INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

rishivashista13

Country flag
Ex caliber deal is fixed , it is selected as next assalt rifle.
and for 7.62 ×39 mm we will have MCIWS and AR 2 .
And where this new concept of 7.62 × 51mm (snipers caliber) in assalt rifles come I dont know .

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Army has launched a fresh hunt for a new-generation assault rifle all over again. Rejecting the 5.56x45mm calibre Excalibur rifle offered by the DRDO-Ordnance Factory Board combine, the force has now decided to go in for a 7.62x51mm gun with “higher kill probability and stopping power”. In the race to acquire high-end weapon systems, from submarines and fighters to howitzers and helicopters, basic weaponry and protective gear for ordinary foot-soldiers often do not get the requisite attention and push by the brass. But the Army says it means business this time, shrugging aside failed attempts to acquire new rifles over the last decade. The RFI (request for information) for the new 7.62mm assault rifles is going to be issued soon to elicit responses from around the globe. “The GSQRs (general staff qualitative requirements) or technical parameters for the rifles will then be formulated before the actual tender is floated to invite bids,” said a source. It was in April that the Army commanders’ conference first discussed whether the force required a 7.62mm rifle that “killed” or a 5.56mm rifle that “incapacitated” enemy soldiers, as was then reported by TOI. “The decision has now been taken to go for 7.62x51mm rifles with a higher kill probability and accuracy at an enhanced effective range of 500-metre,” said the source. The military wisdom till now was that the 5.56mm rifle was better for conventional war because it generally injured an enemy soldier, tying down at least two of his colleagues to carry him in the battlefield. Conversely, the 7.62mm rifle was better for counter-insurgency since terrorists had to be killed at the first instance, eliminating the risk of “suicide bombing”. Soldiers largely use the 7.62mm AK-47 rifles for counter-insurgency operations in Kashmir and the northeast, even though the infantry is saddled with the indigenous glitch-prone 5.56mm INSAS (Indian small arms system) rifles. The fully-automatic Excalibur, which fires 5.56x45mm ammunition, is a much-improved version of INSAS rifle that entered service in 1994-1995. But the Army now wants 7.62mm rifles for greater lethality. The Army’s overambitious experiment to induct rifles with interchangeable barrels, with a 5.56x45mm primary barrel for conventional warfare and a 7.62x39mm secondary one for counter-terrorism, miserably flopped last year.As was first reported by TOI in May last year, the proposed mega project was junked since the rifles on offer by armament firms like Colt (US), Beretta (Italy), Ceska (Czech) and Israel Weapon Industries were not found cost-effective or suitable after extensive trials. Under the project, 65,000 rifles were to be directly acquired from the selected vendor to equip the 120 infantry battalions deployed on the western and eastern fronts. The OFB was to then subsequently manufacture over 1,13,000 such rifles after getting transfer of technology from the foreign company .

http://idrw.org/army-hunts-lethal-assault-rifle-junks-drdos-excalibur/#more-100279

Source:idrw.org
For any new RFI from army you need not depend on news sites(definitely not TOI-let), just go to Indian army website.

There has been no RFI for assault rifle in last two years, only sniper rifle to my knowledge.

Hari Sud

Country flag
This news article was a setup to confuse unsuspecting public.

The Times of India should have policy to question reporters for their sources and news item they file.

Unless the lively Defence Minister comes out and says that INSAS, Excaliber, Ghatak are dumped, I wish not to believe them.

I want news "Hawks" to stop undermining the modified INSAS and Excaliber rifles.

sydsnyper

Country flag
Nice clicks @Shaitan

@Kunal Biswas - In this pic and one youtube video of recruits training on the INSAS, I noticed that they are leaning away from the rifle. I dont know how much the shaved tip of the AK helps with barrel rise, but it may not be much for the heavy 7.62x39 round. ** In the pic, see the person in the foreground..

In my experience on the gun range, I have found that leaning into the firearm, helps with recoil & reduces time to re-acquire the target. I have also seen it to help friends whom I advised on this matter.

Can you please share your thoughts on this and let me know if this is just a one off bad stance or is it factor left to the operator to decide on based on their preference.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its a normal stance to balance the gun, while trying to stabilize the weapon and focus on the sights and target mostly for beginners, As they get older they will get proper training and get rid of these habits ..

Leaning into a little is the correct stance, The first cadet ( Second Vid ) has higher barrel rise and leaning backwards, if one lean back he will get further away, some of this are due to poor upper body strength and some for some just natural way to balance the gun which they have to be taught to lean into it, that is not natural and puts stress on the body, training is for what does not come naturally, The second cadet is doing well but need little improvement ..

With INSAS 1B,1B1 its always a little heavy from front, Its design as per Indian Army Requirement ..

Can you please share your thoughts on this and let me know if this is just a one off bad stance or is it factor left to the operator to decide on based on their preference.

OrangeFlorian

Anon Supreme
:drool:
Its a normal stance to balance the gun, while trying to stabilize the weapon and focus on the sights and target mostly for beginners, As they get older they will get proper training and get rid of these habits ..

Leaning into a little is the correct stance, The first cadet ( Second Vid ) has higher barrel rise and leaning backwards, if one lean back he will get further away, some of this are due to poor upper body strength and some for some just natural way to balance the gun which they have to be taught to lean into it, that is not natural and puts stress on the body, training is for what does not come naturally, The second cadet is doing well but need little improvement ..

With INSAS 1B,1B1 its always a little heavy from front, Its design as per Indian Army Requirement ..
Swaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag :drool::drool:

Hari Sud

Country flag
This news article was a setup to confuse unsuspecting public.

The Times of India should have policy to question reporters for their sources and news item they file.

Unless the lively Defence Minister comes out and says that INSAS, Excaliber, Ghatak are dumped, I wish not to believe them.

I want news "Hawks" to stop undermining the modified INSAS and Excaliber rifles.

Has anybody researched enough to prove the Indian Army switching to 7.62 caliber instead of 5.56 as the recent report said.

If this report proved false, then this Presstitute's name be placed on the top of this forum in the headings so that everybody know not to trust him.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
@Kunal Biswas what is the life of insas rifle? and
why can't we use steel bullets coated in copper instead of lead slugs in copper jacket which is costlier?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles