INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
PK design cannot be compared with FN-MAG, Its very obvious ..

Correct comparison can be with American M240 which is also FN-MAG derivative and weighted around 11.6 kgs or modern Barrett 240 LWS which is further lighter version of M240 essentially FN-MAG and weighted around 10 kgs with bi pod ..

OFB`s 9kg GPMG with bipod is gud enough for an FN-MAG derivative ..

============

Besides all this their won`t be a new factory line for this GPMG but rather MMG assembly line will be modified a little for GPMG,This saves time ..

Further no additional trails as MMG is tested design ..

They need to shave off at least 1kg of weight,PKP and negev NG-7 are around 8kg.Effective range need to be increased to 1000m with scope.I feel the photo should have been taken from side.

PKP can sustain continuous 600 rounds of fire with same barrel ,due to its heavy barrel and forced air cooling.Still it's lighter than this.

Kay

Country flag
No idea why OFB is in love with the carrying handle:confused1:

ghost

No idea why OFB is in love with the carrying handle:confused1:
This is required because this gun does not have any active system to prevent heating up of the barrel,so to prevent ammo cooking off or barrel blowing up due to heat and to maintain sustain rate of fire ,the barrel need to be changed when its get hot.For this purpose gunner carries a spare barrel,when the barrel heat up the gunner swap the hot barrel with the spare barrel through the carrying handle without getting in touch with the hot barrel or using heavy protection gloves.

So,this is required for quick barrel change .By the time one barrel gets hot the other one get cool,thus they can maintain sustain rate of firing by rotating between the two barrels.This carrying handle is attached to the barrel by design for easy unlocking,removal and placing and locking of the barrel in the gun.

In absence of carrying handle they have to use protective glove.

You can see quick barrel swap with the help of a carrying handle.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

In practice the design has more to do with carrying which is more often than changing the barrel, This feature is used to carry a firearm like suitcase, It ease the burden in long run ( Long marches ) ..

Let it be PK, Bren or INSAS LMG or 1B1 itself carried in similar way when seems necessary ..

Actually this is one of the requirement of IA.
This is required because this gun does not have any active system to prevent heating up of the barrel,so to prevent ammo cooking off or barrel blowing up due to heat and to maintain sustain rate of fire ,the barrel need to be changed when its get hot.For this purpose gunner carries a spare barrel,when the barrel heat up the gunner swap the hot barrel with the spare barrel through the carrying handle without getting in touch with the hot barrel or using heavy protection gloves.

So,this is required for quick barrel change .By the time one barrel gets hot the other one get cool,thus they can maintain sustain rate of firing by rotating between the two barrels.This carrying handle is attached to the barrel by design for easy unlocking,removal and placing and locking of the barrel in the gun.

In absence of carrying handle they have to use protective glove.

You can see quick barrel swap with the help of a carrying handle.

Zero-Sum-Game

I am new over here and I am well aware of my limited privileges on forum but curiosity is getting better of me. I just wanted an educated opinion on fact that ofb is actually basing new 7.62 × 51 mm rifle on Ak103.
Basing the design on AK 103 is bad idea.Army needs a modern automatic and accurate rifle that is reliable and durable but AK series weapons or at least AK 103 or its predecessors are built for it's reliability and ruggedness with little effort on accuracy as they feature 3 to 4 rifling grooves in barrel. AKM kicks like a mule on full auto , so I can't imagine the recoil on 7.62×51mm rifle which features much heavier round. Then you have the issue of muzzle climb.

Zero-Sum-Game

Sir, the new machine gun is designated as GPMG where as pkp and Negev are LMGs as in light machine gun . Most probably, given the Indian army doctrines they will be filling two different roles as they are different weapon systems.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In Indian context, Machine gun feed on magazine is LMG where as a belt feed is either a MMG or GPMG ..

Regarding the rifle 7.62 Nato associated with AK design is yet to be shown to pass further comments ..

bole

Country flag
I think OFB 7.62 NATO referring here is the bolt action sniper rifle adjacent to AK-103.

New threads

Articles