Know Your 'Rafale'

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
irst is very obvious ,low band jammers i think would be internal rather than pods ,aren't rwr already there?
Spectra don't naturally cover these low bands. It's a previous add on.

Maybe to be seen on UAE Rafale (with probably a financial retrocession to India) because they usually have best version of all the weapons (see F16 : bk60 was the best for long time).

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Banned
No, it's not the last 3.
One remains in France and will be delivered in march or april.
----------------------------------------------------
As when you ordered the first batch, after Egypt and Qatar !
I just hope for you Indonesia not ink a deal soon....
Thanks a lot. I am eager to see all the remaining Rafales Arrive in India.

Merci

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Banned
As for now, 35 are on your soil !
35? I thought the Actual number present with the IAF was 33. I guess I am confusing something with regards to ISE Rafale. Let's see. I am eager to see the last Rafale Arrive in India.

THESIS THORON

Country flag
are we gonna integrate israel's electronic attack pods ??

skyshield

there is a news coming regarding this.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
are we gonna integrate israel's electronic attack pods ??

skyshield

there is a news coming regarding this.

I was hearing this rumors for past some times. We are looking at ELL-8251SB Scorpius - SJ AESA Support Jammer System (SJS) for past some time.

The problem is our current generation of jammers are not particularly effective against AESA Radar and seekers.

Taking into account that both our adversaries have started fielding AESA Radar and AESA seeker based BVR we are actively looking for AESA jammers.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
According to a serious economical french newspaper, 6 Rafale already sold to Indonesia.
Some more to come following next visit of french DM to Indonesia....

I'm waiting another confirmation.

Last edited:

Wisemarko

Country flag
The problem is our current generation of jammers are not particularly effective against AESA Radar and seekers.
Most jammers are ineffective against AESA that have agile frequency hopping and high power output. This ELTA jammer is itself an AESA based jammer but it doesn't mean it can jam all AESA radars.
Jamming is based on two principles: one is deception and second is noise. Deception jamming is basically sending wrong signal back to emitter to confuse it. It works well with pulse Doppler radars that cannot change its frequency too much or too rapidly. But AESA can hop frequency unlimited times! So deception jamming is extremely difficult.

The second option is noise jamming which is basically saturating entire spectrum with excessive "EM noise" to obscure all signals. Unfortunately, AESA radars with enough power can guide missiles with "home-on-jam" ability and "burn through" noise to attack noise emitting jammers. A powerful SAM system with large AESA would do just that.

I don't know the details of this particular jammer but it probably (I hope) employs the second technique with powerful beam to block all operating frequencies of hostile AESA (noise jamming). If the power of hostile radar overwhelms the jammer, it will be exposed. Deception jamming is just too difficult against AESA threats.

Last edited:

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Most jammers are ineffective against AESA that have agile frequency hopping and high power output. This ELTA jammer is itself an AESA based jammer but it doesn't mean it can jam all AESA radars.
Jamming is based on two principles: one is deception and second is noise. Deception jamming is basically sending wrong signal back to emitter to confuse it. It works well with pulse Doppler radars that cannot change its frequency too much or too rapidly. But AESA can hop frequency unlimited times! So deception jamming is extremely difficult.

The second option is noise jamming which is basically saturating entire spectrum with excessive "EM noise" to obscure all signals. Unfortunately, AESA radars with enough power can guide missiles with "home-on-jam" ability and "burn through" noise to attack noise emitting jammers. A powerful SAM system with large AESA would do just that.

I don't know the details of this particular jammer but it probably (I hope) employs the second technique with powerful beam to block all operating frequencies of hostile AESA (noise jamming). If the power of hostile radar overwhelms the jammer, it will be exposed. Deception jamming is just too difficult against AESA threats.
For all talk of Spectra EW suite, its appears to be quite ineffective against AESA radar or seeker.
Deception jamming is most preferred mode of jamming to protect an asset. It inherently defeats home-on-jam mode, provides less interference with allied system, reduces power power requirement thus allows sustained jamming.
With emergence of AESA radar and seeker AESA jammers have become need for an our that IAF has started testing Israeli AESA jammers.
If you look at the project page you can deduce that the jammer is capable of both deceptive jamming and broard spectrum noise jamming.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Highlights
  • Jamming of multiple threats simultaneously with independent directional transmission performed by phased-array electronic steering - Means deceptive jamming
  • Additional internal power generated by a Ram Air Turbine
  • High degree of time / frequency selectivity for effective operation in a dense emitter environment
  • Exceptionally high RF sensitivity and effective radiated power (ERP)
  • Accurate and rapid threat Direction Finding (DF)

SARTHAK

Country flag
drdo is already developing AESA GaN jaming pods and radars so we not much far away

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
drdo is already developing AESA GaN jaming pods and radars so we not much far away
Do you have any source to backup the claim. AFAIK their is no current program officially underway. We are still validating our Uttam AESA and our AESA seeker.
AFAIK only after we have mastered these technologies we can venture into AESA jamming pods domain.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles