INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Immanuel

Country flag

Look at some of the INSASs here. They have an old fashion fold-able stock.

INSAS looks mean, all the guys doing room clearance have the foldable stock and reflex red dots. Some clever mods to the rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Waffen SS

@Kunal Biswas, please clear your inbox, I need to send you a message.

Dont you think INSAS's magazine is a bit small and so is it's bullet holding capability? I mean why Army uses 22 round magazines? Why not 30 round bigger magazines? :why:

Army says using light bullets will enable you to carry more bullets thus making you able to stay in combat for longer time, so INSAS uses 5.56 mm if so then why Army uses 22 round small magazines? :frusty::confused:

It seems here Army does not follow their own logic?:hmm:

DivineHeretic

Country flag

Dont you think INSAS's magazine is a bit small and so is it's bullet holding capability? I mean why Army uses 22 round magazines? Why not 30 round bigger magazines? :why:

Army says using light bullets will enable you to carry more bullets thus making you able to stay in combat for longer time, so INSAS uses 5.56 mm if so then why Army uses 22 round small magazines? :frusty::confused:

The magazine is actually 25 round, not 22. But to enhance the spring life the magazine is loaded till 22 rounds only. Its a very common practice, even the 30 round magazines hold 27-28 rounds only.

I cant tell you the philosophy behind the 25 round box v/s the 30 round box, but The French FAMAS too is usually used with a 25 round magazine. So there must be some reason for this rather odd choice.

acetophenol

Country flag

some thing i've observed is that,if the 30 round mags of insas lmg is used for regular insas,the mag will hit the ground when the soldier lie down.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

Army has this rule for its soldiers for enemy

in emergency they can use 3 bust mode so that if not three at least one or two will hit the enemy.

Now if you tend to give higher number of bullet per soldier
then when comes under fire, which is stressful situation for any one, soldier will tend to use more bullets per target then what one goli one enemy rule. Therefore they are trained on this rule.

So if you use lets say 5-6 bullets per enemy then you tend to run out of ammo fast. Then you will first need faster replenishment and more bullets, that will only going to increase the logistics and backend problem of army. You have to concentrate more on replenishment then on actual war fighting.

Therefore each soldier is issued 100 rounds and 5 magazines.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Army has this rule for its soldiers for enemy

in emergency they can use 3 bust mode so that if not three at least one or two will hit the enemy.

Now if you tend to give higher number of bullet per soldier
then when comes under fire, which is stressful situation for any one, soldier will tend to use more bullets per target then what one goli one enemy rule. Therefore they are trained on this rule.

So if you use lets say 5-6 bullets per enemy then you tend to run out of ammo fast. Then you will first need faster replenishment and more bullets, that will only going to increase the logistics and backend problem of army. You have to concentrate more on replenishment then on actual war fighting.

Therefore each soldier is issued 100 rounds and 5 magazines.
If its the army's theory then its a dumb theory.Actually 5.56 ammo was inducted so that men could carry mooree ammo even though it llacks the sheer power possessed by both 7.62 russian and NATO rounds.No other nation except one or two are issuing 20 round mags for 5.56 chambered weapons.In the case of SLR 20 round mags was justifiable but incase of INSAS 22 round mags are bit short.Plus the 3 round burst means the soolddierr could fire only 7 shots from a single mag.If it was 30 mag then the same one could fire 10 complete 3 round shots.
In an ambush by outnumbered enemies the number of rounds really matters.The MOD is shelling out crores of money for unwanted products and they couldn't afford too provide some extra ammo for the common infantry man.What an irony>phew:p

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
If its the army's theory then its a dumb theory.Actually 5.56 ammo was inducted so that men could carry mooree ammo even though it llacks the sheer power possessed by both 7.62 russian and NATO rounds.
Real reason for 5.56 ammo is to wound the enemy rather them to kill. That is why 7.62 is discontinued.

Neil

Country flag
End of the line for the Insas rifle

After nearly two decades in service, the Insas rifle — the mainstay of Indian security forces — is on its way out.

Launched in 1994 by Rifle Factory, Ishapore (RFI), the weapon underwent further development over the years and faced its acid test during the Kargil conflict five years later. Now, RFI is in the process of winding up the production line and concentrating on development of a multi-caliber weapon designed by the Armament Research and Development Establishment ( ARDE) in Pune.

"The Insas rifle proved its worth over the last 20 years. It will continue to serve for some more time till the multi-barrel rifle goes into production. We still recall the day when RFI supplied the first batch of 4,000 rifles to the Army in March, 1994. There were initial hiccups but the glitches were gradually ironed out. There was extreme pressure during the Kargil Conflict as damaged and jammed weapons returned to the factory and fresh lots had to be sent out. Workers at Ishapore worked day and night to repair and clean the guns and make them battle-ready," an official said.

After meeting the country's war reserves, RFI started meeting the demands of central paramilitary forces. Finally, state police forces also replaced their 7.62 mm self loading rifles with the lighter 5.56 mm Insas.

"At that time, it was the only answer to the AK-47 assault rifles used by terrorists and enemy soldiers. The 7.62 mm SLRs — also manufactured at Ishapore — were far too heavy and un-maneuverable for the infantry soldier to react fast enough. The concept of battle also changed. It was no longer thought necessary to kill an enemy soldier with a heavy-caliber 7.62 mm slug. Strategists suggested that it would be better to injure the enemy with a lighter 5.56 mm one and leave him. This would burden his comrades as they wouldn't be able to leave him lying behind in that condition. Today, a more advanced weapon in required," the official added.

A multi-caliber assault rifle (MCAR) can be used to fire different rounds, depending on the range a soldier wants to achieve and the damage he wishes to cause. In November, 2011, the Army floated a tender for the supply of MCARs. Apart from supply, the deal envisaged manufacture of the weapons in India under licence. Several international arms manufacturers participated in the tender.

"This is a major challenge for us. The Army wants over 65,000 MCARs in the first lot and 100,000 more to be manufactured under licence in India. We will have to come up with a rifle that can clear user trials. If this doesn't happen, the Army will have to depend on supplies from abroad. Even if one were to assume that the deal is clean, it would be a big blow for a factory like ours. We can't survive without bulk orders from the defence forces. We are now working very hard to develop an indigenous MCAR as per the ARDE's design," another official said.

End of the line for the Insas rifle | idrw.org

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
IMA Cadets so does the once in OTA and IMA are given INSAS 1B1, The black one is improved INSAS 1B1 ..

======================
======================

I think very much ' yes ' but according to people who made the GSQR thought that 30rnd magazine would touch the ground when firing in prone position and cause issues when aiming in prone position, Which is in practical not the case ..

INSAS AR use 22rnd magazine & INSAS LMG use 30rnd Magazine, 30rnd magaizne can be used from LMG to AR, I have tried it but unfortunately could not take pictures ..

======================
======================
@sayareakd Sir, OFB made 5.56mm are design to kill not wound ..

I think that INSAS 1B is the rifle that is used by the IMA cadets....

The magazine is actually 25 round, not 22. But to enhance the spring life the magazine is loaded till 22 rounds only. Its a very common practice, even the 30 round magazines hold 27-28 rounds only.

I cant tell you the philosophy behind the 25 round box v/s the 30 round box, but The French FAMAS too is usually used with a 25 round magazine. So there must be some reason for this rather odd choice.
If its the army's theory then its a dumb theory.Actually 5.56 ammo was inducted so that men could carry mooree ammo even though it llacks the sheer power possessed by both 7.62 russian and NATO rounds.No other nation except one or two are issuing 20 round mags for 5.56 chambered weapons.In the case of SLR 20 round mags was justifiable but incase of INSAS 22 round mags are bit short.Plus the 3 round burst means the soolddierr could fire only 7 shots from a single mag.If it was 30 mag then the same one could fire 10 complete 3 round shots.
In an ambush by outnumbered enemies the number of rounds really matters.The MOD is shelling out crores of money for unwanted products and they couldn't afford too provide some extra ammo for the common infantry man.What an irony>phew:p
Real reason for 5.56 ammo is to wound the enemy rather them to kill. That is why 7.62 is discontinued.

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles