

That is what it looks like on high magnification, it reduces drastically.
The FLIR images released for public consumption are degraded from the actual high res video that is available to operational pilots, Vishnu Som (NDTV editor) pointed that out when he flew in the F-16 during one of the older airshows.

It is such a well known fact.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The FLIR images released for public consumption are degraded from the actual high res video that is available to operational pilots, Vishnu Som (NDTV editor) pointed that out when he flew in the F-16 during one of the older airshows.

It is such a well known fact.
No they are not. If they have something to black out they will, but the video stream is not altered. There is nothing confidential about the resolution of a targeting pod.

Articles