INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
the million dollar question why do we we need this now when DRDO have developed Multicaliber rifle, second i don't see any advantages over the current INSAS rifle

the best way is supply this AK variant to all our police force which still uses the 303 rifles just my opnion

i feel the best way to justify replacing INSAS is DRDO multi caliber rifle even it take little time for induction just my 2 cents

ghost

This is an improved version of any assault rifle and the designers borrowed several facets from the 5.56mm Insas
If this is true,then most probably it is Excaliber rifle design to chamber 7.62 with 30 round magazine ,auto mode and fire rate of 600rpm which it already have.

I would have loved to see trichy succeed,with some minor modification . It was based on SLR ,hence would have been reliable and accurate.

Ky Loung

If they use the same classic body design of the Kalashnikovs than it is already outdated for the modern battlefield. Even the Russian high command realized the AK body design is obsolete. Hopefully they use a two piece modular design with ergonomics in mind like most modern rifles.

I highly recommend Indian Small Arms Engineers take a plane trip to the USA for the next Shot Show. It will give them ideas how fast modern small have progressed in the last few years.

Russia says no to Kalashnikovs - English pravda.ru

Russian Chief Of Staff Says AK47 Belongs In Garbage Can

This year has seen the end of the longstanding tradition of the Soviet times. Russia's Defense Ministry has decided to completely refuse from purchasing the legendary AK-74 rifles for the army. There are two reasons for that: the country has too many Kalashnikovs and they are outdated.

Nikolai Makarov, the Chief of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces said: "Yes, we have refused. The reserves that we have in the country exceed the needs considerably."

Afterwards, the official destroyed the AK-74 completely having said that the Kalashnikovs were not good for the army.

Twinblade

Country flag
the million dollar question why do we we need this now when DRDO have developed Multicaliber rifle, second i don't see any advantages over the current INSAS rifle

the best way is supply this AK variant to all our police force which still uses the 303 rifles just my opnion

i feel the best way to justify replacing INSAS is DRDO multi caliber rifle even it take little time for induction just my 2 cents
A) There's a lot of love for the 7.62x39 mm round in the forces, it's established beyond reason now.
B) A lot of police forces and units have standardised around 7.62x39 mm (for eg:- Delhi Police uses AKMs instead of INSAS)
C) MCIWS/INSAS-F rifle will be expensive and is still close to half a decade away. Any changes made in one variant of the rifle will reflect in all variants, hence the development period will be long.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Country flag
The gun in the ToI article looks like H&K sub-machinegun or carbine. It certainly is not an AKM clone.

Edit:

Yep, I was right. It is the Heckler & Koch MP5 SMG:

I meant that ak shown in the other thread. Didnt even click on the article, figured it was in it.

Ky Loung

INSAS does have a full-auto variant (not sure whether it is 1B1). These were supplied to Nepal, which ended up in disaster for them, with barrel overheating problems, from what I have heard.
All barrel overheat when going full auto. The question is how fast. Thin barrel will heat up faster than heavy barrel. However thin barrel will cool down faster than heavy barrel. Heat is what degrade and destroy barrel. No firearms is immune to heat built up. It is how the operator and the firearm manage the heat built up.

The more heat you built up the greater the chances the ammo cook off. Cook off is the process where the ammo ignite without the need to pull the trigger. In an AR15 platform there is a good chance the gas tube will melt before the ammo cook off. Making the AR15 a bolt action rifle. For other rifles it might go Kaboom! while the ammo cooked off.

Americans warriors manage their heat by going semi-auto with their rifle (AR15/M4/M16/etc) 99.9% of the time. Going full auto is for the guy that is humping the light machine gun. He manage the heat problem by quick changing the barrel when needed.

Full auto or burst will of course put more stress on the firearm and mounted accessories. As a general rule you loctite everything (optic, rails, bipod, etc) that is screwed into the rifle. This is especially true with firearms going full auto. If you don't loctite the screws everything will fall apart sooner or later. Most likely sooner and in a firefight.

Loctite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
Ishapore rifle factory design Rifle goes into mass production ..

======================
Thats good AK47 has been always a reliable weapon Having one based on it is great....

I am assuming one thing here.... If it has entered mass production it means that the trials have been more than successful and User is very happy with it....otherwise it would have been other way round ...

That is sufficient to answer the need of this weapon....
I will agree with Police and other forces using it.... it will surely be helpful....
What is the status of Multi caliber Rifle of DRDO.... I am not sure it is ready for mass production... not having much info about it do shed some light.....

If this is true,then most probably it is Excaliber rifle design to chamber 7.62 with 30 round magazine ,auto mode and fire rate of 600rpm which it already have.
I would have loved to see trichy succeed,with some minor modification . It was based on SLR ,hence would have been reliable and accurate.
What Minor modifications are you seeking????

A) There's a lot of love for the 7.62x39 mm round in the forces, it's established beyond reason now.
B) A lot of police forces and units have standardised around 7.62x39 mm (for eg:- Delhi Police uses AKMs instead of INSAS)
C) MCIWS/INSAS-F rifle will be expensive and is still close to half a decade away. Any changes made in one variant of the rifle will reflect in all variants, hence the development period will be long.
:thumb:

ghost

@Pulkit sir,

1 Stock A modular stock which is Adjustable at different positions,side folding,can be fired from folded position ,has a recoil compensation system which reduce the felt recoil ,adjustable cheek rest etc etc.

2 Handguard A light weight modular handguard with detachable P rail on upside and down ,and slot rail sections in sides where more rails can be added as per need.This will help to mount multiple sights,laser ,fore grip,UGBL and various other accessories as per need.

3 Transparent magazine

The final product will look like this

ghost

Re: Trichy Assault Rifle

@Pulkit sir,

1 Stock A modular stock which is Adjustable at different positions,side folding,can be fired from folded position ,has a recoil compensation system which reduce the felt recoil ,adjustable cheek rest etc etc.

2 Handguard A light weight modular handguard with detachable P rail on upside and down ,and slot rail sections in sides where more rails can be added as per need.This will help to mount multiple sights,laser ,fore grip,UGBL and various other accessories as per need.

3 Transparent magazine

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
No Sir bhai .... My knowledge is way limited to be called SIR.... I learn from you people here

These are not minor changes my friend..... This will lead to reshaping re evaluation.... I am not sure if all the req u suggested are needed or yet not implemented .... but these are nice changes if required....
3 Transparent magazine
Transparent hmmm that might be possible even today .... will be good.....

Articles