Kaveri Engine

Vijyes

Cryogenic engine is use and throw. This game is entirely different. Creep,Fatigue,endurance is a bitch.
It is better to use indian engine with 500 hours of life than foreign with 2000 hours of life (GE F404).

salute

It is better to use indian engine with 500 hours of life than foreign with 2000 hours of life (GE F404).
but during real war , engine that runs for longer duration without maintenance gonna require which is currently ge engine .

Vijyes

but during real war , engine that runs for longer duration without maintenance gonna require which is currently ge engine .
It is easier to mass manufacture Indian engines than foreign ones. It is better to make 100 engines in India than import 10 foreign engines. In war, all the economy can be geared for war production, diverting all resources from consumption goods

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The Indian engine will not be 500hrs as implied so does spares available in mass and modification can be done at will let it be IAF technicians or via scientific personal at research center ..

After every flight, every engine require some spare change, even at HAL their are plenty of parts are still being imported due to lack of ToT or its understanding ..

no smoking

Country flag
I have a bit correction , it was rumoured that The WS-10 may have been based on the core of the CFM-56II (itself based on the General Electric F101); China purchased two CFM-56IIs in the 1980s. It may be because the initial Engines ws-10a has a poor life of only 30 hrs.
Than they found their solution by reverse engineered al-31 and get improved ws-10B. But it still can't match al-31.

Correct me, if there is something to be corrected
It is not rumor, Americans caught Chinese pans off. They questioned the Chinese government by showing Chinese official document of reverse-engineering CFM56.
I don't know how bad the WS-10 was at the beginning, but I won't be surprised even if they it was only of 10 hours life because that is what you can expect from a new generation engine. It happened in US as well as Soviet.
And no, WS-10A was the one in mass production, which is a downgrade WS-10 because Chinese industrial departments couldn't match the US technologies used in CFM56 at the time.

WS-10B was just verified its design years ago, not mass production yet.

salute

It is easier to mass manufacture Indian engines than foreign ones. It is better to make 100 engines in India than import 10 foreign engines. In war, all the economy can be geared for war production, diverting all resources from consumption goods
yeah , but my comment was not about indian or foreign engine , it was about engine with longer run with less maintenance , it could be indian engine ,

the point me was stating that currently ge engine is only engine for that as indian engine is not ready for it .

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
The Indian engine will not be 500hrs as implied so does spares available in mass and modification can be done at will let it be IAF technicians or via scientific personal at research center ..

After every flight, every engine require some spare change, even at HAL their are plenty of parts are still being imported due to lack of ToT or its understanding ..
What is the life span of the jet engines presently in the IAF inventory.

SanjeevM

Country flag
India has got talent. However In today's world organizations/corporations hire talent from across the world. Even NASA has many Indians working. Can't DRDO hire experienced engineers from Russia or France or other countries and pay them a better package and get faster development and finish the remaining tasks on Kaveri?

I believe Russian engineers will switch for better pay package over what they are currently drawing. We can also hunt for manpower in other countries as well with relevant experience. We can take service of placement consultants in India or abroad to approach such engineers instead of giving advertisements in Indian papers.

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
What is the life span of the jet engines presently in the IAF inventory.
If I'm not Wrong su-30mki has service life of al-31fp of 400hrs.
And in overall IAF inventory migs have reserve for worst Engine life whereas Mirage have a very decent life in IAF inventory filled by Jag , Sukhoi and migs
LCA is not included because of low numbers.

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
India has got talent. However In today's world organizations/corporations hire talent from across the world. Even NASA has many Indians working. Can't DRDO hire experienced engineers from Russia or France or other countries and pay them a better package and get faster development and finish the remaining tasks on Kaveri?

I believe Russian engineers will switch for better pay package over what they are currently drawing. We can also hunt for manpower in other countries as well with relevant experience. We can take service of placement consultants in India or abroad to approach such engineers instead of giving advertisements in Indian papers.
Caste based reservation ruined it all.
Recently, DRDO hired 3 scientists by open procedure but point to be noted that all 3 posts are reserved for SC& ST.

Vijyes

Recently, DRDO hired 3 scientists by open procedure but point to be noted that all 3 posts are reserved for SC& ST.
AFAIK, scientists and army is exempt from reservations. It might be just engineers

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
AFAIK, scientists and army is exempt from reservations. It might be just engineers
There was a notification in the news paper , it might be 2-4 months ago.
The post was referred as scientist "B" and in the description column it clearly states that "0" for UR & OBC.
I strictly believe that doctors & scientists should be free from caste & religion based reservation.

no smoking

Country flag

I can guarantee you, everyone of them, as long as he or she participates or ever participated any critical military technological project, is under closely monitoring of intelligent department. They can't even go overseas travelling without special approval.

Kchontha

Country flag
FB_IMG_1501678071424.jpg

These ate the latest assault rifle supplied to an Indian state police force. Quite similar to modified AKs used by the Indian army in counter terrorism in J&K!?? Requested the expert in this forum to throw some light.

airtel

Country flag
there is no caste based reservations in DRDO & ISRO .........for posts of Engineers & scientists .

Can You post the official notification in which 3 seats were reserved for SC/ST ?

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
there is no caste based reservations in DRDO & ISRO .........for posts of Engineers & scientists .

Can You post the official notification in which 3 seats were reserved for SC/ST ?
I have to check out my old newspaper stock for it.
As far as I remember, the all posts are for "Research Associate". My brother wants to apply for it but unable to do so Bcoz of such conditions and he shared it with me. That's why I remember it till now.
As soon as I got it, I'll post it here.

airtel

Country flag
I have to check out my old newspaper stock for it.
As far as I remember, the all posts are for "Research Associate". My brother wants to apply for it but unable to do so Bcoz of such conditions and he shared it with me. That's why I remember it till now.
As soon as I got it, I'll post it here.

here is official advertisement of Research Associates in DRDO >> it is available on DRDO website . source = https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/English/Advt_JRF-RA_INMAS-Apr-2017.pdf

you can check it , there is Age /fee relaxation for SC/ST but there are no caste based reservations .

Attachments

Last edited:

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
No. There are multiple reasons for this:

1. Scientists and engineers working on critical tech. are state assets. Any engineer/scientist that has worked in these areas of technology will be prohibited to work for a foreign entity to defeat espionage. Even private technology companies have clauses that do not allow employees to work in a similar project for a competing firm.

2. How is the government going to justify spending money on hiring foreigners? Will they be working inside HAL/ADA, DRDO, OFB? If yes, then majority of their teams would still be the same people who are not delivering now. Secondly, these organizations are have their budgets and are autonomous to a large extent and any attempt to breach their autonomy will be resisted. These are strike-khor sarkaari babus we are talking about.

3. The way U.S attracts foreign workers is via its education system and then employs them. Many of the scientists working in NASA have completed their higher education from American universities and found employment there. Money is not the only factor, life in a lot of western nations is better than in India and they can find better academic as well as professional opportunities there.

4. You want to make India an attractive destination for foreign workforce? Overhaul the higher education system, get investments from the industry, improve law and order and increase the standard of living. It is a tall order.

Forget it. The only way we can let Russian engineers is with Russian government consent. You can not treat scientists like mercenaries. And there is no way Russia is lending its engineers to destroy their largest aviation market.

Placements? Dude, PSUs do not hire like this. For junior positions you need to clear an exam and then you get a job for life.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles