Kaveri Engine

Alamarathan

Country flag
50-52kN dry is same as GE404INS6 , 73kN can easily fulfil requirements of Tejas Trainer variant.
Get our lads as many training hours as they want with domestic engine and take invaluable feedback from ground support and pilots.
But First just make sure that engine is reliable for usage of thousands upon thousand hours.
Iirc,year ago saurav jha said one of the tejas lsp was getting prepared for flying testbed for kaveri

What happened to that?

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag
Iirc,year ago saurav jha said one of the tejas lsp was getting prepared for flying testbed for kaveri

What happened to that?
At current we don't have airframes to do that job. Also Single engine fighter to validate new engine, no way we are going to do that. It will be a Mig 29 with one is Kaveri and another will be RD engine.

But what we need is to get an fucking Test bed like 747, il 76

Chinmoy

Country flag

Roland55

Country flag
Might be a bit soon, but seeing the first "images" of the design of HLFT-42 i wondered if that could be a candidate for the Kaveri engine, given that the performance its giving (at least the recent 73kn with AF and 50ish dry) will do pretty well for an aircraft of its class. Or its just gonna be F404? (or it could be both options i guess)

Chinmoy

Country flag
I know we are already developing. Issue when we will have commercial ready engines ?
Do you know what is our issue? We want everything at the click of finger.

Turbine blades are 'One of the important aspect' of an engine, not 'The only aspect'.

Russia is making engines for so long. But are those commercially viable? By making a SCB or DSCB you can't claim that you are going to make a commercial ready engine.

For example, if today we built a stable 50 kn engine and want to built a 90 kn thrust one, what would be the way forward?
The Russian way is to increase the number of spools. We could go on and do the same. But the down side would be increase in weight. The same happened with Kaveri. So making a crystal blade is not enough. We have to study and design the spool itself to increase the pressure. There comes the spool design along with crystal blade technology.
But increasing the pressure on spool means increasing the vibration on shaft. So along with spool designing we have to work on shaft designing.

These are the issues we faced with Kaveri. There are multiple facet of a commercially viable engine to be taken care of even before making a prototype.

TopWatcher

Country flag
Do you know what is our issue? We want everything at the click of finger.

Turbine blades are 'One of the important aspect' of an engine, not 'The only aspect'.

Russia is making engines for so long. But are those commercially viable? By making a SCB or DSCB you can't claim that you are going to make a commercial ready engine.

For example, if today we built a stable 50 kn engine and want to built a 90 kn thrust one, what would be the way forward?
The Russian way is to increase the number of spools. We could go on and do the same. But the down side would be increase in weight. The same happened with Kaveri. So making a crystal blade is not enough. We have to study and design the spool itself to increase the pressure. There comes the spool design along with crystal blade technology.
But increasing the pressure on spool means increasing the vibration on shaft. So along with spool designing we have to work on shaft designing.

These are the issues we faced with Kaveri. There are multiple facet of a commercially viable engine to be taken care of even before making a prototype.
No, issue is govt not serious , i know series of steps to follow to get reliable commercial engine.

But what lacking improper funding from govt. I dont know why govt keeping close eye in that.

Chinmoy

Country flag
No, issue is govt not serious , i know series of steps to follow to get reliable commercial engine.

But what lacking improper funding from govt. I dont know why govt keeping close eye in that.
What you think? How much fund is required or enough for engine development?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles