INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

AshutoshNSingh

Re: This lightweight packs a punch

An India Today article says that all including Kalantak, Amogh & initial version of MSMC with a higher weight than desired & >99.7% accuracy failed Armed Forces trials. Will share the link as soon as I recover it.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Wonder how we are using these if they failed trails ?, Waiting for your source ..

An India Today article says that all including Kalantak, Amogh & initial version of MSMC with a higher weight than desired & >99.7% accuracy failed Armed Forces trials. Will share the link as soon as I recover it.

Ky Loung

>99.7% accuracy fail? I'm still trying to figure what this means.

Ky Loung

SWAT units ..
3rd Generation Glock 17. Can't go wrong with Glock.

Around 80% of US local law enforcement (town, city, and state) use Glock. At the Federal level around 50% are issue with Glock. Several US military special force units are equipped with Glock 19. For civilian the Glock 19 is the most popular because it small enough to be conceal and big enough to replace a full length pistol. Glock 19 is the right size for a lot of people. Most Law enforcement are issue Glock 22 because it chamber .40S&W.

All my Glocks I own are 2nd generation.

Twinblade

Country flag

>99.7% accuracy fail? I'm still trying to figure what this means.
The army wanted less than 3 stoppages per 1000 rounds in worst case scenarios. The report is conflicting at that part because the reporter fumbled up
The weight has now dropped to an acceptable 3.1kg and a reliability of 99.4 per cent (3 stoppages for every 1,000 rounds fired) but the Army wants it to reach 99.7 per cent. The Army will buy 2.18 lakh of the carbines for Rs.2,183 crore if the MSMC passes the test.

Read more at: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/indian-forces-face-gun-crisis/1/137309.html

-----------------------------------------------------

IMHO, once MSMC/JVPC/Milap goes into production, a sidearm using 5.56x30mm ammunition should also be developed on the lined of Fn- five seven pistol.

Last edited:

sbm

Country flag
Traditional design and Bullpup have their own cons and pros, 1B1 however has better Iron sight and design ..
Not really what I meant. What I meant was - what does that Vietnamese article actually mean or say ? The translation seems to point to the 1B1 being a good weapon better than theirs ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Dr Datar expressed satisfaction on the successful user trials of MSMC or Joint Venture Protective Carbine (JVPC)

Source : http://drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/nl/2013/NL_Nov_2013_web.pdf

Thanks to @sayareakd Sir for pointing this news out .. :)

=============

Bansal said OFB will also soon put up carbine machine guns developed jointly with Defence and Research Development Organization (DRDO) for trials. Earlier, there were plans to develop the weapon with Singapore-based ST Kinetics, but the project could not take off following a commission scandal.
Army places part orders for Indian Bofors - The Times of India

ARDE has called tenders for various MSMC parts in July.

Thanks to @Twinblade for pointing this news out .. :)

=============

Don`t post outdated articles ..

Last edited by a moderator:

Senyor Sandeep

Thank you for sharing these pictures, Kunal. We Indians need to learn more about aesthetics, instead of just focusing on functionality. The orange/yellow color really makes it look bad. They should have made the entire gun in dark brown/dark auburn color with some walnut like texture.

Something like these!

www(dot)kswood(dot)com/images/engineerFlooring/modern/OakDarkWalnutColor_01(dot)jpg
www(dot)douaihypourlebois(dot)com/new/images/woodgrain/h1137b(dot)jpg

Cheers.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Thank you for sharing these pictures, Kunal. We Indians need to learn more about aesthetics, instead of just focusing on functionality. The orange/yellow color really makes it look bad. They should have made the entire gun in dark brown/dark auburn color with some walnut like texture.

Something like these!

www(dot)kswood(dot)com/images/engineerFlooring/modern/OakDarkWalnutColor_01(dot)jpg
www(dot)douaihypourlebois(dot)com/new/images/woodgrain/h1137b(dot)jpg

Cheers.
All new INSAS are coming in black color from OFB. If you see old AKs they had same kind of color for several years.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Ajnabi

We Indians need to learn more about aesthetics, instead of just focusing on functionality.
Not the aesthetics but the ergonomic design that's most important, which increases the user performance by some good percentage, along with improving its aesthetics. But Indian PSU arms manufacturers don't know whats Ergonomics and often misinterpret it as aesthetics, which they least care about.

'Aam khane se matlab hai ki guthli ginane se.'

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Western smart rifles have failed Indian conditions, it is more to do with practical rifle on field, rather then have style at the field where the life and death matter.

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles