INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There are no news, Kalantak is a Indian M4 carbine..

Afaik, Its still running may be for paramilitary..

Kunal Boss what's happening with the 'Kalantak' ? is the user trials still ongoing or has it been rejected by the IA ?

kshkumsin

Re: New Assault Rifles for Indian Army

notice the difference in which they carry their guns.its all because of weight even the tactics are compromised.Well i belive our troops should get best

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

@kshkumsin Please post the weight of other rifles and that of INSAS.

Last edited by a moderator:

kshkumsin

@kshkumsin Please post the weight of other rifles and that of INSAS.
insas-4.25kg
ARX 160-3.1kg or 3 kg
tavor TAR 21-2.95kg(mtar21)
galil ace-2.80 or 3.30 or 3.44kg
cz 805-3.6 kg

Last edited by a moderator:

kshkumsin

and
m4 carbine-2.88kg
m16-3.26kg

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

insas-4.25kg
ARX 160-3.1kg or 3 kg
cz 805-3.6 kg
insas-4.25kg introduce in 1997 and inducted in 1998
INSAS rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ARX 160-3.1kg or 3 kg
The ARX-160 is an assault rifle manufactured by Pietro Beretta S.p.A.. Developed for the Italian armed forces as part of the Soldato Futuro (Future Soldier in English) program, the ARX-160 has been launched in the year 2008
Beretta ARX 160 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The TAR-21 (or simply Tavor) is an Israeli bullpup assault rifle chambered for 5.56×45mm NATO ammunition with a selective fire system, selecting between semi-automatic mode and full automatic fire mode. It is named after Mount Tabor, while "TAR-21" stands for "Tavor Assault Rifle – 21st Century". Since 2009, it has been selected as the standard issued weapon of the Israeli infantry.
IMI Tavor TAR-21 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cz 805-3.6 kg
The CZ 805 assault rifle was first introduced to the public in 2009, as a possible future replacement for the dated Sa vz. 58 assault rifle still in use by Armed Forces of Czech Republic. In 2010, the CZ 805 was selected as a next standard military rifle for Czech armed forces,
CZ-805 BREN - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

all of them are newly developed rifles. Please understand that we have one of the worlds toughest environments in the world from snow to sand to desert and to our north east. Lets wait for the result of the trials of the rifles to see if they can fulfill our GSQR.

BTW please try to compare the prices of the rifle.

kshkumsin

insas-4.25kg introduce in 1997 and inducted in 1998
INSAS rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ARX 160-3.1kg or 3 kg

Beretta ARX 160 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMI Tavor TAR-21 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cz 805-3.6 kg

CZ-805 BREN - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

all of them are newly developed rifles. Please understand that we have one of the worlds toughest environments in the world from snow to sand to desert and to our north east. Lets wait for the result of the trials of the rifles to see if they can fulfill our GSQR.

BTW please try to compare the prices of the rifle.
but sir that is why i am saying to move on and these guns manufacturers are known for their reliability.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

I as a user would stay away from those gun, tactics and they way we use our Rifles are different and i see no problems in our tactics..

Why i stick to Insas :

1. Field maintenance time and ease as it follows AK design
2. Less complications hence lesser moving parts again from AK design
3. High accuracy and precision from M16 type Iron sight with longer barrel

Now you search field manual of M16 and its maintenance and study cut-way pictures of AK and M16, You will get your answer..

[notice the difference in which they carry their guns.its all because of weight even the tactics are compromised.Well i belive our troops should get best
=====================================

Old data on Insas 1B not 1B1..

The new Rifle is a 1kg lesser than previous loaded..

Lesser than galil ace and others..

insas-4.25kg
ARX 160-3.1kg or 3 kg
cz 805-3.6 kg

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

You can always find information of stoppages when comparing M16/m4 design with AK designs..

AK designs always win coz of simplicity..

but sir that is why i am saying to move on and these guns manufacturers are known for their reliability.

kshkumsin

I as a user would stay away from those gun, tactics and they way we use our Rifles are different and i see no problems in our tactics..

Why i stick to Insas :

1. Field maintenance time and ease as it follows AK design
2. Less complications hence lesser moving parts again from AK design
3. High accuracy and precision from M16 type Iron sight with longer barrel

Now you search field manual of M16 and its maintenance and study cut-way pictures of AK and M16, You will get your answer..

=====================================

Old data on Insas 1B not 1B1..

The new Rifle is a 1kg lesser than previous loaded..

Lesser than galil ace and others..

kshkumsin

i don't see much difference considering magpul masada is a new design

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Much clear picture >>

AK design rifles have much lesser moving parts, You can search more things based on these two photos..

As you never used an Military AR or clean or strip, this is the limit i can tell you..

====================

Masada is improved over M4, But nothing like AK & follow same design of M4 so does intensive maintenance..

i don't see much difference considering magpul masada is a new design

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

INSAS which follow AK design offer greater reliability with equal accuracy to today`s top A R..

WMD

hi, i'm a new member here
IMO INSAS is heavier than new ARs and it has ergonomics problem.
besides IA is going to replace INSAS ARs with modern ones, there's a RFI issued abt it.

The Fox

If Insas is as good as any modern Rifle available in the market then why is the Indian army and the MOD wants to change this gun all they need is to create a barrel support 7.62 mm and make it interchangeable with the gun and once that is done wala u got a multi calibre interchangeable high accurate assault Rifle its just tweak few things here and there u get a modern gun or take the same design and make it more modular and modern with add on features i do believe the Babus in the OFB are smart enough to redesign already existing ones all u need to have is internet and study different AR's and select the ones u need and leave the need not's , don't believe me look at USA UK Germany Russia...................

Last edited:

WMD

If Insas is as good as any modern Rifle available in the market then why is the Indian army and the MOD wants to change this gun all they need is to create a barrel support 7.62 mm and make it interchangeable with the gun and once that is done wala u got a multi calibre interchangeable high accurate assault Rifle its just tweak few things here and there u get a modern gun or take the same design and make it more modular and modern with add on features i do believe the Babus in the OFB are smart enough to redesign already existing ones all u need to have is internet and study different AR's and select the ones u need and leave the need not's , don't believe me look at USA UK Germany Russia...................
IMO INSAS is not as good as any modern rifle,
its heavier, its an old design, it also faced jamming problems (which is rectified), most modern ARs r of bullpup design, i'm also doubtful abt its accuracy compared to modern bullpup AR.
Bullpup design makes the barrel shorter, even the primary assault rifle of China is of bullpup design instead of being russian influenced.
DRDO has a multi-calibre AR program which is undergoing trials, its high time for us to put behind the russian design and manufacture our own.
i believe we can do better than INSAS.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles