INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

pmaitra

See what Russian used to propgate:
Picatinny-rail on an AKM/AK-47?

You do realize the Russians no longer use the AKM/AK-47? The Russians use the AK-74.

What is purpose of installing a Picatinny-rain on an AKM?

ghost

@ghost, why are you posting a ten year old prototype when there are plenty of pictures of newer INSAS rifles that look much better?

What's wrong with fit and finish here?

Tell me, in what way does this look any worse than the other examples you have posted?
Sir,

The majority of army has the one I posted ,let's say that they have improved on fit and finish but other points still stand.

pmaitra

Sir,

The majority of army has the one I posted ,let's say that they have improved on fit and finish but other points still stand.
No, the majority of the Army does not use the one you posted.

This is not about the colour or the furniture. This is about a prototype-rifle vs a production rifle. Majority of the Army uses the production rifle, not the prototype that you have posted.

The flimsy plastic issue was resolved several years back. There was another issue with the magazines. That was also resolved several years back. The plastic parts are supplied by private companies.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Some more as a continuation of the above:

Last edited:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag
Picatinny-rail on an AKM/AK-47?

You do realize the Russians no longer use the AKM/AK-47? The Russians use the AK-74.

What is purpose of installing a Picatinny-rain on an AKM?
Spetsnaz had been using 1960s AKs in urban warfare till late.During the indo russian exercise couple of years back AKs were spotted with V.D.V though in few numbers long with AK74s.Most of them with spetsnaz could ave been upgraded to SOPMOD versions.Just check the pics of Russian Alfas posted by ghost in russian SF thread you could see AKMs or AK103s upgraded with rails that houses all those fancy equipment available in the world.

pmaitra

Spetsnaz had been using 1960s AKs in urban warfare till late.During the indo russian exercise couple of years back AKs were spotted with V.D.V though in few numbers long with AK74s.Most of them with spetsnaz could ave been upgraded to SOPMOD versions.Just check the pics of Russian Alfas posted by ghost in russian SF thread you could see AKMs or AK103s upgraded with rails that houses all those fancy equipment available in the world.
What do you mean by AKs?

AK-what?

AKM and AK103 are completely different things.

AKM is an AK-47 with a stamped receiver. AK-103 was built decades after. There is no comparison.

ghost

No, the majority of the Army does not use the one you posted.

This is not about the colour or the furniture. This is about a prototype-rifle vs a production rifle. Majority of the Army uses the production rifle, not the prototype that you have posted.

The flimsy plastic issue was resolved several years back. There was another issue with the magazines. That was also resolved several years back. The plastic parts are supplied by private companies.

The specimen in this study was factory fresh and manufactured by the R.F.I (Rifle Factory Ishapore), West Bengal. Date : Mar 12, 2010.

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?p=94020
I agree the black ones have better fit and finish but they are in small numbers and other points still stand.

Russian alpha AK 47

Last edited:

pmaitra

The specimen in this study was factory fresh and manufactured by the R.F.I (Rifle Factory Ishapore), West Bengal. Date : Mar 12, 2010.

I agree the black ones have better fit and finish but they are in small numbers and other points still stand.
That is INSAS 1B1. That is a newer version of the INSAS. The pictures are from the early version of the 1B1. I cannot tell which year it was made in. Neither does your link. Mar 12, 2010 is the date when the blog post was posted. That is not the manufacturing date.

The fit and finish in the rifle is poor. This cannot be a production rifle. I have seen rifles produced around 2005, and they had better fit and finish. My guess is that the pictures of the rifle you posted are from a rifle made around 1999-2000.

This is likely an evaluation example given to the person who reviewed it.

Here is an INSAS 1B1 from 2003

Another INSAS 1B1 from 2003

Look at the magazines. They are straighter. These are not AK-47s.

I see you added this picture later.

I can guarantee you, this is not an AK-47.

Last edited:

jouni

I hope you solve these problems, which we solved already fifty years ago.

ghost

@pmaitra sir ,

"The specimen in this study was factory fresh and manufactured by the R.F.I (Rifle Factory Ishapore)"

This was the quote and see one more quote " Last week I was given an opportunity to fiddle and inspect a bunch of INSAS rifles in detail by the local police."

He had written this on Mar 12, 2010 do the maths.It is the production version of 2010.

Any how the present black Insas has improved quality I agree on that.But still there are other points I mentioned .Maybe you are a purist ,but forces around the world are not.

Hari Sud

Country flag
@pmaitra sir ,

"The specimen in this study was factory fresh and manufactured by the R.F.I (Rifle Factory Ishapore)"

This was the quote and see one more quote " Last week I was given an opportunity to fiddle and inspect a bunch of INSAS rifles in detail by the local police."

He had written this on Mar 12, 2010 do the maths.It is the production version of 2010.

Any how the present black Insas has improved quality I agree on that.But still there are other points I mentioned .Maybe you are a purist ,but forces around the world are not.

No need to continue this conversation that which has been newer INSAS model. This rifle is fine, as the last COAS says in his TV interview. What he also said that changing time require changed weapon personal weapon system. He hinted that an auto fire would be an added benefit.

All this humbug about bad INSAS is arms merchant's created hype. The irony is that their rifles also failed tests miserably under Indian conditions. India definitely is not buying it for European theatre. These have to succeed under India conditions.

Excalibur may not be sexy looking but it did pass tests way ahead of the four imports tested. Shame on you the foreign suppliers. Ever since they have failed, they have begun foul mouthing the INSAS all over again. They are using a few highly vocal posters on defence magazines and forums.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag
What do you mean by AKs?

AK-what?

AKM and AK103 are completely different things.

AKM is an AK-47 with a stamped receiver. AK-103 was built decades after. There is no comparison.
AKMs ar officially replaced.But they are still issued in limited numbers to special units because of its sheer power and also thee effectiveness of subsonic ammo it could fire.Some pics of russian soldiers in recent times.

http://vitalykuzmin.net/?q=node/379

pmaitra

@ALBY, thanks for the pictures. You are correct, AKM is used in limited numbers. The pictures @ghost posted are of AK-74, not AKM, not AK-47.

@ghost, it is hard for me to believe that those pictures are of a rifle produced in 2010. I will tell you the reasons why:
  • The plastics are poorly finished.
  • The cut where the buttstock attaches to the rifle is poorly matched.
  • The plastic part on top of the gas pipe is, admittedly by the author, finicky, that it breaks. This was true when a private company called Neelkamal was supplying these plastic parts. Later on, these problems were resolved. I don't know whether they still supply the plastic parts, or some other company.
  • Later model plastic parts were well finished, whether the furniture is tan or black. The colour of the furniture does not matter. The metallic parts are the same, whether the furniture is tan or black. The pictures I have posted of INSAS from 2003 proves it.
DSC05558.jpg
07022012426.jpg
DSC05559.jpg
INSAS-Close.jpg

Perhaps you can ask Cottage Cheese when actually those rifles were produced. I don't believe these were produced in 2010. I have seen INSAS with the rifle in my hand. The only thing I haven't done is shot bullets out of it. Next time there is an Industrial or Trade Fair, please do visit and see the INSAS with your own eyes. It might not prove when the rifles in your post were produced, but you will see what the real quality of the rifles are.

I hope you solve these problems, which we solved already fifty years ago.
What problem did you solve fifty years ago that you hope we solve?

Last edited:

pmaitra

Excalibur may not be sexy looking but it did pass tests way ahead of the four imports tested. Shame on you the foreign suppliers. Ever since they have failed, they have begun foul mouthing the INSAS all over again. They are using a few highly vocal posters on defence magazines and forums.
Bro, trust me. I have known @ghost and @ALBY for a while. I am certain they are individuals like you and I. They are entitled to their opinion. While I agree with you that INSAS is much better than it is given credit for, we can perhaps focus on the message and not the messenger.

ghost

@pmaitra sir ,

Probably they are ak 74 my mistake .I know the later produced insas have better quality ,I have simply mentioned what the poster had written " factory fresh batch" anyhow leave it .What matter is that army wants new rifle,which one will it be ?is yet not clear.You said that you like MCIWS due to its looks else insas was fine,where as I just wanted to point out that it has many features better than insas apart from looks.

Do you have any idea why the upper hand guard is slightly longer than the lower one and why they are not properly mated.

pmaitra

@ghost, let me clarify. I like the MCIWS. My opinion is motivated purely by its looks. While looks are good from the marketing and publicity point of view, the most important thing is how it performs.

There is no point in having a rifle that looks tacticool, but fails in the user tests, like the recent foreign rifles. Hence, I wished ARDE all the best so that the MCIWS satisfies the user, not merely by looks, but by functionality and performance.

I do not know why the upper foregrip is longer. This tendency has been carried over from the INSAS, where the upper foregrip extends forwards. I couldn't imagine any reason other than being easy to pull out while dis-assembly.

ghost

@pmaitra sir ,

In the news report they have stated that army has asked arde to develop Excalibur mk2 ,but why are they not testing MCIWS is what I fail to understand . There are reports of new tender of assault rifles, which make things even more confusing.Photo of improved version of MCIWS means that trial and testing is going on mciws.I have written to minister of defence state and director general of acquisition seeking clarity in this matter. I have yet to receive any response.

pmaitra

@ghost, did you see the MCIWS? The fit and finish is as good as US made Colt ARs. This will be very expensive to produce.

The INSAS has a lot of stamped metal parts. Corresponding parts in MCIWS are cast metal and machined. IA will not be able to afford MCIWS for every infantryman. I reason that the Excalibur will be the main weapon, and the MCIWS will be for special ops.

Articles