INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
@Kunal Bhai, Bhai what about the Multi Caliber Rifle designed by OFB?

Has it been tested? I think its arty is also very good when compared with INSAS and please bring to light some feature in comparison with INSAS.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Hari Sud

Country flag
The arms merchant with their blue glossy brochures prove to the media that Indian rifle is inadequate. That battle is fought in the hearts and minds of the public and the army. It seems they are already successful. There is a major putsch to replace to an already working and proven INSAS rifle. When it comes to proving their own weapon like Baretta MX4 (as Saurav Jha says above) they turn to blame India for everything including factory rust. There are innumerable such cases all over. Indian Army will not take Vidhawansak anti material rifle, although it is proven. Their point, it is five pounds too heavy. Read in between the line they have set their sight on American anti material rifle. In fact the GSQR was deliberately set fourteen years back to buy the American rifle and perpetually hand over the ammunition supply to them. No amount of persuasion will help.

Such is the rot in the army's mind set that some generals need to be retired. If they continue on, they will continue to oppose the indian products by calling them defective with hands off policy. As General Yadav is quoted by Saurav Jha above that time it took to get a new GSQR and RFP out, it would have been easier to improve any known defects in the INSAS rifle.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I cannot say much about Multi-cal as i haven't fired it, But from out side Multi-cal has edge over INSAS 1B1 in Gas system so does has P-rails for optics and other electronics ..

We will know more once it induced into service ..

@Kunal Bhai, Bhai what about the Multi Caliber Rifle designed by OFB?

Has it been tested? I think its arty is also very good when compared with INSAS and please bring to light some feature in comparison with INSAS.......

Blood+

Country flag
I cannot say much about Multi-cal as i haven't fired it, But from out side Multi-cal has edge over INSAS 1B1 in Gas system so does has P-rails for optics and other electronics ..

We will know more once it induced into service ..

@Kunal bhai,do you know about the gas system in Multi-Cal rifle??Which kind of gas system it is fitted with - a.short stroke piston as in the HK 416 or
b.direct impingement as in the AR 15/M 16??

And any news about the lower receiver??Is it a stamped one or a milled one??

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Short stroke piston, I think the lower receiver is stamped ..

@Kunal bhai,do you know about the gas system in Multi-Cal rifle??Which kind of gas system it is fitted with - a.short stroke piston as in the HK 416 or
b.direct impingement as in the AR 15/M 16??

And any news about tge lower receiver??Is it a stamped one or a milled one??

Blood+

Country flag
Short stroke piston, I think the lower receiver is stamped ..
Thanks Kunal bhai,it was a good idea to go with the short stroke way,rather than going the direct impingement or long stroke way.But they could have gone for a milled receiver.Going with a stamped one for INSAS was necessary since back then the economy was weak,but now I think that India can afford a standard issue rifle with a milled receiver.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
India has a huge Army nearly 3 million strong, Additional to that 1 million paramilitary forces to keep up fast production, Stamped receiver is light and can be produce faster than Milled ones, Its not economy but availability to the Ground forces ..

Thanks Kunal bhai,it was a good idea to go with the short stroke way,rather than going the direct impingement or long stroke way.But they could have gone for a milled receiver.Going with a stamped one for INSAS was necessary since back then the economy was weak,but now I think that India can afford a standard issue rifle with a milled receiver.

Blood+

Country flag
You sure about the alloy @Twinblade ??It's great news if it's true.

sgarg

Dumb question: Why INSAS rifles cann't be fixed. If one or two components are malfunctioning or have poor quality, new better made parts can be bought to replace old parts.

Why there is question on the whole inventory?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Today their are no issues in Units regarding the quality of 1B1, Parts are changed if found malfunctioning in older 1B1s ..

Dumb question: Why INSAS rifles cann't be fixed. If one or two components are malfunctioning or have poor quality, new better made parts can be bought to replace old parts.

sgarg

Thanks for clarifying. So quality issues have been addressed.

The import lobbies are very active in India and are regularly come out with "news" which is mostly misleading. The government should take action against Press if journalists are found giving out incorrect statements.

sydsnyper

Country flag
I have never understood the logic of berets. I remember during my NCC days, it was the only uncomfortable piece of my uniform. It was a hindrance and discomforting. I wish the military used beanies instead.

BSF Jawan with Older 1B1 ..

AshutoshNSingh

During those days, It was just call Insas Carbine ..

Shorter barrel INSAS 1b1 was transformed in Kalantak ..

======================
======================

The below was my work, It was done on Paint ..
An AK or AK based rifle can never be successful in bullpup conversion

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles