INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

The Last Stand

Country flag
Western smart rifles have failed Indian conditions, it is more to do with practical rifle on field, rather then have style at the field where the life and death matter.
Sir, while I do not dispute your statement as we all know your vast knowledge, it would nice if there is any public domain info about these trials or if you could mention the make of the western smart rifles.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Sir, while I do not dispute your statement as we all know your vast knowledge, it would nice if there is any public domain info about these trials or if you could mention the make of the western smart rifles.
wait for some more time and they are going to give result of the tender.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Any idea on the final number of guns to be produced? Initial production is 50000 units but that is not enough for our army.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
M4 carbine under PARAs failed here, About ergonomic design with current AR in IA, Its not really difficult to make changes with Kits available in Arm bazaar ..

I have posted very details to change 1B1`s Grip and Butt stock above that BSF introduced P-rail mounted Bulgarian UBGL under 1B1 ..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
According to report, Only first phase will get a 50,000 units, Sound similar to Number of AK bought for CT some years back ..

Any idea on the final number of guns to be produced? Initial production is 50000 units but that is not enough for our army.

sgarg

Fully support OFB efforts to supply infantry. All OFB units should have sufficient orders. Rifles should be kept in reserve also, so there is a case for building rifles more than actual requirements.

Small weapons should always be there is large quantities. Rifles, bullets, items of personal protection etc. should be made on a regular basis and in large numbers.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
OFB set up Excalibur manufacturing back in 2004, In my view the Excalibur is coming up with 7.62x39mm ..

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
@Kunal sir
which is best gas system
1)Direct impingement
2)long stroke piston
3)short stroke piston

Last edited by a moderator:

pramsin

Country flag
M4 carbine under PARAs failed here, About ergonomic design with current AR in IA, Its not really difficult to make changes with Kits available in Arm bazaar ..

I have posted very details to change 1B1`s Grip and Butt stock above that BSF introduced P-rail mounted Bulgarian UBGL under 1B1 ..
Hi Mr. Biswas I am American citizen. Is there any way to by Insas Excaliber for myself. If yes how should I go about it?

ghost

Hi Mr. Biswas I am American citizen. Is there any way to by Insas Excaliber for myself. If yes how should I go about it?
Sir,

Indians civilians are not sold these weapons as per law,they do export these.But will they export it to individual as a single order,I don't know.Please visit the link below and contact them regarding your question.

Ordnance Factory Board

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Unfortunately, IOF does not export its AR outside India nor in Civil in India ..

Blood+

Country flag
@Ray Sir,I have a few questions to ask you.

1.Sir,as you know,the standard issue battle rifle of the Pakistani Army regulars is the HK G3A3 which are chambered for 7.62X51 mm NATO rounds.So don't you think that in any confrontations with them,the Indian Army soldiers will be at a serious disadvantage in terms of range and the 'punch' of their rifles??Do you still think that replacing the SLRs with INSAS was the right idea??

2.And secondly,approximately how many rounds of small arms ammunition are issued to each Indian Army infantry man per year for target practice purposes??

By the way,feel free to ignore the 2nd question if you think the information is classified and disclosing it could lead to some compromise or something.

Thanks in advance.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@Ray Sir,I have a few questions to ask you.

1.Sir,as you know,the standard issue battle rifle of the Pakistani Army regulars is the HK G3A3 which are chambered for 7.62X51 mm NATO rounds.So don't you think that in any confrontations with them,the Indian Army soldiers will be at a serious disadvantage in terms of range and the 'punch' of their rifles??Do you still think that replacing the SLRs with INSAS was the right idea??

2.And secondly,approximately how many rounds of small arms ammunition are issued to each Indian Army infantry man per year for target practice purposes??

By the way,feel free to ignore the 2nd question if you think the information is classified and disclosing it could lead to some compromise or something.

Thanks in advance.
For rifles true lethality is a function of marksmanship more than it is calibre. Targeting from the head down the centre-mass to the groin will kill every time. Hit to the central nervous system causes immediate incapacitation regardless of calibre or type of projectile!

The factors that are considered by experts are
"¢Inadequate suppressive effect (fire ignored)

"¢Unreliable terminal effectiveness (erratic yaw)

"¢Lack of barrier penetration (easily stopped or deflected)

While the 7.62 has its shortcomings (weight, recoil, suppression problems) the range and lethality of the 7.62 round is a plus point over 5.56mm.

It is claimed that the 5.56 is better than 7.62 because it has comparable lethality, less recoil and hence, better for the firer to keep the weapon steady and so more accurate., This was more so, because 5.56 has a flatter trajectory and shorter time of flight out to 700 meters. It is said that weapons chambered for 5.56 are lighter, and have better hit probability.

The tactical reason that was said when the 5.56 concept was introduced was that it was felt that it was a better combat spinoff if the enemy soldier was maimed and not killed.

By killing the enemy soldier, be it in attack or defence, it would be the end of story.

On the other hand, if the enemy soldier was maimed, be it in defence or attack, his flailing in agonising pain and howling would be demoralising to the other enemy soldiers and would reduce their resolve and thus would be a psychological force multiplier for those who fired the weapons to maim.

Then after the attack, it would require soldiers, to pick up the wounded, if they are not dead already, in the same pitiable condition, which would demoralise further, apart from reducing the bayonet strength for the counter attack; for the attacker to ward off with reduced bayonet strength the inevitable counter attack that comes after a successful capture of the objective; and for the defender, to muster up the adequate bayonet strength to counter attack the objective lost and regain it again.

Then, though the wounded are taken out of the battlefield to military hospitals by a different route than the route that is used to bring in fresh troops from the rear, yet in mountains and in some other places, this may not be feasible. Therefore, when the convoys taking out the wounded and those which are bringing in fresh reinforcements cross, the horror seeing gruesome injuries demoralises the fresh troops coming in, which reduces their fervour to fight.

That said, there is no doubt that the 'stopping power' of the 7.62 is more than that of 5.56 and that is why sniper rifles are still of the former calibre.

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles