INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

p2prada

According to Ray sir, the gun is good. Just that it is harder to maintain than the ol' AK-47 and soldiers tend to get too lazy to maintain the more complex rifle and spoil it in the process. Something similar happened to the Nepali soldiers, I read. Guns jammed in the cold during a fight with Maoists, OFB put the blame on the soldiers from what I recollect. I could be wrong though.

Personally, I don't know anything about guns and rifles.

Rage

DFI TEAM
@Kunal Biswas

I don't think the color has anything to do with it bud. The article clearly mentions that multiple examples (of from the looks of it, 1B1) were tested and that the iron or manganese phosphate coating caused the SAF rifles to appear darker (blacker) than their RFI counterparts that had a zinc phosphate finish.

Unless there's an older version of the 1B1 being referred to.

Of course, I'm not an end user of the product. And I give somebody like you more weightage when analyzing opinion.. But I tend to find that positive reviews of the INSAS usually have lower benchmarks than negative ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

cloud_9

Country flag
Its a very strong rifle, It can endure explosion inside chamber where most cannot..
Strength viz-a-viz weight.They can get rid of the extra weight of rivets and lower the thickness of the sheet metal.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@Rage, As i told you about my views on article, So wont be commenting again..

As a user of the Rifle which never failed me, I find its offensive and hurting listing to all those remarks from people who never hold firearm at all..

@Kunal Biswas
Of course, I'm not an end user of the product. And I give somebody like you more weightage when analyzing opinion.. But I tend to find that positive reviews of the INSAS usually have lower benchmarks than negative ones.
------------------
------------------

As per the new metallurgy the thickness is increased but weight is decreased it improves Rifle safety and noise reduction..

Strength viz-a-viz weight.They can get rid of the extra weight of rivets and lower the thickness of the sheet metal.

pmaitra

@cloud_9, you have a point, but some of those 'rivets' are probably fulcrums for different levers inside the gun.

cloud_9

Country flag
@cloud_9, you have a point, but some of those 'rivets' are probably fulcrums for different levers inside the gun.
That's too many fulcrums for a gun :p
The thing I'm trying to say is that the babus on the drafting table are not revising their designs properly and incorporating simple thing that will help them polish their product.
Do the different PSU defence manufacturers share their know how with each other like DRDO and OFB sharing info on different alloys.

PS - [Offtopic] Oh I tried having a look @ the career section of DRDO & OFB.The recruitment is a big joke,hence the performance...minimum qualification 60% for General and nothing for SC/ST,max age 30 yrs for G & 37 yrs for ST :cerealspit:

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
Any photos of 30 round Magazines being used in the INSAS Rifle?I believe LMG magazines can be used yes?

Damian

What was the reason standing behind decision to issue 20 rounds magazines instead of 30 rounds magazines? As far as I know, INSAS use 5,56x45mm ammunition, so there should be no problems with standard 30 round magazines yes?

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Well, now that INSAS is stopped, there is no use in discussing about it. I think INSAS deserves a better chance......

Politicians are trying to fill their pockets by ordering guns from foreign vendors.....

Many people who work in the OFB will loose their jobs and livelihood now.......

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
When People making GSQR for INSAS think that 30 round Magazine is long and when Solider fire from prone position, the magazine will touch the ground and will hamper aiming.. :facepalm:

On ground its very different story :

Insas Magazine is of same size as these are..

What was the reason standing behind decision to issue 20 rounds magazines instead of 30 rounds magazines? As far as I know, INSAS use 5,56x45mm ammunition, so there should be no problems with standard 30 round magazines yes?
-------------------------

Only Army Stopped the order, Police and Paramilitary not..

Well, now that INSAS is stopped, there is no use in discussing about it. I think INSAS deserves a better chance......Many people who work in the OFB will loose their jobs and livelihood now.......

Abhi9

Country flag
I think DRDO should stop doing army requirements. They always a predilection for foreign product. Instead of contributing towards indigenous products they always change GSQR or undermine indian products. They are filled with idk "corrupt"

They don't believe in continous evolution of products but they opt for the expensive and easy way out. Navy sets the best example for the army.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
When People making GSQR for INSAS think that 30 round Magazine is long and when Solider fire from prone position, the magazine will touch the ground and will hamper aiming.. :facepalm:

On ground its very different story :

Insas Magazine is of same size as these are..

Only Army Stopped the order, Police and Paramilitary not..
:thumb:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles