Know Your 'Rafale'

BON PLAN

-*-
Country flag
For all talk of Spectra EW suite, its appears to be quite ineffective against AESA radar or seeker.
Deception jamming is most preferred mode of jamming to protect an asset. It inherently defeats home-on-jam mode, provides less interference with allied system, reduces power power requirement thus allows sustained jamming.
With emergence of AESA radar and seeker AESA jammers have become need for an our that IAF has started testing Israeli AESA jammers.
If you look at the project page you can deduce that the jammer is capable of both deceptive jamming and broard spectrum noise jamming.
At least it seemed to prove very efficient against Su35 PESA radar next year. And If it is efficient against PESA, I don't see why not against an AESA.

Wisemarko

Country flag
At least it seemed to prove very efficient against Su35 PESA radar next year. And If it is efficient against PESA, I don't see why not against an AESA.
You need to see why. That's the huge advantage of AESA over PESA. Read my post above. Deception jamming (method of op of SPECTRA) of a decent sized AESA radars is difficult if not impossible.

SARTHAK

Country flag
Do you have any source to backup the claim. AFAIK their is no current program officially underway. We are still validating our Uttam AESA and our AESA seeker.
AFAIK only after we have mastered these technologies we can venture into AESA jamming pods domain.
Uttam mk2 GaN (confirmed by sameer joshi sir) is in advanced stages , Drdo aspj is in advanced stages ,no country will directly make a GaN based radar without first proving Gan tech in jammers drdo Aspj will hve GaN

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Uttam mk2 GaN (confirmed by sameer joshi sir) is in advanced stages , Drdo aspj is in advanced stages ,
That is what I said. We are still developing and validating our AESA radar be it GaAs or GaN based.
no country will directly make a GaN based radar without first proving Gan tech in jammers drdo Aspj will hve GaN
The above statement makes no sense. Radars and jammers are two different spectrum of independent equipment even though they share lot of technologies.
One can design radar without jammers. GaN is a semiconductor technology that can increase the power TX modules. One can design GaN based radar without first proving GaN tech in jammers. They are mutually exclusive.

Fonck83

Country flag
Done for 42 rafale and 2 scorphène in indonesia
Jakarta, CNBC Indonesia - The government of the Republic of Indonesia and the government of the Republic of France have officially agreed to activate the contract for the purchase of six of the 42 Rafale fighter jets manufactured by Dassault Aviation.

The agreement is one of four signed during a meeting between Indonesian Defense Minister Lt. Gen. TNI (Ret.) Prabowo Subianto and French Armed Forces Minister Florence Parly at the Indonesian Defense Ministry headquarters in Jakarta on Thursday ( 02/10/2022).

"The defense equipment sector plans to acquire important defense equipment for multi-role combat aircraft. We will acquire 42 Rafale aircraft. and the necessary simulators," said Prabowo.

Apart from the Rafale, the other MoUs are as follows:

a. An MoU on cooperation between PT PAL and Naval Group for the purchase of two Scorpene submarines as well as weapons and spare parts and training.

b. The MoU on cooperation between PT Dirgantara Indonesia and Dassault Aviation for the maintenance, repair and overhaul of French aircraft that will be and have been used in Indonesia, including the Rafale aircraft.

c. Cooperation MoU between PT LEN Industri and Thales Alenia Space for the acquisition of defense satellites

re. Memorandum of Understanding on cooperation between PT Pindad and Nexter System for the production of ammunition for land-based weapons

On the same occasion, Parly said that France is committed to supporting Indonesia's strategic program in the defense industry.

"I welcome the signature. We are happy that Indonesia has chosen France for the modernization of defense equipment and I think that Indonesian companies can become partners," Parly said.

He said the Rafale has proven to have technical advantages over other fighter jets.

"This is an important step in the procurement phase of Indonesian defense equipment," said Parly.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I read on the french forum that another order of 36 will be signed in 2022 end although I don't buy it.
In present condition if we order small nos of rafales then it can take a decade as many orders need to be delivered to other countries
Only large order can make them shift assembly unit in India but time period will be same as importing directly
Overall lost opportunity

Fonck83

Country flag
America has to give France something for pulling the rug out of the French in the Australian defense project...
Or perhaps France is not alone to develop its networks over there. I can very well imagine that India has help a lot considering scorphène and rafale community. Even UAE may have intervene with islamic fund ...
That"s only speculations ...

Fonck83

Country flag
Adn If you follow my thought I think that Dassault is on the way to give DRAL a much bigger work with a lot of Rafale made in India.

Fonck83

Country flag
Will French airforce or navy order anymore rafales or are they all in FCAS?
FCAS is in a very bad move considering that german want F-35. I think that we will have a much better value to consider a merge of AMCA and FCAS without german.

Dassault is on the way to make more than 300 rafales before 2030. There are no more capacities available in France. One more customer, like France, and DRAL will be an evidence if not already.

Last edited:

Articles